The Baseball Show: "Lackey would be a very acceptable #3 starter!" _ me to tears!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

The Baseball Show: "Lackey would be a very acceptable #3 starter!" _ me to tears!

Have we all lost our Mn Fn minds?  I pray that the FO, GM, LL, & owners are not as desperate as the baseball guru's on tv & half the big baseball "minds" on this board!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: The Baseball Show:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Have we all lost our Mn Fn minds?  I pray that the FO, GM, LL, & owners are not as desperate as the baseball guru's on tv & half the big baseball "minds" on this board!

Well, if you think his 2011 season was the result fo the bad elbow, and expect his 2010 numbers, right now he'd be our ace.  Sobering thought.

It seems to me our best arms are languishing in the pen.  I don't understand why we keep trotting Cook and Matsuzaka out there when we could be getting a look at Mortensen, Tazawa and Aceves as starters. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Like Slomag said, it depends on whether you expect the 2011 lackey or the 2010 Lackey.  I think the 2011 version clearly needed surgery.  I don't know enough about the injury and how well it will heal at age 33/34, but age 34 is not is not ancient for a pitcher.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Well, if you think his 2011 season was the result fo the bad elbow, and expect his 2010 numbers, right now he'd be our ace.  Sobering thought.

It seems to me our best arms are languishing in the pen.  I don't understand why we keep trotting Cook and Matsuzaka out there when we could be getting a look at Mortensen, Tazawa and Aceves as starters. 

I also agree with the second part of your statement.  I'm not seeing any reason whatsoever that we don't have an open competition for the 4/5 slots.  starting dice and Cook gets us nothing, unless we think we can dump one for the last 2 weeks, but even then, I'd prefer to see one or two starts from Mortensen and Tazawa.  Just one more thing I don't understand at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Anybody have confidence that Lackey comes to camp in top physical condition, ready to go, with an air of professionalism?  A mature pitcher?  A leader, IN A GOOD WAY?  A guy the young guns SHOULD look up to?

OR....  A clown who's a hot head on the mound?  The guy who suuucks, but readily shows up the guys behind him, & tries to implicitly blame his pitching wowes on the D?

Yeh!  Let's give it another year or two for an aging, out of shape, fragile, mal-content, who loves to lead the troops down the ssshitter with him!  "MISERY LOVES COMPANY!!!!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I also agree with the second part of your statement.  I'm not seeing any reason whatsoever that we don't have an open competition for the 4/5 slots.  starting dice and Cook gets us nothing, unless we think we can dump one for the last 2 weeks, but even then, I'd prefer to see one or two starts from Mortensen and Tazawa.  Just one more thing I don't understand at all.

I agree since Cook and Dice K are unquestionable gone at the end of the season.   Other than giving those veteran pitchers an opportunity to demonstrate that they may be still be useful to a handful of teams, there is no reason whatsoever to keep giving them the ball.  The Red Sox owe them nothing and the only way to evaluate with little or no experience as starters is to give them a chance to show what they can do.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

May see him pitch before the end of the season according to Remy last night. Said Lackey was reportedly throwing better than he had in years. Time will tell. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Anybody have confidence that Lackey comes to camp in top physical condition, ready to go, with an air of professionalism?  A mature pitcher?  A leader, IN A GOOD WAY?  A guy the young guns SHOULD look up to?

OR....  A clown who's a hot head on the mound?  The guy who suuucks, but readily shows up the guys behind him, & tries to implicitly blame his pitching wowes on the D?

Yeh!  Let's give it another year or two for an aging, out of shape, fragile, mal-content, who loves to lead the troops down the ssshitter with him!  "MISERY LOVES COMPANY!!!!"

I don't have confidence in Lackey, but a bounce-back season wouldn't completely surprise me.  For all we know, the elbow issue started in 2010 - before that he was one of the top pitchers in the league.

I don't have confidence in Buchholz or Lester any more, either, but I have hope for both, and wouldn't be suprised if they were both Cy Young candidates in 2013.

It's hard to know what to expect from this team going forward, but it's not a foregone conclusion in my mind that we're going to be looking in from the outside for years to to come.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:

Do any present or former teammates come out against Mr. Lackey as a good teammate? Just curious.

Nobody is saying he's a bad guy.  Nobody is saying he doesn't try to be a fun "clubhouse guy."  What I AM SAYING is that I don't think he's a good role model in the clubhouse.  I don't think he comes to camp in great shape.  I don't think he's good for the team.  I don't think he's a great competitor or even a good professional.  It may be unfair, but it seems from the minute he stepped into camp, and the media dubbed Lackey, Lester, & Beckett "The Three Horsemen," a frat house atmosphere seems to have developed.  The 3 immediately looked overconfident, and went on to prove being so in ST of that year.  They looked pathetically unprepared, and NOTHING has changed!  Why things got that bad that fast may not be Lackey's fault, but he certainly shared in the blame.  At the very least, he has NOT been a good influence on the startng pitchers.  When he started going south that first season with the Sox, it seemed to me he wanted company, & took on a F the fans mentality!  Just my perception, but I don't think I'm far off. 

If everybody thinks he will be a decent #3, we should have no trouble moving him, considering the free final year factored in.  $10M / yr. for a good #3, we should have all kinds of takers???  We'll see.  I hope the Sox take up one of these many suiters!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy comment:

None of us are flies on the clubhouse or dugout walls and are privy to such wild speculations. We just read what columnists have a license to say since they are compensated to have opinions whether credible or not.

While much of what I said is "speculation," it's based on what I watched go on since The ST of 2010.  Sure, there's a lot of reading between the lines, but there was plenty to observe.  Lackey has hardly been all about the team WINNING.  Having a good time.  Drinking beer with the guys.  Buying young guys dinner.  Picking up the bar tabs.  Hanging out & goofing around in the clubhouse.....  He does seem good at that. 

Inspiring winning baseball???  Hardly!  There is absolutely ZERO case to be made for that!  Drinking during games last September???  Doesn't really inspire a winning baseball mentality.  A serious air of professionalism??  Does it?  Hanging a bottle opener between Beckett & his locker to tweak the media?  Two ffisting it in the clubhouse?  Nothing says winning BASEBALL like that!

So......  Wild speculation???  OR...  drawing conclusions?  Inferential comprehension?  Discernment?  Making reasonable judgements based on a set of facts?  you tell me

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let's just say this...  I believe it when the guys all say they like Lackey!  I'm sure he's a nice & "FUN" guy.  No problem with that.  That actually can help a team.  BUT!  If you're not also a bballs to the wall competitor, it doesn't mean jack! 

All I'm saying is that there is simply TOO MUCH out there pointing toward Lackey being a part of the problem with the SR's complete collapse to take a chance on keeping him.  If the guy is as good as some think, we should be able to deal him for a fair return! 

WE NEED A COMPLETE CHANGE on this team, & it starts with the SR!  Lackey should absolutely NOT be a part of the rebuilding.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:

Tomase interviewed the players on the team and Lackey seemed to be very likeable and respected by all of them. Did the cast of other media who bash Lackey repeatedly ever interview the players to get their facts? Did the talk radio jocks and callers have statements from the players to back up their opinions? Lackey pitched poorly because he was injured and had personal problems. The jury isn't in yet on Lackey.

What the hell does this have to do with anything I've said.  I could give a rat's arss what radio guys say!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Tomase interviewed the players on the team and Lackey seemed to be very likeable and respected by all of them. Did the cast of other media who bash Lackey repeatedly ever interview the players to get their facts? Did the talk radio jocks and callers have statements from the players to back up their opinions? Lackey pitched poorly because he was injured and had personal problems. The jury isn't in yet on Lackey.

What the hell does this have to do with anything I've said.  I could give a rat's arss what radio guys say!

RSDD, Fenwayjimmy is a nyy poster. Best to ignore. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

What are your opinions on Lackey's "lack of integrity" based on. They must be based on the media since you do not live in the dugout or clubhouse. That is why your opinions IMO are pure speculation. It has nothing to do with whether I am a Yankee, Boston, TB, or Baltimore fan. I am just trying to be logical here.

Pretty telling....  I never once used the phrase "lack of integrity."  Not once!

What specifically, the I SAID (quote me), do you disagree with.  I used facts, & then drew some conclusions.  On my own.  I based nothing that I said on anything other than facts that have been reported ten ways to Sunday, then drew some of my own conclusions.  MOST of my conclusions were based on what I saw when he came here that first ST.  He was not in shape, & it never got any better.  The "injury," was either pre-existing, or from lack of training IMO.  btw....  before Boston, he pitched in the worst hitting ALW...  He never was what was billed to us.  Not his fault.  His actions since arriving in Boston speak for themselves.

What SPECIFICALLY do you disagree with....  THAT I SAID?  Not this amorphous talk radio that you seem to know very well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I actually prefer not seeing Tazawa start.  Why risk his arm?  Mortenson could start, I suppose.

Morales and Doubront should be on 1 inning limits in the pen...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OK...  So I just watched the clips of Lackey's bullpen side session.  He really looked good.  bobby v talking about him being in the weight room before & after games.  Being "really impressed with how hard he works out," was certainly reassuring.  That explains why Lackey was only sporting a small beer gut.  :)  Plus, with little bobby v's finger on the pulse of this team, his comments about Lackey are a no miss!

All kidding aside.....  Even I was impressed.  Only 1 homerun in 16 pitches.  As Bill Murry would say, "baby steps...."  No no no!!!   Really!  He actually did look a lot better than I expected, & I really mean it!  That's the best I can muster right now.  We had a very tough break up & I guess I'm not quite over it.   :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

Reply:

Bobby said last night, as he has said other nights, it's pretty discouraging having to play from behind every game. There is one way to remedy the situation; don't start people that will not be on the team next year that are the prime culprits. You got rid of one, Beckett, now V you need to try Aceves, Tazawa and perhaps Mort in the rotation and bring Cook and Dice in if the game gets out of hand.

To me the Jeckyl and Hyde guy is Melancon--he can look brilliant one game then nothing for two. He could be the answer for some team--I don't know if it's the Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts