That is why the tigers jumped at iggy

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: That is why the tigers jumped at iggy

Yeah but what about the play that gave the Sox a win earlier in the series? I believe he will make great plays no doubt but I also see him making more Es because he will try and make plays that are not there like the other day.

I also believe he will never be a good hitter. He will be Carlos Pena, BJ Upton 200 hitters at best but with out the power.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Yeah but what about the play that gave the Sox a win earlier in the series? I believe he will make great plays no doubt but I also see him making more Es because he will try and make plays that are not there like the other day.

I also believe he will never be a good hitter. He will be Carlos Pena, BJ Upton 200 hitters at best but with out the power.

I don't think he really ever needs to be a great hitter.  They have a good lineup without him.

His biggest problem in Detroit will be the team's on again / off again attitude towards defense.  They have always used terrific defenders like Brandon Inge and Adam Everett, only to eschew them a season later for guys who hit much better.  

Detroit got a very good middle infielder for now. We will see how long they use him going forward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Jim - You are crazy. He's the best fielding shortstop I have ever seen and I've been watching baseball since '66.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Jim - You are crazy. He's the best fielding shortstop I have ever seen and I've been watching baseball since '66.

You should watch more baseball ..... Ozzie Smith comes to mind .....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He is up there, but honestly, watch Andrelton Simmons in Atlanta.

Sometimes, you just think "Wow.  Just wow.  That was almost cartoon-like."

I like this one.  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/andrelton-simmons-covers-ridiculous-ground-turn-6-3-180807276.html

Watch the very beginning.  Simmons starts off moving to cover 3B on a rotation play (breaking off the screen), and still manages to get the DP while making it look very, very easy....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to rsinsider's comment:

I think Ozzie was a little too much flash sometimes.  Omar Vizquel, on the other hand, was an amazing defender.

I like Iglesias, but sometimes he shows a little too much Rey Ordonez in him.  Ordonez was fun to watch, too.  I think my favorite play of his was one where he lunged for a grounder upthe middle, went into a somersault, and came out of it throwing to nail the runner at 1B.

Ordonez was flash, and a lot of fun, but there were the flaws, too...

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

He does play great defense. But is it really worth the massive hole he creates in the lineup? I don't think it is. I would rather have an average to good defensive SS (which would describe most players) that helps you score runs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Iggy doesn't even have a complete MLB season under his belt and I have seen more "he will never hit" and he is "a utility player at best" posts than I can count. 

Some talk about him like he is 28 years old who has been passed around team to team like a hot potato and only now making it up to the show.

That's SOP on this forum. Whenever a young prospect makes the jump to the big leagues and struggles in any one particular aspect of his game. far too many never consider that they had to show competency before they got the call and thier body of work at the minor league level is merely a base line. There are many examples of players that improved once reaching the big leagues after working with major league coaches, defense in particular. Pedrioa is an example of a player that struggled out of the gate to hit big league pitching and now has an MVP award to show for his work. 

Iglesias is still young and his body of work in the minor leagues suggest that he's not a good hitter and likely will never be an impact offensive player. What is clear is the kid has a huge heart and wants to succeed and will work hard to improve. I've watched every one of his at bats in the postseason and he doesn't give away an at bat. My advice to him would be to stop trying to kill the ball, choke up and try to hit the inside of the ball "think up the middle" or the other way use his legs...

End of the day his glove will keep him in the show...his bat will keep him on the field. There's an adage that recited throughtout all levels of baseball starting in 12 U select ball. if you hit, you play. Just asked Brendan Ryan now with the Yankees who is the best defensive SS in today's game. But has been traded twice because he can't hit..Given the emphasis placed on scoring runs in the modern game it's difficult to hide a guy that hits .200. Iggy needs to figure out how to get on first base..if he does in the 250 to 270 with an ops close to .300 he'll be a perrenial Gold Glover and one day might even have a place with the pantheons of his position...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

I think you meant an OBP of .300.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

That catch by iggy is as good as it gets.  It was so good that even Ortiz gave him a clap.  I think David was always high on Iggy, contantly calling the young kid a great short stop.

