The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail!

In Response to Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail!:
    [QUOTE]Ellsbury didn't play in 2010, which combined with 2011 collapse does not say anything positive about a young player's durability or leadership.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]
    58, give it up,  just say you made a mistake on Ells & just move on

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommythetulip. Show tommythetulip's posts

Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail!

Trade Theo and Lackey for Carlos Zambrano.  Done.  Make this happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail! : And some players actually lead by example. 32 Homers  105 RBI's .321 BA  .928 OPS I think they call this reverse-pivot leadership...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Thanks harness. He was one of four players (Ellsbury, Scutaro, Pedroia, Aceves) who did anything in September. All of the other players and pitchers fell flat on their face, including Adrian "God didn't want us to win" Gonzalez.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Theo and Lackey for Carlos Zambrano.  Done.  Make this happen.
    Posted by tommythetulip[/QUOTE]

I say make it dempster instead of zambrano.  Theo and lackey for dempster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail! : the prior GM drafted Youk & Lester, & it was Theo who wanted Crawford & Lackey
    Posted by tc25[/QUOTE]

Epstien was responsible for drafting Lester.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Epstien was responsible for drafting Lester.                     

Jon Lester was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the summer of 2002. Epstein was hired in November of 2002. Lester was the result of work from two old Marlin scouts who followed Henry to Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

I think Crawford is proof of who made a mistake. And it isn't me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

You still posting here with that silly misspelled Less Paul name? Just correct it already.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

The Red Sox w/o Manny Ramirez did not win squat. Ramirez
    represented, of course, a strong RH bat. This season, our
    only RH bat who was dependable was Pedroia. Can you imagine
    that...??? The Yanks can put out Jeter, Swisher, Teixeira,
    and A Rod from the RH side. These guys are fairly respectable.
    We put out Pedroia, Youk (injured ), Tek, Salty, McDonald,
    and Scutaro. If we only had signed a good RH bat to replace
    Manny, we might have been in a better position. After all, the
    Yanks take advantage of their short porch for their lefties;
    The Sox braintrust failed miserably to buy players who could
    pound the Green monster. Lowell was an example of this, and
    Bay could have been, but he stunk. The point is, we needed a
    guy like a David Wright.. or a RH version of Reddick. Instead
    we groom lefties like Lars Anderson, Reddick, Kalish,and the
    forgettable JD Drew, who have to try to hit home runs in a
    380 ft. RF. The Yanks have Granderson, Tex, Cano, Swish,
    who can pound the porch. Where are the Sox brains on this
    issue ???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

It's easy to cast aspersionswhen the team failed so abysmally.  His body of work stands for itself.  Maybe someone is better (B Beane) but come on give the guy a break.  As Francona said, it may simply be time and the same may apply to Theo. If he leaves it will be a sad day and unfortunately the harsh cruel reality when human interaction occurs in all business settings.  

I remember the previous ownership going through this when Duquette was landed.  He was the shiny one from afar, the boy wonder, the "why don't we ever get GM's like that" guy.  When we got him, if you read the Gammons hype, he would revamp the farm system and, as they say on radio, make us relevant again.  Several years later the running joke was "Computer voice over ....this is Dan Duquette.....monotone"  Anyone remember?  He was reduced to near idiot status.  

Moving ahead.  Theo is no idiot.  But perhaps it is simply time. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]Epstien was responsible for drafting Lester.                       Jon Lester was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the summer of 2002. Epstein was hired in November of 2002. Lester was the result of work from two old Marlin scouts who followed Henry to Boston.  

Thank you!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

The record over first half has superstar footprints from prior GM. 2008 to 2011 is what InEpstein owns, as he likes to call it. Beckett and Lowell was not his work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]The record over first half has superstar footprints from prior GM. 2008 to 2011 is what InEpstein owns, as he likes to call it. Beckett and Lowell was not his work.

Law's timeline:

2004: Red Sox win World Series, with the stars Theo had NO role in getting.
    2005: Theo blows up team, Sox don't get to World Series.
    2007: Lucchino adds Beckett and Lowell, makes Theo keep Manny. Sox win WS
    2008: Theo regains control, runs Manny out of Boston, fails to address SS mistakes, Varitek, Wakefield, Buchholz, Drew dead weight problems. Sox lose.
    2010: Epstein in full control of Red Sox roster, evident by ZERO postseason wins.
    2011: Epstein still in full control. Guess what happened?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]The record over first half has superstar footprints from prior GM. 2008 to 2011 is what InEpstein owns, as he likes to call it. Beckett and Lowell was not his work.

It's done! Theo is gone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail! : It's done! Theo is gone.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]
    Oh my, really? This is news to meSurprised

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail! : Oh my, really? This is news to me
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Theo Epstein is GONE...so are the Theo Chicks.
    Have fun in Chicago...and try the pizza.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

#1 Problem solved!

InEpstein wrote the book on paying for FA career years and making it the base year, instead of the simply median averages as the basis for FA contract base offers. A member of the entertainment closed door club who has zero baseball background as a coach or a player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]#1 Problem solved! InEpstein wrote the book on paying for FA career years and making it the base year, instead of the simply median averages as the basis for FA contract base offers. A member of the entertainment closed door club who has zero baseball background as a coach or a player.

So true!

