The 2011 Playoff conclusions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

The 2011 Playoff conclusions

A few things I've concluded about the Red Sox by watching a lot of play-off baseball.

1.  Our pitchers work way too slow.  Beckett, Lester, Paps, etc.... I think we all already knew this but in watching especially the N.L. teams, it is evident that working quickly is of benefit to the pitcher, the defense, and the fan.  Get it and throw it! Tonight's game has been a perfect example of this. 

2. Scutaro does not have anything resembling a ML SS arm.  In terms of arm stength  Scutaro vs. Furcal/Andrus is like a high school QB vs. Aaron Rodgers.

3. Bunting works and the Red Sox are a terrible bunting team.  We know the Red Sox don't bunt often because it is against there overall philosophy but it seems like on the rare occasion they attempt a bunt, they botch it.  I get that it is a cause/effect thing, meanng they don't try often so they aren't good at it, but I see N.L. pitchers bunting effectiviely so c'mon.  Didn't Aviles bunt into a 5-4-3 DP in game 162, unreal.

4. Papelbon/Bard are a pretty ordinary 1-2 punch.  I'm not saying they aren't good but every one of the last 4 teams has lights out guys, meaning plural, at the back end.  Bullpens are increasingly important, so going forward whether it is Papelbon or not, the Red Sox need to have multiple hard throwers down there, because that is clearly the recipe in todays era of 6 inning starts.

What am I missing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: The 2011 Playoff conclusions

In #2, You should change Aaron Rodgers to Tom Brady.   :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The bunt was real effective the other night for Cards #2 hitter bunts runner over, so of course they walk Pujols so you gave up an out and took the bat out of the hands of your best hitter, makes perfect sense to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: The 2011 Playoff conclusions:
    [QUOTE]  The bunt was real effective the other night for Cards #2 hitter bunts runner over, so of course they walk Pujols so you gave up an out and took the bat out of the hands of your best hitter, makes perfect sense to me.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

How constructive.  Should I cite 1 example of when bunting worked to prove it always makes perfect sense? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

You only learn so much watching post season play.

Two games over 162 you don't even see the Cards. They quite simply got hot at the right time and have stayed hot.

In 2003 if all you watched was the post season you have concluded the Boston Red Sox had a great bullpen which over the regular season was far from the case, it was the game's worst.

Every year fans look at the current champs and make too many conclusions about that team being "the" model.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: The 2011 Playoff conclusions:
    [QUOTE]You only learn so much watching post season play. Two games over 162 you don't even see the Cards. They quite simply got hot at the right time and have stayed hot. In 2003 if all you watched was the post season you have concluded the Boston Red Sox had a great bullpen which over the regular season was far from the case, it was the game's worst. Every year fans look at the current champs and make too many conclusions about that team being "the" model.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is a coincidence that the final four all boast a solid bullpen, with mostly with guys with defined 8th 9th inning roles.  Obviously the Cards have seen the BP gel at the right time but that doesn't mean bullpen depth is less valuable. 

I never intended to create a model, simply watching these teams and seeing things they do well/have that the Red Sox don't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thor7. Show thor7's posts

Just finished watching game 2 world series...

So who knew a "serious" baseball game could be completed in 3 hours.
    You would think Beckett et. al. are paid by the hour instead of $5,000 per pitch.
    Heck I would pitch faster to get more in... Of course the intimidating stare and glare, shake off and start over can work but the question is who will lose attention first, the batter blinking or the fielder napping?

Meanwhile how can a batter be prepared to hit without stepping out of the box, adjusting all equipment, spitting on gloves, taking deep breaths, scratching the turf to anchor the shoe, then losing patience or train of thought and starting over?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

LOL. During the season when the Red Sox are on the road and one of the batters on the other team is in a hot streak , the threads appear here demanding a trade for that player. "Why don't we have that player" they shout. They are then informed that player X hit .220 the year before.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

It's pretty obvious that we would've been overmatched had we made the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Can you imagine Thesemenarecowards and Bill James sitting down at the Thanksgiving table and talking baseball? What an appetite killer that would be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Did anyone see the plays Elvis Andrus made tonight? Wow. With him and Kinsler, that's a one-two punch right there. Anyway we could get Elvis? That would be awesome.