That's it. New factors for JBJ. I'm in.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: That's it. New factors for JBJ. I'm in.

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Bradley looked pretty bad on 2 straight AB when nothing but curveballs were thrown to him in the last game and he homered on a fastball in the same game. I'd keep throwing him curveballs. 

Cliff Lee has been making a lot of hitters look silly with his bender for a long time now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Bradley looked pretty bad on 2 straight AB when nothing but curveballs were thrown to him in the last game and he homered on a fastball in the same game. I'd keep throwing him curveballs. 

Cliff Lee has been making a lot of hitters look silly with his bender for a long time now.

One of the guys who struck him out yesterday with 3 straight curveballs was not Lee though. 

But then today Bradley gets up twice with a nice single to CF with 2 strikes and he creams a curveball over the RF's head for a triple. Hits the cutoff after fielding the ball quickly to help throw out a guy at 2nd. The kid has the goods. I think we have found our.....

Right fielder! Can you imagine the pressure Victorino must be feeling right now? Are we going to dump him and eat half his salary or what? Ellsbury was great in RF a  few years ago. He could be excellent in LF also I would think. 

If you had to put a lineup on the field right now would Victorino be your RF? If it were just projected results I don't think you could hold Bradley back.

I'd even go so far to say at this point that he is our top prospect. Bogaerts has tremendous potential but Bradley looks like a serious ROY candidate right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

If I were putting together the Red Sox outfield for 4/1 in the Bronx it would be

Ellsbury - LF

Bradley Jr. - CF

Victorino - RF

Ellsbury would be in left because he has the weakest arm of the bunch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm thinking they are going to have to clear a 25 man roster spot for him, or at the very least a 40 man roster spot for him in the next 3 weeks. If it were me I would look at trading a Ciriaco, a Sweeney, a Hassan or a Carp. I don't see Overbay making the team. I think Iglesias can go in Ciriaco's spot. It's really hard to trade such players now as many just will get cut in the next week anyway and will be easy to pick up that way but Hassan is probably gone one way or the other. And Ciriaco's days are probably numbered as well. They may actually be able to get something of value for Sweeney or Nava.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I'm thinking they are going to have to clear a 25 man roster spot for him, or at the very least a 40 man roster spot for him in the next 3 weeks. If it were me I would look at trading a Ciriaco, a Sweeney, a Hassan or a Carp. I don't see Overbay making the team. I think Iglesias can go in Ciriaco's spot. It's really hard to trade such players now as many just will get cut in the next week anyway and will be easy to pick up that way but Hassan is probably gone one way or the other. And Ciriaco's days are probably numbered as well. They may actually be able to get something of value for Sweeney or Nava.

I kinda think Sweeney should go, if only because he duplicates what JBJ would be. Only need one of Nava or Carp because both seem to be adequate at 1st/LF.

I wanted Iggy to play full time, especially as he has come to camp prepared, but the reality is that he needs to play every day. I can't see Iggy in Ciriaco's role. Would be great if Drew was dealt along with some of our other pieces, but I don't see that happening soon. When Drew comes back, Iggy probably goes to Pawtucket until we move Drew at the trading deadline.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

One more factor that hasn't been mentioned. The Sox will probably want to sign Bradley long-term at some point. They can build some trust now by treating him fairly and giving him the opening day spot that he has earned.  Why give him the impression that they will deny him that spot solely to keep another year of control down the road ? That is not the way to start the relationship. And , please don't tell me about Boras. Players sign with him because he has the reputation of getting the most money for them. There is nothing wrong with that. Money matters. A lot.  If you want to compete year after year , you have to spend the money. But spend it wisely on the players who deserve it. Don't keep wasting money on a bunch of veteran ham and eggers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Iglesias's FA clock has already started. And he has historically had difficulty staying healthy enough to be on the field for a full season. I don't buy into the "regular AB" theory at some point. To me Iglesias and the team would be better served by using this year to give him mlb level playing time, even if he only gets 200-300 AB. Ciriaco is what he is. Iglesias is going to get better.

Most people think this is to a degree a rebuilding year. I'd rather give guys like JBJ, Iglesias and Lavarnway time to develop at the mlb level now and start moving the 1 year contract guys out. The young players will get better over time if they get some mlb level time now. I'd rather have them develop before we are in the middle of a playoff race. And for Iglesias, in particular, a part time slot is not as bad an option as most people think. He isn't going to stay on the field all year without an injury anyway. He hasn't been able to so far in 3 years. 

We need to get out of that mindset once the players get close to the majors. We would be better off keeping our players fresh and giving our young studs more mlb level time to make the transition.

I know I'm in the minority on this. I just think it is more of an option for some guys than others. For example, there is no reason to think Iglesias will be of more value to us over the course of his contract by sending him back to the minors now. His FA clock has already started. For guys like Bradley, he sure looks like he can play at the mlb level already. Wait 2 weeks and bring him up. Assuming we do not start the year with him, a huge assumption at this point as I think he might well have earned a starting slot, he is almost definitely going to play at some point this year anyway so send him down for 2 weeks only and then give him a full year in mlb to make the transition.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

One more factor that hasn't been mentioned. The Sox will probably want to sign Bradley long-term at some point. They can build some trust now by treating him fairly and giving him the opening day spot that he has earned.  Why give him the impression that they will deny him that spot solely to keep another year of control down the road ? That is not the way to start the relationship.

correct, it most certainly is not. And, for a team that blows 150 million or more a year, it's not the way to allocate playing time and make roster decisions!

Of that 150 million , at least 40 million is going to Gomes , Victorino, Drew and Dempster. Were they needed? Are they worth it ?  Maybe you could make a case that we needed one outfielder since we let Ross walk.  

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts