Thanks Jason Varitek!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Thanks Jason Varitek!

In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek!:
    What a jackazz.  The fact that you still feel the need to revel in myopic criticism of Tek's declining years, at this time, is truly incredible.  You really can't appreciate Varitek's career and what he has meant to the Red Sox? I was the only poster and fan who campaigned to kick this guy to the curb! Pardon me if I am not ready to switch to nostalgia mode and praise what Varitek was paid over 100 million to do. I noted that years down the road, Varitek may return to good graces. For now, he belongs in purgatory, as those are his wages. He is an example of fooligh pride and arrogance. Adhering to the "two consenting adults" religion and entitlement from prior works has damaged many innocent family members. My hope is that athletic mortality has breathed some much needed humility into his mind.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

It is interesting that you put the monetary reward for jason's poor perfromance in his declining years on him and not on the front office who inked him to those deals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

It is interesting that you put the monetary reward for jason's poor perfromance in his declining years on him and not on the front office who inked him to those deals.

Ownership had good intentions, and Varitek took advantage of those good intentions and the good will he had built up with ownership. Very difficult for this outstanding ownership leadership to remind Varitek that athletic mortality has been beating his door down, for years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It is interesting that you put the monetary reward for jason's poor perfromance in his declining years on him and not on the front office who inked him to those deals. Ownership had good intentions, and Varitek took advantage of those good intentions and the good will he had built up with ownership. Very difficult for this outstanding ownership leadership to remind Varitek that athletic mortality has been beating his door down, for years.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

You often lay out severe chastisements toward management when they misread obvious projections of decline or poor performance and overpay for players.  Yet, in this case, you put the onus of that misread on Varitek.  This speaks to a personal prejudice towards Varitek that veers you from your own sound judgement of personnel management.  When have you ever forgiven ownerships 'good intentions'?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Yet, in this case, you put the onus of that misread on Varitek.  This speaks to a personal prejudice towards Varitek

Wakefield and Lowell will tell you that I am not motivated by "personal prejudice". I have no personal prejudice towards Varitek, which is about as weak a retort as one could contrive.

I would say the onus is on the contract payee, to provide the quality service he is paid to provide. To shift the focus to ownership, the devil made me do it, is even weaker than "personan animus". There is a difference in culpability for wrecklessly jumbo mortgaging the budget on a pipe dream, and offering a good intentioned one year bottom tier good will contract to a begging veteran player who hasn't been fit for the position for the last few years.

But, ultimately, the onus most certainly is on the man paid to produce at a positon that requires a sufficient skill level on both sides of the ball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yet, in this case, you put the onus of that misread on Varitek.  This speaks to a personal prejudice towards Varitek Wakefield and Lowell will tell you that I am not motivated by " personal prejudice". I have no personal prejudice towards Varitek, which is about as weak a retort as one could contrive. I would say the onus is on the contract payee, to provide the quality service he is paid to provide. To shift the focus to ownership, the devil made me do it, is even weaker than "personan animus". There is a difference in culpability for wrecklessly jumbo mortgaging the budget on a pipe dream, and offering a good intentioned one year bottom tier good will contract to a begging veteran player who hasn't been fit for the position for the last few years. But, ultimately, the onus most certainly is on the man paid to produce at a positon that requires a sufficient skill level on both sides of the ball.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

The fallacy in this arguement is that it is sport.  The onus is on the payee to give everything he has in the quest for success.  But, success is fleeting, especially in baseball.  The quality service comes in the players commitment and effort and focus.  Beyond that, the competition takes over in determining success or failure.  Based on many personal testimonies I have heard, jason was an exemplary employee in this way.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Love to have dinner with this guy to talk baseball. Watched him on the  live feed with Boston.com...they guy gave credit to everyone except himself...especially his parents and brothers...he is a man's man...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

the faceplant to arod was his finest moment...
    Posted by georom4

Maybe a technicality, but didn't Varitek end up in a headlock?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's sickening for the hate to still be so strong.

Yes, "Hate". That "liberal co-opted word" that fits the silly clowns antics perfectly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Beyond that, the competition takes over in determining success or failure.

You have sewn your own web. Varitek was a competitive failure for the last few good will welfare contracts, after being given the benefit of the doubt by ownership.

Reality and emotion don't work together. Jason Varitek had to be kicked to the curb, begging all the way there. He would not take responsiblity for the reality of his athletic mortality. Ownership was put in the position of having to offer him an inviation to spring training, which was what called Varitek's hand. Varitek wasn't willing to compete for his contract, he wanted it given to him. Mercifully, it's over, finally, and I'm relieved. Very ugly and painful, beginning back in 2008 when Varitek couldn't catch the ball like a MLB catcher, in the playoffs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

It's a shame that Varitek wasn't brought back as our BUC.  IMO, he would have been a better option than Shoppach.   The main advantage of having Shoppach over Varitek is that if Lavarnway is brought up midseason, it will be much easier to cut Shoppach then it would have been to cut Varitek.

