The Amazing Jose Iglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: The Amazing Jose Iglesias

In response to joel49's comment:

This is not meant to be a commentary on the trade, but I hate that we won't get to see the kind of plays like the one he made tonight against the ChiSox.  Check out Sportscenter.  It has to be the top play of the day.

I know, Joel. 

Gonna miss the slick little fella, a lot. 

But ... I think our pitching staff may miss him more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I get the feeling that the Red Sox never really believed Iglesias would hit enough to earn his keep in a major league lineup, hence the signing of Drew this winter. Iggy got an opportunity due to Drew's concussion followed by Middlebrooks' injury and struggles, and he ran with it...but it seems like Cherington saw Iggy's cold July as proof he was falling back to earth and took the opportunity to "sell high."

To me, the jury is still out on what kind of a hitter Iglesias is going to be. He had a freakishly good couple of months earlier in the season, but he's also at .229/.258/.263 since July 1st - is that more representative of what we can expect from him going forward? Yes, his glove is magic, but will it justify him being an everyday player if he's an automatic out in the lineup?

I don't think anyone can answer those questions conclusively...only time will tell what kind of player Iglesias will become and how this trade will turn out. Cherington took a risk here, it's true. We needed a starting pitcher, and he took a risk (how often have our GMs been torn to shreds here for supposedly not having the spine to do that?) ..in the worst-case scenario, Peavy might be Erik Bedard Part 2 and Iggy might be a star for the next decade and longer, but I think that's hardly a slam-dunk. I wish we'd been able to keep Iggy, but we're going to have to wait to see how this works out, and I'm certainly not ready to condemn the trade because he got a few more infield hits or made a sweet play in the field.

He has had a couple of 2 for 4 games with the tigers.   People kept expecting Iggy to hit like he is batting 4th.  He is batting 9th and I am not sure of the averages for other's in that hole, but I bet iggy is right up.

He is batting.324. How many guys in the majors are doing that, much less # 9 hitters ?  

He is hitting 281 in 324 career at bats. His career OPS is 687. Call me crazy but I am not going to call him a good hitter yet.

Of course he has hit much better than anyone expected. And of course there is a reason no one expected it. Because he has never been a good hitter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

I get the feeling that the Red Sox never really believed Iglesias would hit enough to earn his keep in a major league lineup, hence the signing of Drew this winter. Iggy got an opportunity due to Drew's concussion followed by Middlebrooks' injury and struggles, and he ran with it...but it seems like Cherington saw Iggy's cold July as proof he was falling back to earth and took the opportunity to "sell high."

To me, the jury is still out on what kind of a hitter Iglesias is going to be. He had a freakishly good couple of months earlier in the season, but he's also at .229/.258/.263 since July 1st - is that more representative of what we can expect from him going forward? Yes, his glove is magic, but will it justify him being an everyday player if he's an automatic out in the lineup?

I don't think anyone can answer those questions conclusively...only time will tell what kind of player Iglesias will become and how this trade will turn out. Cherington took a risk here, it's true. We needed a starting pitcher, and he took a risk (how often have our GMs been torn to shreds here for supposedly not having the spine to do that?) ..in the worst-case scenario, Peavy might be Erik Bedard Part 2 and Iggy might be a star for the next decade and longer, but I think that's hardly a slam-dunk. I wish we'd been able to keep Iggy, but we're going to have to wait to see how this works out, and I'm certainly not ready to condemn the trade because he got a few more infield hits or made a sweet play in the field.

He has had a couple of 2 for 4 games with the tigers.   People kept expecting Iggy to hit like he is batting 4th.  He is batting 9th and I am not sure of the averages for other's in that hole, but I bet iggy is right up.

He is batting.324. How many guys in the majors are doing that, much less # 9 hitters ?  

Have you not noticed that everytime you state iggys average its lower then the time before? Iggy is not a hitter he's a fantastic glove man. Tigers can afford to hide that on their lineup. We need production top to bottom it was and will be q good trade for both teams. Calling this trade a huge blunder is the biggest joke I have heard. In order to get something good you have to give up something good, that's the way trades work.

The way good trades work is to not trade 23 year old shortstops , who have the ability of Iglesias , for 32 year old , oft injured pitchers, with an ERA of 4.5 . That is recipe for failure and regret.  Simple logic will tell you that Iglesias can only get better, while Peavy has already seen his best days. 

Arent you the guy that was calling Reddick a candidate for MVP last year?

Reddick stinks, Iggy is not going to be a premier SS.

