That one was on Scutaro and Crawford

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

Re: That one was on Scutaro and Crawford

In Response to Re: That one was on Scutaro and Crawford:
    Scutaro missed the squeeze sign, why they didn't have the coaches call time and make sure everyone was on the same page is juvenile. As far as CC goes, he will be the biggest bust of Theo's long line of busts. Fact 1. He has a weak arm, that is not rocket science. Fact 2. He has relied on his speed to be considered an elite player, you can't steal first. Fact 3 he can't hit lefthanded breaking balls. Fact 4. because of his untradeable huge contract , we will watch this guy do what he did today for the next 6 years, and the pipeline is now totally clogged , with no chance for an outstanding prospect being developed for left field for the next 6 years. For me that is the worst one. This bozo has an outfield position tied up for 6 more years. They could have tried to make Lavarnway a Left Fielder , the easiest of the three outfield positions, course he hits right Handed, they don't need a right handed hitter in the outfield, according to Theo. I don't know why they even have a farm system, when they sign free agents like Crawford , for huge dollars and totally de motivate the up and coming players in the system.  Todays loss was but a blip on the radar, but Crawford is no blip, he s..cks, he will be make the JD Drew signing look like Drew was babe Ruth, by the time it's over.
    Posted by aussiewill

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Should be able to trade Carl to the Mariners, eating some of the contract.
    Posted by betterbase

the mariners would be a good fit for CRAWFISH; according to the poem RHYME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER, that's where albatrosses should hang out.

btw, too bad there isn't LEMON LAWS in baseball; john henry could recover most of his lost money on THEO'S pathetic signings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

i agree with Aussiewill....the Crawford signing will turn out to
    be one of the worst signings in Boston history. Crawford has a
    flawed swing and a flawed stance. He cannot seem to hit
    any pitch with a wrinkle in it. Those three swings he took
    in the 9th were the worst I have ever seen in all the years I
    have watched baseball. Pitchers swing like that. What it
    shows me is that he has a limited idea of what the strike zone
    is. The other guys in the lineup build up pitch counts, like
    Pedey and Youk, and even Papi. Crawford just has no plate
    discipline. He will swing at balls in China. He was so hyped up
    and excited last nite, he could not exhibit any discipline at all
    The pitcher could have thrown a ball at the backstop, and
    CC would have swung. And....this was a pitcher on a second
    division club with only limited major league experience, and
    he made CC look like an amateur. If Kc has CC figured out,
    the other teams scouts will not be far behind in mapping out
    a plan of attack on crawford.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It never ssould have gotten to extras.
    I believe the key play in this game was in the 5th. After Salty singled, he was going on the ground single to right by Scutaro and stopped at 2B. this was clearly on Bogar as Salty had rounde second long before the ball got to Francouer, and picked up Bogar who held him at second. He could have easily made it to third, even with Francouer's arm.
    Ellsbury then proceeds to hit one to the track, easy SF.

I might also add that when the Royals scored in the 6th, if Crawford doesn't overthrow Scutaro, Cabrera is out by 20 ft at the plate.

Just bad baseball all around by the Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Last night was a classic example of why I've been saying all season that they need to add another bat come the trading deadline.

Crawford, for whatever reason, is not the player he was in Tampa Bay--at least not this season.

Scutaro is an average, at best, major league hitter.

The catcher position is mediocre offensively.

Reddick has played well, but he's still largely unproven and he's basically a rookie (and he, like most of the other players in the lineup, is left-handed).

That's as many as 4 holes in a lineup with 9 men in it on any given night.

Yes, I realize they score a ton of runs against teams with bad pitching, but in the post-season they won't be facing any bad pitchers.

Last night they couldn't touch the pitching staff of a team with the second-worst ERA in the American League.

Simply put, they need to get Beltran, or some other RH hitter to play RF full time. That would balance the lineup and, more importantly, lengthen it out a bit so that getting back to Ellsbury at the top of the order isn't such a long, arduous wait.

I'm not worried about the starting pitching, really. Lester is back, Beckett is fine, and Lackey is a proven post-season pitcher. If Buchholz comes back OK, the starting pitching is more than set-up for October.

