The Amazing Jose Iglesias

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Amazing Jose Iglesias

Iggy plays for Detroit now.  Cherington had to give up one of our top prospects to get a good starting pitcher.  That's the way it is.  If he had given up Bogaerts, Bradley or Owens we'd come to regret that too.  If he didn't get a starting pitcher we'd hate that.  Being a GM is not a simple matter.  I think Cherington is doing a good job and he is trying to balance the present and the future. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

southpaw flat out hates Iggy. Drew and Peavey will be gone and forgotten by 2015 and Iggy will be winning gold gloves and batting .260 through 2025.

really? another false accusation brought to you by Burrito-T. Ive dont nothing but compliment Iggy on his defense and even went as far to say he could be a 260BA in MLB. for crying out loud Burr, I have him on my fantasy team. Its true I like a more balanced ball player and I approved of the trade, but please spare us your empty accusations of "southpaw flat out hates iggy". you sound like an angry child.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

southpaw flat out hates Iggy. Drew and Peavey will be gone and forgotten by 2015 and Iggy will be winning gold gloves and batting .260 through 2025.

really? another false accusation brought to you by Burrito-T. Ive dont nothing but compliment Iggy on his defense and even went as far to say he could be a 260BA in MLB. fro crying out loud Burr, I have him on my fantasy team. Its true I like a more balanced ball player and I approved of the trade, but please spare us your empty accusations of "southpaw flat out hates iggy". you sound like an angry child.

Really ? Like "too bad his great play didn't win the game" .... talk about tongue in cheek. On top of that all of your "lucky" hit posts... give me a break.

*yawn*

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I will say it again.  Iglesias for Peavy was a major league blunder by Ben C.  Peavy pitching us to a championship is the only possible justification. Failing that , we will have years to watch Iglesias highlight plays and rue this dumb, desperation , deadline deal.

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I will say it again.  Iglesias for Peavy was a major league blunder by Ben C.  Peavy pitching us to a championship is the only possible justification. Failing that , we will have years to watch Iglesias highlight plays and rue this dumb, desperation , deadline deal.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Can you say it yet again later?

It never gets old....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Can you say it yet again later?

It never gets old....

It never gets old, but your act does. I will keep reminding you at regular intervals.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Here's a nice read from Fangraphs on that play:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-awe-of-jose-iglesias/

Don't forget to read the comments  :-) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Here's a nice read from Fangraphs on that play:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-awe-of-jose-iglesias/

Don't forget to read the comments  :-) 

A heck of a play!

But, the comments weren't all that exciting, sorry.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

No.  We could have acquired Clayton Kershaw and it still wouldn't have guaranteed a title this year.  Acquiring Peavy improved our chances this year and next.  And it's not out of the realm of possibility that we sign him to an extension.

You don't need to overstate things to make your point.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I hated this trade for all the reasons already stated, endlessly.  My own is simply he was and is fun to watch--great defense is the poetry of baseball. 

That said, I also understand why the Sox let him go to get a starter, maybe a good starter, for a team that really needed one. 

It wasn't just getting Peavy, but also opening up space for better bats at 3B/SS, not only this year but next year.  I am convinced the Sox don't really care that much about defense, not even at the SS position.  Fortunately, Drew right now is capable--not flashy, not great range, but capable.  And his bat is heating up at the right time.  If Middlebrooks bat also heats up, then the trade already makes sense, and we haven't even talked about Bogaerts yet.  He is the heir apparent to SS. 

I would still rather have Iglesias, but at least I understand what their thinking was/is. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I hated this trade for all the reasons already stated, endlessly.  My own is simply he was and is fun to watch--great defense is the poetry of baseball. 

That said, I also understand why the Sox let him go to get a starter, maybe a good starter, for a team that really needed one. 

It wasn't just getting Peavy, but also opening up space for better bats at 3B/SS, not only this year but next year.  I am convinced the Sox don't really care that much about defense, not even at the SS position.  Fortunately, Drew right now is capable--not flashy, not great range, but capable.  And his bat is heating up at the right time.  If Middlebrooks bat also heats up, then the trade already makes sense, and we haven't even talked about Bogaerts yet.  He is the heir apparent to SS. 

