That is why the tigers jumped at iggy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: That is why the tigers jumped at iggy

iggy broke the wrong way on that play.  stepped in.  then had to make up for it.  Drew had that same exact play earlier this series and made it look much easier. 

i dont care how "quick iggy's hands are" (how many freakin' times will mccarver say this?  over/under game 6 = 29) i feel more confident in drew playing SS.  the dude simply makes plays and turns the deuce like a BOSS.

btw - jeter took 3 steps on the field before "diving" into the stands in 2004.  he could have stopped or slid.  it's called showboating.  watch the video of it.  why did i just type this?  weird.....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah but what about the play that gave the Sox a win earlier in the series? I believe he will make great plays no doubt but I also see him making more Es because he will try and make plays that are not there like the other day.

I also believe he will never be a good hitter. He will be Carlos Pena, BJ Upton 200 hitters at best but with out the power.

[/QUOTE]

Jim - You are crazy. He's the best fielding shortstop I have ever seen and I've been watching baseball since '66.

[/QUOTE]

If web gems alone constitute 'best fielding shortstop', sure.  He's up there.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Top 10 highlight for the year in sports.  Unfreakingbelievable play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah but what about the play that gave the Sox a win earlier in the series? I believe he will make great plays no doubt but I also see him making more Es because he will try and make plays that are not there like the other day.

I also believe he will never be a good hitter. He will be Carlos Pena, BJ Upton 200 hitters at best but with out the power.

[/QUOTE]

I would rather have him trying to make plays that aren't there, than being someone who doesn't get dirty or lets the other infielders do the work. Everyone misses a play once in a while.  He's a ninth batter so not having power is ok. 

[/QUOTE]

"not having power"

How about simply not hitting.

A buck ten BA since the AL break.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They jumped at Iggy because they had plenty of hitting and had just lost their 3d best SS WAR Peralta for 50 games.  Don't forget that Leyland dumped Iggy for game 5 of the ALDS and for at least one game in the ALCS because he needed the extra bat. So the jury is still out on Iggy as a full-time SS.

I personally hated losing him because he is in fact brilliant.  A little too flashy sometimes and too willing to test the limits as when he made that throwing error in game 2 that got Gomes to 2B on a grounder Iglesias caught.  That throwing error led to the winning and unearned run.

Let's not forget the Sox liked him too because they were paying him, bad bat and all, $2M a year to play in the minors. 

royf19 is absolutely right.  Brilliant as he is, it is too early to annoint him.  I do think he will turn into a decent hitter because he has already made vast improvements from 2012. 

[/QUOTE]

so he did not start game 5 of the alds.  He has started since then and the majority of the post season games. Do you want to read into every move.  Middy replaced Boggie last night at the end of the game.  Does this mean that JF does not have confidence in Boggie's defense?

[/QUOTE]

Actually...it does.  WMB is the more experienced 3B.  WMB is an experienced MLB 3Baseman......Boggy is a 3B experiment.  It is not his natural position....so yes, JF DOES have more confidence in WMB's defense....and should.

[/QUOTE]

I am a drew fan but I would probably sit him next game and have Middy and Boggie together.  They play side by side a lot this year and have some chemistry.

[/QUOTE]

"play side by side"

Who cares about that?

Where do you come up with this stuff?

It's the SS/2ND. combination that needs the chemistry. Not 3rd. and SS.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I love Iglesias' slick fielding.  I didn't want to see him go.  And, one of the really cool aspects of this really cool series is the chip on his shoulder as he tries to rub the Sox faces in what they gave up.  I love it.  I do.

But, a. while a web-gem master of proportions hitherto only reached by the hallowed names of Ozzie and Omar, he is not a great shortstop ... yet.  He couldn't carry Alex Gonzalez' jock, at the plate or in the field.  Call me when he stops making stupid throws and makes less errors and we can revisit.

'Til then, yeah, I'll take Drew in '13 and Xander Boegarts in '14 thank you.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love Iglesias' slick fielding.  I didn't want to see him go.  And, one of the really cool aspects of this really cool series is the chip on his shoulder as he tries to rub the Sox faces in what they gave up.  I love it.  I do.

But, a. while a web-gem master of proportions hitherto only reached by the hallowed names of Ozzie and Omar, he is not a great shortstop ... yet.  He couldn't carry Alex Gonzalez' jock, at the plate or in the field.  Call me when he stops making stupid throws and makes less errors and we can revisit.

[/QUOTE]

Well and umm he has only played a little more than half a major league season, and people are saying he is the best defensive SS of all time.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Oh sorry I didn't mean to laugh. I couldn't help it.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am not going to mention the Peavy trade because the Soxx were going for it this year, but Iggy is going to be special.....forget his batting average...look at his AB's and the plate discpline he has begun to develop. If that continues and as he gets stronger and thicker, I thin he will be  pretty good hitter......270/330/380/710 type guy.....and if he does that he is an ALL Star every year becuase of his special defense

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz has already called Iggy a great short stop.  If you missed the respect that Ortiz gave Iggy on his way out, I hope you caught the smile he gave iggy after the great catch robbed him of a hit.

[/QUOTE]

I would expect Ortiz to make a positive overture, given the cold nature of the deal and his role as all-time Red Sox ambassador.  And, like I said, I am awed by the kid's glove and potential to be a great shortstop.  But I am not sure why Papi liking the kid should sway me to accept that he is Ozzie Smith.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz has already called Iggy a great short stop.  If you missed the respect that Ortiz gave Iggy on his way out, I hope you caught the smile he gave iggy after the great catch robbed him of a hit.

[/QUOTE]

Oh and I thought Ortiz would have said he was horrible. Who knew?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well and umm he has only played a little more than half a major league season, and people are saying he is the best defensive SS of all time.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Oh sorry I didn't mean to laugh. I couldn't help it.

[/QUOTE]

who says that?  All I see is people saying he is very good or great.  I doubt anyone thinks he is the best defensive ss of all time.  But copy and paste where someone said that please.  He has more time in the majors than Boggie who I have seen you get all excited over.

[/QUOTE]

Read the thread.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would expect Ortiz to make a positive overture, given the cold nature of the deal and his role as all-time Red Sox ambassador.  And, like I said, I am awed by the kid's glove and potential to be a great shortstop.  But I am not sure why Papi liking the kid should sway me to accept that he is Ozzie Smith.

[/QUOTE]

I don't expect you change your opinion because of what Ortiz says.  You have eyes and obviously a love for the game.  I respect your opinion and read most of your posts.  This is going to be a discussion for a long time.  One thing you have to admit is, when the discussion of sox players who got away comes up, this kid is always going to be there.  He will never be up there with lynn or fisk but always talked about.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt 404.  I look forward to the continuing debate over Iglesias, in the Ones That Got Away sense.  And, FWIW, though these debates become so binary as we choose camps and entrench ourselves, I am not of the mindset that Iglesias was nothing and losing his glove is no sacrifice.  I really loved, nay, still love watching this kid. 

Sections
Shortcuts