thanks Theo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

thanks Theo

you can love him or hate him....but give the guy credit. he said he was going to build the RS from the inside out by restocking the farm system. he did not stay to see the fruits of his labor, but he did a fantastic job.
    RS fans look back at that Pedroia, Ells, LEster, Youk, Pap, etc run of players we had for a period, I think these next 3 years could be better.
    Its very early, but the FOLLOWING 3 years, again looks very, very good as well...
    granted, not everyone will pan out, and prospects are chips to improve the big league team, either thru call up or in trades...I dont recall a time in RS history where we have had 20-25 players in the farm system that WILL play in the major leagues

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: thanks Theo

Theo's last two drafts (2011 &2010) are shaping up to look REALLY good.  Still let's give some credit to director of amateur scouting Amiel Sawdaye.  Who is still the director of amateur scouting today for what it's worth.  I haven't really seen anything to impressive out of the 2012 draft class yet, but that was also a very weak year after perhaps one of their best drafts in a long time so that can maybe kind of explain why it looks subpar.  I really think the Sox did a much better job in this years draft than last year (having the 7th pick helped).  Of course all this can't come without saying you can never truly evaluate a draft class until 4-5 years after the point.  (I would make the argument that it could be even longer) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

You could be right.  He was not as good with trades.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

You could be right.  He was not as good with trades.

Theo was not as good....or Ben C is not good with trades?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Theo have nothing to do with the farm system.  Really we should applauded Theo for hiring an excellent scouting staffs who helped Theo to picked out the best players around the world.  Ben C. was part of it too.

Anyway, you are right that Theo are so awful on buying free agents.  He wasnt too bad on making a trade.  Remember his best trade was to get Curt Schiiling and getting rid of Nomar and Manny, both were clubhouse cancer players.  Cant say about Lowell cuz Theo wasnt around that time due to contract dispute.

It is too early to say about Ben C.  So far he is doing a good job except signing Dempster. That may be his biggest mistake that he made so far!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Theo's last two drafts (2011 &2010) are shaping up to look REALLY good.  Still let's give some credit to director of amateur scouting Amiel Sawdaye.  Who is still the director of amateur scouting today for what it's worth.  I haven't really seen anything to impressive out of the 2011 draft class yet, but that was also a very weak year after perhaps one of their best drafts in a long time so that can maybe kind of explain why it looks subpar.  I really think the Sox did a much better job in this years draft than last year (having the 7th pick helped).  Of course all this can't come without saying you can never truly evaluate a draft class until 4-5 years after the point.  (I would make the argument that it could be even longer) 

you cannot refer to 2011, right? that draft produced Barnes, JBJ, Swihart, Owens, Betts, Ramirez, Shaw, Ott. Perhaps you mean 2012, but 3-4 years down the line everyone will be talking about Light, Buttrey, and Marrero will be in the major leagues, but most likely not with the RS

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I graded Theo with a C+ with his Drafts. His best Draft was the year he Drafted Ellsbury, then for a few years he did not do much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Theo's last two drafts (2011 &2010) are shaping up to look REALLY good.  Still let's give some credit to director of amateur scouting Amiel Sawdaye.  Who is still the director of amateur scouting today for what it's worth.  I haven't really seen anything to impressive out of the 2011 draft class yet, but that was also a very weak year after perhaps one of their best drafts in a long time so that can maybe kind of explain why it looks subpar.  I really think the Sox did a much better job in this years draft than last year (having the 7th pick helped).  Of course all this can't come without saying you can never truly evaluate a draft class until 4-5 years after the point.  (I would make the argument that it could be even longer) 

you cannot refer to 2011, right? that draft produced Barnes, JBJ, Swihart, Owens, Betts, Ramirez, Shaw, Ott. Perhaps you mean 2012, but 3-4 years down the line everyone will be talking about Light, Buttrey, and Marrero will be in the major leagues, but most likely not with the RS

First I said the 2010 and 2011 drafts were shaping up to look VERY good.  I meant to write the 2012 draft has (so far) been a bit dissapointing.  yes that was a typo...thank you. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Although Theo didnt draft Lester or Youk, he has had some very good draft results. Id say he accomplished what he said he was going to to with the farm system. BC was right there and somehow involved in those moves too since hes been here from 1999 to present, starting out in scouting and development and working his way to GM.

Jonathan Papelbon (FA), David Murphy (traded) 2003

Dustin Pedroia, Cla Meredith (traded) 2004 class

Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Jed Lowrie (traded), Craig Hanson (traded), Michael Bowden (traded) 2005

Daniel Bard, Ryan Kalish, and Justin Masterson (traded) 2006

Will Middlebrooks, Drake Britton, and Anthony Rizzo (traded) 2007

Ryan Lavarnway, Ryan Westmorland, Christian Vasquez, and Casey Kelly(traded) 2008

Alex Wilson, Shannon Wilkerson, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Alex Hassan, Reymond Fuentes(traded) 2009

Bryce Brentz, Anthony Ranaudo, Brandon Workman, Sean Coyle, Garin Cecchini, Chris Hernandez, Keith Couch 2010

Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart, Henry Owens, Jackie Bradley Jr., Noe Ramirez, Mookie Betts, Cody Kukuk, Travis Shaw, Matty Ott,  David Chester 2011

Thats a partial list of names of the players that Theo drafted. Obviously its not all of them. Its the ones we know well, ones that we are just now getting to know, and a few we should be learning about very soon. Also a few that we have traded away that have gone on to, or about to start their MLB career in another city.

Id say he did what he said he set out to do in regards to stocking the farm system. Thanks Theo for some pretty spectacular drafts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Although Theo didnt draft Lester or Youk, he has had some very good draft results. Id say he accomplished what he said he was going to to with the farm system. BC was right there and somehow involved in those moves too since hes been here from 1999 to present, starting out in scouting and development and working his way to GM.

Jonathaqn Papelbon (FA), David Murphy (traded) 2003

Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Jed Lowrie (traded), Craig Hanson (traded), Michael Bowden (traded) 2005

Will Middlebrooks, and Anthony Rizzo (traded) 2007

Lavarnway, Ryan Westmorland, and Vasquez, Casey Kelly(traded) 2008

Alex Wilson, Shannon Wilkerson, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Alex Hassan, Reymond Fuentes(traded) 2009

Bryce Brentz, Anthony Ranaudo, Brandon Workman, Sean Coyle, Garin Cecchini, Chris Hernandez, Keith Couch 2010

Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart, Henry Owens, Jackie Bradley Jr., Noe Ramirez, Mookie Betts, Cody Kukuk, Travis Shaw, Matty Ott,  David Chester

Thats a partial list of names of the players that Theo drafted. Obviously its not all of them. Its the ones we know well, ones that we are just now getting to know, and a few we should be learning about very soon. Also a few that we have traded away that have gone on to, or about to start their MLB career in another city.

Id say he did what he said he set out to do in regards to stocking the farm system. Thanks Theo for some pretty spectacular drafts.

Sorry disagree with you, about spectacular Drafts. With a wait a see from 2009 on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Jonathaqn Papelbon (FA), David Murphy (traded) 2003

Will Middlebrooks, and Anthony Rizzo (traded) 2007

Lavarnway, Ryan Westmorland, and Vasquez, Casey Kelly(traded) 2008

Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart, Henry Owens, Jackie Bradley Jr., Noe Ramirez, Mookie Betts, Cody Kukuk, Travis Shaw, Matty Ott,  David Chester

Sorry disagree with you, about spectacular Drafts. 

We agree to disagree. Maybe our views of spectactlular are different when judging draft classes. With such a low rate of success when it comes to prospects, I think Theo&Co. did a great job evaluating top round AND lower round talent. The success rate, IMO, was high when he was here, and the 2010, 2011 classes look like they will produce a few more valuable players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Theo have nothing to do with the farm system.  Really we should applauded Theo for hiring an excellent scouting staffs who helped Theo to picked out the best players around the world.  Ben C. was part of it too.

Anyway, you are right that Theo are so awful on buying free agents.  He wasnt too bad on making a trade.  Remember his best trade was to get Curt Schiiling and getting rid of Nomar and Manny, both were clubhouse cancer players.  Cant say about Lowell cuz Theo wasnt around that time due to contract dispute.

It is too early to say about Ben C.  So far he is doing a good job except signing Dempster. That may be his biggest mistake that he made so far!!

If IRC...  Schilling was a FA.  Did'nt Theo spend Thanksgiving with the Schillings,  and that's when he signed onto the Sox?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Of that group only JBJ has seen action in the majors, and he has been disappointing at that level. The rest of them are question marks. I am going to reserve judgement until I see them actually perform in the majors, which is the ONLY real barometer that can be used to judge them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Theo Epstein was the first person from the Red Sox to give me his autograph.  He signed my jersey but I could tell that he was a bit annoyed by my excitement to see him.   LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

If IRC...  Schilling was a FA.  Did'nt Theo spend Thanksgiving with the Schillings,  and that's when he signed onto the Sox?

It was to convince Schilling to come to Boston. I think he might have had a no-trade clause. But it was a trade. Casey Fossum was involved.

EDIT: Looked it up to find all the players. MIchael Goss, Brandon Lyon and Jorge De La Roas were the other guys with Fossum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

It was to convince Schilling to come to Boston. I think he might have had a no-trade clause. But it was a trade. Casey Fossum was involved.

They sent Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon, Jorge DeLaRosa, and OF Michael Gross

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Not is was a trade, he need to waive his no trade clause.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Of that group only JBJ has seen action in the majors, and he has been disappointing at that level. The rest of them are question marks. I am going to reserve judgement until I see them actually perform in the majors, which is the ONLY real barometer that can be used to judge them.

Not really they are resources, if you can trade them for a good player, I would consider that a success regardless of how the player turns out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Don't forget to thank Theo for one of his international free agent signings, a Mr. Iglesias.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Don't forget to thank Theo for one of his international free agent signings, a Mr. Iglesias.

There were times when I would vent because Farrell would sit Iggy.  My girlfriend would say, "Relax, honey, it's just a game."  Oh I made her regret saying that.   LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Not really they are resources, if you can trade them for a good player, I would consider that a success regardless of how the player turns out.

They represent POTENTIAL, nothing more. Right now they all sit in the minors and as such have given the organization nothing. They have not produced at the ML level and they have not brought the team anyone who has produced either. We will see how they work out. Don't get me wrong: I think that several of them WILL eventually make good with the team, but I am reserving judgement until that happens.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

For a while Theo was good at getting the most for the compensation picks.  With the change in compensation picks, don't expect to see him build the cub farm system the same way.

A lot of the credit also goes to a great Pawsox organization.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Xander Bogaerts and Felix Doubront too

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Xander Bogaerts and Felix Doubront too

Very true.

Sections
Shortcuts