I would still rather have Iglesias, but at least I understand what their thinking was/is. 

Well stated.  +1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

From the start, I viewed this trade as one that might help us in the short term but hurt us in the long run. Now, I wonder if it will hurt us in the short term, too.

I can't stress how much I hope I'm wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think the FO values OBP over highlight plays.  Iglesias never really made much progress in that area.  If he had, he'd still be with the team.  Stranding runners or failing to keep a rally going doesn't make SportsCenter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Sure, .260 with a .290 OBP and a .660 OPS, and Bogaerts / Cecchini will be all-stars on the left side of our infield.  Also, as long as we're making predictions, the compensation pick for Peavy will be our top prospect and the one for Drew will be warming in the pen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I was a huge Iglesias fan, but the Sox immediate future had 3 infielders for the left side - Iglesias,  Bogaerts, and Middlebrooks.  And this is not taking  Cecchini into account. 

Of those first 3, who should the Sox have dealt?  

My opinion might be already known, but apparently the Sox likeMiddlebrooks more than I do...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In Awe of Jose Iglesias http://bit.ly/147muPh

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I wanted IGGY at SS since last fall........ Hated to see him traded as I think that if he "keeps his head on straight" he will be fun to watch and will "transform" the game once again......  Ben has a lot of options in the system, just hope that Peavy can get us into October !!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I get the feeling that the Red Sox never really believed Iglesias would hit enough to earn his keep in a major league lineup, hence the signing of Drew this winter. Iggy got an opportunity due to Drew's concussion followed by Middlebrooks' injury and struggles, and he ran with it...but it seems like Cherington saw Iggy's cold July as proof he was falling back to earth and took the opportunity to "sell high."

To me, the jury is still out on what kind of a hitter Iglesias is going to be. He had a freakishly good couple of months earlier in the season, but he's also at .229/.258/.263 since July 1st - is that more representative of what we can expect from him going forward? Yes, his glove is magic, but will it justify him being an everyday player if he's an automatic out in the lineup?

I don't think anyone can answer those questions conclusively...only time will tell what kind of player Iglesias will become and how this trade will turn out. Cherington took a risk here, it's true. We needed a starting pitcher, and he took a risk (how often have our GMs been torn to shreds here for supposedly not having the spine to do that?) ..in the worst-case scenario, Peavy might be Erik Bedard Part 2 and Iggy might be a star for the next decade and longer, but I think that's hardly a slam-dunk. I wish we'd been able to keep Iggy, but we're going to have to wait to see how this works out, and I'm certainly not ready to condemn the trade because he got a few more infield hits or made a sweet play in the field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I get the feeling that the Red Sox never really believed Iglesias would hit enough to earn his keep in a major league lineup, hence the signing of Drew this winter. Iggy got an opportunity due to Drew's concussion followed by Middlebrooks' injury and struggles, and he ran with it...but it seems like Cherington saw Iggy's cold July as proof he was falling back to earth and took the opportunity to "sell high."

To me, the jury is still out on what kind of a hitter Iglesias is going to be. He had a freakishly good couple of months earlier in the season, but he's also at .229/.258/.263 since July 1st - is that more representative of what we can expect from him going forward? Yes, his glove is magic, but will it justify him being an everyday player if he's an automatic out in the lineup?

I don't think anyone can answer those questions conclusively...only time will tell what kind of player Iglesias will become and how this trade will turn out. Cherington took a risk here, it's true. We needed a starting pitcher, and he took a risk (how often have our GMs been torn to shreds here for supposedly not having the spine to do that?) ..in the worst-case scenario, Peavy might be Erik Bedard Part 2 and Iggy might be a star for the next decade and longer, but I think that's hardly a slam-dunk. I wish we'd been able to keep Iggy, but we're going to have to wait to see how this works out, and I'm certainly not ready to condemn the trade because he got a few more infield hits or made a sweet play in the field.

+1

Sections
Shortcuts