The "Too Soon" Return of J.D. Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The "Too Soon" Return of J.D. Drew

I was hoping that Drew wouldn't return until after September 1 due to roster expansion and the decision on the current roster.  If he indeed goes on a rehab assignment shortly (4-7 days max), he will return some time around the 17th of August. If that is the case, what player goes to Pawtucket, if they even have the options? It seems like one of two players:

Darnell McDonald
    Mike Aviles

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

Re: The "Too Soon" Return of J.D. Drew

Just a thought: couldn't the Sox give Drew his unconditional release - there's not much left salary left on his contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

In Response to The "Too Soon" Return of J.D. Drew:
    [QUOTE]I was hoping that Drew wouldn't return until after September 1 due to roster expansion and the decision on the current roster.  If he indeed goes on a rehab assignment shortly (4-7 days max), he will return some time around the 17th of August. If that is the case, what player goes to Pawtucket, if they even have the options? It seems like one of two players: Darnell McDonald Mike Aviles Thoughts?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

If it came to those two, they brought Aviles in for his overall versatility so he would be retained.  Drew for McDonald would be a straight swap as it were.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

I still think he wont be back until after 9/1/11. Which would be ideal, They will find a way to keep him down "rehabing" until 9/1.   Yeah, or just release him, but that would come across as "dirty" i think. He is done.  IMO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I don't think Drew for McDonald would be a straight swap.

Drew has a much better arm, assuming his shoulder is 100%.  But MACD is faster.  MACD can pinch run.  Drew can't.

Drew is limited to a defensive replacement.  MACD can be a defensive replacement, pinch run, and pinch hit against lefties.

The Sox should take a hint from the yankees and release the struggling veteran.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: The "Too Soon" Return of J.D. Drew:
    [QUOTE]I don't think Drew for McDonald would be a straight swap. Drew has a much better arm, assuming his shoulder is 100%.  But MACD is faster.  MACD can pinch run.  Drew can't. Drew is limited to a defensive replacement.  MACD can be a defensive replacement, pinch run, and pinch hit against lefties. The Sox should take a hint from the yankees and release the struggling veteran.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

With rosters expanding on September 1 don't you think that would send a message to the rest of the team that might be a tad negative?  I think this is a non issue.  They will find a way to bury Drew until September then he wont get on the post season roster anyway and gets to retire with some dignity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Too Soon" Return of J.D. Drew : With rosters expanding on September 1 don't you think that would send a message to the rest of the team that might be a tad negative?  I think this is a non issue.  They will find a way to bury Drew until September then he wont get on the post season roster anyway and gets to retire with some dignity.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  totally agree, they wont do him "wrong"  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to The "Too Soon" Return of J.D. Drew:
    [QUOTE]I was hoping that Drew wouldn't return until after September 1 due to roster expansion and the decision on the current roster.  If he indeed goes on a rehab assignment shortly (4-7 days max), he will return some time around the 17th of August. If that is the case, what player goes to Pawtucket, if they even have the options? It seems like one of two players: Darnell McDonald Mike Aviles Thoughts?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Drew should sit out for a bit longer, Reddick is doing just fine.  I do want a healthy J.D. in the playoffs but we don't need him now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

[QUOTE]I still think he wont be back until after 9/1/11. Which would be ideal, They will find a way to keep him down "rehabing" until 9/1.   Yeah, or just release him, but that would come across as "dirty" i think. He is done.  IMO
    Posted by Medic87[/QUOTE]

the only thing 'dirty' was that nancy never returned any of the 70 million she never earned.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I agree with all of the posts that not bringing him back until September 1 is the best move, but if he starts a rehab assignment shortly, I believe that timeframe is limited and they can't keep him 'burried' at AAA until 9/1.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

BLOOD

BOILING

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Any return is too soon for me, but clearly the Sox will let this guy play out his career this year with the team. Whether it's McDonald who is sent down or not, they just have to have somebody who can pinch run in a tight situation and that is not JD Drew.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Don't count out McDonald just yet. He serves a few purposes, and one is as a pinch runner late in games. He also can be a defensive replacement. Basically, he's a caddy, and I see nothing wrong with that. Drew cannot caddy, something that Bobby Valentine made some idiotic remarks that Drew could "pinch run, and be that defensive replacement." Not in my mind. He's a lot slower now, and cannot touch McDonald as a pinch runner. I don't know the right way to end Drew's run here, but I think they should tell him he is not in their plans for the rest of the season. Call it a release or whatever, but I don't think the Sox miss him...at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Jed Lowrie in right field. There's your right-handed hitter. I'd say he could do well there

Lowrie is an error machine who cant hardly run the bases without falling down. Slow and uncoordinated and much less capable of playing the OF than Youk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

[QUOTE]Jed Lowrie in right field. There's your right-handed hitter. I'd say he could do well there Lowrie is an error machine who cant hardly run the bases without falling down. Slow and uncoordinated and much less capable of playing the OF than Youk.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

softy has spoken from his own personal planet called HISANUS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Surprised by the love for DMac.  He's a marginal fielder who isn't hitting his weight.  While he is a viable pinch runner for Papi or Adrian, he is not a real speedster.  For the last 2 weeks of Aug I would rather have JD's glove to supplement a platoon of Reddick and Aviles in right.  If his bat heats up, so much the better.  In Sept, you can get DMac back for the rare PR duty, or better yet, Kalish if he's healthy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

phx, it's not so much love as it is that he is more suitable for caddy work than a proud vet like JD. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the rest of the team would be OK with cutting Drew.

Drew has been given every opportunity to find his game.  He's done.  Everyone knows he's done.  He even knows he's done.  If they cut him, he still gets his money.  It's not like he has anything to gain by staying on the team.

It's not fair to the rest of the team to keep him.  They are trying to win a WS.  If a guy can't help, then he is hurting the team.

It's not fair to guys like Pedroia, Agon, Youk, Ells, etc.  These guys may never be in this situation again.  Drew has his WS ring.  It's time to set sentiment aside and give Drew his walking papers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Dirty...i agree.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]I think the rest of the team would be OK with cutting Drew. Drew has been given every opportunity to find his game.  He's done.  Everyone knows he's done.  He even knows he's done.  If they cut him, he still gets his money.  It's not like he has anything to gain by staying on the team. It's not fair to the rest of the team to keep him.  They are trying to win a WS.  If a guy can't help, then he is hurting the team. It's not fair to guys like Pedroia, Agon, Youk, Ells, etc.  These guys may never be in this situation again.  Drew has his WS ring.  It's time to set sentiment aside and give Drew his walking papers.

And he will still get his ring and a Share of the World series purse this season !! LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

[QUOTE]I think the rest of the team would be OK with cutting Drew. Drew has been given every opportunity to find his game.  He's done.  Everyone knows he's done.  He even knows he's done.  If they cut him, he still gets his money.  It's not like he has anything to gain by staying on the team. It's not fair to the rest of the team to keep him.  They are trying to win a WS.  If a guy can't help, then he is hurting the team. It's not fair to guys like Pedroia, Agon, Youk, Ells, etc.  These guys may never be in this situation again.  Drew has his WS ring.  It's time to set sentiment aside and give Drew his walking papers.

instead of 'walking' papers, make it 'running' papers.
    he can't leave soon enough.

Sections
Shortcuts