The barking dog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The barking dog

From the Sherlock Holmes short story, "Silver Blaze"--

"Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
    Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
    Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
    Holmes: "That was the curious incident.'"

It's also curious that betterredthandead, formerly softlaw, who has periodically barked at Ellsbury, Wakefield, Lowrie, Francona, Epstein, Crawford, Varitek, and others, has said absolutely nothing about J.D. Drew this season.  

Drew is in a season-long slump which follows a subpar season, so there have been several threads enumerating his faults and even defending him. 

But nary a word from softlaw, who in past years has called his $14M/year salary reasonable for a very good rightfielder and hitter.  Drew, he constantly told us, is the real deal.  And Ellsbury, he would continue, is not.  Last year softlaw railed constantly that Ellsbury was a malingerer for going on the DL.  This year many of us are kind of hoping that Drew would have the good grace to be a malingerer.  Where are those bad hammies when you need them? 

The funny thing is, Drew is still defendable.  He's a little slower in the outfield, but still has the best arm and instincts of the five Sox outfielders.  His hitting is way off, but it's still possible that it's a slump and not a permanent condition. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: The barking dog

In Response to The barking dog:
    From the Sherlock Holmes short story, "Silver Blaze"-- "Gregory ( Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?" Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time." Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time." Holmes: "That was the curious incident.'" It's also curious that betterredthandead, formerly softlaw, who has periodically barked at Ellsbury, Wakefield, Lowrie, Francona, Epstein, Crawford, Varitek, and others, has said absolutely nothing about J.D. Drew this season.   Drew is in a season-long slump which follows a subpar season, so there have been several threads enumerating his faults and even defending him.  But nary a word from softlaw, who in past years has called his $14M/year salary reasonable for a very good rightfielder and hitter.  Drew, he constantly told us, is the real deal.  And Ellsbury, he would continue, is not.  Last year softlaw railed constantly that Ellsbury was a malingerer for going on the DL.  This year many of us are kind of hoping that Drew would have the good grace to be a malingerer.  Where are those bad hammies when you need them?  The funny thing is, Drew is still defendable.  He's a little slower in the outfield, but still has the best arm and instincts of the five Sox outfielders.  His hitting is way off, but it's still possible that it's a slump and not a permanent condition. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

There's a tacit agreement on the forum that Softlaw not trespass in andrewmitch's domain while andrewmitch has relinquished bashing rights on Ellsbury and Lowrie.  It's sort of like franchised bashing. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Andrew who???

He seems to be MIA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: The barking dog:
    Andrew who???    He seems to be MIA.
    Posted by SinceYaz

Just look through the Drew threads.  If there's bashing to be done, andrewmitch is like a faithful warrior. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I like this title.
    It's a nice contrast to "The Silent Trigger".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

David Ortiz is two days older than Drew and is hitting up a storm this year.  J.D. is hitting like he is 45, not 35. 

Softy, your bark, if such it is, is worse than your bite.  Try again. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Ortiz is a DH. Drew is an OF'er, and still quite good at it. He's not Barry Bonds. Try again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

My goodness, I had no idea that playing the outfield frees a player from having to contribute to the offense.

So let's try this.  You despise Jason Varitek and maybe would have retired him 2 or 3 years ago, but here he is, still plugging away at age 39.  Drew has 1 more run scored and 3 more rbi's than Varitek--and 73% more at bats (163 to 94) and, of course, a lower OPS.

Are you really saying that at $14M a year--to Varitek's $3M--Drew only needs to contribute defensive skills? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Max, I do believe you just silenced the barking dog...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Max , I do believe you just silenced the barking dog...
    Posted by harness

I don't believe you silence this barking dog.  He just comes back more rabid than before. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Perhaps a nice, meaty Wake bone would do the trick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Are you really saying that at $14M a year--to Varitek's $3M--Drew only needs to contribute defensive skills? 

I'm saying that it's early June and you have too much time on your hands and nothing but space between your ears. Varitek is wooden on defense, and has played about 20 games less than Drew. Varitek has been red hot, only by Varitek standards, yet is still lower that Drew in OBP and is carrying low slugging and OPS numbers just like Drew. The difference is that this is as bad as Drew can do, and it's as good as Varitek can do with a day off every other day.

Drew will retire, because baseball isn't his life and he knows a career of MLB outfielding has taken it's toll and being a 4th OF'er is not the type of character Drew is. Varitek has poor values and his entire life is baseball and chasing whatever moves. When they kick him out of playing MLB his entire world will crumble. What he's chasing will forget his name in hurry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Are you really saying that at $14M a year--to Varitek's $3M--Drew only needs to contribute defensive skills?  I'm saying that it's early June and you have too much time on your hands and nothing but space between your ears. Varitek is wooden on defense, and has played about 20 games less than Drew. Varitek has been red hot, only by Varitek standards, yet is still lower that Drew in OBP and is carrying low slugging and OPS numbers just like Drew. The difference is that this is as bad as Drew can do, and it's as good as Varitek can do with a day off every other day. Drew will retire, because baseball isn't his life and he knows a career of MLB outfielding has taken it's toll and being a 4th OF'er is not the type of character Drew is. Varitek has poor values and his entire life is baseball and chasing whatever moves. When they kick him out of playing MLB his entire world will crumble. What he's chasing will forget his name in hurry.
    Posted by betterredthandead

Perhaps you should teach him how to better spend time.
    ...and not to bully.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Maybe it's because I'm not slowed by BDC bans.
    You are forced to flee.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Neither was Tony Weiner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Finally, betterdead/softlaw and I have something on which we can agree.  Drew wants to retire and Varitek doesn't.  Funny that he assumes Tek is sort of mindless--nothing better to do with his life than play MLB--when he was in fact a terrific student and got a four year degree in management from Georgia Tech. 

Me, I would have given a lot to play baseball at that level and can understand why it's hard for any player to retire.  Ted Williams, another outfielder but probably not as good as J.D.Drew, played into his 40's.  And, if you ask me who would I rather have in the lineup, someone who can't wait to retire or someone who loves the game, I just might go with the latter. 

The facts remain.  Tek is not having a great year and he is four years older than Drew, but he is still more productive as measured by runs scored and rbi's in relation to total at bats. 

I can't leave this discussion without adding that I hope Drew does turn it around because that can only be good for the Red Sox. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Drew has been controversial since he was drafted by the Phillies in 1997. There is absolutely nothing about this season that is going to help his reputation with those that dislike him. Not that he cares.

Sections
Shortcuts