That's it. New factors for JBJ. I'm in.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: That's it. New factors for JBJ. I'm in.

Exactly. As much as I believe the first 10 games are as important as the last 10, those 11 are HUGE when it comes to that extra year. And I'm not hoping they'll trade SV. In fact, I hope he tears it up, but I'm not thinking that will happen. Even if he does play well, which again I hope he does, He's probably the most expendable if/when you bring up JBJ. They have a similar skill set, whereas Gomes is a power threat, which you need in addition. I think SV could be involved in a midseason trade, not just to dump guys, but to bring in pieces (Starter!!!!!!!) that they'll need for the playoff push they should be competing for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The way I look at it is that a young guy like Bradley is going to pretty much struggle in full season ball anyway so why not try to keep him fresh by playing him mainly against RH pitching? If he does well give him more playing time against LH pitching also, which has never been a problem for him. We really need a solid leadoff guy in order for Ellsbury to become the 3rd hitting stud we know he can be. I have no problem phasing him into the majors in this manner.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Nice OP!  Hope they go with the kid in LF!!!!  I haven't one doubt the kid can play the hell out of any position they put him in.  Sure, playing him in LF is a relative waste compared to where he should be, CF, but who the hell gives a damn?  So long as he's in the lineup!!!!  He will quickly become our best OF'r!!!  NO DOUBT!!!!  Sorry!  I love Ells, but he dosen't even compare!  His arm is seriously worse than my sister's!  Pathetic.  His speed is his only asset in the OF.  Again, Sorry!  but it's true.  Still love him, and if he gets back to form, he should tear it up with his bat??? At least hope to hell he does!!!!

Sox better make this move, or they could lose a HUGE segment of RS Nation.  The oh so important Pink Hats.  No joke. I do value them, as they bring cash into the coffers, affording OUR Sox the capital to buy more talent!  If they lay an egg early, and fans start to perceive this really is nothing more than the beginning of a few bridge years, there will be a mass exitus.  The truly faithful.....  US..... will be left watching. 

the benefit of the JBJ move is....  It's not only a PR coupe, but a GREAT baseball move!  The kid will help us win!!!  I honestly believe that THIS TEAM is perhaps one SP and 1 or 2 position players away from being a true contender.  At least make the easy move!  Pull the trigger, and quit the worn out cliches about losing a control year 7 years down the road.  The "kid" is 23 GD years old!  Stop parroting conventional wisdom and think for yourselves!

p.s.  THANK YOU for beating little billy to the punch on this OP!  How pathetic is this little billy-69 who can't stand somebody else starting a thread????  Narcissist extraordinaire

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

well, JBJ would be wasted in LF when playing at fenway.. in most other parks (like yankee stadium) with a spacious LF he will have room to roam.

too bad we play the majority of our games in hitters parks. the best part of JBJs game may be getting stifled playing half his games in a tiny LF.. but oh well. we'll see what happens

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from einrac. Show einrac's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

well, JBJ would be wasted in LF when playing at fenway.. in most other parks (like yankee stadium) with a spacious LF he will have room to roam.

too bad we play the majority of our games in hitters parks. the best part of JBJs game may be getting stifled playing half his games in a tiny LF.. but oh well. we'll see what ha

mef429's comment=BIG ZERO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Isn't the 1st game in Yankee Stadum? I vaguely remember that but could be wrong. Would he not be a good fit in their LF? I'm starting to think he could start the year with the team. I'm still not saying he should but I see it as a real possibility at this point. The Redsox appear to be using this to build on the whole PR buzz of it even if they don't end up doing it but the PR value and overall hype of this is extremely valuable to them at this point.

And it just might make both business and baseball sense for them to start him with the team. The buzz of this is invaluable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I bet season ticket sales are coming around again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarnieWilson. Show CarnieWilson's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I love it.

Already talk of trading SV.

For a bag of balls and softy's very old jock strap!

You have a great moniker. Always like to see our top prospects mixed in with the veterans. They bring excitement to the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Want to bet Ellsbury has a solid year in 2013 Softbrain? Do you want to lose yet again?

It had to be tough losing in 2012, after you boasted how good he would be when "he got healthy". You said the same thing in 2010.

Erstad. You'll need to specifcally provide the numbers, and I'll be happy to embarrass you again. "Solid year" doesn't cut it.

I projected Ellsbury to have a "monster" year in 2011, and that is exactly what happened. I am projecting him to have a similar year in 2013, assuming he can stay on the field with some health. I've been right in my projections overall and you have been about as off on Ellsbury as you can get. I even projected he would develop above HR pop when no one hear projected that. That he would have a career similar to Damon, except for 2 years less length. All the while you scoffed. Who was right? Clearly me.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Ellsbury career BA = .297

Damon's career BA = .284

Ellsbury career OBP = .349

Damon career OBP = .354

Ellsbury career RC+ = 108

Damon Career RC+ = 105

Ellsbury Overall:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4727&position=OFcareer OBP  = .349

Damon Overall:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=185&position=OF

Indications are that if not for 2 catastrophic injuries, Ellsbury would probably have at least as good a career as Damon. He is better defensively, had a much better SB percentage and has emerged as a better player once he reached his prime years. He came into the league at 2 years older but he has a solid chance of having as good a career as Damon had.

