The Amazing Jose Iglesias

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: The Amazing Jose Iglesias

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

lack of offense? He is 23!!!!! wtf! Honestly.

Fair enough that he is young and he is still developing, and he is likely to be an "adequate" hitter for a SS with his defensive skills.

As I've said before, I would have been fine if the team had kept him.  I would have been ticked if the team had dealt him and we didn't have the depth in the minors which, IMO,  makes him expendable.

I like Iggy, and I strongly favor defense over offense for a SS, so I'm not trying to bash him. I'm just pointing out some things that make trading him for Peavy a good move.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

All I know is the RS gave up on Iggy last winter when they brought in Drew.  Up until then he was the apparent started for this season.  The Sox decided that he wasn't going to be big league material because of his hitting.

So it will be interesting to see how he does over the next year or so.  If the Sox were wrong, I'd say it will be one of their costlier and more embarrassing mistakes.  Costly because they would have him cheap for a few years, rather than paying a Drew equivalent $9 or so mill.  Embarrassing because of their well decumented inability to evaluate and or retain shortstops.

Drew, or another stop gap SS, needed to be brought in last winter.  Iggy had shown nothing offensively at that point that warranted him having the starting SS job.

It will take years to assess the overall value of this trade, but so far, Drew has been worth $11 M to the team according to Fangraphs WAR value, and having him also allowed the Sox to acquire Peavy.

I think Drew at least gets a qualifying offer, which either nets us another draft pick or gives us some valuable depth/insurance in a solid SS for another year while some of the kids continue to develop.

IMO, the Drew signing has been a great move.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Because it can be said about ANY situation.  It can be said that since a team has won a WS championship without a 20 game winner a team doen't need a 20 game winner.  The same with an established closer, the same with a batting champion, the same with a GG winner at any position, the same with just about anything.  The fact remains that the more of those things you have the better your chances of winning a championship. 

The fact that the Sox have won without established GG SS proves only that it can be done, but it's not justifcation for not having one if it's possible to.   

OK, let me clarify my position.

1) I'm primarily arguing against the 'revolving door at SS' complaint that people keep bringing up.  There's nothing to show that continuity at the position matters.  All that matters is that the guy you have that year does the job.

2) Of course great defence at SS is a plus.  Runs prevented are just as good as runs produced.  But it's the total contribution on offence and defence that counts.

People keep saying 'the Red Sox value offence at SS too much and defence not enough'.

Well, maybe it's because the Red Sox keep looking at the example of the Yankees.  Since Jeter became shortstop the Yankees have won 5 WS and missed the playoffs once.  And as we all know by now, Jeter is one of the worst fielding SS's in baseball.  But he'll be in the Hall of Fame because of his bat. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Very nice post.  We're not far apart on this issue.  Now let me respond, trying to be a bit nicer than I was previously  :-)

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Because it can be said about ANY situation.  It can be said that since a team has won a WS championship without a 20 game winner a team doen't need a 20 game winner.  The same with an established closer, the same with a batting champion, the same with a GG winner at any position, the same with just about anything.  The fact remains that the more of those things you have the better your chances of winning a championship. 

The fact that the Sox have won without established GG SS proves only that it can be done, but it's not justifcation for not having one if it's possible to.   

OK, let me clarify my position.

1) I'm primarily arguing against the 'revolving door at SS' complaint that people keep bringing up.  There's nothing to show that continuity at the position matters.  All that matters is that the guy you have that year does the job.

Agreed.  Right now SS seems to be the Poster Child for this topic but it could be any position.  SS being one of the highest profile positions it's understandable. and Iggy's skills at SS make it even more understandable.

2) Of course great defence at SS is a plus.  Runs prevented are just as good as runs produced.  But it's the total contribution on offence and defence that counts.

People keep saying 'the Red Sox value offence at SS too much and defence not enough'.

This is completely a philosophical issue and one the FO and I don't agree on.  And since they have the money and the say in it, guess who wins.  :-)

In my mind you build a team around the strengths of certain players. If you have a player with tremendous power you find a place where he can play adequate defense and keep him there.   If you have a player who plays GG defense you put him at his position and leave him there, assuming he can hit adequately - and it hasn't been proven to my satisfaction yet that Iggy can't hit well enough to be a major contributor considering his defense.  (BTW, If you have a player who can do both you offer him 5 years @ $18M, but that's another story.  LOL).  Then you fill in around these people with enough offense and defense to make your team competitive.

Well, maybe it's because the Red Sox keep looking at the example of the Yankees.  Since Jeter became shortstop the Yankees have won 5 WS and missed the playoffs once.  And as we all know by now, Jeter is one of the worst fielding SS's in baseball.  But he'll be in the Hall of Fame because of his bat. 

Jeter has been adequate defensively at SS throughout his career and better than adequate offensively, and I think he's a shoo-in for the HOF.  Not necessarily because of his on-field performance but because of his "intangibles". He was the team leader and the face of the most successful baseball team in America when it was in its heyday and I think that will be the tipping point on the discussion as to whether he gets into the hall.

JMO!  :-) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Lot of the comments here are just what I expect from RS fans as long as Jose makes plays like that there will be threads like this lamenting the trade. Even if Jose only hits 200 and makes a handful of similar plays the RS fans will complain. RS fans have been doing it for over 90 years so it is not going to stop now.

Even if Peavey wins the final game of every playoff the next two years if Jose plays 16 yrs and makes plays the RS fans will complain about the trade.and always will be.

It is the way it is in BOSTON

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

I know. Our fans are passionate and sometimes get delusional about talent. Remember when everyone thought Casey Fossum was a stud and not to trade him?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy has a career .327 OBP in MLB in 361 PAs.

His career minor league OBP is .307.

He's 23.

Remember when everyone fell for Pedro Ciriaco?

Career MLB OBP .310 in 438 PAs/ minors: .299 in 3611 PAs.

Pedro was 26 when here.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jeter has been adequate defensively at SS throughout his career ...

He's been the worst fielding FT SS in MLB over the last decade.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Jeter has been adequate defensively at SS throughout his career ...

He's been the worst fielding FT SS in MLB over the last decade.

Sox4ever

Really?  The worst?  I'm not disputing it.. I just wasn't nearly aware of it.  But that does give more credence to my post that he's getting into the HOF based on he "intangibles". 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

People, Iglesias is gone.  How long is the mourning period supposed to last?...forever?...pleeez.

Xander B. will be here soon and everyone, hopefully, will forget about Iglesias.

Besides, how many 'seeing eye' grounders will he hit until lady luck finally catches up to him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

People, Iglesias is gone.  How long is the mourning period supposed to last?...forever?...pleeez.

Xander B. will be here soon and everyone, hopefully, will forget about Iglesias.

Besides, how many 'seeing eye' grounders will he hit until lady luck finally catches up to him?

Really?  Where's he going to play?  Because this team just traded away "The SS of the Future" because they had "The NEW SS of the Future" waiting in the wings.  Now we're hearing that "The NEW SS of the Future's" best position may not be SS.

This whole thing should be on television at 2:00 on weekday afternoons.  :-(

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

The legend of IGGY continues to grow !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Iggy's updated line with Detroit:

227/261/295

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

spilt milk

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

spilt milk

Where   ???????????????????????????????????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im on record as being against the trade but it wasnt a dumb one - we needed a good starter and we are in the midst of a serious pennant race in a great division...Peavy was much needed considering Clay's injury and Dempster's slide 

As always - 100% correct!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

kimmi you are too kind... sorry to be a pain. However Iggy is far too young to have posters justifying his lack of future. Good night.

He is also far too unproven to have posters crying about him being traded.

Hyperbole is hyperbole.

I would have been fine if he was still the SS of the future. I am fine with him being gone.

He isn't that big of a deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Im on record as being against the trade but it wasnt a dumb one - we needed a good starter and we are in the midst of a serious pennant race in a great division...Peavy was much needed considering Clay's injury and Dempster's slide 

As always - 100% correct!

Since I agree with you this time, I'm beginning to question myself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

kimmi you are too kind... sorry to be a pain. However Iggy is far too young to have posters justifying his lack of future. Good night.

He is also far too unproven to have posters crying about him being traded.

Hyperbole is hyperbole.

I would have been fine if he was still the SS of the future. I am fine with him being gone.

He isn't that big of a deal.

Its Boston. Grossly overreacting is the norm around here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Iggy having a rough day today. he squared around to bunt and got a 94MPH FB right square in his yam bag. Might be a little sore the next few days.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

hahahaha.  "yam bag" is funny every time.  sitting in my office chuckling........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

hahahaha.  "yam bag" is funny every time.  sitting in my office chuckling........

LOL

That is funny!

Not for Iggy...poor kid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Really?  Where's he going to play?  Because this team just traded away "The SS of the Future" because they had "The NEW SS of the Future" waiting in the wings.  Now we're hearing that "The NEW SS of the Future's" best position may not be SS.

This whole thing should be on television at 2:00 on weekday afternoons.  :-(

SS.....next year.

Sections
Shortcuts