The Baseball Show: "Lackey would be a very acceptable #3 starter!" _ me to tears!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: The Baseball Show:

Let's just say this...  I believe it when the guys all say they like Lackey!  I'm sure he's a nice & "FUN" guy.  No problem with that.  That actually can help a team.  BUT!  If you're not also a bballs to the wall competitor, it doesn't mean jack! 

Lackey has always had a reputation for being hyper-competitive, just not skinny.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

May see him pitch before the end of the season according to Remy last night. Said Lackey was reportedly throwing better than he had in years. Time will tell. 

I also heard this.  He couldn't be much worse than many of the pitchers have been recently.  They are losing most of their games anyway so why not give Lackey a chance.  If he is ready why not let him pitch a few innings for a few games. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

May see him pitch before the end of the season according to Remy last night. Said Lackey was reportedly throwing better than he had in years. Time will tell. 

I also heard this.  He couldn't be much worse than many of the pitchers have been recently.  They are losing most of their games anyway so why not give Lackey a chance.  If he is ready why not let him pitch a few innings for a few games. 

[/QUOTE]

That's why I don't even pay attention to these reports.  Throw him into the mix for the 4/5 slots.  If he pitches great, great.  If not, it won't be much worse than what it is now.  There isn't much of a reason not to give him a shot and hope for the best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

This sounds exactly like the situation with Dice-K.  Many on this board were equally hopeful about his return.  "He couldn't be worse than what we have!"  REALLY!  I said the same thing about Dice.  It's hard to argue that Lackey would be worse than the guys we've been trotting out there, but that is hardly a ringing endorsement for next year.  I'm absolutely convinced that it would be a major mistake to have him as your number #3, 4, or 5 in 2013!  He is what he is.  At best, I think he's a high 4+ ERA.  I doubt he goes lower than a 5ERA.  Like Dice-K, I think the "injury" is bogus for the most part.  Perhaps there was a minor problem, but I don't think it is the root of Lackey's problem.  I question his work ethic.  I doubt he puts the work in to get back to where he was in 08 / 09.  He's also pitching in the best hitting ALE.  He simply never had what it takes to succeed in this division!!!!

Showcase the guy?  No problem.  It ain't gonna happen by season's end.  Keep talking him up?  Absolutely!!!  Then, deal him in the off-season!!!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:

" If he pitches great, great. If not, it won't be much worse than what it is now. There isn't much of a reason not to give him a shot and hope for the best." 

Yes most fans on this forum would hope for the best but then the forum always has that minority that hopes for the worst. It is their stance / ego that is more important to them. Some just go onto a vendetta fueled by hate against certain players.

If they do not deal Lackey in the off-season, and I hope they do, I'll be pulling for the guy.  When Dice-K came back, I was pulling for the guy.  What else can you do.  Sure, there are guys like Softy, who will bludgeon a guy irrespective of how well he is doing.  If Lackey comes back, IN SHAPE, READY TO GO at the beginning of ST, I'll be cheering him on.  If he comes back out of shape, not ready to go, starts getting shelled in ST, as I suspect he will, I won't exactly be a happy camper.  Putting aside his pitching, I simply believe he is a big part of the problem with a very immature SR & pitching staff.  His mound composure is emblematic of the b itching & moaning that had gone viral with this SR!  One guy on this thread talked about what a competitor he is???  Getting ticked off on the mound & throwing your hands in the air when a guy behind you bobbles a ball or doesn't make a spectacular catch to bail you out is not the stuff that inspires the guys behind you!  We need our starters to "bare down" when the going gets tough, not lose composure.  Lackey is the poster child for the latter!  This SR desperately needs a leader, & Lackey most certainly is not the guy I want younger pitchers looking up to!!!!

Clearly, I would deal him ASAP!  If he's back, I'll pull for the guy!  As I've always said, "a guy might be an A-HHOLE, but he's our A-HHOLE.  You still pull for ALL OUR GUYS once they hit the field!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

What do you guys think about giving either Drake Britton or Stolmy Pimentel or both a start this year? they're both on the 40-man roster...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since we will likely not seriously compete in 2013, what's the issue here? Lackey will be in the rotation, and he has a history of being a pretty good starter for 5 or so years. There is certainly a good chance he can regain his form.

The guy was pitching hurt in 2011, so thinking that is the real Lackey is not really fair.

I'm not predicting great things for John, but he can help us over the next 3 years of team control.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Lackey pitched well to very well for years through 2009.  When he signed with the Sox he obviously had a problem with his elbow as the Sox inserted a specific TJ clause.  It deteriorated until his surgery last year.

Why is it so unreasonable to expect the guy to bounce back to being a decent nbr 3 starter?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Since we will likely not seriously compete in 2013, what's the issue here? Lackey will be in the rotation, and he has a history of being a pretty good starter for 5 or so years. There is certainly a good chance he can regain his form.

The guy was pitching hurt in 2011, so thinking that is the real Lackey is not really fair.

I'm not predicting great things for John, but he can help us over the next 3 years of team control.

He could help us out as a decent #4, more likely #5, but I personally think he does more to lead this rotation astray.  Just my impression.  If he's back, I hope you're right about him getting back to some semblance of his earlier form.  If he could keep his ERA near 4, I would be tickled pink.  I might even start wearing a pink Lackey hat.

I honestly think the Sox need to make a clean sweep.  Get rid of ALL question marks!!!  Anybody close to the margins of questionable work ethic & seriousness about winning every night.  Use our youth to supplement some new solid second teir guys.  You stick with Lester & Buch, maybe Dubby, but everyone else can be dealt.  I really think keeping Lackey around Lester & Buch is too big a risk!!!  I have no doubt that he "COULD" help round out our rotation as a very good #5 with his pitching skills, IF HE CAME TO CAMP READY TO ROLL!  I just don't see it happening. 

We simply HAVE TO change the culture of the starting rotation!  All about business!  More detailed breakdown of opposing lineups, a la Schilling!  When's the last time you've seen Lackey, or anybody for that matter, pouring over the line-up as Schill was want to do???  The catchers & pitching coach don't seem to be helping on that score either!  WE NEED A VETERAN LEADER for this SR!  If Lackey has the potential many of you are convinced he has, then other teams are going to want him???  RIGHT? 

I'm just affraid that many of you have been so beaten down by the starting pitching since the big trade that you are desperate about next year?  Back to the future!?!  WRONG!  It's time for BIG CHANGE!  The Sox can now afford to eat 1/3 of this contract~!  With the bargain final year that should make Lackey pretty attractive according to you!  GET IT DONE, & MOVE ON!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He could help us out as a decent #4, more likely #5, but I personally think he does more to lead this rotation astray.  Just my impression.  If he's back, I hope you're right about him getting back to some semblance of his earlier form.  If he could keep his ERA near 4, I would be tickled pink.  I might even start wearing a pink Lackey hat.

I honestly think the Sox need to make a clean sweep.  Get rid of ALL question marks!!!  Anybody close to the margins of questionable work ethic & seriousness about winning every night.  Use our youth to supplement some new solid second teir guys.  You stick with Lester & Buch, maybe Dubby, but everyone else can be dealt.  I really think keeping Lackey around Lester & Buch is too big a risk!!!  I have no doubt that he "COULD" help round out our rotation as a very good #5 with his pitching skills, IF HE CAME TO CAMP READY TO ROLL!  I just don't see it happening. 

We simply HAVE TO change the culture of the starting rotation!  All about business!  More detailed breakdown of opposing lineups, a la Schilling!  When's the last time you've seen Lackey, or anybody for that matter, pouring over the line-up as Schill was want to do???  The catchers & pitching coach don't seem to be helping on that score either!  WE NEED A VETERAN LEADER for this SR!  If Lackey has the potential many of you are convinced he has, then other teams are going to want him???  RIGHT? 

I'm just affraid that many of you have been so beaten down by the starting pitching since the big trade that you are desperate about next year?  Back to the future!?!  WRONG!  It's time for BIG CHANGE!  The Sox can now afford to eat 1/3 of this contract~!  With the bargain final year that should make Lackey pretty attractive according to you!  GET IT DONE, & MOVE ON!!!!