The 2015 Red Sox 40 Man Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The 2015 Red Sox 40 Man Roster

The 9 Free Agents: Staying or Departing?

Lester: I'd offer close to $100M/5 take it or leave it. If Jon says no, then I'd look to trade him at the deadline or waiver period.

Uehara: I'd offer close to $26M/2 and do the same as with Lester.

Peavy: I'd look to trade him this year for the best we can get.

Drew: Probably untradeable, unless we chip in $$$. Do not re-sign for next year.

Pierzynski: Look to trade for a promising mid-level prospect. Do not re-sign.

Gomes: See what we can get... Do not re-sign.

Ross: Untradeable. Do not re-sign.

Badenhop: Should bring back a nice mid-level prospect. Doubtful re-sign.

Miller: Should bring back a nice prospect. Probably will not re-sign.

For arguments sake, I will assume all these guys go to free agency, but that does not mean I do not want Lester, Uehara and maybe Miller back, or that they will not return, but I will leave their slots on the roster open.

Rule 5 Eligible Players (from soxprospects.com)

Highlighted Green= Highly probable additions to 40 man roster

Highlighted Yellow= Borderline addition to 40 man roster

The following players will be eligible for the December 2014 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2014:

Jonathan Aro, Matt Barnes, Wilfredo Boscan, Michael Brenly, Corey Brown, Miguel Celestino, David Chester, Sean Coyle, William Cuevas, Jacob Dahlstrand, Keury De La Cruz, Dayan Diaz, Luis Diaz, John Ely, Jason Garcia, Matt Gedman, Sergio Gomez, Bo Greenwell, Dreily Guerrero, Williams Jerez, Ellis Jimenez, Matty Johnson, Zach Kapstein, Jesus Loya, Mike McCarthy, Matty Ott, Mickey Pena, Aneudis Peralta, Oscar Perez, Kendrick Perkins, Carlos Pinales, Noe Ramirez, Henry Ramos, Carlos Rivero, Tim Roberson, Robby Scott, Travis Shaw, David Sopilka, Matt Spring, Blake Swihart, Andres Torres, Jose Valdez, Brayan Villarreal, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

4 Rule 5 Eligible Players added and 7 borderline additions (see final board)

Mookie Betts does not need to be added to the 40 man roster until 2015, but I will assume he makes the roster next year.

Deven Marrero does not need to be added until 2016, but may make the MLB club and need to be added.

Green Highlighted = Probable 40 Man

Yellow Highlighted = Borderline (traded/released?)

The 7 Returning Players (barring trades) with Luxury Tax Salary Numbers

$16M Napoli

$15M Ortiz

$13.7M Pedroia

$13M Victorino

$7.5M Buchholz

$4.8M Mujica

$0.5M Lackey

The big 7 total: ~$70M

Club Options

$4M Breslow Club Option with $100K buyout

I'll assume he returns or is traded.

Total: ~$75M

5 Arbs with 2013 salary

$1.4M Carp (2nd of 3 arbs)

$1.3M Herrera (3 of 3)

$1.3M Tazawa (2 of 3)

$586K Doubront (1 of 3)

$557K Nava (1 of 3)

I'll assume all return or are traded. 

The total salary should be about $7M combined.

Total: ~$82M for 13 players.

The Non Arb Players Currently on the 40 Man Roster

Middlebrooks

Workman

Bogaerts

Bradley Jr.

Wright

Brentz

Britton

Butler

Cecchini

de la Rosa

Hassan

Holt

Lavarnway

Ranaudo

Vazquez

Webster

Wilson

If we do not sign any free agents (impossible), then the other 27 players needed to make the 40 man roster would be paid about $14M total.

Total: ~$96M 

Add: $10.1M for Player Benefits & $3.9M Dodger payment.

TOTAL: ~$111M

That leaves about $78M to spend on free agents above the minimum wage or other salary spent on who they replace.

So here's the 40 Man Roster

________ denotes probable free agents slot

SP (10): __________, __________, Lackey, Buchholz, de la Rosa, Workman, Ranaudo, Barnes, Owens, L. Diaz, Wright

RP (7): __________, Tazawa, Breslow, Mujica, Doubront, Britton, Webster, A Wilson, N Ramirez, M Pena, S Gomez

C (3): ___________, Vazquez, Swihart, Lavarnway, Butler

1B (2): Napoli, Carp, T Shaw

2B (1): Pedroia, Coyle

3B (3): Bogaerts (SS?), Middlebrooks (LF/1B?), Cecchini (LF?)

SS (1): __________, Herrera, Marrero

LF (2): __________, Nava, Hassan

CF (3): Betts, Bradley, H Ramos, C Brown

RF (2): Victorino, Holt (IF/OF),  Brentz, de la Cruz

DH (1): Ortiz

So, I have a minimal of 6 free agent signings and 35 players highlighted in green. Take away the $3.3M the free agents replace (assuming minimum wage players replaced) and we have about $80M to spend on the 6 free agents.

The remaining 5 slots would be filled from the pool of 15 players highlighted in Yellow (note: Marrero does not need to be added to keep in the system). 

I'd guess we keep Coyle, Shaw, Wilson, N Ramirez & Herrera.

With about $80M to spend on free agents and still remain under the luxury tax limit, we could possibly sign 4 big names and 2 role players or just 4 big names and backfill the rest.

Pie-in-the-sky?

$28M/yr Scherzer

$20M/yr Lester

$18M/yr N Cruz

$14M/yr Uehara

There very well could be a trade or two that changes everything here, especially if we make a blockbuster for Stanton, but here is a nice framework to work off of.

Your thought and suggestions (or corrections) are welcome.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: The 2015 Red Sox 40 Man Roster

I just can't see Sox go out and sign Scherzer for $28M/yr even if we have money.  Scherzer declined 6 yr $144M deal from his home team which likely means he wants more money and yr.  We probably have to go 6 yrs plus options to land Scherzer.  I could see Scherzer getting somewhere between $190-200M with some options and I don't think Sox will spend that kind of money on a player when we have deep SP depth and giving up probably top 15-20 draft pick.

That being said, Sox might go out and pull a blockbuster trade for an ace and take on huge chunk of his salary.  Cole Hamels could be one of the targets if he becomes available and I see why not.  Cliff Lee most likely will be available and cost less than Hamels.  Sox could be interested in Matt Cain in hopes that he could use change of scenery.  I read Yu Darvish could become available.  

I don't think Ben will want to give up that pick next yr.  I could see at least 1 or 2 major trades but not a major FA signing except maybe Lester.  

Thanks for your posting always.  good read.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't see the A ball guys like Diaz making the 40 man unless they get promoted to.AA this season

I don't see career minor leaguers like Corey Brown added to the 40-man, especially if he can't hit .250 in AAA.

I don't see Coyle being left off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I don't see the A ball guys like Diaz making the 40 man unless they get promoted to.AA this season

I don't see career minor leaguers like Corey Brown added to the 40-man, especially if he can't hit .250 in AAA.

I think Coyle could be a solid trade bait,but not the primary, included in a blockbuster trade this offseason. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I agree, Diaz is in Portland now and looked good, however it was either 1 or 2 starts he's had so far.  I see Coyle ahead of him right now and although I like Diaz I don't see him sticking to a mlb roster next season.  With some of the free agents leaving, and trade possibilities there might not be much of a roster crunch. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No way you offer Koji that much. Not even close. Hes NOT same pitcher and will be 40yo. If he wants to stay at the same salary, then fine. Why give him an almost 10m raise? Makes no sense to me.

id offer Lester 22m per over 6 years. We have got WAAAAY more production over the last 6 years from him than his salary has reflected. One bad year. Hes transformed into a true "pitcher". Hes earned that salary IMO. Gotta be 6 years though. Someone ( NYY) will certainly offer him that. I stuck with him when he was struggling and believe he will pitch very well into his mid 30's.

Sean Coyle should be on the 40-man. Someone will def snag him up. Hes a Pedey/Holt kinda guy. i like them.

depending on a teams place in the standings and desperation for a certain position, i think the Sox could get rid of a few guys. I doubt we see a fire sale this July, but the roster will certainly look different come August 1st.

lots of $$$ to spend over the next two years. We can lock up a couple homegrown guys and/or sign a couple proven players with the pieces in return we have to offer and the $$$ to sign them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I just can't see Sox go out and sign Scherzer for $28M/yr even if we have money.  Scherzer declined 6 yr $144M deal from his home team which likely means he wants more money and yr.  We probably have to go 6 yrs plus options to land Scherzer.  I could see Scherzer getting somewhere between $190-200M with some options and I don't think Sox will spend that kind of money on a player when we have deep SP depth and giving up probably top 15-20 draft pick.

