That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions before 4 pm deadline-your reaction? Can the Sox still make the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions befor...

In Response to Re: That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions before 4 pm deadline-your reaction? Can the Sox still make the playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions before 4 pm deadline-your reaction? Can the Sox still make the playoffs? : Well I'm pretty sure I didn't mention Greinke but to my overall point, everyone incessently complains about the "big moves" that don't work out and then they turn around a complain about a lack of the "big move" at the deadline. More specifically to Greinke, I don' t know how good the 3 prospects LA gave up to get him, but seldom does giving up prospects for a 2 month rental benefit the organization long term.  Really, anything short of a world series win and it isn't a good move in hindsight.  Heck, the Sox won with Gagne but would have been better off keeping Murphy.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I got what you were saying.  What I am saying is that all big moves are not the same.  Its very possible to want to not want to sign Lackey (who was never a trully elite pitcher and was already regressing) and want to sign Greinke (top 10 pitcher, still squarely in his prime).  So its possible to say: I was against the Lackey signing but we should have made a big move, without being hypocritical.

The reason this team is in trouble is not because we've made too many big moves.  Its because the big moves that we've made have been stupid.

Its unwise to "avoid big moves at all costs."  That is asking us to operate like the Twins, Mariners, Padres, and Pirates.  If you operate like them, you can expect similar results.

Rather than avoiding big moves, we need to be selective with big moves.  And big names, who made a lot of sense, were available.

BTW, I love your posts, Im just dissapointed and ranting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions befor...

In Response to Re: That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions before 4 pm deadline-your reaction? Can the Sox still make the playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions before 4 pm deadline-your reaction? Can the Sox still make the playoffs? : Nail on the head!  Just because he is a free agent at the end of this year, doesnt make him a rental.  If you let him walk, he's a rental.  That's why you dont let him walk.  You spend the next half year courting him and building a relationship with him.  Then you pay him. Its very hard to acquire a true ace, and we just missed our chance.  Good luck next year with 4 #3 pitchers.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Absent dumping Beckett or Crawford or Lackey and their salary, there is no way the Red Sox were going to pay Greinke. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions before 4 pm deadline-your reaction? Can the Sox still make the playoffs? : Absent dumping Beckett or Crawford or Lackey and their salary, there is no way the Red Sox were going to pay Greinke. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Jenks, Youk, Dice K = ~30 million off the books. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That's all folks!Team source tells @GordonEdes it's unlikely the Red Sox will be involved in any other transactions before 4 pm deadline-your reaction? Can the Sox still make the playoffs? : Jenks, Youk, Dice K = ~30 million off the books. 
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Very true.  Some built in raises to Lester and Buchholz, arb raises for others (Salty, Felix, Morales), RF will need to be addressed, again, and maybe SS.  So that will take up a portion of the 30 million but in theory there should be money to spend. 

They still can pursue Greinke in the off season, after last years spending spree, the Angels might not be interested in retaining him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I believe that the Red Sox wil earn a Wild Card berth.

Our only threat is the team we are playing tonight-- the Tigers.

I do not see Oakland playing this well for the rest of the season.

Sections
Shortcuts