The 2 and 10 start is still muddling this team's perception.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

The 2 and 10 start is still muddling this team's perception.

The Red Sox stand in first place today, with a record of 35 and 26, a .574 winning percentage. Yet I still don't think it is understood how good this team has played.

Since the 2-10 start, the Red Sox have gone 33 and 16 over a 49 game period. That's playing well over a month of .673 Winning Percentage Ball. To give that perspective, if the Red Sox played that winning percentage, not even over a whole season, but for the rest of the 150 games after the 2 and 10 start, the Red Sox would win 101 games over that time (162 games of .673 ball is 109 wins).

The Red Sox score an average of 5.03 runs a game, and our run differential is steadily rising and now sits at +35,  not bad when you consider that the Sox started the first 12 games by digging themselves -33 differential hole.

It's gonna be a long season boys, but we have a lot to cheer for. GO SOX!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Re: The 2 and 10 start is still muddling this team's perception.

I could certainly live with a 103 win season this year.  They all have accomplished this despite poor years from several players as well...peddy, cc, lackey, dice, jenks, wheeler, drew, cameron, mcdonald, scutaro, and others who are simply Ok in youk, buch, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not muddling my perception.  I think it only muddles the perception of those that saw 2-10 as the horrible truth about the quality of the club and not an unfortunate early abberration.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

They haven't been ready to start the season for the last two seasons.  They have to be better prepared in spring training.  Not sure who is to blame for this, but they would be in an even better position if they didn't have the disappointing start that they had.  Maybe next year they can be better prepared to start the season.  Many of us would be happy to see them start with a winning record in April. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Let's not go ape here.  This has been amazing recovery from a bad start, but there is a lot of baseball still to play, and our pitching has the 10th best ERA in the AL.  The offense is terrific, but you gotta have some pitching to go with it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I am not as quick to jump on the train of they weren't prepared coming out of ST as they ran into some hot clubs. The Indians and Rangers both came out of the gate fast. We then had the NYY and managed to win 2-3 and then dropped three straight to a Rays team that was as "due" as the RS were.

The start is not a typical of a down cycle any team can have over the course of the season. It is more pronounced when you start with 0-0 record but most teams have a stretch or two like that over 162.

And I am not that concerned about slow starts. For many years in the last 10 the RS were the hot starting team only to end the year as Wild card entrant while the NYY almost always started slow and won the division.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Didn't muddle my perception when I wrote, right after going 2-10:

"I am not worried. If Beckett or Lackey join Buch and Lester with solid seasons free from long term DL, and the core players (Pedroia, AGon, Youk, Ortiz, Papelbon, Bard) avoid long term DL's, the Red Sox will approach dog days and start blowing by the other teams."

That doesn't mean a strong contender doesn't have weaknesses it still should address and improve upon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: The 2 and 10 start is still muddling this team's perception.:
    Let's not go ape here.  This has been amazing recovery from a bad start, but there is a lot of baseball still to play, and our pitching has the 10th best ERA in the AL.  The offense is terrific, but you gotta have some pitching to go with it. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

To me, it's being muddled enough that fans are thinking we need Jose Reyes, or that we have a non-existent bench. I think we could use a good arm, but anything else is muddled perception of our offense and defense which has been outstanding for a month's play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: The 2 and 10 start is still muddling this team's perception.:
    I am not as quick to jump on the train of they weren't prepared coming out of ST as they ran into some hot clubs. The Indians and Rangers both came out of the gate fast. We then had the NYY and managed to win 2-3 and then dropped three straight to a Rays team that was as "due" as the RS were. The start is not a typical of a down cycle any team can have over the course of the season. It is more pronounced when you start with 0-0 record but most teams have a stretch or two like that over 162. And I am not that concerned about slow starts. For many years in the last 10 the RS were the hot starting team only to end the year as Wild card entrant while the NYY almost always started slow and won the division.
    Posted by fivekatz
    Thoughtful comments. 
    The perception of unreadiness is traceable in part to expectations and eagerness for the season to begin, but also to a club that looked  bad losing. Not all losing clubs look really bad. The Sox looked dead in the water. They made a lot of mistakes.  Cause and effect get mixed together. Do you look bad and dead in the water because you're losing? Or the other way around? Cause and effect feed off each other. The club gave the impression that it was sterile. Going through the motions. Or that impression was easy to assign.  
    I don't think that it was entirely unfair to question readiness, but the griping was probably taken too far. 
    Man, but they were odiferous out of the gate. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Most teams would welcome the opportunity to throw out their worst 12-game stretch.

The Red Sox appear solid with the third-best record in baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I have to agree with 5katz.  Texas and Cleveland were super hot to start out the year.  The Sox have often had hot Aprils and then gone south.  This year they were tepid in April, and so far hot in May and June.  This I would rather see.  It is much more fun, and hopefully they get momentum they can carry right through to the All-Star break. 

BTW, It will be interesting to see how they come out of the All-Star break, as they have been notoriously bad several of the last 10 years or so.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And not to be too picky here, but the 2 - 10 start is not muddling the team's perception, it is muddling the perception fans have of the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

As I said weeks ago, the Indians are pretenders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

And not to be too picky here, but the 2 - 10 start is not muddling the team's perception, it is muddling the perception fans have of the team.
    Posted by parhunter1

That is precisely what I meant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I have to agree with 5katz.  Texas and Cleveland were super hot to start out the year.  The Sox have often had hot Aprils and then gone south.  This year they were tepid in April, and so far hot in May and June.  This I would rather see.  It is much more fun, and hopefully they get momentum they can carry right through to the All-Star break.  BTW, It will be interesting to see how they come out of the All-Star break, as they have been notoriously bad several of the last 10 years or so.
    Posted by parhunter1
    My feeling is that the RS since '67 have often been red hot starters as you mention and in this decade and in the 70's the NYY would start cold and pass us. Better to have an April swoon than a June swoon or to wilt in the dog days of August IMO, more time to catch it up.

The downside is when you go 2-10 you wasted one of those "bullets" and if injuries hit hard there is less wiggle room.

I also hear you Ex, they looked awful. When they would hit the starters got crushed. If the starters pitched well the bullpen gave it up and they had a number of guys scuffling at the plate at once. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Didn't muddle my perception when I wrote, right after going 2-10: "I am not worried. If Beckett or Lackey join Buch and Lester with solid seasons free from long term DL, and the core players (Pedroia, AGon, Youk, Ortiz, Papelbon, Bard) avoid long term DL's, the Red Sox will approach dog days and start blowing by the other teams." That doesn't mean a strong contender doesn't have weaknesses it still should address and improve upon.
    Posted by betterredthandead

Who wrote that? I'm not sure if you were around for the Red Sox wonderful start to the year or not.

Sections
Shortcuts