Thanks Jason Varitek!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Thanks Jason Varitek!

Tek was great!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Thanks to the best catcher in baseball. Four no-hitters. That record still stands. He was an amazing asset to this team, a gift, really. Anyone who has anything negative to say about him, should just ask the pitchers what they thought about him. I'm going to miss having him behind the plate, but I hope he will be given the opportunity to work with the team in some capacity. If not, our loss. Cheers, Jason!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Catcher's don't get "No-Hitters", pitchers do that. The players who played with Wilt Chamberlain didn't have a 100 Point game.

Tek was not great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek!:
    [QUOTE]Catcher's don't get "No-Hitters", pitchers do that. The players who played with Wilt Chamberlain didn't have a 100 Point game. Tek was not great.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'm sure it's just a coincidence he was the catcher. It's amazing he's all by himself with that stat. You'd think every catcher would just rack them up. Maybe you should ask the pitchers what they think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]Catcher's don't get "No-Hitters", pitchers do that. The players who played with Wilt Chamberlain didn't have a 100 Point game. Tek was not great.

And this pretty much sums up your lack of baseball acumen, in one brief post.

Congrats. I certainly wont waste any more of my time time responding to you.

Why anyone would is beyond me.

And lawyers wonder why they have such a lousy reputation...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks to the best catcher in baseball. Four no-hitters. That record still stands. He was an amazing asset to this team, a gift, really. Anyone who has anything negative to say about him, should just ask the pitchers what they thought about him. I'm going to miss having him behind the plate, but I hope he will be given the opportunity to work with the team in some capacity. If not, our loss. Cheers, Jason!
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE] WT_????..:)..j/k Kim....got respect for Tek'...though it always starts from the mound, i've always considered Tek and Posada Ground Zero in the rivalry...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Kim, ask Nolan Ryan how much credit the catchers had in 7 No-hitters. A humble man always gives credit to a backstop, but that isn't reality. Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points, not the players passing him the ball. Varitek doesn't have a single no-hitter. Get over it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Tek was great!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

mr. hanky, I mean softy, gives credit to Lugo for the 2007 ring, but won't give one iota to VTek.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Kim, ask Nolan Ryan how much credit the catchers had in 7 No-hitters. A humble man always gives credit to a backstop, but that isn't reality. Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points, not the players passing him the ball. Varitek doesn't have a single no-hitter. Get over it.

What is more impressive, a pitcher who throws 4 no-hitters or a catcher that catches 4 no-hitters?  I think I will choose the pitcher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek! : What is more impressive, a pitcher who throws 4 no-hitters or a catcher that catches 4 no-hitters?  I think I will choose the pitcher.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Never crossed my mind but then I don't have insomnia.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What is more impressive, a pitcher who throws 4 no-hitters or a catcher that catches 4 no-hitters?  I think I will choose the pitcher.

A better question might be: What's more impressive, a pitcher who throws 1 no-hitter or a catcher who catches 4 no-hitters?

I think I will choose the pitcher as well, but it is close.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek! : WT_????..:)..j/k Kim....got respect for Tek'...though it always starts from the mound, i've always considered Tek and Posada Ground Zero in the rivalry...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Oh, you're just annoyed because he gave ARod a mitt sandwich. My hero. A great moment in baseball, and a pic that will live on as long as the rivalry lives on. Tongue out

As for Posada, I'm looking forward to a season where I don't have to say, "Oh, no. Posada is up." lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Kim, ask Nolan Ryan how much credit the catchers had in 7 No-hitters. A humble man always gives credit to a backstop, but that isn't reality. Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points, not the players passing him the ball. Varitek doesn't have a single no-hitter. Get over it.

I don't know who Nolan Ryan's catcher was, but to say that a catcher has no influence on the pitching is just ridiculous. Maybe Nolan called his own pitches. I don't know. That just makes him a different animal. Not the case with Sox pitchers. And since there is a mental aspect involved in pitching, the confidence you would have knowing you were working with a guy who knew what he was doing, and knew the players so well, would have a major impact on that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]mr. hanky, I mean softy, gives credit to Lugo for the 2007 ring, but won't give one iota to VTek.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Blind hatred for a player would take away any positives anyone suggested. It makes no sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jason Varitek! : What is more impressive, a pitcher who throws 4 no-hitters or a catcher that catches 4 no-hitters?  I think I will choose the pitcher.

What if the pitchers were all different, but the catcher was the same?

Edit: Sorry, didn't get to Moon's post before I posted this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Varitek not only caught 4 no-hitters but 7 one-hitters.  Chad Finn had a good piece about the one-hitters a few days ago.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beachbumct. Show beachbumct's posts

Deepest appreciation for all the great years you gave us Tek. Now on to the next leg of the career...coaching step by step to ultimately become the Sox manager.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...but to say that a catcher has no influence on the pitching is just ridiculous. 

One can argue the extent of a catcher's influence, but for softy to argue that a catcher has no relevance to a pitcher's performance is shocking.  He really thinks that because a pitcher can shake off any sign until he gets the one he wants (not to mention the location), this means the pitcher totally controls every pitch and location called each game. He assumes that all pitchers have a plan worked out and spend time and energy deciding what to throw next, how to set up a hitter, and what the batter's tendencies are. 

Many pitchers difer to their catcher's knowledge and planning and just throw what and where they are asked to throw. Some pitchers have more of a say in the matter, but almost every Sox pitcher relied on VTek's vast knowledge and expertise to guide them through each outing. The numbers overwhelmingly show that VTek had a positive influence on nearly every pitcher the Sox have had since VTek's 2nd or 3rd year in the bigs. Yes, there are spike years and a few pitchers who did not do better year by year, but the yearly CERA and OPS against numbers pitcher by pitcher show an astounding differential between VTek and whoever our other catcher(s) was at the time. 

The sample sizes of each pitcher individually may be a bit small in some cases, but for nearly every one to come out in VTek's favor year after year shows a clear trend as well as any in MLB.

Last winter I challenged anyone to a bet that VTek would get better results from a majority of our pitchers. I offered 3: 1 odds. No takers. I offered 5:1 odds. No takers. If the CERA related phenomina was just a coin toss, how come no anti-CERA posters took 5:1 odds on a coin toss? 

Sure enough, pitchers had better results with VTek than Salty almost 2:1. Salty hit better than VTek, but sure enough, we won more with VTek. Even if you take Beckett out of the equation, the winning percentages and CERA numbers were still clearly in VTek's favor.

I hope Salty learned a lesson last year, or else we are in for a long season. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Guys what is worse, pummeling Tek or going on and on about how valuable he was?  Time to move on - he is gone!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Guys what is worse, pummeling Tek or going on and on about how valuable he was ?  Time to move on - he is gone!

Tell that your buddy who starts one a week.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Guys what is worse, pummeling Tek or going on and on about how valuable he was ?  Time to move on - he is gone!

That's easy.  Pummeling is much worse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I thought I did - really now it is over.  lets bring it back up at the 10 year reunion

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OK....it's over.... Na-na-na.....

.... Now!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Now that VAritek and WAsteifled's welfare contract requests have finally been rejected, the beauty is no longer having to see the volume of Varitek and Wakefield propaganda that wastes server space. This year's team can fail just as well without washed up Varitek and Wastefield, but at least the time and money won't be wasted on old men and half a billion dollars and 3 years of zero playoff wins.

Sections
Shortcuts