1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

thats what the sox need.an old pitcher.

this team should never sign a free agent over 30 yrs old and dempster

is 35.this team might not be any better than last year.i dont see any

greatness in the people they signed yet and i dont think we will.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: thats what the sox need.an old pitcher.

In response to soxyjim's comment:

most players do not hit FA until they are 30...or really close to it. so unless you are planning on not using FA to bolster your team your going to have to live with it. age is just a number. jeter is 45 and still playing at a HoF level. papi is close to 40 and still putting up fantastic numbers.. just because you are older doesn't mean you are useless or in decline. talent is talent regardless of age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Dempster is not the answer.   Excluding the Age issue, if you just look at his stats, he has been a National League Pitcher most of his career (all except last year).  Didn't do that well in the AL West last year, so not thinking that with a majority of the games in the AL East, he would do well at all.  Just don't think it's a good fit.

Steer clear of this one. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I really would hope we can do better than Dempster, especially at the reported price. I'm thinking his rejecting that 2/25 offer will turn out to be a boon for us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I have to agree.  If the Sox aren't going to get a starter that is ready to improve the top of the rotation, then they might as well go with what they have for now, and sign a few Aaron Cooks for depth.  With De LaRosa, Morales, Aceves, and Webster all possibilities for the #5 slot, they have good arms and lots of depth for the 5th spot in the rotation.  It is the top of the rotation that could use a lift. 

As for getting that through trade, I do not see it happening.  Bradley is too valuable to the team with Ellsbury just a year away from walking, and only old and odd pieces left to man the OF (other than Kalish).  Bogaerts is only expendable if Iglesias suddenly learns how to hit and Middlebrooks and Pedroia both stay healthy and prove they are good for the next couple of years.  Barnes is essential to the rotation in 2014 and beyond, as contracts and age will require a complete overhaul of the rotation by 2015.  And I think all three of these guys would have to be in play to get a guy like Anderson, even with his injury history.  The Royals offered Myers, the #1 ranked MiL player, straight up for Anderson and were turned down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I have to agree.  If the Sox aren't going to get a starter that is ready to improve the top of the rotation, then they might as well go with what they have for now, and sign a few Aaron Cooks for depth.  With De LaRosa, Morales, Aceves, and Webster all possibilities for the #5 slot, they have good arms and lots of depth for the 5th spot in the rotation.  It is the top of the rotation that could use a lift. 

As for getting that through trade, I do not see it happening.  Bradley is too valuable to the team with Ellsbury just a year away from walking, and only old and odd pieces left to man the OF (other than Kalish).  Bogaerts is only expendable if Iglesias suddenly learns how to hit and Middlebrooks and Pedroia both stay healthy and prove they are good for the next couple of years.  Barnes is essential to the rotation in 2014 and beyond, as contracts and age will require a complete overhaul of the rotation by 2015.  And I think all three of these guys would have to be in play to get a guy like Anderson, even with his injury history.  The Royals offered Myers, the #1 ranked MiL player, straight up for Anderson and were turned down.

if jacoby walks after 2013 victorino will likely be the bridge to JBJ in 2015 (he just started AA ball and at the earliest probably will arrive mid-2014 after his super 2 deadline... barring injury of course). Bogaerts could land at 1B/3B especially if WMB doesn't continue to develop defensively in 2013-14 he could be the guy to move to 1B after naps assumes the DH role. leaving 3B open for xander.

if papi sticks around longer, naps stays at 1B and WMB develops into a solid 3Bman then LF is all xander. so saying bogaerts future with the sox is dependant on WMB and iggy is kind of dumb seeing as if Xander is as advertized the sox would move BOTH iggy and WMB in an instant to make room for him. luckily we wont have to.

also myers is an OF'er and oakland has no need for another OF'er which is why they declined. we match up more with oaklands needs than the royals do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

most players do not hit FA until they are 30...or really close to it. so unless you are planning on not using FA to bolster your team your going to have to live with it. age is just a number. jeter is 45 and still playing at a HoF level. papi is close to 40 and still putting up fantastic numbers.. just because you are older doesn't mean you are useless or in decline. talent is talent regardless of age.

I really hope that "Jeter is 45" comment was a joke, hes 38 years old...

I agree that the sox are moving in the wrong direction, overpaying for old players coming off bad seasons is just not going to fix this team. and dempster, though a fine pitch in the NL would be a disaster in the AL East, at this point I'm not sure the team is any better now then they where last year, I was all for trading away the payroll of AGon, crawford and beckett, but replacing them with older inferior talent and overpaying to boot? dont think so...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:

I agree that the sox are moving in the wrong direction, overpaying for old players coming off bad seasons is just not going to fix this team. and dempster, though a fine pitch in the NL would be a disaster in the AL East, at this point I'm not sure the team is any better now then they where last year, I was all for trading away the payroll of AGon, crawford and beckett, but replacing them with older inferior talent and overpaying to boot? dont think so...

yes it was a joke. hyperbole. hard to knock him any other way than calling him old man rivers (or OMAR for short).

i don't think dempster is a good idea either but we are looking to bridge to our prospects and giving out long deals is not the best way to go about that. its not only about building a competitive team for the present. its about changing the clubhouse culture from last year (which was horrendous. the worse clubhouse atmosphere i've ever seen) which is growing in importance the closer we get to the arrival of the next generation of redsox. we are going after hard working guys who will (hopefully) mesh and create an environment that will help our prospects thrive. look at doobie in 2012.. harping at the umpires like the rest of the staff.. is that what you want your rookies coming into the league and thinking thats ok? do you want your rookies coming into the league and sending text messages to upper management about the manager? hell no! they are creating a hard working mentality that will transfer to our prospects when they arrive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:

Just wondering how cheap you think the Sox can replace AGon, CC and Beckett with superior talent and not shell out the same type of money? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" but replacing them with older inferior talent and overpaying to boot? dont think so..."

You do realize that one reason for overpaying was that they wanted to get them on three year deals right? When you are bidding against four year deals you have to overpay to get them to take three. I don't have a problem with it. 

The OP seems confused: Manny Ramirez and/or Pedro Martinez types are not available currently. There is no greatness. What would you have them do, sign nobody? 

I'm not crazy about these signings but this gloom and doom stuff is silly.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Guru-Meditation-. Show -Guru-Meditation-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts