The 4.5 game lead

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: The 4.5 game lead

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

can we end the drew experiment now and let iggy play short and move middlebrooks to 3b...we simply cant afford to have a corner infielder be a punch and judy hitter

i dont care if he hits .180 as long as he has some big hits and produces some runs....Pedey batting third is desperation

As always - 100% correct!

Iggy had an important ribbie just the other day.... he is the correct choice to be the full-time short-stop.

[/QUOTE]

i agree - we need to beef up our power and get an arm - and if we have no intention of trading our youngsters, then move middlebrooks or bogarts up NOW....Drew playing everyday was a joke in April and it is a joke now...he was a mistake signing and no one wants him thus no reason to "showcase" him for a trade....he wont get us anyone decent, especially our two position needs...he's a good backup at this point and gone after game 162....Move Pedey to his natural 2nd position...

Ells

Pedey

Papi

Napoli

Middie

Nava

Salty

Shane V

Iggy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The more I think about it the more I don't like trading for a starting pitcher.  There really aren't any real aces available and I'd rather take my chances with the youngsters.  I'm not sure if WMB is ready to come back up but if he could hit in a MLB lineup now put him at third and put Iggyback at short.  I'm pretty confident that at the very very least Middlebrooks can give us what Drew is giving us.  But the defense will definitely be better and the offense could get bettere.  If Xander can hit MLB pitching then maybe it's time to put him in left field.  I'm not saying he will play there indefinitely but maybe that's how he breaks into the majors.

Ellsbury

Victorino

Pedrioa 

Ortiz

Napoli

Bogaerts 

Saty

Middlebrooks

Iglesias.

Not only do I like that lineup but I think it's a lineup that will get better over the rest of he season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

yea but we just dropped 2 out of 3 to them and they are back on Monday.  How do you know they can't last?  They just pounced on the Yankees and took over first place.

The Rays have been on an uncanny run.  With any run like that, there is a fair amount of good luck involved.

I know that most posters don't want to hear about 'luck' or randomness, but the fact is, it is a big part of baseball games.  "Good luck" is also something that can't be sustained.  This is why you don't see teams winning or losing 100+ games in a season very often.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to AL34's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lead is Gone baby gone ! Young Ben better not get fooled and make a deal. As we say in the military, Young Ben had better get activated real soon and get back into the war. Its his neck, this team needs help in the way of hitting and a pitcher. Dont't get fooled and think thay Daniel Nava is anything more than a backup outfielder and John Lackey is going to continue his metamorphasis. Nava looks over matched at the plate now. 

As you look "overmatched" on this forum, as always.  Good to see our "military" has morphed into a bunch of whiners, though. 

[/QUOTE]

Not looking good to sit pat and do nothing. Hey brave guy try serving a combat tour of 13 months in Iraq. I bet you do not have the back bone to do it,

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was smart enough to be able to go to college, but my friends who weren't, and actually had to go into the military to get an education for many different reasons, NEVER brag about it.  

[/QUOTE]

Dckhead post of the day there

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Yaz's comment:

In response to Javi60's comment:

when Sox went to the west tour prior to the AS brake... It vanished in the Long Hot Summer already here... Well, we shall always remember the 20-8 wonderful start or the June Sprint...oh if season would have ended July 4th... Regretfully it is a six months affair...future in the Farm so Wait till next year or better 2015... ( to think that when night is over, sox will be just a half game back)... Pessimistic, no, realistic yes... 

I agree. The Red Sox have shown in the past --for the most part--they are not a second-half team. I understand[ realistically] this year was probably a 82-85 win season. So, so far, it has been an overachieving surprise. With that said, you can see when facing the Rays and Orioles--now--how overmatched they are. Sad to see how fast they slide.

The real story is that the Ray haven't lost at all this month. Unfornately for them it can't last and they won't add at the dead line. The good thing for the Sox they get to play the Mariners soon.

The real story is that we simply don't have the pitching to compete with the Rays. And we can't beat the Orioles. Gonna be tough to make the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

Do you really think the Rays are going to continue at this rate?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You know why the Rays have such good pitching? Because it's homegrown! Because they spent years developing and drafting them and DIDN'T trade them away!  Imagine if they had ownership who was willing to spend up to the luxury tax.

If only we could ever have an oppirtunity like that.......sigh

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

yea but we just dropped 2 out of 3 to them and they are back on Monday.  How do you know they can't last?  They just pounced on the Yankees and took over first place.

