the 2014 infield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

the 2014 infield

Except for Pedroia (ersting tonight), is this the 2014 infield? A very good chance, I would guess.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: the 2014 infield

is what the 2014 infield

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Except for Pedroia (ersting tonight), is this the 2014 infield? A very good chance, I would guess.

Certainly could be...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think they'll take a chance and offer a QO to all 4 of our FAs.  And only Ells is automatic to decline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In all the discussions about retaining free agents Ellsbury, Napoli, Drew, and Saltalamacchia, it has become increasingly clear Ben C is unlikely to keep both Napoli and Drew and likely to keep one of them.  My money is on Drew because he has actually been a pretty good defensive SS.  Not as good as Iglesias, of course, but solid.  And a better bat and a lefty bat at that.  So I agree last night was probably a preview. 

However, Ben C has demonstrated that he develops lots of options before committing, so I'm thinking it is possible Drew and Napoli both leave, which will leave an opening at 1B. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Ersting tonight?

Sounds kinky.

Wink

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I think they'll take a chance and offer a QO to all 4 of our FAs.  And only Ells is automatic to decline.

I agree Ells is most likely to decline.  I'd be fine if they all accepted.  Perhaps an overpay for Salty, but I would be happy to sign him for 4/50 if that what it takes as good catchers are so rarely available.  Fangraphs is just an indication of value, but look at 2013:

• Ellsbury:  Salary 9.0m, value 28.8m, games 131
    • Saltalamacchia:  4.5m, 16.0m,  117
    • Napoli:  13.0m, 18.1m, 136
    • Drew:  9.5m, 14.1m, 119

I'll bet they are all given the QO and will all decline.....on a 162-game basis they have all massively outperformed their salary.  

In contrast:

• AGon:  21.0m, 13.5m , 150
    • Victorino: 13.0m , 28.0m, 118
    • Reddick:  .51m, 11.3m, 107
    • Nava:  .506m, 8.0m, 129

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Interesting that Middlebrooks was used at 1st base on Sat. night.

Could it be that Cherry is thinking Middlebrooks at 1st instead of resigning Napoli? Then Bogaerts at 3rd and keep Drew for one more season? Doubtful that Drew would sign another one year contract, though. I'd rather see a longterm solution at SS , but that does not ever seem to be the Red Sox way.

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Well I saw this one coming.  I'm still going to bet that in 2014'this is our infield.

3b WMB

SS Bogaerts

2nB Pedey

1b Napoli/FA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In all the discussions about retaining free agents Ellsbury, Napoli, Drew, and Saltalamacchia, it has become increasingly clear Ben C is unlikely to keep both Napoli and Drew and likely to keep one of them.  My money is on Drew because he has actually been a pretty good defensive SS.  Not as good as Iglesias, of course, but solid.  And a better bat and a lefty bat at that.  So I agree last night was probably a preview. 

However, Ben C has demonstrated that he develops lots of options before committing, so I'm thinking it is possible Drew and Napoli both leave, which will leave an opening at 1B. 

Max, why do you think it's become increasingly clear?  Other than Boegarts' mediocre start, I haven't seen any signals.  Budget permitting, I don't see a big problem keeping both.  With a week to go in 2013, these are the games missed by:

• Napoli - 20
    • Drew - 37
    • Middlebrooks - 68 (obviously inflated by his demotion)
    • Ortiz - 24 (less a few for interleague games)

So assuming Boegarts is able to play at MLB level going forward and a similar health standard among the above 4, and assuming Midds has 10 missed games next year, that is around 90 games available.

If Boegarts tears it up, we can deal one of the others mid-season.  If he fails, we have a strong IF.  If he's not quite ready, we juggle him with the other 4 and he gets 90 or so games in.

And if one of the other 4 suffers a major injury, we have him as an option.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I was looking forward to

Boggy

Iggy

Pedey

Willy

Now it looks like it's more likely to be:

Willy

Boggy

Pedey

Carp

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Well I saw this one coming.  I'm still going to bet that in 2014'this is our infield.

3b WMB

SS Bogaerts

2nB Pedey

1b Napoli/FA

It all depends on how the market develops for Napoli & Drew.  The Sox have plenty of options and won't have to overpay for either player.  My guess is that one of the two will be back, but there's no way they sign both. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

My prediction is Napoli (accepting a QO) along with Pedroia, Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.

If Napoli walks (QO or not), the FA names for 1B do get very weak after Kendrys Morales...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

Interesting that Middlebrooks was used at 1st base on Sat. night.

Could it be that Cherry is thinking Middlebrooks at 1st instead of resigning Napoli? Then Bogaerts at 3rd and keep Drew for one more season? Doubtful that Drew would sign another one year contract, though. I'd rather see a longterm solution at SS , but that does not ever seem to be the Red Sox way.

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

probably just an experiment, Middy is back at third today.  Cannot have a third baseman who double clutches

[/QUOTE]

that double clutch may have cost us the top seed

also, it would be nice if maybe Clay, during his 3 month vacation, could had found some time to work on his pick off move.......

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Possible 2014 Sox infields:

Most likely:

1B- *Napoli (Carp/Nava/Papi)

2B- Pedroia (Holt)

SS- Bogaerts (Holt)

3B- Middlebrooks (Bogey/Snyder/Holt/Cecchini)

(* Could sign K Morales, Morneau, C Hart, or M Morse instead of Napoli)

Money saver:

1B: Carp/Nava/Papi/Lava/Salty

2B: Pedroia

SS: Bogaerts

3B: Middlebrooks

(* Could sign a cheap corner IF'er or super utilty guy in case of struggles)

Doubtful, but doable:

1B: Middlebrooks

2B: Pedroia

SS: *Drew

3B: Bogaerts

(*Could sign another SS instead of Drew, but short term only.)

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts