thanks Theo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: thanks Theo

Up until this year's draft, we have not had many top picks, so in this light, Theo's drafts have been pretty good. Now, we often made up for lower draft picks with several comp picks when Theo allowed FAs to walk, and we often drafted players who lower teams could not afford to sign.

After the great 2005 draft... some good- some NOT SO GOOD...

2006: Bard with the 28th pick, Masterson in the second round and Kalish in the9th was pretty good. (Bates in the 3rd.)

2007: Middlebrooks in the 5th. #55 pick (our first that year) Hagadone traded.

2008: Kelly (30th) traded. #108 Weiland traded. Lava in the 6th, Vazquez in the 9th.

2009: #77 A Wilson, 4th rd. Hazelbaker.

2010: #20 Vitek, 36 Brentz, 39 Ranaudo, 57 Workman, 110 Coyle, 4th rd Cecchini.

2011: Barnes, Swihart, Owens, JBJ and more...

2012: Marrero, B Johnson, Light, Callahan, Buttrey...

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

And don't forget that Ben was there guiding Theo on every move.  One of the best moves during Theo's reign was when he was on vacation in an ape suit, Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Theo's last two drafts (2011 &2010) are shaping up to look REALLY good.  Still let's give some credit to director of amateur scouting Amiel Sawdaye.  Who is still the director of amateur scouting today for what it's worth.  I haven't really seen anything to impressive out of the 2011 draft class yet, but that was also a very weak year after perhaps one of their best drafts in a long time so that can maybe kind of explain why it looks subpar.  I really think the Sox did a much better job in this years draft than last year (having the 7th pick helped).  Of course all this can't come without saying you can never truly evaluate a draft class until 4-5 years after the point.  (I would make the argument that it could be even longer) 

you cannot refer to 2011, right? that draft produced Barnes, JBJ, Swihart, Owens, Betts, Ramirez, Shaw, Ott. Perhaps you mean 2012, but 3-4 years down the line everyone will be talking about Light, Buttrey, and Marrero will be in the major leagues, but most likely not with the RS

Of that group only JBJ has seen action in the majors, and he has been disappointing at that level. The rest of them are question marks. I am going to reserve judgement until I see them actually perform in the majors, which is the ONLY real barometer that can be used to judge them.

I'm going to wait a few years on this Trout kid to make sure he is not a flash in the pan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

You could be right.  He was not as good with trades.

He was pretty good with trades.  Arroyo hurt, but he picked up an awful lot of good small pieces.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

For a while Theo was good at getting the most for the compensation picks.  With the change in compensation picks, don't expect to see him build the cub farm system the same way.

A lot of the credit also goes to a great Pawsox organization.

I give everyone credit, but Theo's genius was figuring out the draft comp quicker and better than most.  A lot of these guys are coin flips, but the guy with the most coins will still get the most coins.

And he still did well with the Cubs by offering arb to ARam.

And his new game is cleaning the table of the int'l FAs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

What some folks seem to fail to understand is that if a GM makes so many moves during his term not all of those players acquired whether through free agency, trades or the draft only a certain percentage will work out. Hopefully more positive than negative. Ben C took his chances on a few free agents this season, a few coming off poor seasons and they've had very good productive seasons so far. Some of it is skill and some probably dumb luck, but Theo certainly did a pretyy good job while here, but not perfect and so far Ben has done a pretty reasonable job.

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Theo's last two drafts (2011 &2010) are shaping up to look REALLY good.  Still let's give some credit to director of amateur scouting Amiel Sawdaye.  Who is still the director of amateur scouting today for what it's worth.  I haven't really seen anything to impressive out of the 2011 draft class yet, but that was also a very weak year after perhaps one of their best drafts in a long time so that can maybe kind of explain why it looks subpar.  I really think the Sox did a much better job in this years draft than last year (having the 7th pick helped).  Of course all this can't come without saying you can never truly evaluate a draft class until 4-5 years after the point.  (I would make the argument that it could be even longer) 

you cannot refer to 2011, right? that draft produced Barnes, JBJ, Swihart, Owens, Betts, Ramirez, Shaw, Ott. Perhaps you mean 2012, but 3-4 years down the line everyone will be talking about Light, Buttrey, and Marrero will be in the major leagues, but most likely not with the RS

Of that group only JBJ has seen action in the majors, and he has been disappointing at that level. The rest of them are question marks. I am going to reserve judgement until I see them actually perform in the majors, which is the ONLY real barometer that can be used to judge them.

Not really they are resources, if you can trade them for a good player, I would consider that a success regardless of how the player turns out.

I just happened to notice in one of the FG articles that they rated Bogaerts as the #29 most trade value in BB.  Ahead of guys like Moore, Bautista, etc.

Sections
Shortcuts