Army Strong

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

But Theo could have done worser job in the past four years.  He was close to trade Ellsbury two to three years ago as well he was close to trade Lester for Santana of Minnesota or other talent busted player!!

Well, I am sure the next Boston's GM will do a fine job!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]But Theo could have done worser job in the past four years.  He was close to trade Ellsbury two to three years ago as well he was close to trade Lester for Santana of Minnesota or other talent busted player!! Well, I am sure the next Boston's GM will do a fine job!!
    Posted by 4079efa6860279c229d23166fa17dfda[/QUOTE]

If Theo had traded Ellsbury and Buchholz to Minnesota for Johan Santana, the Red Sox would have had the BEST PITCHER IN MLB IN 2008 for an entire season and postseason.

Remember the 2008 ALCS? Sox tossed in 7 because we had to wheel Wakefield out to pitch, Beckett was being Beckett and Jon Lester wasn't 100%?

Imagine having Johan Santana, who led MLB in innings pitched and strikeouts in 2008 for two starts in the ALCS? With Manny and Ortiz in that lineup? Remember Manny batted .500 the 2nd half of 2008...

Theo BLEW the chance for the Red Sox to have a third WS title.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Remember this as Theo walks out the door:

He is not the worst GM Boston has ever seen, he is not a genius. Let us thank him for the moves he made that helped us win in 2004 and 2007, but let us also remember that not all those players were here because of him. Duquette created the nucleus of 2004, Theo added some gritty players that made it all possible. Both deserve credit.

But , what I find disturbing in this post 2004 championship world is how it seems almost every player, coach, manager, and now GM leaves this team under a black cloud of controversy and a heap of bad feelings.

Can't we just understand that no one is born into the organization, not many people in pro sports stay "married" to one organization their whole careers and not every big name who leaves the Red Sox has to leave as a villian....Nomar, Manny, Damon, Tito, Pedro, Lowe....and now Theo.

Thanks Theo, for trying your best. Now someone else will have a chance. Be assured that your years as GM of the Red Sox will be the measuring stick for future GM's for years to come. If the next guy wins 3 championships in a shorter time, you will be judged a failure or a clown, if the next guy wins fewer championships , you will retain your stature as a boy genius. Some how, I think history will treat you kindly as I don't see anyone winning 3 championships in less than 9 years in any sport, in any league in today's pro sports.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

Not so fast Zillagod!

The players that left Boston under a Black cloud? Theo created that cloud.
    No way you're going to make Theo Epstein a martyr here.

Epstein cost the Red Sox SIX WS titles the last decade with his Wily Mo Pena sized blunders.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Not so fast Zillagod! The players that left Boston under a Black cloud? Theo created that cloud. No way you're going to make Theo Epstein a martyr here. Epstein cost the Red Sox SIX WS titles the last decade with his Wily Mo Pena sized blunders.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

The media created that black cloud, as they always do.

It's their job to make us angry. If the world was perfect no one would read their nonsense....humans love to read bad news, good news doesn't sell. Refer to song by Don Henly...'Dirty Laundry.'

I am not a Theo lover, but I can cut him some slack , because I remember the GM who allowed Carlton Fisk to finish his career ( and play more years) in Chicago....the absolute worst move in modern Red Sox history, this likely cost us championship in 1986.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Well put, Zilla, I echo your sentiment. I never got too excited about defending or attacking Theo. He had his moments both good and bad. I think he was too hyped from the start, and could never live up to that hype in the long run. He made a gutsy move trading Nomar, the Sox won it all, and he got saddled with the "boy genius" label. When you start off on such a high, there is nowhere to go but downhill. Same goes for Tito, too. We should thank them for the good times, but realize nothing good ever lasts. After the team's epic collapse, some house cleaning is needed. No guarantee the future will be any better

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Audacity of MS Media on Epstein Choosing his GM Job: Epstein needs to be run out of town on a rail! : The media created that black cloud, as they always do. It's their job to make us angry. If the world was perfect no one would read their nonsense....humans love to read bad news, good news doesn't sell. Refer to song by Don Henly...'Dirty Laundry.' I am not a Theo lover, but I can cut him some slack , because I remember the GM who allowed Carlton Fisk to finish his career ( and play more years) in Chicago....the absolute worst move in modern Red Sox history, this likely cost us championship in 1986.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I can't cut Theo slack.
    This is Boston.
    We finally get into the World Series after the legendary, all-time punk job on the New York Yankees...finally over the hump and Theo goes bull in the china shop on the 2004 roster. That team was already set for another WS title run!

Lucchino steps in rebuilds/reloads and the Sox win in 2007, then Theo blows the Johan Santana deal, runs Manny to the Dodgers where he hits .500 the rest of the way, and the best hitter in MLB the second half and the best pitcher in MLB in 2008 aren't in Boston when we needed them for the 2008 ALCS that we lost in 7 games because we ran out of pitching and the offense sputtered without its engine.

Those 2 WS titles would have given the Red Sox FOUR World Series titles from 2004-2008. A dynasty. What would a Red Sox dynasty have meant during the Teixiera negotiations? What would a Red Sox dynasty have meant to negotiations for Roy Halladay?

Epstein gets an epic fail for taking a WS title team and racing it to the bottom of the AL.

I've been saying this for years. I'm not mad at the media, most of the Globe sportswriters (Shaughnessy, Mazz) have been quoting me on Theo and the Sox for years now.