That Ugly Beast Has Taken Root... Sadly, It Has Grown.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: That Ugly Beast Has Taken Root... Sadly, It Has Grown.

Manny wasn't satisfied with the $20 mil. price tag on his option years. He wanted the contact with options torn up and a new contract negotiated that would pay him more than $20 mil. per year.

3.) Most GMs and Henry are becoming very wary of signing long term contracts since they are too expensive / overvalued and risky. It is often a poor business strategy but they give in to the thirst of their fans who insist that they compete with the Yankees. For proof, I am sure that you have seen this forum in November and December. The gun is also put to the FO heads from the marketplace and the players and their agents. Crawford would be on the LAA if Theo had offered him one less year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Yaz, let me just say that your avatar is flat out UGLY and DISGUSTING but you just had a first class post!

Just calling them as I see them! Bring back that great Yaz image you had earlier will you!

This was a strange year. I found myself even getting bored with the team this year when they were winning all those games. I stopped watching a lot of games. It just wasn't interesting any more. We were walking over everyone. Maybe the team started feeling the same way. It seemed like they were walking to the playoffs. 

I think most of us loved the performances Theo and Tito gave us but even the very best managers and GMs need a change of scenery eventually. Sometimes divorces happen even with 2 good people. Imagine what it is like with 25 people!

I bet we come back really strong next year. I just wish that TB didn't look like a juggernaut going forward. We have some real challenges ahead of us. It will be SO INTERESTING to see what they do this winter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

When Grady Liuttle benched Manny a couple of games in 2003 he lost him mentally for 3 weeks - some great assett.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

With the Sox salaries it is not a case we get what we pay for. Maybe if I were not dropping a bundle at Fenway I wouldn't get so worked up. I don't spend hard earn money to go see a bad movie or anything else that is rated poor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: That Ugly Beast Has Taken Root... Sadly, It Has Grown.:
    [QUOTE]   As a Sox fan who has "suffered" through Buddin at SS, DR strangeglove at first, etc., I've never taken any thing for granted. Before 04 the Sox shining moments still ended in defeat in 67 and 75. This year my expectations were high, as they should have been, given the talent on opening day roster, to not even make play-offs was a big dis-appointment at this address. Come '12 spring training I'll be right back, all in, so to speak, because it is in my DNA to love the Sox unconditionally. Having said that I still reserve the right to nit pick each and every move the organization makes. The fans you speak of, are the youngsters of Red Sox nation, this past year will be a wake-up call for them, and now will be able to identify with us old-timers angst.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Attic-Dan 

Huge disappointment - heart wrenching - but I couldn't agree more about being back in all the way.

I don't really mind nit-picking, especially when I'm in my baboon mode, but I do mind the vitriol of some.  My wife's momma would have shot us with one of F-in-law's many guns if I spoke in such "loving" terms to her or her child ...  :o)
    {That may be considered a southern thing, but I understand it.  Disrepsect isn't often warranted.  John Lackey may have finally pushed that envelope almost too far.  Manny finally did.  Took a lot, but I had to cut the boy loose in the end.  I don't have the same affinity for Lackey ... so his time might already be up...}

"There's always next year" is no longer a sign of eternal impatience and loss ... it is a silver lined cloud now.

::  ::  ::  ::

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I have one complaint. I never said to replace Tito, or Theo. I criticize both, but never wanted them gone. I have a complaint with the Sox PR spin machine and its coming from top executives, and that falls on team Ownership. You all want to thank John Henry for what he has done, sure, fine. He has 2 WS titles and that's 2 more than any other owner in Sox history. But that last one was 2007, and since then it's been a bothchery of moves, of incredibly ill-advised signings that were ill-advised BEFORE they became Sox, overpaying 2 guys by leaps and bounds, who then fufilled their potential nightmares (Lackey, CC). Beckett is a guy who let's face it, he's easy to not like. Same with Lackey. For all the stuff about Manny, I never once felt like I disliked him. Today's Sox are selfish guys with selfish agendas (Manny only showed that real side at the very end, he produced and produced and produced much to the dismay of Manny haters). CC? Nice guy, I liked him with Rays, and I thought he should stay a Ray or become an Angel where he fits like a glove (not OJ's). But when it is all said and done, this circus act following the 2011 collapse was created in a large part by leaks from top executives in the Sox organization. If this is how your bosses feel about you  to publicly humiliate players, managers and GMs (who for yazfan, won for this team in the past), then that doesn't speak well for this organization. It's a joke and needs repairing, and that's why I advocate new owners.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Appreciate your clarity, Danny.

I didn't see the need for the Theo and Terry to go ... but as you say, the sickening thing is the way they were treated at the end.

I suppose someone had to pay.

The considerable signings, both good, bad and yet to be seen as one or the other, are a luxury we have been afforded because those self same owners you mentioned made it possible.  I am grateful to them as well as T&T ... and the players, of course.

Without hesitation I will support whoever gets to grabs the brass ring this time around.  But, in supporting them, I won't be just rubber stamping the future.  Nor did I do that with T&T ... but I did stand by them in the face of some fairly furious firestorms.

As an homage, I have decided, as you can see, to try to give Terry - and thus Theo - a long running fare well.  For all the short comings, there were still 730 days of nothing like we had had before.  Now that Dad is gone, I can say that without hesitation.  (Simply because he WAS alive .... barely two ... when the Sox won in 1918!)  It was a pure delight to share in those great victories, but most of the games we saw in Fenway were during the years the Sox didn't even break .500, or if they did, the front runner was 15 - 19 games in front.  19 my first year.  ('62)  Dad was an exceptional man of heart, service and letters ... one I could only hope to be a shade of.  But as dementia started to settle in and rob many areas of that bright life, he still brightened over the Sox ... and Pedey especially.  He just loved the little engine that did!

::  ::  ::

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]oh, and for some of those "fans" who think I should follow the Orioles, no, see I have always been a Sox fan. Never was transplanted or had other allegiances. I grew up one, I am one, and I was following this team well before forums like this were around. I just happen to care, and if that makes me a bad fan, then you all go take a John Henry yacht ride in a pennant race.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

:o)

Not one of those who suggest that ... though I did highly respect Earl Weaver and the O's of the late '60s and early 70's ... top notch organization from MLB on down ... envied, maybe, but that never effected the Soxaddiction ...

If you don't mind, I'll just take the yacht ...

Entitlement, Danny, see NYucks, and you will notice that shadow has overlapped some of us ...

Not that we like losing, but we aren't (see 1st post) when it happens.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Yaz, let me just say that your avatar is flat out UGLY and DISGUSTING but you just had a first class post! Just calling them as I see them! Bring back that great Yaz image you had earlier will you!This was a strange year. I found myself even getting bored with the team this year when they were winning all those games. I stopped watching a lot of games. It just wasn't interesting any more. We were walking over everyone. Maybe the team started feeling the same way. It seemed like they were walking to the playoffs.  I think most of us loved the performances Theo and Tito gave us but even the very best managers and GMs need a change of scenery eventually. Sometimes divorces happen even with 2 good people. Imagine what it is like with 25 people! I bet we come back really strong next year. I just wish that TB didn't look like a juggernaut going forward. We have some real challenges ahead of us. It will be SO INTERESTING to see what they do this winter.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Boom,

I have to admit I don't recall the earlier image ... I tried to get a Foghorn Leghorn image to put in, but it never would click.  I've had the son of Gollum picture up for so long, I guess I can't remember ....  :o)  Don't mind you calling 'em as you see 'em.  Danke shoen for the compliment, tho.

I really had to smile when you said things got boring ... I love a good thrashing (of the other team).  You may well have a point, that the guys started to think of themselves as supermen and forgot that pitching can be (green) kryptonite.

It will be interesting ... I found myself impressed with Nick Cafardo's treatment of the Lackey issue ... and just as confused with what to do with him afterward, since we have no choice in the matter.

::  ::  ::  ::  ::

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]With the Sox salaries it is not a case we get what we pay for. Maybe if I were not dropping a bundle at Fenway I wouldn't get so worked up. I don't spend hard earn money to go see a bad movie or anything else that is rated poor.
    Posted by dollkuhn[/QUOTE]

Good sir,

Your pain is evident and I am empathetic toward it.  I have said before that it has been years since I was at Fenway.  Indeed, the last time I saw the Sox live, it was at City of Palms Park ... when it was new!  I lived in Cape Coral at the time.  (I still live almost 8 hours from the Fens, by car, but since I am limited to a bicycle ... I fear that length of time is even more dramatic.)

I mean to say, if I spent all the money you seem to be spending, the sharpness of losing might be more profound. 

But I have always had this thing about being for the team I am for.  Raucously, riotously, and without reservation.  I know disappointment ... but that doesn't dampen my unending and quite vocal support.  I only boo the enemy.  I only knock the otherside, at least while the game is on, even if I suffer inwardly due to some disappointment.

My sons had wished I might cheer a little quieter ... but to a man (or boy, and cheerleader, for that fact) all were glad when I showed up, especially when playing in the enemy's camp.  (I have a voice that is trained to speak to thousands, without artificial amplification ... so when I let it loose, not speaking but yelling .... things get LOUD!)

I am critical and negative enough about other things.  My political stance irritates many.  Folks always seem to think I'm the other party's mouthpiece - the one opposite to which they support.  I tend to be quite sardonic.  I am iconoclastic in my religious dealings - of which I spent 30 years thoroughly involved in.  But even that is more for the support of something than just the knocking down of another.  (Apologetics, in the proper sense, comes in to play quite often.)

But I am ALWAYS FOR my team and those on it.  

Well, almost always.  I had some trouble supporting the arrival of Jack Clark.  I loved Manny but finally gave in to the reality that he was so overly selfish - but that hurt the team, so ....

And finally, though I hope he changes it somehow, Lackey ... 

Well, out of approximately 50 seasons, with at least 25 on each team, that isn't too many that I have gotten critical of, is it?

I realize I am weird.  But then, that is why folks like nuts on their sundaes ...

Sections
Shortcuts