The Bard experiment-the latest-Were you in favor of him starting?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: The Bard experiment-the latest-Were you in favor of him starting?

Should have been packaged on July 31st with BECKETT$, ELLESBURY & WHAT EVER ELSE IT TOOK FOR A BLOCKBUSTER !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I said it was a bad idea from the beginning. Good idea for NY fans but bad for RSN.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The sox would have been better off either A.) never letting him start or B.) never try to convert him back to a reliever and kept him starting this season.

Capitan Hindsight to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Complete disaster - no idea why they didn't have him stay as a reliever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Never in favor of it. We had already been down that road and it was a disaster. He was perfectly fine where he was, it's about what the team needs not Bard. If he still wanted to be a starter when it came time to be a free agent, let him walk and let some other team go down that road.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I was. Maybe did it backwards. If he converted in AAA, then came up. Instead, he failed,  went down to Pawtucket to work his way back, to where he started. The need dictated the way it was handled, as opposed to the right way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I had no problem with it...Morales successfully did it this year after being a failed starter earlier in his career just like Bard...He had massive control issues and struggled to repeat his delivery...Now he looks great and should have a chance to compete for a rotation spot next ST...So, no, I had no issue with bard trying it again...I didnt work...Move on...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: The Bard experiment-the latest-Were you in favor of him starting?:
    I had no problem with it...Morales successfully did it this year after being a failed starter earlier in his career just like Bard...He had massive control issues and struggled to repeat his delivery...Now he looks great and should have a chance to compete for a rotation spot next ST...So, no, I had no issue with bard trying it again...I didnt work...Move on...
    Posted by southpaw777

I agree.

I was wary on whether or not it was going to work because of his issues in the minors, but players do get better and learn so I figured it was worth a shot. And until that last start, it wasn't a disaster.

He had these starts:

6.2 IP, 1 ER, 
    7 IP, 2 ER, 
    6 IP, 1 ER
    5.1 IP, 2 ER
    5.1 IP, 2 ER

And let's not forget May 8 when he allowed just 3 runs in seven innings before allowing two more w/o any outs in the eighth. To me, that was mismanaging by Bobby V., managing by pitch counts. You have a guy you're trying to convert to a starter. You ease him along. Forget about pitch counts. You got a 7 IP, 3 ER game from him. Take it and don't press your luck this early in the season.

So my point is that he had enough good outings, despite the walks, that gave you hope. He was tetering on going very good or going bad and unfortunately went bad with his control. But it wasn't like he was getting lit up every game.

And remember, he started having issues last year at the end of the season so I'm not sure that his problems are simply because of the switch to being a starter. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: The Bard experiment-the latest-Were you in favor of him starting?:
    Bard lost his confidence when he was demoted to the minors. There was nothing wrong with starting him, where his total season inning had to end earlier than an experienced starter. Instead of moving him to the bottom of the pen, they demoted him to the minors. Another Cherry incompetent move. That list is growing. Starting Aviles, holding on to Ellsbury over last winter, foolishly going status quo over the summer.
    Posted by TrotterNixon

You might be right.  Hopefully, next season will be much better for Bard.  I never thought it was a good idea for him to become a starter.  Demoting him definitely didn't help his confidence. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I was. Maybe did it backwards. If he converted in AAA, then came up. Instead, he failed,  went down to Pawtucket to work his way back, to where he started. The need dictated the way it was handled, as opposed to the right way.
    Posted by J-BAY

I hate to say I told you so............

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm often wrong but occasionally right. On this one, unfortunately, I was right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Those who were right will be awarded a Gold Star and be invited over to Andrew's house for a Whiners Barbecue. BYOE - Bring your own Ego.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Openly critical of the move. I also remember Bobby Valentine was not in favor of it either. Bad move and they might have ruined Bard doing this because they were too cheap to pick up a starter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: The Bard experiment-the latest-Were you in favor of him starting? : I hate to say I told you so............
    Posted by andrewmitch

No, you don't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bard lost his confidence when he was demoted to the minors. There was nothing wrong with starting him, where his total season inning had to end earlier than an experienced starter. Instead of moving him to the bottom of the pen, they demoted him to the minors...

No, no, no. You defended him as a starter even after his poor start. You called 5 ERs in 6 IP "decent", and argued he should continue starting.

Funny how you bashed be for calling Wake's 4 ER in 7 IP "decent" last year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before we got Bailey, I thought Bard was our best choice to be our closer, but once we got Bailey, I was for keeping Bard as one of the leagues best set-up man.

Once again, we made a decision (as with the Youk trade) based on what the player wants, not what was best for the team. The two do not always go hand in hand, and team interests should supercede player interests.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Before we got Bailey, I thought Bard was our best choice to be our closer, but once we got Bailey, I was for keeping Bard as one of the leagues best set-up man. Once again, we made a decision (as with the Youk trade) based on what the player wants, not what was best for the team. The two do not always go hand in hand, and team interests should supercede player interests.
    Posted by moonslav59

"God forbid I am a set-up man again next year" - Daniel "ME ME ME" Bard

----  yeah, God forbid you earn $2 million dollars in 2012 while pitching one inning a game at most while giving your team the best chance for success..God forbid.....

Today, Bard has been quoted as saying he is a reliever and that is where he feels most comfortbale, whilst he still can't get even minor leaguers out.

If this guy is one of our smartest players, we are in a whole lotta trouble.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe he'll get it straight by next spring.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Maybe he'll get it straight by next spring.
    Posted by moonslav59

maybe if he takes his Lithium

i know pike isn't using his so i am sure he'd be willing to share

Sections
Shortcuts