The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7

In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 :  Kim, I'm really surprised at you. You so succinctly state the trespasses of Yankee fans, but miss AtticaClub's slanders against RedSox fans. He get's a bad rap? He lies. He lies and lies some more. When proven wrong he fades faster than a flower. This is a 68 year old man, he ought to know better. His logic says that because I live in Virginia, I'm an Orioles fan, if that's true, he lives in New York, which makes him a Yankee fan. Please, you claimed honesty and integrity in another post, call a spade a spade.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

This is due to the fact that she largely bases her assessment of posters on her perceived fan bent. If a supposed RS fan makes a major transgression, that's OK. With the Yankee posters, just about anything (sometimes nonsensical, or minor, or sometimes quasi-justifiably), gets demonized, often in some twisted phantasmagorical fashion. If, supoosedly a RS fan doesn't agree with her accusations, they get ostracized as well, often via a thought police flavored spew that implies hidden Yankee loyalty.

I'll give her credit, though, for displaying good quotes from writers and statespersons. IMO there's a good noodle hidden behind that Yankee hating muck. 

No thesaurus or dictionary was used in the making of this post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I've changed my mind on labeling Youkillus as an Oriole fan. It was based on a few things more than where he lived. It is impossible to search the archives so there is no need to reconstruct what caused me to question his fandom. There are many posters that are beyond reproach while others like to keep you guessing. I guess that creating that uncertainty is good for the forum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I've changed my mind on labeling Youkillus as an Oriole fan. It was based on a few things more than where he lived. It is impossible to search the archives so there is no need to reconstruct what caused me to question his fandom. There are many posters that are beyond reproach while others like to keep you guessing. I guess that creating that uncertainty is good for the forum.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Well, then, maybe you should slow down your rhetoric so you don't end up in a position to backtrack. Of course, people are allowed to change their minds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Getting back on cue. 

I'm 57; as a kid, I wanted (but didn't get) the Rawlings YAZ Triple Crown glove. (The one that printed his numbers that yr at the heel.) Even in Brooklyn, that was THE most popular glove at the time (Including the Mantle gloves), and, it was actually pretty good, with an elaborately designed pocket. (Here's guessing it's now a collectors item).

A year or so later ('70, the year the Conigliaro Bros shared the OF for Bos; it was a shame what happened to Tony, who won the HR crown at age 20, a record), I went to a Yankee game, and Yaz hit a HR; there was a lot of cheering, from two types of fans; Sox fans, and Yankee fans that were also Yaz fans (Of course, some probably had that glove).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Yaz was ready to sign with the Yankees but his father told him to wait for a higher bonus. Tom Yawkey obliged. Yaz grew up in Yankee territory ( Long Island) as did Rico Petrocelli (Brooklyn).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Yaz was ready to sign with the Yankees but his father told him to wait for a higher bonus. Tom Yawkey obliged. Yaz grew up in Yankee territory ( Long Island) as did Rico Petrocelli (Brooklyn).

Yes, that's been well documented. Yaz grew up on a potato farm on (or near) the LI forks. Rico's brother was also a YS cop, who was shown on WPIX TV from time to time.

Yankee scouts were notorious for stiffing great prospects. They used the sell line "You get to play for the Yankees". Mantle signed for an $1100 bonus, despite the claim by the scout (Greenwade) that he was the best prospect he ever saw.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]Getting back on cue.  I'm 57; as a kid, I wanted (but didn't get) the Rawlings YAZ Triple Crown glove. (The one that printed his numbers that yr at the heel.) Even in Brooklyn, that was THE most popular glove at the time (Including the Mantle gloves), and, it was actually pretty good, with an elaborately designed pocket. (Here's guessing it's now a collectors item). A year or so later ('70, the year the Conigliaro Bros shared the OF for Bos; it was a shame what happened to Tony, who won the HR crown at age 20, a record), I went to a Yankee game, and Yaz hit a HR; there was a lot of cheering, from two types of fans; Sox fans, and Yankee fans that were also Yaz fans (Of course, some probably had that glove).
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing because Yaz won the triple crown in 1967 you were probably 11 years old in 1968 when the Yaz glove was the most popular, MM retired in 1969.

When I was a kid Mickey Mantle gloves were the most popular. Mickey won the triple crown in 1956. I still have my MM Rawlings glove from boyhood somewhere here in the house.

When I was growing up the endless argument was who was the better player Mantle, Mays or Duke Snider, all three in the HOF today. Those were some great days. Of course Ted W. was on the last days of his career.

Still remember as a boy my neighbor from across the street Mr. O'Connor a Massachusetts native walking over to tell me that he had just watched Ted hit a homerun in his last game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : I'm guessing because Yaz won the triple crown in 1967 you were probably 11 years old in 1968 when the Yaz glove was the most popular, MM retired in 1969. When I was a kid Mickey Mantle gloves were the most popular. Mickey won the triple crown in 1956. I still have my MM Rawlings glove from boyhood somewhere here in the house. When I was growing up the endless argument was who was the better player Mantle, Mays or Duke Snider, all three in the HOF today. Those were some great days. Of course Ted W. was on the last days of his career. Still remember as a boy my neighbor from across the street Mr. O'Connor a Massachusetts neighbor walking over to tell me that he had just watched Ted hit a homerun in his last game.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering what you can get for it on E-Bay, not that you would ever sell it.

As far as TW's last AB, I'm sure you've read the John Updike account. (My admittedly dumb 2nd forum movie script was to based on that HR LOL; I stopped after the outline and 1st installment, and you probably don't know the sequence of events; just thought I'd throw that silly tidbit in there)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : I'm wondering what you can get for it on E-Bay, not that you would ever sell it. As far as the TW story, I'm sure you've read the John Updike account. (My forum movie script was to based on that HR LOL; I never wrote it, and you probably don't know the sequence of events; just thought I'd throw that silly tidbit in there)

Probably not worth much, it's pretty beat-up. I had Topps baseball cards of all the 50-60s Yankees which I pasted into a hugh scrapbook rendering them worthless today.

They would be all worth a fortune if I had not glued to the pages of the scrap book..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : Probably not worth much, it's pretty beat-up. I had Topps baseball cards of all the 50-60s Yankees which I pasted into a hugh scrapbook rendering them worthless today. They would be all worth a fortune if I had not glued to the pages of the scrap book..

They might still be worth something, just discounted due to the condition, assuming they can be carefully peeled off using some kind of solution; like Buffalo nickels and Liberty Standing Quarters where the date was restored using nickedate; they still had some value.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I know people whose mothers threw their 1950s baseball card into the garbage while cleaning out the basement. Others played that pitching cards game on the sidewalk and others ruined their cards against the spokes of their bicycle in their youth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : They might still be worth something, just discounted due to the condition, assuming they can be carefully peeled off using some kind of solution; like Buffalo nickels and Liberty Standing Quarters where the date was restored using nickedate; they still had some value.

It's in my parents attic, a few years back when she was alive my mother found the scrapbook and inquired around to it's value, she's since passed the old man's days are numbered I'm guessing I'll be retrieving that stuff which I haven't seen since boyhood within the next year when the old man passes on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]I know people whose mothers threw their 1950s baseball card into the garbage while cleaning out the basement. Others played that pitching cards game on the sidewalk and others ruined their cards against the spokes of their bicycle in their youth.

I remember like it's yesterday as a boy trading baseball cards out in front of school and one of the kids had a few Mickey Mantle rookie cards he wanted to trade.

I'm sure I had at least one but like you say, we'd lose interest in them and then clothepin them to the fender supports of our bikes so the bike would sound like a motorcycle with the cards against the spokes. Too funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : I remember like it's yesterday as a boy trading baseball cards out in front of school and one of the kids had a few Mickey Mantle rookie cards he wanted to trade. I'm sure I had at least one but like you say, we'd lose interest in them and then clothepin them to the fender supports of our bikes so the bike would sound like a motorcycle with the cards against the spokes. Too funny.

That was popular. Ever play scrape the wall with the cards? Also, loved that bubble gum. (Can I still get that gum?)

After the '61 season, someone duped me into trading my Mantle and Maris cards for a Ruth card (I never heard of him), who, was, according to him, "Better than both of them put together". Alas, It was not Ruth, but a picture of an ugly, demonic looking old guy in a suit apparently testifying before Congress (back when it was all WASP and Male, like symphony orchestras then); it was probably J. Edgar Hoover.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : That was popular. Ever play scrape the wall with the cards? Also, loved that bubble gum. (Can I still get that gum?) After the '61 season, someone duped me into trading my Mantle and Maris cards for a Ruth card (I never heard of him), who, was, according to him,   "Better than both of them put together" . Alas, It was not Ruth, but a picture of an ugly, demonic looking old guy in a suit apparently testifying before Congress (back when it was all WASP and Male); it was probably J. Edgar Hoover.

When I was a kid the slice of gum included in the pack of Topps baseball cards was the same size/width as the cards.