I know. The truth hurts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

His ERA since he entered the AL , has not been good except for one year. It is not good this year. I hope he can improve on it and be a mainstay on our staff. If not , having control of him for another year will not be plus. We already have Dempster signed through next year. Not looking forward to that. I honestly think that those who are defending this trade are doing so out of loyalty to Ben' s decision making. For me , Ben fell for the temptation that he had to " do something " at the deadline. It is my opinion that was a desperation move to improve our pitching, and it was a mistake.  I do agree with the idea that time will tell. For now , I don't like it. And , I have said that all along. No straddling the proverbial fence. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

His ERA since he entered the AL , has not been good except for one year. It is not good this year. I hope he can improve on it and be a mainstay on our staff. If not , having control of him for another year will not be plus. We already have Dempster signed through next year. Not looking forward to that. I honestly think that those who are defending this trade are doing so out of loyalty to Ben' s decision making. For me , Ben fell for the temptation that he had to " do something " at the deadline. It is my opinion that was a desperation move to improve our pitching, and it was a mistake.  I do agree with the idea that time will tell. For now , I don't like it. And , I have said that all along. No straddling the proverbial fence. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

It isn't a big deal getting Peavey, it isn't a big deal losing Iggy.

No one is going to be crying about Iggy in a year. Promise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Have you not noticed that everytime you state iggys average its lower then the time before? Iggy is not a hitter he's a fantastic glove man. Tigers can afford to hide that on their lineup. We need production top to bottom it was and will be q good trade for both teams. Calling this trade a huge blunder is the biggest joke I have heard. In order to get something good you have to give up something good, that's the way trades work.

The way good trades work is to not trade 23 year old shortstops , who have the ability of Iglesias , for 32 year old , oft injured pitchers, with an ERA of 4.5 . That is recipe for failure and regret.  Simple logic will tell you that Iglesias can only get better, while Peavy has already seen his best days. 

I know. The truth hurts.

I said he would get some votes. He did. Finished 16th. How  is Bailey's rehab coming along ? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I think we may live to regret trading Iggy but it will take some time to play out. Meantime it is fun watching his highlights, no doubt about it.

We got a very good pitcher for Iggy.  For this year,  and next as we all know.  The Sox are making a run for the WS and pitching is the way you win.  Sox have a backlog at SS/3rd making the youngster available.  I think it was a very good move by BC.

Be patient...  there are lots of good looking kids down on the farm.  Iggy's bat is going to come back down to what it really is...  .230  He's Alex Gonzalez redux.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Also, Peavy was injured his last 2 games before he hit the DL.  The MRI missed the break the first time - he tried to play through it and got shelled.  Before those 2 starts, his ERA was 2.97 and WHIP was 1.02.

Great point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2012-2013: There are 155 MLB pithcers with 130+ IP

WHIP: Peavy ranks 16th at 1.11 (Tied with Felix & Kuroda)

ERA-:  Peavy ranks 42nd at 88 (Ahead of Garza & Greinke)

SIERA: Peavy is 36th at 3.64 (Ahead of Cain & Kuroda)

These are his last 2 season's combined rankings at ages 31-32.

Innings pitched? Only 60 MLB have over 300 IP since the start of 2012, and Peavy is one.

He's 26th in WAR at 5.6 (just 0.1 behind Bumgarner), 13th in WHIP,  & 24th in ERA- .

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Also, Peavy was injured his last 2 games before he hit the DL.  The MRI missed the break the first time - he tried to play through it and got shelled.  Before those 2 starts, his ERA was 2.97 and WHIP was 1.02.

Great point.

This was my arguement when some here sited his ERA this year. Put into the correct context, Peavy would appear better that what the numbers suggest.

regardless, it was a good trade for all teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

He makes fun to watch, creative, off balance plays. Not one of the 3 best defensive SS's in baseball though. A bit over rated.

You are probobaly one of those old school fielding percentage is everything kind of guys.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Mmmmm. Folgers brew. I am more mid school and find the RF[range factor] stats interesting. That is the number of outs made by a player per game. The numbers you have mentioned numerous times here btw. Only real actual numbers instead of opinionated numbers.

Iglesias has a major league RF of 4.10 and a minor league RF of 4.18. These are very low numbers. Below average. Compare them to the two best defensive SS's in baseball in my opinion...

Jose Iglesias----------4.10---4.18
    Andrelton Simmons--4.88---5.11
    Pedro Florimon-------5.19---4.56

I challenge you or anybody else to find a SS with an excellent defensive reputation in the history of baseball with even similar lousy RF stats. I find nobody even close. Kind of odd that these incredibly important numbers of his are so lousy isn't it? Pure coincidence? Maybe. Partly team pitching affected, probably. But to such an extreme extent? I doubt it.

I believe Iglesias is great with off balance plays and throws in short spaces. But his arm strength is probably below average. He doesn't make a lot of plays deep in holes. I also think he plays kind of shallow.

Iglesias lack of arm strength makes his defense over rated. I think as time goes on, people will begin to notice this problem and his reputation will decrease some. This is my opinion of course. I have some pretty big and important stats to back up my theory. It has nothing to do with fielding percentage. And I admit I am out front on this. If Iglesias had a Simmons or Furcal type arm, he would probably be worthy of the extreme praise he is getting, maybe more so. But its not even in the same ball park.

On a side note, Iglesias has 1 extra base hit and no walks in his last 29 games. Speaking of amazing, that is kind of amazingly hollow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

This is not meant to be a commentary on the trade, but I hate that we won't get to see the kind of plays like the one he made tonight against the ChiSox.  Check out Sportscenter.  It has to be the top play of the day.

He made a great play against the Yankees the other day also.  He is as good a shortstop as I have seen.  Right there with Ozzie and Vizquel. Still hitting .324 , by the way. 

Absolutely true!!! What a pivy! Correction,  it is a T not a V

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I know. The truth hurts.

I said he would get some votes. He did. Finished 16th. How  is Bailey's rehab coming along ? 

I dont hate iggy, I love defense first shortstops but you need to realise everytime you post iggies batting average your going to lose your argument. We got a former cy young winner for a shortstop that will have a career ba no higher the 260. How is that a bad trade. Also where was boggy gonna play or middy, now two possible middle of the order bats have spots on the roster next year. What would you have done with boggy? Left him in the minors to rot. We needed an sp, hate to tell you but that's a hot commodity in baseball and its expensive, we are lucky Detroit really needed a shortstop because of biogenises, without that peavy easily costs some combo of the 3 of our top 10 prospects. We didn't overpay for peavy, we underpaid, period.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Peavy might win some important games for the Red Sox and Drew might get some game winning hits, but neither one will ever make a play as pretty as that.  I mention this not to be contentious or to rate the outcome benefit of the trade, but just to appreciate the play for its own sake.  It's baseball art.  

"DEFENSE wins ball games !!"

It was a great play for sure. Too bad it didnt win them the game.

I don't think Bill watches ballgames.

Good pitching and defense do win ball games.  Some may argue that the sox gave up one to get the other.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Peavy might win some important games for the Red Sox and Drew might get some game winning hits, but neither one will ever make a play as pretty as that.  I mention this not to be contentious or to rate the outcome benefit of the trade, but just to appreciate the play for its own sake.  It's baseball art.  

Good pitching and defense do win ball games.  Some may argue that the sox gave up one to get the other.

I would argue that good pitching is more valuble then amazing defense. Iggy provided amazing defence but drew is also an above average defensively, good pitching and good d win championships and that's the direction it would appear the sox are attempting to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

I would argue that good pitching is more valuble then amazing defense. Iggy provided amazing defence but drew is also an above average defensively, good pitching and good d win championships and that's the direction it would appear the sox are attempting to go.

I agree and don't have a problem with the trade.  The sox need good pitching so I hope this trade works out.  Iggy was fun to watch and I will miss that. I don't think drew is as good but as you said he is above average.

I'm a bit concerned with the pitching and I'm not sure it will hold up in the post season if the sox make it there.  It would be nice to see buch come back and a stronger lester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He makes fun to watch, creative, off balance plays. Not one of the 3 best defensive SS's in baseball though. A bit over rated.

You are probobaly one of those old school fielding percentage is everything kind of guys.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Mmmmm. Folgers brew. I am more mid school and find the RF[range factor] stats interesting. That is the number of outs made by a player per game. The numbers you have mentioned numerous times here btw. Only real actual numbers instead of opinionated numbers.

Iglesias has a major league RF of 4.10 and a minor league RF of 4.18. These are very low numbers. Below average. Compare them to the two best defensive SS's in baseball in my opinion...

Jose Iglesias----------4.10---4.18
    Andrelton Simmons--4.88---5.11
    Pedro Florimon-------5.19---4.56

I challenge you or anybody else to find a SS with an excellent defensive reputation in the history of baseball with even similar lousy RF stats. I find nobody even close. Kind of odd that these incredibly important numbers of his are so lousy isn't it? Pure coincidence? Maybe. Partly team pitching affected, probably. But to such an extreme extent? I doubt it.

I believe Iglesias is great with off balance plays and throws in short spaces. But his arm strength is probably below average. He doesn't make a lot of plays deep in holes. I also think he plays kind of shallow.

Iglesias lack of arm strength makes his defense over rated. I think as time goes on, people will begin to notice this problem and his reputation will decrease some. This is my opinion of course. I have some pretty big and important stats to back up my theory. It has nothing to do with fielding percentage. And I admit I am out front on this. If Iglesias had a Simmons or Furcal type arm, he would probably be worthy of the extreme praise he is getting, maybe more so. But its not even in the same ball park.