Yes, I realize that Shoppach has a better throwing arm too.  But IMO, that doesn't outweigh what Varitek brings to the table.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Varitek didn't bring much to the 1/2 billion dollar 3 year table and one playoff win. I think the team can fail just as well without him, as with him. He has been washed up for years, and time and money is better spent on giving youth time and experience opportunity.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's a shame that Varitek wasn't brought back as our BUC.  IMO, he would have been a better option than Shoppach.   The main advantage of having Shoppach over Varitek is that if Lavarnway is brought up midseason, it will be much easier to cut Shoppach then it would have been to cut Varitek.

Yes, I realize that Shoppach has a better throwing arm too.  But IMO, that doesn't outweigh what Varitek brings to the table.

Shoppach aslo hits LHPs better than Vtek, and hopefully Bobby V will go with a L-R platoon instead of the personal caddy nonsense. Having a better arm is nice, but I'm not sure about the intangibles lost with VTek's departure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's a shame so many posters will remember VTek for just his last 3 years of service, but when you look closely and objectively at the numbers from 2009 to 2011 in context, you'll see he really did pretty well.

1) He was the back-up catcher for about 2 1/2 or those last 3 years.
    2) He had the 30th best WAR in MLB from 2009 (mostly as a #2 C)
    3) His .248 BAbip hurt his overall numbers, esp the .216 BA.
    4) His RBIs per PA places him in the top 12 (about 1 per 8 PA).
    5) He was 26th in OBP at .306 (.006 from 23rd).
    6) He was 18th in Slg% at .414 (.004 from 16th & .013 from 12th)
    7) He was 21st in OPS at .720 (.006 from 19th).
    8) A .720 OPS is better than 17 team catcher OPS from 2009-2011!
    9) His .414 Slg% is better than all but 4 team catcher Slg% from 09-11.
    10) He'd be better than 6 teams in OBP.

So many posters have unrealistic expectations for a catcher's offensive production. It is not a hitting position. Managers and GMs know that the catching position means a lot more than offense, but I find it surprising so many posters bashed him for his "poor offense".

The other bad rap was for his poor CS%. It was poor. Very poor. Part of the reason was the pitching staff and team philosophy to not worry about holding runners close to the bag, but his CS% would still have been poor anyways. Throwing is not the top measurement of what a catcher does behind the plate, but because it is the easiest to measure, it gets too much attention.

Even though VTek hit worse than the other catcher on our team the last 3 years (VMart and then Salty), it is not surprise to me that we still won more when he caught.

Team record with catcher with most innings caught in games:
                 2009   2010     2011      Total
    VTek    62-45  19-9    42-22    123-76   .618
    VMart  19-11  65-55    n/a        84-66   .560
    Salty     n/a       0-5    47-49      47-54   .465
    Other   14-11    5-4      1-1        20-16   .556

VTEK    .618
    Others .526

This is not a fluke. Pitchers did better with VTek behind the plate with them instead of the other catcher(s). A vast majority each year did better, and some did way better. Very few did worse, and none did worse with Vtek 2 or 3 out of the 3 years.

Individual pitcher's CERA and OPS against both back up the fact that they pitched better with VTek. We'll never know if this would have continued in 2012, but to bad mouth his 2009-2011 stretch as A BACK-UP CATCHER, is just plain idiotic.

The guy put up better than decent overall numbers as compared to most starting catchers the past 3 years. Expecting allstart numbers from a back-up is silly clown material.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Shoppach aslo hits LHPs better than Vtek, and hopefully Bobby V will go with a L-R platoon instead of the personal caddy nonsense. Having a better arm is nice, but I'm not sure about the intangibles lost with VTek's departure.
    Posted by moonslav59

I supported Varitek being Beckett's personal caddy, but with Varitek gone, I agree that a L-R platoon this year would serve the team better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

