The agonies of Josh Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

The agonies of Josh Hamilton

Added to Hamilton's daily battle with addiction is the knowledge that he had a hand in a horrific tradgedy. Hamilton tossed a foul ball into the stands, and the fan trying to catch it fell to his death.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110707&content_id=21564000&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Life has a way of adding burdens to an already heavy load, may Josh find the inner peace he desires, and may the family find comfort.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: The agonies of Josh Hamilton

In Response to The agonies of Josh Hamilton:
     Added to Hamilton's daily battle with addiction is the knowledge that he had a hand in a horrific tradgedy. Hamilton tossed a foul ball into the stands, and the fan trying to catch it fell to his death. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110707&content_id=21564000&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb  Life has a way of adding burdens to an already heavy load, may Josh find the inner peace he desires, and may the family find comfort.  
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

How awful.  One replay I hope I never see. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I feel so bad for Josh..Not like it was his fault, but i cant help thinking that hes taking some of the blame..Some fans are nuts when going for a ball. Im really surprised we havent seen it more..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: The agonies of Josh Hamilton:
    In Response to The agonies of Josh Hamilton : How awful.  One replay I hope I never see. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

Stay away from CNN, they're showing it, the guy falls as his son watches.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Stay away from CNN, they're showing it, the guy falls as his son watches."

Yeah, I just saw it online.  Very sad, especially since the guy's little boy is standing right next to him watching the whole thing.  That's a tough thing to get over.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What a horroble tragedy! Losing one's life over a stupid baseball. I'm sure you will see no more baseballs thrown into the stands by players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Added to Hamilton's daily battle with addiction is the knowledge that he had a hand in a horrific tradgedy. Hamilton tossed a foul ball into the stands, and the fan trying to catch it fell to his death. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110707&content_id=21564000&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb  Life has a way of adding burdens to an already heavy load, may Josh find the inner peace he desires, and may the family find comfort.  
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

Agree that this was really an awful tragedy.  Lets hope that players never toss balls into the stands again. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Posted by YOUKILLUS20

Among the first things I thought of was his mental state ...  

hope he handles it as well as possible.

I don't have any approproate words for the little son ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

NOW, THE  P C POLICE WILL STOP THE PRACTICE OF FLIPPING THE BALL IN THE STANDS !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Morning all, man, that was so awful..feel so bad for his kid and condolences to his family, i really hope the Rangers encourage Hamilton to talk to someone, that can't possibly have been easy for him...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Morning Jete, nice post.  Just terrible stuff, and hard to avoid catching on the news.  I've never seen Nolan Ryan so distraught.  Hope everyone who was involved gets to have some peace soon.

For what it's worth, I'm pulling for DJ bigtime.  My whole family are Sox fans, but each of us is hoping he gets this milestone in NY tonight or tomorrow night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Morning Jete, nice post.  Just terrible stuff, and hard to avoid catching on the news.  I've never seen Nolan Ryan so distraught.  Hope everyone who was involved gets to have some peace soon. For what it's worth, I'm pulling for DJ bigtime.  My whole family are Sox fans, but each of us is hoping he gets this milestone in NY tonight or tomorrow night.
    Posted by soups
    hey Soups, what's doin bud?...i've been turning off any channel or clip that shows it...just can't do it knowing his son is standing there. i hope it's tonight, i feel a  3 hit night coming...more imprtantly though, i hope the Yanks get a W tonight..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

how about handing the ball to a kid..face to face..instead of just flipping it into the stands...baseball isn't to old to grow up....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'vev managed to avoid it and I hope I don't get to see it. 

I see the logical outcome of this being that MLB will require a railing at the appropriate height to prevent this in the future at all parks.

It does bring to mind a question I've had recently regarding Fenway though.  While it appears that the tables in front of the first row of Monster seats would make it difficult for a person to fall from there, is there anything to keep this from happening at the EMC  or Pavilion levels?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I truly hope Hamilton handles this OK. Clearly it wasn't his fault ... he was being a good guy and tossing a ball to a man who had a kid. Only it ended it tragedy.

It would be natural for Josh to feel some guilt, but he shouldn't. In no way was that his fault.

I like the idea of players flipping balls into the stands. But fans have to be smart and not risk their lives for a baseball. (Not that I'm criticizing the fan in question ...  I have not, and hopefully never will, seen the replay).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Granite2000. Show Granite2000's posts

Truly awful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

What a terrible tragedy.  I had tears in my eyes reading this story.  My heart goes out to the man's son and family, and to Josh Hamilton.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What a terrible tragedy.  I had tears in my eyes reading this story.  My heart goes out to the man's son and family, and to Josh Hamilton.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Terrible; and considering Hamilton's frail constitution, this could be really tough for him; it would be tough with somebody's who's strong, let alone him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Oaklands reliever Brad Ziegler, was in tears when he found out he had died. The visitors bullpen is in left center field. He said they assumed he would be ok, as he was talking and conscious.  he said "please check on my son. my son is up there by himself." He was only 39, a firefighter for 18 years. 

With some of the hateful posts I've seen here lately, another reminder baseball is just a game, not life and death.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

This is horrible for every party involved. :(

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: The agonies of Josh Hamilton : Terrible; and considering Hamilton's frail constitution, this could be really tough for him; it would be tough with somebody's who's strong, let alone him.
    Posted by nhsteven

I'm currently reading "Heart of the Game"  (finally getting around to it), the story about the minor league coach who died after being hit in the head by a foul ball.  I haven't gotten that far yet, but I can't imagine how Tino Sanchez, the guy who hit the foul ball must have been feeling then, and how he will probably always on some level have a hard time dealing with.

I've been pulling for Hamilton since he beat his demons and returned to the game.  Again, my heart goes out to him and to the man's family.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

I agree. I went to the Sox game yesterday, and before the train came to take me to Kenmore, I accidentally tossed a ball I was hoping to get autographed by Adrian Gonzalez or Dustin Pedroia onto the tracks. I wanted to go get it (and it turned out that, had I ran onto the tracks to get it right away, I would have gotten the ball well before the train arrived) but no one I was with would let me get it. It turns out that I was too late to get autographs anyways (the Red Sox had finished batting practice and the O's were doing batting practice) so it proves that it's not worth risking your life for a baseball.
     I feel so bad for Hamilton. He must be thinking "Aw, crud. First I'm a drug addict and then I kill someone by tossing them a freaking foul ball? Life is crap." For him to go through all of that and then dispose of someone's life by tossing a foul ball 5 inches too high must absolutely stink.
     Verdict: Hamilton is blessed with amazing talent and cursed with horrible habits and luck.

Sections
Shortcuts