The offense? I'm not so sure.

I'd go after Beltran and wouldn't worry about what they had to give up--the Mets can't realistically ask for too much for a 34-year old heading to free agency.

About Crawford: very good ballplayer, but the signing, from a Sox perspective, didn't make any sense. Too many years and too much money for a guy who basically duplicates the skill set of Ellsbury, and whose defensive prowess is wasted 81 times a year playing in Fenway's left field.

I know last night was just one game, but it's losses like that one that can set a team off on a really bad streak lasting 7-10 days (remember when they lost that marathon game to the Angels--a Tim Bogar Special--back in the spring; they were out of sorts for several days after that one).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Hey Crawford....at the very least make freakin contact!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe-----------. Show The--Babe-----------'s posts

Guys, it is one game .  Crawford has hit well since right before the break, why the hatred?  It is disappointing to lose, but it happens.   The good news is that Lester is back.   That alone is worthy of celebration. 

Posted by soxmeister

Well....you claim that it's only 1 game...and then say he's hit well since before the break....which is essentially just one month. Bottom line is he's at .250 for the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Come on, how many times we see Jeters getting his game winning hit and RBI in his career?  I bet Posada who is far worse hitter than Jeter may have more winning hit and RBI!!  I wouldnt be suprise about it!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

What do the Yankees have to do with Crawford's lousy showing? We can blame alot on them but not Crawford's failures. Hopefully he starts to play like a 20 million dollar player or the next 6 years with him are not going to be pretty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Should be able to trade Carl to the Mariners, eating some of the contract.
    Posted by betterbase

I doubt if Seattle would take him even if the Sox would eat all of his contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If you're going to hang the loss on Crawford you have to be fair and blame quite a few others.  And if it is a matter of not getting your money's worth, how about Gonzalez striking out three times on the same outside and low breaking ball?   Point is, last night was a tough one.  It is just one game, and hopefully does not hold over and cause a slide.  Plenty of players contributed to the lousy outcome.  But Crawford still has as many walk-off hits this season as anyone.  If I saw it correctly last night, Ortiz has 11 lifetime, and Crawford has 3 this season!  Just a crappy, crappy night (time for Don McLean to redo the song).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe-----------. Show The--Babe-----------'s posts

In Response to Re: That one was on Scutaro and Crawford : What do the Yankees have to do with Crawford's lousy showing? We can blame alot on them but not Crawford's failures. Hopefully he starts to play like a 20 million dollar player or the next 6 years with him are not going to be pretty.

Posted by jrh1194

Why should anyone expect him to play like a $20M+ player when he has never been one in his career?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Salty should have gotten to third in the 5th inning on the hit and run.  He would have made it easily.  Don't know if Bogar (the worst third base coach in MLB) held him up or what but it cost them a run.  He would have scored on Ellsbury's fly to right.

When is the last time that Scutaro did anything in the clutch?  The next time will be the first time.

Navarro is not ready for the prime time.

Randy Williams needs to be jettisoned A.S.A.P.  I knew the Sox were going to lose with him in there.

Crawford was too impatitent last night with r.i.s.p. especially in the 9th but that check swing was a HORRIBLE CALL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: That one was on Scutaro and Crawford : Agreed, crawful looked pretty bad out there....some poor play in left as well.
    Posted by -The---Babe----------

Watching two games at once again? You remote control really had a workout until 2 a,m. and up again so early to do your troll thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This is a really dumb thread.  The Sox can't win every game.  Crawford wasn't so hot, especially that at bat with men on base and he swung at the firs two pitches out of the strike zone and eventually struck out.  But everyone has bad games.  Scutaro missed the sign--and, no, you don't have a big meeting to make sure everyone knows what to do because that tips off the defense.  But AGon didn't look too sharp either.  And Ellsbury still continues not to attempt to steal a base, something that has been going on for awhile. 

I hated losing but found it to be just as interesting as that 16 inning win at Tropicana. 