It's a shame so many posters will remember VTek for just his last 3 years of service, but when you look closely and objectively at the numbers from 2009 to 2011 in context, you'll see he really did pretty well. 1) He was the back-up catcher for about 2 1/2 or those last 3 years. 2) He had the 30th best WAR in MLB from 2009 (mostly as a #2 C) 3) His .248 BAbip hurt his overall numbers, esp the .216 BA. 4) His RBIs per PA places him in the top 12 (about 1 per 8 PA). 5) He was 26th in OBP at .306 (.006 from 23rd). 6) He was 18th in Slg% at .414 (.004 from 16th & .013 from 12th) 7) He was 21st in OPS at .720 (.006 from 19th). 8) A .720 OPS is better than 17 team catcher OPS from 2009-2011! 9) His .414 Slg% is better than all but 4 team catcher Slg% from 09-11. 10) He'd be better than 6 teams in OBP. So many posters have unrealistic expectations for a catcher's offensive production. It is not a hitting position. Managers and GMs know that the catching position means a lot more than offense, but I find it surprising so many posters bashed him for his "poor offense". The other bad rap was for his poor CS%. It was poor. Very poor. Part of the reason was the pitching staff and team philosophy to not worry about holding runners close to the bag, but his CS% would still have been poor anyways. Throwing is not the top measurement of what a catcher does behind the plate, but because it is the easiest to measure, it gets too much attention. Even though VTek hit worse than the other catcher on our team the last 3 years (VMart and then Salty), it is not surprise to me that we still won more when he caught.   Team record with catcher with most innings caught in games:              2009   2010     2011      Total VTek    62-45  19-9    42-22    123-76   .618 VMart  19-11  65-55    n/a        84-66   .560 Salty     n/a       0-5    47-49      47-54   .465 Other   14-11    5-4      1-1        20-16   .556 VTEK    .618 Others .526 This is not a fluke. Pitchers did better with VTek behind the plate with them instead of the other catcher(s). A vast majority each year did better, and some did way better. Very few did worse, and none did worse with Vtek 2 or 3 out of the 3 years. Individual pitcher's CERA and OPS against both back up the fact that they pitched better with VTek. We'll never know if this would have continued in 2012, but to bad mouth his 2009-2011 stretch as A BACK-UP CATCHER , is just plain idiotic. The guy put up better than decent overall numbers as compared to most starting catchers the past 3 years. Expecting allstart numbers from a back-up is silly clown material.
    Posted by moonslav59

Thank you for this post, Moon.

I wish I could give you a great big hug.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Dear Jason, thank you for the great momories, for being a leader on the greatest run of Sox success in history, for being such a stand-up baseball guy, and for retiring a Red Stocking.  Love- Spaceman E.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Thanks 'Tek. I remember Curt going to the 9th with a nono . He insisted on shaking off 'Tek a few times and of course the batter got a hit. Schilling and 'Tek had a brief mereting at the mound and 'Tek told him that there was a reason he wore a "C" on his uni. Schilling became a convert. While we don't know if this is the whole story, it is apropriate that no pitchher and their collective egos are smarter than the MAN.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek! : Thank you for this post, Moon. I wish I could give you a great big hug.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

I like hugs.

We all know VTek declined his last 3-4 years, but he still got the job done, and as a back-up catcher, he did very well. Last year, he had more PAs than all but one back-up catcher.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Obviously Varitek didn't do the job you claim, which leaves out the fact that he was unable to finish the last part of either season, standing up. But it also leaves out the fact that Varitek was wooden and washed up doing what catchers are required to do, catch the ball!

If Varitek had this affect on pitchers, your stupid comment about "drop the personal caddy" flies in the face of your magic fingers nonsense.

Bottom line, there was no market for Varitek or Wastefield, and they were kicked to the curb. If these old men were doing the quality jobs you claimed they were, the market wouldn't be what it is.

Reality humbles someone offering millions to Varitek and Wastefield. Good thing you aren't leading the good ole boys. The good ole boys have finally had their welfare cards revoked.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Tek hit one of the most important home runs in Sox history and no one will even remember it slightly. 2004 ALDS, Game 2 v. Anaheim, Pedro is down 3-1 in the 6th and Tek comes up and rocks a 2-run homer off Colon to tie the game. Sox go on to win and take a 2-0 series lead. It was a small thing in a big game and I'm not so sure the Sox even face the Yankees if they had gone 1-1 at Anaheim that year. Game 3 was a struggle too. Tek caught 4 no hitters, caught Pedro in his prime in the steroid era, and was a master of pre-game prepping. Thank you, Jason, for an entire career in one uniform--The Sox. I salute you, sir.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Hyperbole. Red Sox beat the Angels in that series, regardless of Varitek's HR.

When someone doesn't have the hard numbers stature, people resort to hyperbole and "intangibles" to campaign and try and rewrite history to persuade the audience of a player's alleged greatness, when there was nothing truly great about Varitek's career as a player. Very good is the extent of it, with an embarrassing ending where the team had to revoke his good ole boys welfare contracts cards to non-producing veterans who bring "other things to the table".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Tek was great!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Tek was not great!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Tek was great!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Captain Varitek, for me, epitomizes the finest qualities of a professional baseball player.  Unwaivering loyalty, unparalleled in his preparedness, and his committment to maintain his physical ability to withstand the punishing rigors of being a major league catcher.  Never made excuses.  Never a loud mouth.  No personal agenda.  Just a team player giving it his all even while he aged past his peak.  Players like Varitek are what Red Sox Nation is all about. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Tek was not great.

He was paid over 100 million to not make excuses. I'm not impressed by his attitude, anymore than a lot of MLB players.

Sections
Shortcuts