The Rays have been on an uncanny run.  With any run like that, there is a fair amount of good luck involved.

I know that most posters don't want to hear about 'luck' or randomness, but the fact is, it is a big part of baseball games.  "Good luck" is also something that can't be sustained.  This is why you don't see teams winning or losing 100+ games in a season very often.

Of course the Rays aren't going to play .900 baseball the rest of the way. But they have the starting pitching to play at least .600 ball. Do we? Not unless Clay Breakholtz decides he feels like pitching again. And it would be a mistake to give up any significant prospects this year and go "all out" trying to win a ring with the group we have. IMO its best to try to get a good bullpen arm and see where that takes us. Without Breakholtz we won't go far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Rays have had the benefit of an extremely easy stretch of opponents since the end of June. most below 500. 6 series with teams below .500, and one above. That got them on a nice run and yes, a little luck on their side. It wont last. lets see how they do when they go on their westcoast trip. They have a few game out west in early August, then they start a 10 game WC trip starting 8/30. Long way til its over kids.

Need the pitching to step up. Buchholz needs to get back. The bats will be fine.

Oh, for those that want Iggy at SS, do you think Middy makes that great catch Iggy did? I dont think so. Although I realize its not Iggys regular position, were better defensively with Iggy at 3b and Drew at SS. Thats just the way it is right now. Middy has started to do a little better in AAA, but right now he doesnt make this team better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[/QUOTE]

The real story is that we simply don't have the pitching to compete with the Rays. And we can't beat the Orioles. Gonna be tough to make the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

The real story is ... we give up way too often and way too fast.

The Rays are good, no question.  The pitching has been strong for years.  But giving up on the Sox because of that is simply defeatism.

The O's are also playing well.  Who thought they wouldn't.

One thing NO ONE thought would happen is what Boston has done so far this season.  That IS the real story.  In a tough division, it has lead from May 27 until last night.  How unrealistic is that?

My point? 

If there is an expectation busting group, it is the Sox.  Why give up or be so very "realistic" and mention the obvious?  It only took 105 games or so out of 162 to fall out of the lead ... (I know, we weren't in the lead to start) and to think we have a group that suddenly will now collapse is a slap in the face of the gritty guys who have shocked the baseball world. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Most of young prospects fail... Lets do some gambling ( was not Hanley for Beckett and Lowell a gamble?) ... Keep untouched just three, trade the rest and get solid established pitcher and everyday hitter, for this and next years... gosh!... We r only a half game out of first place!... Trade, trade trade, but trade wisely... And put in some cash too, John....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

can we end the drew experiment now and let iggy play short and move middlebrooks to 3b...we simply cant afford to have a corner infielder be a punch and judy hitter

i dont care if he hits .180 as long as he has some big hits and produces some runs....Pedey batting third is desperation

Iggy had an important ribbie just the other day.... he is the correct choice to be the full-time short-stop.

[/QUOTE]

and that's what it is all about, the rbi's.  People can throw all sorts of stats to pump up their favorite players, but RBI's win games. 

[/QUOTE]

yes, driving in runs is important, but that doesnt change the fact that he has an OPS under .500 for July. Whereas papi has an OPS just under 1.000 for July. Iggy has only walked 2 times this month as well. a couple RBI is nice one night, but overall hes coming crashing back to earth at an alarming rate. Thats a lot of offense that needs to be made up for in the last 2 months.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

and that's what it is all about, the rbi's.  People can throw all sorts of stats to pump up their favorite players, but RBI's win games. 

yes, driving in runs is important, but that doesnt change the fact that he has an OPS under .500 for July. Whereas papi has an OPS just under 1.000 for July. Iggy has only walked 2 times this month as well. a couple RBI is nice one night, but overall hes coming crashing back to earth at an alarming rate. Thats a lot of offense that needs to be made up for in the last 2 months.

I am not knocking what Ortiz has or hasn't done for the season.  I am simply pointing out that our 9th hitter iggy has five rbi's in the last 11 games where our clean up hitter has none.  I hope this statistic changes tonight.

IMO RBIs are way down the list of important measures of offensive production, below OPS, OPS+, OBP, SLG, HRs, and BA. In order to have an RBI someone generally has to be in scoring position, and that is a matter that is not in control of the offensive player. All of the other stats I mentioned ARE in total control of the offensive player, so they measure more directly his production.