But I think we have covered this territory before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I am projecting him to have a similar year in 2013, assuming he can stay on the field with some health.

Needless to say, no one takes you seriously with this generally vague garbage.

He's not having a similar year to Damon, nor as he "developed pop". His average HR production reflects his impotently low career HR total. The one season he had with the high HR total was due to a steady diet of fast balls in front of a near career year from Pedroia and oustanding career seasons from AGon and Ortiz. Put this guy in front of the garbage from a year ago and he's the overrated prima donna bum he's been for most of his career.

You were dead wrong, and Ellsbury is about to leave town in what will be nothing but a pipe dream to think he's getting a Crawbust contract in FA. Whoever signs this loser will regret it, but it won't be the Red Sox.

Ellsbury was 2nd in the league in the MVP vote and IMO, should have won it in 2011. To project him as having a similar year to 2011 is not at all vague garbage. It's calling for another monster year. Wake up. There is nothing vague about this at all. No player can control their injuries and Ellsbury clearly has had significant injuries as many players have had. Is Mike Trout expected to have a monster year? Yes, but he could get injured also and if I had to bet, I think there is a solid chance that he does. It is part of the game and some guys have a propensity for it. Trout steals a lot of bases and is agressive defensively. He is going to get hurt unless he changes his style some, which he may well do now as he has gained some weight BTW. When Kalish was coming up I projected he would struggle mightily to stay on the field with his playing style. And that is exactly what happened.

Ellsbury is more cautious and has done well to stay on the field but the Beltre incident could have happened to anyone and I wouldn't be surprised if infielders tried to land on Ellsbury after all those SB. It is a huge part of winning in professional sports all too often.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

For the record, Softlaw is projecting Ellsbury to leave town as nothing but a pipe dream. I am projecting a top 10 MVP finish. We will see who is right on that one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The one season he had with the high HR total was due to a steady diet of fast balls in front of a near career year from Pedroia and oustanding career seasons from AGon and Ortiz. 

Ells fastball %

09     67.5

10    63.3

11    61.7

17    60.8

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

why folks so pessimistic about Victorino?  I'm thinking he's gonna have a great year. as for bringing Bradley up, think it was a smart move.  this team needs an injection of young blood and he appears ready and willing to give the fans something to cheer about.  optimistic fans improve team morale which helps bring out the best in them.  we need every ounce of optimism we can muster. heck, i've even willing to let aceves be aceves as long as he doesn't blow up in a way that hurts the team.  so far, players seem to be supporting him and that's a good thing.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

A top 10 MVP year is by definition one of the top 10 position players in the league. That is a monster year.

Regarding the fastballs, I believe you can get that data from fangraphs and probably baseball reference as well. Are you really Softy?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Softy with dementia. OK, I get it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I resemble my own remark!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

For those of us, including me as I age, who I have offended, I apologize sincerely, ...except of course to softy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Today they played Bradley in LF some. For the first time. I want to send Bradley to AAA ball for 11 games but then he is slotted as our leadoff guy soon after being called up. Possibly immediately upon call up. Why?

This is why. Against RH pitching, this is probably a much better lineup:

1) Bradley 

2) Pedroia

3) Ellsbury

4) Napoli

5) Middlebrooks

6) Nava

7) Sweeney

8) Salty

9) Iglesias / Drew

I think Farrel should give Victorino a shot for 11 games in RF, and I fully expect him to hit LH pitching well but he and Gomes should maybe sit against RH pitching, especially if either do not produce early on. They are always available to pinch hit as needed later in the game but with the above lineup they could DH Napoli and play Nava at 1st ( or vice versa ) with the outfield still being decent defensively with Sweeney, Bradley and Ellsbury. Perhaps most importantly, I think we need to slot Ellsbury #3 on this team, this year. We need some Right / Left balance and he is by far the most likely offensive stud we have on this team this year IMO.

We need to be able to produce runs when against RH pitching, especially if Ortiz is not expected to contribute much. 

We could then trade Victorino / Sweeney and it looks like even Aceves might have some value right now as well.

Ciriaco led the team with 18 hits last spring and was clearly as good or better than any SS on the roster.  Bradley has 21 hits and clearly a better player than Nava, Sweeney, Gomes and company, not to mention our future CF. but I doubt you see him in the lineup right away.  As far as Iggy goes?  Ciriaco isn't that much worse defensively, sprays the ball around better offensively and can make things happen on base so hes still a better option to back Drew. 

I personally would love to see Ells, Bradley and Victorino in the starting OF just to see how they do at the plate.  In my opinion it would clearly be our fastest and most effective defensive OF once Bradley got more playing time.  Those three together would cover some serious ground.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

I've seen JBJ play 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Athletic, poised, confident. Much better arm than people think. Pretty good discipline in the box too. The kid is smooth. He's a "ball player"......... He should start in center with Ells and his much weaker arm moved to left.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to upperco1's comment:

I've seen JBJ play 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Athletic, poised, confident. Much better arm than people think. Pretty good discipline in the box too. The kid is smooth. He's a "ball player"......... He should start in center with Ells and his much weaker arm moved to left.

That's exactly what I've been saying. Victorino probably has the best outfield arm on the team followed closely by Bradley Jr. Why would you put an arm like that in Fenway's tiny left field?