The dentists loved that gum too in the days before fluoridated water.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7:
    [QUOTE]I would like to welcome UticaClub a 1,000,000th opportunity to finally entertain us with some passionate baseball stories from his childhood, or even some fond memories from recent years.  We are all concerned for Uticas well being as he spends so much time on the forum dissing others and routinely targeting posters X Y Z.  I think it would be a welcome relief to all, and especially him if he could just chill out and talk about some great experiences as a lifelong Red Sox fan. How about tell us a story or two about some fine lifetime baseball experiences? What do you say big lug? O genuine fan.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]NICE POST ......  I HEARD THAT UTICA'S 4 YEARS IN T-BALL, WAS THE BEST 4 YEARS OF HIS BASEBALL LIFE !!Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]My grandfather first brought me to Fenway Park in the summer of 1957. We and my uncle sat in the lower rightfield stands and saw Jackie Jensen in front of us playing RF, Jimmy Piersall in CF, and Ted Williams in LF. I believe that Tommy Brewer or Frank Sullivan was pitching. Sammy White was catching. As a 14 yr. old I was ecstatic to see Fenway for the first time. We saw games the next two days with Bob Porterfield and Ike Delock on the mound. No HRs by Ted but several doubles. The Red Sox has decent teams during the late fifties but the Yanks were in a league of their own. I chose to attend Boston Univ. four years later and that was partly decided by my being an avid Red Sox fan. I lived in a dormitory on Bay State Rd. where I could see the light towers of Fenway from my window.  We would study until the 6th inning and then walk through Kenmore Square and arrive at the bleacher gate ten minutes later. Admission was free after the 6th inning. We could not afford the $1 price to get a bleacher seat for the entire game and also had to study anyway. In the early 1960s the team was terrible. Bill Monbouquette, Dick Stuart, Roman Mejias, Eddie Bressoud, etc. It didn't matter that much since we were die-hard Sox fans. Crowds were very small. It all turned around in 1967 with Dick Williams and the "Miracle Team". The hottest ticket in town then ( early 60s)were Celtics and Bruins tickets. The Boston Patriots played at Fenway ( Babe Parilli? was their QB ). I came back occasionally from Upstate NY to watch them in 1967 and 1975. Saw them hit eight HRs in one game when George Scott played. Later saw Fred Lynn and Jim Rice play. I was there the day that Yaz covered the plate with dirt after the umpire called a third strike on him and was thrown out. I have the Yaz farewell ceremonies on videotape. I was broken-hearted when Hawk Harrelson was traded away. We got Ch. 38 (Red Sox Superstation) on cable sometime in the late 1970s and I was overjoyed that I no longer had to listen through static at nighttime while listening to WTIC Hartford ( especially if there were thunderstorms anywhere in NY or Conn.). I have a baseball signed by all the players on the 1957 team, bats, hats, programs still from those years. I have listened to or watched about 90% of all games home and away since 1955. I have scrapbooks for several years in the late 1950s. My dad was also an avid fan of the Red Sox and saw them win the 2004 World Series in an assisted living home. He lived long enough to also experience the 2007 WS. I am  now spoiled that I can watch every game in high definition on a 55" LED screen and it is just like being there. It is a shame that previous generations never had that luxury.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]  HOW WERE THE GANSET'S !!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

LOL Steven,  Mantle and Maris cards traded for this one. LOL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : That was popular. Ever play scrape the wall with the cards? Also, loved that bubble gum. (Can I still get that gum?) After the '61 season, someone duped me into trading my Mantle and Maris cards for a Ruth card (I never heard of him), who, was, according to him,   "Better than both of them put together" . Alas, It was not Ruth, but a picture of an ugly, demonic looking old guy in a suit apparently testifying before Congress (back when it was all WASP and Male, like symphony orchestras then); it was probably J. Edgar Hoover.

61 was a great year the chase of Ruth's record by Mantle and Maris, the Yankees had three catchers hit over 20 homeruns they took the series over the Reds in 5 games.

Would go to bed every night listening to the games on a transistor radio. Marilyn M. died that year too. I remember going to my Babe Ruth games on the bench discussing Mantle and Maris, me and my teammates quite despondant because there was no one to claim Marilyn's body.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 :   HOW WERE THE GANSET'S !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

http://www.narragansettbeer.com/2011/12/hi-neighbor-jingle-sung-by-the-g20-choir

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Marilyn died in 1962. The story is still true, I played babe Ruth for three years.

Like Bill Clinton I can't remember everything.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : 61 was a great year the chase of Ruth's record by Mantle and Maris, the Yankees had three catchers hit over 20 homeruns they took the series over the Reds in 5 games. Would go to bed every night listening to the games on a transistor radio. Marilyn M. died that year too. I remember going to my Babe Ruth games on the bench discussing Mantle and Maris, me and my teammates quite despondant because there was no one to claim Marilyn's body.

Didn't the catcher Johnny Blanchard hit more HRs per AB that year than either Maris or Mantle?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : Didn't the catcher Johnny Blanchard hit more HRs per AB that year than either Maris or Mantle?

Could be, he was 3rd string,  he didn't play that often because of the great season by Elston Howard.

Yogi played a lot of outfield that season, without one complaint I might add, stepped aside for Elston, he did it for the good of the team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yogi, Blanchard, Bob Cerv, and Hector Lopez shared LF and backup C, yet Yogi & Blanchard both hit over 20 HRs. Even Cerv hit about 8 or 9.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The all UticaClub Thread - 24/7 : When I was a kid the slice of gum included in the pack of Topps baseball cards was the same size/width as the cards. The dentists loved that gum too in the days before fluoridated water.

I can still picture that gum, a large, thick slab, oozing a pink powder that made you want to lick your fingers, and folding and crunching so nicely when you first put it in your mouth; and that taste! mmmmmmmmm

Unfortunately, now I gave diabetes, so even if I found it, it wouldn't be the greatest idea to chew it.

I would say this thread has gotten back on track.