That being said, Sox might go out and pull a blockbuster trade for an ace and take on huge chunk of his salary.  Cole Hamels could be one of the targets if he becomes available and I see why not.  Cliff Lee most likely will be available and cost less than Hamels.  Sox could be interested in Matt Cain in hopes that he could use change of scenery.  I read Yu Darvish could become available.  

I don't think Ben will want to give up that pick next yr.  I could see at least 1 or 2 major trades but not a major FA signing except maybe Lester.  

Thanks for your posting always.  good read.  

Thanks, and yes, trading for a top pitcher might be a better avenue to go. I merely suggested the big ticket item free agents to show that we have budget space to make a big enough impact to turn this team into a strong contender in just one winter.

Who here does not think this is a highly competitive roster?

Rotation: Scherzer, Lester, Lackey, 2 from: Buchholz, de la Rosa, Workman or Ranaudo/Owens

Bullpen: Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, Mujica, Doubront, Webster, Britton or a SP from above.

1) Betts CF/Holt RF

2) Pedroia 2B

3) Ortiz DH

4) Cruz LF/RF

5) Napoli 1B

6) Bogaerts SS/3B

7) Victorino RF/Holt RF

8) Holt 3B (Marrero SS)

9) Vazquez C

Bench: C-Butler or Swihart, IF- Herrera & Marrero, OF- JBJ & Nava

I do think we make a key trade or two this winter or get proactive and trade for some helpful pieces to our future this deadline or in August.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Luis Diaz has been light-out in 2-3 starts with Portland recently. He's been my sleeper pick for a couple years, and I think we'll need to protect him this time around.

I had him being left unprotected, but maybe your point is that he should not even be listed as "borderline".

I have Coyle listed with one of the 5 players protected from rule 5 by adding to the roster.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I wish Ross were 1 year younger (as in he was still last year's guy), as I think he would be an excellent tutor for Vazquez or Swihart and he understands the role of backup.  I don't relish the idea of going into the season with 2 rookie catchers coupled with what very well could be a young pitching staff. 

Unfortunately, given his diminishing physical skills, I can't see him getting another year (and I'm not sure he wants one).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I agree, Diaz is in Portland now and looked good, however it was either 1 or 2 starts he's had so far.  I see Coyle ahead of him right now and although I like Diaz I don't see him sticking to a mlb roster next season.  With some of the free agents leaving, and trade possibilities there might not be much of a roster crunch. 

Yes, it would be hard to keep Diaz or maybe Coyle too on the 25 man roster all season for any team in MLB, so maybe we could risk it. They also could be trade bait, but many other teams are struggling with similar players trying to make their roster or be lost to rule 5 as well. 

I'm not as worried about our rule 5 players as I was last winter. There are so many roster spots opening up, and most of our best rule 5 players are too far away from staying on a MLB roster all season long.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No way you offer Koji that much. Not even close. Hes NOT same pitcher and will be 40yo. If he wants to stay at the same salary, then fine. Why give him an almost 10m raise? Makes no sense to me.

He's been the best relief pitcher for 2.5 seasons, but you may be right about me offering too much. However, he is certainly worth more than the $4.5M we are paying him now. I'd say at least $10M/yr.

The reason he gets a big raise, is because this will be his first nonarb season.

If we lose him, we will have to pay a lot to replace him, and I'm noit sure anyone gives us a better chance in 2015 than koji.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

I wish Ross were 1 year younger (as in he was still last year's guy), as I think he would be an excellent tutor for Vazquez or Swihart and he understands the role of backup.  I don't relish the idea of going into the season with 2 rookie catchers coupled with what very well could be a young pitching staff. 

Unfortunately, given his diminishing physical skills, I can't see him getting another year (and I'm not sure he wants one).

There should be enough salary space to find a back-up vet like Ross for 2015.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is why I think they are going to keep one of AJP or Ross next year.  People will complain, but you can't start 2 rookie catchers and with how slow catchers normally develop there is every reason to expect Swihart to spend all or most of next year in Pawtucket.  AJP might have the better bat, but I almost feel like Ross might be the better mentor, but then again supposedly AJP isn't the hated guy he's made out to be when he's on your team. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

This is why I think they are going to keep one of AJP or Ross next year.  People will complain, but you can't start 2 rookie catchers and with how slow catchers normally develop there is every reason to expect Swihart to spend all or most of next year in Pawtucket.  AJP might have the better bat, but I almost feel like Ross might be the better mentor, but then again supposedly AJP isn't the hated guy he's made out to be when he's on your team. 