Iggy is a great SS.

But can a team in todays game live with a guy who's batting a buck ten since the AS game?

Give me the player who makes all the routine plays and contributes to the offense.

Now go back into your basement apartment and discuss with softy the fireman.

BTW the main reason the tigers jumped at Iggy was because they were about to lose their SS for 50 games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Iggy doesn't even have a complete MLB season under his belt and I have seen more "he will never hit" and he is "a utility player at best" posts than I can count. 

Some talk about him like he is a 28 years old who has been passed around team to team like a hot potato and only now making it up to the show.

Others talk about him like he is already in the HOF.

odd huh...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

One of the prettiest plays I've seen in baseball...even Ortiz gave him a hand for that one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to rsinsider's comment:

Omar Vizquel comes to mind too. I saw Omar more than Ozzie, so I'd put Omar up there first, especially considering how Ozzie was helped by playing on turf, which gave truer bounces, but we're splitting hairs. They're right there together IMO.

Iggy is great, but to me, it's premature to put him in their class.

As for Iggy long term offensively, we'll see. Both Ozzie and Vizquel had questionable bats early in their career. So I can see Iggy developing into a solid offensive player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Regardless of his future, that was one heck of a catch off Ortiz.  He will likely put up many more defensive gems in his career.  As to hitting, who knows?  He is still 22/23. 

Go Sox!  Finish it off on Saturday.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series; Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Well.......the trade from Detroits standpoint was Iggy for Avisail Garcia.  I actually would take Garcia over Iggy and wonder how much Detroit will like that trade a few years down the road..... 

Speaking of Chicago.....look out for them in a few years.  They are starting to build something pretty good over there....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

They jumped at Iggy because they had plenty of hitting and had just lost their 3d best SS WAR Peralta for 50 games.  Don't forget that Leyland dumped Iggy for game 5 of the ALDS and for at least one game in the ALCS because he needed the extra bat. So the jury is still out on Iggy as a full-time SS.

I personally hated losing him because he is in fact brilliant.  A little too flashy sometimes and too willing to test the limits as when he made that throwing error in game 2 that got Gomes to 2B on a grounder Iglesias caught.  That throwing error led to the winning and unearned run.

Let's not forget the Sox liked him too because they were paying him, bad bat and all, $2M a year to play in the minors. 

royf19 is absolutely right.  Brilliant as he is, it is too early to annoint him.  I do think he will turn into a decent hitter because he has already made vast improvements from 2012. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Regardless of his future, that was one heck of a catch off Ortiz.  He will likely put up many more defensive gems in his career.  As to hitting, who knows?  He is still 22/23. 

Go Sox!  Finish it off on Saturday.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series; Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

EXACTLY!!!  Laughing

Avoid Verlander in game seven.  Hopefully, it ends on Saturday.   

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

They jumped at Iggy because they had plenty of hitting and had just lost their 3d best SS WAR Peralta for 50 games.  Don't forget that Leyland dumped Iggy for game 5 of the ALDS and for at least one game in the ALCS because he needed the extra bat. So the jury is still out on Iggy as a full-time SS.

I personally hated losing him because he is in fact brilliant.  A little too flashy sometimes and too willing to test the limits as when he made that throwing error in game 2 that got Gomes to 2B on a grounder Iglesias caught.  That throwing error led to the winning and unearned run.

Let's not forget the Sox liked him too because they were paying him, bad bat and all, $2M a year to play in the minors. 

royf19 is absolutely right.  Brilliant as he is, it is too early to annoint him.  I do think he will turn into a decent hitter because he has already made vast improvements from 2012. 

so he did not start game 5 of the alds.  He has started since then and the majority of the post season games. Do you want to read into every move.  Middy replaced Boggie last night at the end of the game.  Does this mean that JF does not have confidence in Boggie's defense?

Actually...it does.  WMB is the more experienced 3B.  WMB is an experienced MLB 3Baseman......Boggy is a 3B experiment.  It is not his natural position....so yes, JF DOES have more confidence in WMB's defense....and should.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If you look at his stats, you shall see his errors are rare.

Sections
Shortcuts