Also, give some credit to the KC pitching staff who did a pretty good job. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Certain posters always have a need to vent and scapegoat. True that Scutaro and Crawford had bad games and the Globe columnists wrote about that this morning. Thus you are preaching to the choir. RSN watched the game also and have strong feelings of disappointment. You have the choice to come back as fans of this team and coaching or else leave and root for another team.If  acting like Babe makes you feel better then please proceed, vent, vent, vent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In the top of the second inning with 2 outs and Hosmer on 2nd,Pena hit a ball that Scutaro dove for and kept in the infield.Pena got the hit with Hosmer stopping at 3rd.The next batter,Escobar grounded out for the 3rd out.If that ball hit by Pena gets by Scutaro and into the outfield,rather than having to hold at 3rd,Hosmer scores from 2nd and would make it a 2-1 game.
       I really don't see why people have to blame a loss on a certain player.IMO,they win as a team and they lose as a team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

The Crawford at bat in the bottom of the 9th was probably the worst at bat I have ever witnessed in my 69 years of watching baseball, including Little League.  First let's set the stage.  Sox have runners on 1st and 3rd, one (1) out.  Crawford at the plate.  More often than not, in a situation like this the Royals are going to pitch around Crawford to set a play at any base, but more importantly for the Royals, to get a double play.  In the old days, Crawford would have been intentionally walked, but nowadays big league pitchers are good to the point that they will attempt to "pitch around" a hitter in the hopes that the hitter (Crawford) would be stupid enough to try and hit a pitch out of the strike zone. So what does Crawford do?  Yep, he was stupid enough to swing at five (5) pitches out of the strike zone.  The 1st was in the dirt.  Followed by another one almost in the dirt, one a foot outside, one a foot inside, and the last one, a pitch up in his eyes for strike 3.  WOW!  Somehow Crawford actually was able to foul off 2 of those pitches.  Had Crawford been aware of the situation, and a lot more patient at the plate, Crawford would have walked.  Bases would have been loaded with but one out when Reddick hit a LONG fly ball that would have easily scored the winning run from 3rd.  That one might have been on Scutaro later in the game, but this one on Crawford really shows what an undisciplined, inpatient hitter Crawford is as many have come to learn since Crawford has been with the Sox.  Knowing this, why didn't Francona and/or his Coaches pull Crawford aside to remind him of the situation?  Lots of blame to go around on this one to lots of Sox's.  Oh well, that's baseball for you.  GO SOX!
    Posted by lucbom

You beat me to the post.  One of the worse at bats I've seen all year.  Trying WAYYYYY to hard.  Crawford was so impatient.   The game should have been won by the Sox in the bottom of the 9th.  At least J.D. Drew would have worked a walk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe-----------. Show The--Babe-----------'s posts

In Response to Re: That one was on Scutaro and Crawford : Watching two games at once again? You remote control really had a workout until 2 a,m. and up again so early to do your troll thing.

Posted by Your-Echo

Yup. I know that it's strange for you since you don't spend much time in public but I went to a nice bar / restaurant called 101 Ocean where they have the MLB package and multiple tv's. They had the Yanks game and the red flops game on side by side and that's where I ate dinner. Then the Yankee game ended so I went home and caught the rest of the royals win. I know you probably don't go out to a bar to watch the games because someone would get tired of you complaining about them and knock you out.

But you say I was here early to do my troll thing but yet you were here before me to do your troll thing. Look in the mirror much?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: That one was on Scutaro and Crawford : Why should anyone expect him to play like a $20M+ player when he has never been one in his career?
    Posted by The--Babe-----------

wisest post you've ever written!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: That one was on Scutaro and Crawford : Watching two games at once again? You remote control really had a workout until 2 a,m. and up again so early to do your troll thing.
    Posted by Your-Echo

"troll thing, you make my heart sing, but i want to know for sure."

pike, your services as a troll hunter on this board have been terminated;
    you are now assigned to latrine duty. please report immediately.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Few thoughts based on what has been posted so far.

Yes the RS do not have an above league average shortstop. Shock! The RS don't have stars at every position and a star playing behind the star.

Where Crawford is in the line-up relative to Crawford? For those who bothered to watch Reddick was in front of Crawford for a few games. Josh had a slow series v. the Mariners and Crawford a good one. I forget which game it was (Sat or Sunday) the Rs switched the two.

Everybody wants the RS to play small ball, but when you do what happened can happen, just like it did to the Angels on a very big stage in 2008.

Last but not least, seems fans always have a problem giving any credit to the opponent. I don't know if any one else noticed this but the Royals pitched their tails off last night. And it amazed me that every guy coming out of the BP seemed to have an OBA around .200.

Those who only whine, be happy. The way this team plays 60%-70% of the time they won't give a reason, today you have a few all wrapped in one loss.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Troll hunting isn't as despicable as you make it out to be. Babe and his army are here to keep Red Sox fans realistic and honest. I am here to identify those who are pretenders (trolls), insincere, pot-stirrers, phony, closet Yankees, and concern trolls. Babe has his job to do and so do I. It is a balance of power that makes the whole a better place. He weeds out the unrealistic RS fans and I identify those who are pretenders.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Crawford at bat in the bottom of the 9th was probably the worst at bat I have ever witnessed in my 69 years of watching baseball, including Little League.  First let's set the stage.  Sox have runners on 1st and 3rd, one (1) out.  Crawford at the plate.  More often than not, in a situation like this the Royals are going to pitch around Crawford to set a play at any base, but more importantly for the Royals, to get a double play.  In the old days, Crawford would have been intentionally walked, but nowadays big league pitchers are good to the point that they will attempt to "pitch around" a hitter in the hopes that the hitter (Crawford) would be stupid enough to try and hit a pitch out of the strike zone. So what does Crawford do?  Yep, he was stupid enough to swing at five (5) pitches out of the strike zone.  The 1st was in the dirt.  Followed by another one almost in the dirt, one a foot outside, one a foot inside, and the last one, a pitch up in his eyes for strike 3.  WOW!  Somehow Crawford actually was able to foul off 2 of those pitches.  Had Crawford been aware of the situation, and a lot more patient at the plate, Crawford would have walked.  Bases would have been loaded with but one out when Reddick hit a LONG fly ball that would have easily scored the winning run from 3rd.  That one might have been on Scutaro later in the game, but this one on Crawford really shows what an undisciplined, inpatient hitter Crawford is as many have come to learn since Crawford has been with the Sox.  Knowing this, why didn't Francona and/or his Coaches pull Crawford aside to remind him of the situation?  Lots of blame to go around on this one to lots of Sox's.  Oh well, that's baseball for you.  GO SOX!
    Posted by lucbom

how hysterical. I was thinking not only the worst at bat in MLB history (short of Beatle Bailey taking 3 straight strikes from Rich Gossage...that was just sad to think about, even now), but how truly terrible his approach was. Here's a guy who has 3 walk-off hits, but he took a swing on a bouncing curve in the dirt on pitch 1, then swings at a pitch so far outside Bob Uecker was calling it "just a little bit..." and then even check-swinging on the pitch over his head in which he never broke his wrists was justice for him to be punched out. I agree, one of the worst at bats ever seen in any game on any level. Three absolute horrific balls, and out on three pitches. He draws a walk, is patient with a hot Reddick on deck, and yes, sac fly and we're talking win streak continues. Oh well. Carl with the golden sombrero, 4 strikeouts. Nice signing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Blame.  Blame.  Blame.  C'mon little campers.  buck up.  You win some, you lose some.  In the case of the Summer 2011 Red Sox:  you win most, and lose a couple/few.  It is really weird to feel the need to witch hunt Scutaro or Crawford.  Yeah, a few bad plays.  Gonna happen. 

On the flip, and much more important to me in the grand scheme of things than a single frustrating loss, is Jon Lester coming off the DL and not skipping a beat.  Didn't have his sharpest stuff, but definitely put my mind at ease going forward.

I guess i should chalk up the crankiness to some of you kids not getting enough beddy-bye time.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agarbari. Show agarbari's posts

Its a tough loss when they had opportunities to win the game. Basically they did not hit when they had to and ran out of pitching at the end there. They made blundres and it hurt them. Shake it off and go out there tonight. This KC Team gives the Red Sox fits and they have got to get over it and win tonight.

Sections
Shortcuts