That Trade for Peavy looks real good!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

That Trade for Peavy looks real good!

He wasnt amazing v the Rays and has already pulled a choke job and Igleseis even made contact off him! This could come back to bite...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from khuberpt. Show khuberpt's posts

Re: That Trade for Peavy looks real good!

and iglesias made contact? what the hell does that mean?  iggy is a professional player and did have   a good year.  the sox needed a 5th pitcher, have an abundance of help at the ss position in the minors and peavy could help them.

He wasnt amazing v the Rays and has already pulled a choke job and Igleseis even made contact off him! This could come back to bite...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Blow it out your softy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Blow it out your softy

i'm just saying. i liked Felix as a postseason starter

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I agree.  This is a true test and it is ironic that Iggy was involved in the runs produced.

thank you someone agrees

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Pedroia is more at fault than Peavy. if the Sox lose this Series, Pedroia is probably taking the brunt of these.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

How exactly is it going to come back to bite the Sox?  They do have another young shortstop that they are MUCH higher on...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I realize that apparently you haven't been following the threads in regards to Iggy so I'll fill you in on the "rules" of discussing this trade.

This was a GREAT trade.  They gave up a UIF who'll never be anything more than a UIF and appeals only to those who rate SS according to web-gems.  He was unneeded because they have the SS of the future who thus far has only played in a handful of ML games but since the FO is high on him he can't possibly miss. 

In return they got an outstanding pitcher with a great resume who's qualified to be our #4 pitcher and was acquired to pitch in big playoff games.

Should you have the courage to speak out against this trade you 'll be met with serious derision by the regular posters here so you'll do so at your own risk.  Good luck! 

I learned my lesson about this in less than two weeks. I hope you're a quicker study than I was.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

To be fair S%, you earned any derision you received with your crazy conspiracy theories and refusal to read anything else anyone wrote, because it was much more complicated than simply assigning an opinion to them.  

If you have not figured it out yet, maybe part of the reason the Sox wanted to go all in on this year when they saw they had a chance is that the core of this team is not controlled for much longer.  Ellsbury is gone after this year.  Ortiz probably after the next.  Think keeping Iglesias at short, Middlebrooks at 1B, Bogaerts at 3B and Bradley in CF has a chance to win anything any time in the immediate future?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Has nothing to do with Iggy.  The trade was a good one.  Almost anyone would have done it.

Peavy has been declining start after start since his CG game against the LAD.  Cherington's not to blame if Peavy has lost his luster.  Pedey didn't help the cause, but since joining the Sox, Peavy has been "Flip A Coin Jake" 

So much for Farrell's "gamer."  It's up to Lester, Clay and Lackey to pull this series out.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

joepatsfan - congrats on winning the prisoner of the moment award!!!! 

Well done. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Peavy's last 5 starts of the regular season:

32 IP, 29 hits, 15 BBs, 17 ERs  4.78 ERA 

I don't think anyone's rushing to judgment in sensing this guy might have hit a rut at the worst possible time.  It's the BBs that are killing him CONSISTENTLY.  He can't locate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The whole rationale for the trade was that we needed a Peavy to pitch in a game like tonight. Ben has done a lot of good things. This was not one of them. The trade was dumb. If Ben saw Iglesias as a career utility guy, that is even dumber. I see the trade as being done under the pressure of " needing to do something" at the deadline. It was a mistake , and no amount of spin is going to change that. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

He pitched 5 2/3 innings with 5 hits, no walks and 1 run vs the Rays....thats an Under 1 WHIP and an Under 1.75 ERA.....what would you expect to be considered amazing?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to notin's comment:

To be fair S%, you earned any derision you received with your crazy conspiracy theories and refusal to read anything else anyone wrote, because it was much more complicated than simply assigning an opinion to them.  

If you have not figured it out yet, maybe part of the reason the Sox wanted to go all in on this year when they saw they had a chance is that the core of this team is not controlled for much longer.  Ellsbury is gone after this year.  Ortiz probably after the next.  Think keeping Iglesias at short, Middlebrooks at 1B, Bogaerts at 3B and Bradley in CF has a chance to win anything any time in the immediate future?

If you'd like to have a legitimate conversation about it and respect what I say as NOT being "off the wall" and might actually have some merit, I can do that. 