Only way one of them isn't back is if AJ gets traded and Vazquez gets part of a season with the big club.  Even then, I want a veteran backup.

Is Crash Davis still managing in Visalia?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is why I think they are going to keep one of AJP or Ross next year. People will complain, but you can't start 2 rookie catchers and with how slow catchers normally develop there is every reason to expect Swihart to spend all or most of next year in Pawtucket. AJP might have the better bat, but I almost feel like Ross might be the better mentor, but then again supposedly AJP isn't the hated guy he's made out to be when he's on your team.

Here's the list of FA catchers from Cot's...

Catchers
    John Buck
    Ryan Doumit
    Nick Hundley *
    Gerald Laird
    Russell Martin
    Jeff Mathis *
    Wil Nieves
    Miguel Olivo
    Ronny Paulino
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross
    Geovany Soto
    Kurt Suzuki

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Uehara: I'd offer close to $26M/2 and do the same as with Lester.

Peavy: I'd look to trade him this year for the best we can get.

Drew: Probably untradeable, unless we chip in $$$. Do not re-sign for next year.

Pierzynski: Look to trade for a promising mid-level prospect. Do not re-sign.

Gomes: See what we can get... Do not re-sign.

Ross: Untradeable. Do not re-sign.

Badenhop: Should bring back a nice mid-level prospect. Doubtful re-sign.

Miller: Should bring back a nice prospect. Probably will not re-sign.

This list implies the Sox would be making somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 trades in July and August., which is EXTREMELY unlikely.  July is especially tough to make too many deals.  There just isn’t enough time, and too many GMs spend it talking to too many other GMs.  And some of these guys won’t really make a “buy / sell / status quo” decisions until the final week as the deadline approaches.  It’s too hectic of a time for anyone to pull off that many moves, which is why you never see it happen.

I do see Miller being moved, because there is an obvious destination in Anaheim.  In fact, usually there are a few teams looking for left-handed bullpen arms, but Anaheim is at the top of the list and been very vocal about it.  I don’t expect much, but they have pieces on the 25-man the Sox could use (JB Shuck, Hank Conger), or maybe a better way to say it is pieces I THINK the Sox could use.  More likely, the Sox get an A-ball or AA player who won’t excite anyone, given the sad state of the Angels farm system.

Peavy is a good candidate to go, because veteran starting pitching is also in demand.  He likely won’t go anywhere until Price and Samardjiza have been dealt and the teams still in need are scrambling.  Also, he will appeal to teams like the Yankees who need pitching, but just don’t have the prospects to get into the talks for the bigger names.  If Peavy is still on the team on August 1, his salary makes him a likely candidate to clear waivers, meaning a deal in August is possible.   His chances to get moved will increase if he actually pitches better.

Doubront might go  as well, because apparently there is a lot of interest.  Not sure if July leaves enough time to move both Doubront and Peavy, but of the two, Doubront is more likely to get dealt first.  Unlike Peavy, there is zero chance Doubront clears waivers, so it’s July 31 or finish in Boston for him.  Doubront’s control and abilities might make him attractive to teams not in contention this year, but whom have 2015 in their sites.  For example, I could see him going to someone like Tampa if they can put together a reasonable return. 

Pierzynski is not likely to get dealt in July.  The biggest issue is what team might want him, and the only two possibilities are Toronto and Baltimore, both of whom have makeshift catching staffs and post-season aspirations.   Baltimore is the better fit because AJP’s contract is done after this year, and they expect Wieters back in 2015.  But they probably feel Nick Hundley has satisfactorily filled their need for a stopgap backstop.  AJ will definitely clear waivers in August (or get claimed by Baltimore or Toronto) and might be dealt then, but the absolute best thing the Sox could hope for is some sort of failed top prospect they could try to straighten out and use in a lesser role.  Someone like Kyle Drabek might be the best case, and the Sox probably won’t even get best case here. 