On a side note, Iglesias has 1 extra base hit and no walks in his last 29 games. Speaking of amazing, that is kind of amazingly hollow.

As I have stated many times, Iggy could hit .220 and still be a net plus.

Yes, I have used RF/9, but never alone to judge anyone. RF/9 does not take into account how many balls were hit in a players area. If a player plays on a team with pitchers who have a lot of Ks or fly balls, then one would expect the IF'er to have lower RF/9 rates than the norm.

Here are some numbers:

A) Baseball ref has Iggy's career SS RF/9 at 4.27 not 4.18.

B) There is a number that does take into account how many balls are hit in a SSs areas and how many are converted into outs. It's UZR/150. Out of 66 MLB SSs with over 250 innings at SS since 2012, here are the rankings:

1) 28.1 Simmons  

2) 27.4 Iggy

3) 21.8 Espinosa

4) 15.9 L Cruz

5) 14.2 Ransom

C) By far, the biggest factor in Iggy's high UZR/150 is his rngr factor (range). He also has a high DPR per innings.

D) As for his arm strength and overall defensive skillset, I'll trust my eyes and that of several scouting reports or MLB GMs:

Bleacher Report:  Jose's defense rates as "major league-ready" and "plus-plus" by any measure. 

R.S.B.: ...excellent range, a strong arm, quick feet, decisive and smart.

Baseball Prospect Nation: You can’t argue with Iglesias’ defensive prowess. He is the best defensive infielder in the minor leagues, and frankly, it’s not very close. Iglesias is a jaw-dropping defender and he is worth of a big-league roster spot thanks to those skills alone.

Dombrowski: "Somebody that has seen him play just sent me a note and said ‘In all my years in the game, the only two defensive shortstops I’ve seen that are better are Ozzie and Vizquel."

Soxprospects.com:   Elite defensive skills highlighted by extremely fluid hands and soft glove. Excellent instincts and anticipation produces his well above-average range. Will get to balls that most, if not all, will not. Plus, accurate arm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

Here are some numbers:

Actually, I believe the 4.27 is the "League" range factor during his time in the bigs at SS. I think his RF-9 is 4.10, just like I said. I suggest you recheck Baseball refference. I have made the same mistake myself in the past.

I agree that one stat should not be the only way to evaluate a player, but its a very important stat. And its not just so-so numbers for him, they are actually bad. And its not half a season. Its 3 and a half seasons worth of numbers. I agree that ground ball pitching and luck has a lot to do with those numbers. However, we are talking about 8 seperate environments with 8 seperate pitching staffs over nearly 4 seasons. Shouldn't the law of averages start to even things out a little by now?

And this year with the Sox, Drew had a .32 advantage with the same pitchers. Thats one extra out by Drew every 3 games. The exact opposite of your low end prediction of Iglesias making an extra out every 3 games. And Drew is not even remotely great in range.

You did not take up my challenge btw. How come compared to all the excellent SS's in history, his RF numbers are worse them all of them in the minors and so far in the majors and by large numbers? That doesn't give you any pause? At what point do you say somethings not right here and start to re-evaluate? 5 seasons of crappy RF numbers? 6? 7? 10?

As for scouting reports, I have heard all that. I wonder how many of those scouts and experts have been influenced in the same way many fans have by a few spectacular mid range plays.

He doesn't have a strong arm. My eyes say those experts are just dead wrong. I think I would be hard pressed to name a half dozen SS's with weaker arms.

I don't trust UZR that much, especially in such a small sample. I am cool in combining UZR with RF and getting a much more accurate view. And that is something less then all world.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here are some numbers:

Actually, I believe the 4.27 is the "League" range factor during his time in the bigs at SS. I think his RF-9 is 4.10, just like I said. I suggest you recheck Baseball refference. I have made the same mistake myself in the past.

Thanks. I stand corrected. My bad.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wonder how many people fawning all over Iglesias as a hitter this year were doing the same act one year ago with Ciriaco.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

he's a better fit in Detroit, and even looks better in Detroit uni than ours.  mlb.com will be the way to see his nightly highlights -- which I've been looking for every day.  Good for him that he's an every day SS on a pennant contender.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

IN DETROIT UNIFORM:

.270 / .308

7 K / 2 BB

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I wonder how many people fawning all over Iglesias as a hitter this year were doing the same act one year ago with Ciriaco.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

There were posters calling for Ciriaco to be our starting FT SS!

The guy had a career minor league OBP of .299 in over 3,000 PAs.

I never expected Iggy to hit well, but I have "fawned" over his fielding for years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Don't get me wrong I loved Iggy....watching his glove work was like baseball porn.

But I thnk people are really going to like this guy.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=29698619&sid=milb

Sections
Shortcuts