Here's what I think:

I think keeping Iggy for a SS anchored the infield both talent-wise AND financially.  It wasn't that many months ago that we were talking about the merits of keeping a stellar defensive SS who would hit ~.240 and it wasn't that bad an idea.

I think Bogarts may be as well suited to play 3B as he is to play SS but since Iggy is a superior SS keeping Iggy at SS was the smarter thing to do.

I think Middlebrooks can play 1B because I also believe that if a player can play 3B well he can also play the other corner IF position, probably better since 1B is lower on the defensive spectrum than is 3B.

Keeping that IF allows the Red Sox a much better chance to sign Ellsbury because there will be money available due to the "cheap" IF.  Signing Ells should be the first priority not because of his defensive skills but because he makes the offense go.  It's not necessary for me to document what he does as a leadoff hitter so I won't.

Since the trade the Sox are left with either signing a FA SS (Drew?) for more money than Iggy would have gotten or turning that position over to someone totally untested.  However, the Sox would have kept Bogart's offense by having him at 3B.

My first priority in the off season would have been to sign Ellsbury and Salty using some of the money not being given to the FA SS.  This would have givien the team an "up the middle" of Salty, Iggy, Pedroia, and Ellsbury.  Should they have failed to sign Ellsbury the middle would still be better off with JBJ in CF and Iggy at SS than it would with JBJ in CF and Bogarts at SS.

Offensively the team would have lost Napoli's power. Whatever Drew brings to the table would have been offset by Bogarts and in fact IMO Bogarts would be an offensive upgrade over Drew.  That upgrade over Drew combined with whatever Iggy brings both offensively and defensively would bring the team to being nearly (?) as good as they were this year.  Whether they would be better or worse with this in 2014 would be dependent on what everyone actually DOES, and that's the way it is every year.  But it would have been an awfully good framework to start with.

To answer your question of whether I think this IF (with JBJ in CF) would win anything in the near future, I think the question mark there would have been whether JBJ learns to hit.  Which is why I would have gone after Ellsbury.  I don't see a significant decline in 2014 from 2013 WITH Ellsbury but I DO see a decline if JBJ is there. 

We then would have the luxury of having two IF'ers in the minors to use (if they're good enough) in case this plan didn't pan out, and if the plan DID plan out those two are good trade bait. 

I will admit that my "conspiracy theory" was a bit 'out there' but at the time I was trying to rationalize what happened and it was the best I could come up with.  

If you'd like to respond to this respectfully, please do.  If you can't respond respectfully, please don't respond. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Peavy's last 5 starts of the regular season:

32 IP, 29 hits, 15 BBs, 17 ERs  4.78 ERA 

I don't think anyone's rushing to judgment in sensing this guy might have hit a rut at the worst possible time.  It's the BBs that are killing him CONSISTENTLY.  He can't locate.

He is our #4 SP. Not great. I hoped for more tonite. He is better than Doubront or Dempster. It is what it is....need to win tomorrow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Bad night, move on. Short series cant think about Losses or Wins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Farell admitted weeks ago on WEEI that the Peavy trade only came about due to the uncertainty of Bucholz.

Key point of the thread goes to Burrito.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Pedroia is more at fault than Peavy. if the Sox lose this Series, Pedroia is probably taking the brunt of these.

Yip. His defense cost us 5 runs last night. If not for him, Peavy gets out of that inning with only one run.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Can't blame it all on Pedroia.  3 walks that inning by Peavy were lethal.  You walk a bunch of guys and you're creating the scenario for very bad things to happen. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Now its a best 2 out of 3. But did anybody really think the Red Sox would've gotten this far at the beginning of the year? If anybody remembers Jim Leyland played to win the all star game so his Tigers could have home field advantage for the WS. The Red Sox exceeded my expectations this year, as much as I want them to go to the WS it's going to take a monumental effort against a pitcher that had no hit them through 6 innings game 1. The Tigers are the real deal. This is the toughest pitching being faced and if it turns out to be the Cardinals then you got Wainright and Wacha or the Dodgers with Kershaw. It was the best deal possibly made. I can't imagine Doubront or Dempster starting

Sections
Shortcuts