Gomes isn’t going anywhere in July.  He will clear waivers in August, but is there a team out there that needs him?   Best bet might be Kansas City, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Badenhop should attract interest, given his contract and performance.  However, there probably won’t be enough time in July and he won’t clear waivers in August.  Expect him in Boston for the rest of the season, unless some team has their sights set on him before the deadline.

Drew definitely clears waivers, and by August is probably hitting a lot better.  However, most of the contending teams seem set at SS, and this will probably only change with an injury. The weakest team at SS among the contenders appears to be the Yankees, but there is absolutely no chance Drew is acquired to supplant Jeter during his final stretch run, unless there is an injury.  I don’t expect Drew to get moved without a lot of stars aligning.

I don’t expect any of Lester, Lackey or Uehara to be shopped.  Sure, the Sox will receive a few calls on them, but they are not going anywhere this off-season.  Lackey has another year left, and if they are not extended, both Lester and Uehara should receive Qualifying Offers.  Yes, Uehara should get one.

The most likely name from the minors I expect to see dealt is Christian Vazquez, because apparently he is their most sought after prospect on rival wish lists, ahead of Betts and Owens.  If the Sox go into a buying mode, he is probably gone.  (And why I added Hank Conger to the hopeful return from Anaheim, though I really, really doubt it happens.)  If the Sox do deal Vazquez and don’t get another MLB catcher elsewhere, then AJP is definitely not going anywhere in August.

So, to sum up.  Miller will be gone and should think about calling realtors in Southern California.  Peavy and/or Doubront are potential departures.  Vazquez maybe, but smaller chance that the others.  The rest will probably finish the year in Boston…

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don’t expect any of Lester, Lackey or Uehara to be shopped. Sure, the Sox will receive a few calls on them, but they are not going anywhere this off-season. Lackey has another year left, and if they are not extended, both Lester and Uehara should receive Qualifying Offers. Yes, Uehara should get one.

Why not get more than a draft pick in the 30's for these two, if and only if, we know we will not extend tahem?

The most likely name from the minors I expect to see dealt is Christian Vazquez, because apparently he is their most sought after prospect on rival wish lists, ahead of Betts and Owens.

I don;t see any free agent catchers I want next year, so I think Vazquez is one our most needed prospects, but maybe if your Gattis deal comes through...

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Badenhop should attract interest, given his contract and performance. However, there probably won’t be enough time in July and he won’t clear waivers in August. Expect him in Boston for the rest of the season, unless some team has their sights set on him before the deadline.

Teams are always looking for RP'ers. There will be offers for Badenhop, and since he's gone after this year, take the best prospect offered.

I don't get the "no time" comment.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interesting Free Agents for 2015 at Positions of Red Sox Need:

(*club option)

SS: 

Mike Aviles *
    Asdrubal Cabrera
    Yunel Escobar *
    Alex Gonzalez
    J.J. Hardy
    Jed Lowrie
    John McDonald
    Hiroyuki Nakajima *
    Jimmy Rollins * 

3B:

Wilson Betemit
    Alberto Callaspo
    Eric Chavez
    Jack Hannahan *
    Chase Headley
    Casey McGehee
    Donnie Murphy
    Nick Punto *
    Aramis Ramirez *
    Hanley Ramirez
    Pablo Sandoval
    Ty Wigginton
    Kevin Youkilis

Catchers:

John Buck
    Ryan Doumit
    Nick Hundley *
    Gerald Laird
    Russell Martin
    Jeff Mathis *
    Wil Nieves
    Miguel Olivo
    Ronny Paulino
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross
    Geovany Soto
    Kurt Suzuki

OF:

Norichika Aoki
    Emilio Bonifacio
    Melky Cabrera
    Nelson Cruz
    Michael Cuddyer
    Rajai Davis
    Chris Denorfia
    Jeff Francoeur
    Jonny Gomes
    Franklin Gutierrez
    Tony Gwynn Jr.
    Scott Hairston
    Torii Hunter
    Raul Ibanez
    Reed Johnson
    Ryan Lukwick *
    Nick Markakis *
    Darnell McDonald
    Mike Morse
    Colby Rasmus
    Alex Rios *
    Nate Schierholtz
    Grady Sizemore
    Seth Smith
    Alfonso Soriano
    Denard Span *
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Ryan Sweeney
    Vernon Wells
    Josh Willingham
    Chris Young
    Delmon Young

SP:

Brett Anderson *
    Josh Beckett
    Chad Billingsley *
    Joe Blanton *
    A.J. Burnett *
    Chris Capuano
    Bruce Chen *
    Wei-Yin Chen *
    Kevin Correia
    Johnny Cueto *
    Jorge De La Rosa
    Ryan Dempster
    Scott Feldman
    Gavin Floyd
    Yovani Gallardo *
    Jason Hammel
    J.A. Happ *
    Aaron Harang
    Dan Haren *
    Roberto Hernandez
    Luke Hochevar
    Hisashi Iwakuma
    Josh Johnson
    Kyle Kendrick
    Hiroki Kuroda
    John Lannan
    Colby Lewis
    Jon Lester
    Paul Maholm
    Justin Masterson
    Brandon McCarthy
    Brandon Morrow *
    Jeff Niemann
    Ross Ohlendorf
    Felipe Paulino *
    Jake Peavy
    Wandy Rodriguez
    Max Scherzer
    James Shields
    Carlos Villanueva
    Ryan Vogelsong
    Edinson Volquez
    Jerome Williams

RP:

David Aardsma
    Mike Adams *
    Matt Albers *
    Burke Badenhop
    Ronald Belisario
    Matt Belisle
    Heath Bell
    Craig Breslow *
    Sean Burnett *
    Jared Burton *
    Tim Byrdak
    Joba Chamberlain
    Phil Coke
    Manny Corpas
    Jesse Crain
    Scott Downs *
    Kyle Farnsworth
    Jason Frasor
    Kyuji Fujikawa *
    Tom Gorzelanny
    Luke Gregerson
    Jason Grilli
    LaTroy Hawkins *
    J.P. Howell
    Casey Janssen
    Jim Johnson
    Matt Lindstrom
    Brandon Lyon
    Carlos Marmol
    Dustin McGowan *
    Jose Mijares
    Andrew Miller
    Franklin Morales
    Jason Motte
    Peter Moylan
    Pat Neshek
    Darren O’Day *
    Juan Carlos Oviedo
    Vicente Padilla
    Chris Perez
    J.J. Putz
    David Robertson
    Francisco Rodriguez
    Sergio Romo
    Joakim Soria *
    Rafael Soriano *
    Huston Street *
    Joe Thatcher
    Koji Uehara
    Jose Veras *
    Brian Wilson *
    Jamey Wright

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Badenhop should attract interest, given his contract and performance. However, there probably won’t be enough time in July and he won’t clear waivers in August. Expect him in Boston for the rest of the season, unless some team has their sights set on him before the deadline.

Teams are always looking for RP'ers. There will be offers for Badenhop, and since he's gone after this year, take the best prospect offered.

Sox4ever

They aren't going to make more than 2 or 3 deals in July.  Tops.  Badenhop won't clear waivers.

Fans who want "cleaning house" are going to be screaming on August 1 when most of these guys are still here.   Watch for it.  But the other 29 GMS are all frantically calling each other, etc.  And all this will really happen within a few days of that last week in July.

It makes sense to move Badenhop, but it makes sense to move a lot of guys.  and because he won't get traded in August, Badenhop probably goes nowhere...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

They aren't going to make more than 2 or 3 deals in July.  Tops.  Badenhop won't clear waivers.

Fans who want "cleaning house" are going to be screaming on August 1 when most of these guys are still here.   Watch for it.  But the other 29 GMS are all frantically calling each other, etc.  And all this will really happen within a few days of that last week in July.

It makes sense to move Badenhop, but it makes sense to move a lot of guys.  and because he won't get traded in August, Badenhop probably goes nowhere...

I rarely disagree with you, but I am near certain that Peavy, Miller and Badenhop all get traded by July 31st.

I would seriously look to trade Gomes, AJ P and Drew by adding some cash towards what they are owed, but realize there may be no takers, even if all we get in return are low level prospects with a tiny hope of a miracle. Why not?

I doubt we trade Lester or Uehara, but I think we should, if extending them seems near impossible.

I know there is very little history of any team trading away 5 or more free agents-to-be players at the deadline, especially a team not overly concerned with saving money, but our GM did deal away 4 to one team just 2 short years ago.

Lester: Look to extend or get within a range of understanding or trade him for a team's top 3 prospect or 2-3 of their top 15 prospects.

Uehara: Look to extend or get within a range of understanding or trade him for a team's top 5 prospect or two in their top 15 or so.

Miller: He has the 10th best RP WAR this year (out of 160 qualifying RP'ers). He a lefty that has high value to several contending teams. Left-handed hitting opponents hit just .156 off Miller (0.79 WHIP). We should get a very nice prospect for Andrew.

Badenhop: He is one of just 15 RP'ers with over 40 IP this year. His +0.6 WAR is very good for a RP at the halfway point of a season. Only 31 RP'ers have a higher WAR so far this year. We can get a nice prospect for Burke.

Peavy: I'm not sure if any team values him enough to give up a decent prospect, but just take the best we can get and move on. He's 89 in SP WAR out of 106 with 80+ IP.  He's 1008th out of 141 SP'ers with 50+ IP which places him at about a middle value 4th SP'er based on the MLB scale by WAR. His 1.46 WHIP is one the league's worst among SP'ers within his IP range this year. I'm doubtful we get much, if anything for Jake, but if we pay most of his contract, maybe we can get a hope and a prayer.

Gomes: He has an .870 OPS vs LHPs and a history of being a plus in the clubhouse. Only one MLB player has more PAs and a higher OPS vs LHPs than Gomes (Ellsbury .872 to .870). There is value here to some team out there. Maybe we pay part of his contract, but we should be able to get a mid level prospect with some hopes for Jonny.

AJ P: He has one of the worst catcher WARs and OPS in MLB so far this year, but some team may offer us a low prospect for him and some cash.

Drew: We'd probably have to pay almost all of his remaining contract to even get an offer, but I'd try anyways.

Ross: Doubtful anyone wants Ross, and if we trade AJ P, Ross would be a nice tutor for Vazquez or Butler (or Lava).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't think Badenhop is a tough move, I just think they aren't going to make more than 2 or 3 trades by the deadline at most.  So, if they only trade 2 guys, which 2 do you think? 

The only team that might want AJP is Toronto.  And they need SP more.  Maybe in August.  Gomes, I suggested KC.  Again, maybe but not likely. 

I don't think we move too many guys, and I don't see it as a major problem.  I'd rather move the 2 or 3 expendable guys that get something good back than dump for the sake of dumping.

Fans who want a major housecleaning are the ones least likely to be able to handle it.  They can't go one season without a winner, and suddenly they want to go on a 10 year rebuilding program?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd don't know about "those fans", but I want us to be highly competitive next year and 2016 and beyond.

I realize dumping a few of these guys is not likely to give us a boost, but any glimmering hope in a prospect is better than a couple more months of AJ P, Gomes and Drew.

I am not saying you are wrong about what will happen. In fact, I'll be surprised (pleasantly) if we do trade 3+ guys (Peavy, Miller and Badenhop and Lester or Uehara, if we know they won't be back), but my position is we can do it if we want. We should do it with the big 3 to 5, if we want a better outlook next year and beyond.

To me, it's not about a 2 or 3 year plan vs a 10 year plan, it's about knowing when a season is over and getting the most out of it for the next year and beyond. Why keep anyone who won't be here next year as long as they can get someone back in return that shows any kind of promise.

I know that is over simplifying the situation. I know GMs get frantic during the last minutes of the trade deadline, but if there are GMs who want some of our free agents to be, and are willing to give us something useful, we need to pull the triggers.

Again, I would not trade Lester or Uehara, unless we are nearly certain we will not offer what they want to keep them here next year or longer.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Moon-

Wow, quite an effort, even for your standards. Perhaps BC could use U as an advisor; in all seriousness.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Why move BadHop? Ue, Taz, BadHop, Miller--have been decent to sensational for the first 80 games.

Breslow, Cappy, Mujica and now Doubront:  Cappy's gone- Doubie took his place. Doubie will bring back a decent prospect----if you want to let him go. Miller--would bring back a better prospect if you let lim go. Brelow maybe for cash considerations at best but a contender would try him on.

You have three lefty relievers at AAA----Layne, Hill and Britton.

You have a few RH options-----------RDLR, Wilson, Webster, Ranaudo, Ely.

Maybe Gomes could get a marginal A prospect, Nava might get someone a little better. Once again you have Carp at AAA that will need to join the Sox this week--Betts goes like RDLR went.

Bottom line, we have better prospects than we will get in return for Breslow, Gomes and Peavy---we could make out better with PTBNL after the season ends or cash considerations.

Sections
Shortcuts