The bench -_-;;

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

The bench -_-;;

So.....  With Lowrie and Crawford on the DL and Drew under-performing, the bench gets to work.  And work it is....  to watch it anyway.  The results have been abysmal.  So far the bench has been struggling merely to reach a state that would be called unacceptable.  So what are the options?  And please, no DFA the entire team, or drag someone out to be shot, let's stick with viable options.  The Sox do have some depth in the minors, but do they pull them up to make spot starts instead of playing regular time in the minors?  Do we wait for Lowrie and Crawford to get back?  Even so, wouldn't the bench still ruin us in the end?  Is there a trade needed?  I'm hoping for some nice ideas here (I won't hold my breath however :D).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: The bench -_-;;

The thing is, the bench is never the guys you want to have to count on.

Sox fans scream and cry for a presentable lineup on the bench that mirrors their fantasy team, but there is no reality in that.  Players good enough to start find places where they will start....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Yes.  I am aware that the bench is undesirables overall, but right now they are being relied upon.  And with Pedey coming off surgery and that screw still in his foot, and Drew underperforming (as well as the normal injuries that happen over the course of the season), who says they won't be needed like this or more in the future.  So, are there options?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

We need Crawford back. That would solve a lot of problems.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

DFA THE ENTIRE TEAM

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm not concerned about the bench. If there's one thing that Theo has been very good at is looking during the first half of the season, see what the team needs then in July or early August, make a move to fill the need, whether it's trading for a guy (Doug M., Cabrera, Gonzalez, V-Mart) or bringing up a guy who helps (Lowrie, Ellsbury).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In Response to Re: The bench -_-;;:
    We need Crawford back. That would solve a lot of problems.
    Posted by carnie

I am completely in agreement with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Yes.  I am aware that the bench is undesirables overall, but right now they are being relied upon.  And with Pedey coming off surgery and that screw still in his foot, and Drew underperforming (as well as the normal injuries that happen over the course of the season), who says they won't be needed like this or more in the future.  So, are there options?
    Posted by HankukSox
    Not a lot of good ones I think. Reddick seems to be a pretty good option. Kalish would be a better option, but he's hurt too. Anyone we could trade for would almost definitely cost more than he was worth. I think we have to grin and bare it for awhile. It would definitely help if Papi could start a few games. I guess that makes me a Gonzo in RF fan LOL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I'm not concerned about the bench. If there's one thing that Theo has been very good at is looking during the first half of the season, see what the team needs then in July or early August, make a move to fill the need, whether it's trading for a guy (Doug M., Cabrera, Gonzalez, V-Mart) or bringing up a guy who helps (Lowrie, Ellsbury).
    Posted by royf19

I agree, that has been a strong point of Theo.  That gets more towards what I am asking.  What should he do?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

JEFF FRANCOUER AND MELKY CABAREA IN KANSAS CITY

DO IT

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think he already has the guy on the ML roster we will really need off the bench in Reddick. I think once Crawford comes back DMac goes back to AAA. I also think that at some point this season we'll see a lot more out of Cam than we're seeing now. Probably Sutton is our UIF, unless Lowrie can come back quickly. Right now we're really missing Big Papi's bat, as well as Crawford in the 6 hole. I don't think there any easy fixes for either of those problems.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

Cameron $7 million... Drew $14 million... Ronald McDonald $2 million... Cindy Crawford $15 million... ( on the DL ) Grand Ma Moses " blind folded " could play better!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I think he already has the guy on the ML roster we will really need off the bench in Reddick. I think once Crawford comes back DMac goes back to AAA. I also think that at some point this season we'll see a lot more out of Cam than we're seeing now. Probably Sutton is our UIF, unless Lowrie can come back quickly. Right now we're really missing Big Papi's bat, as well as Crawford in the 6 hole. I don't think there any easy fixes for either of those problems.
    Posted by carnie

Generally that seems to make sense.  Cameron was never a strong hitter, but always a fairly good hitter (I liked him back in his Seattle days because he was well-balanced and still hold hope that he will turn it around this season.)  At this point it looks like you are thinking what I am thinking, make it to roster expansion and then let it should be fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Not much choice I think. I don't see many bench players out there that are better than what we already have. Once we get our starters back I think we'll be fine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: The bench -_-;; : Not a lot of good ones I think. Reddick seems to be a pretty good option. Kalish would be a better option, but he's hurt too. Anyone we could trade for would almost definitely cost more than he was worth. I think we have to grin and bare it for awhile. It would definitely help if Papi could start a few games. I guess that makes me a Gonzo in RF fan LOL.
    Posted by carnie

Highly debatable. I think Reddick is closer to the M.L.level, injuries aside.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: The bench -_-;; : Highly debatable. I think Reddick is closer to the M.L.level, injuries aside.
    Posted by harness
    He has been swinging the bat well lately, and I like his arm a lot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Never bought into the Kalish/Iggy hyperbole.
    They are good prospects, but Reddick/Navarro are borderline ready.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Never bought into the Kalish/Iggy hyperbole. They are good prospects, but Reddick/Navarro are borderline ready.
    Posted by harness
    It's too bad Yamaico got hurt. He could have really helped a lot this year. I'll say the same thing about Linares, He seems to be a good defensive outfielder who swings a mean bat. I do buy into the hype about Iglesias though, although the hype surrounding him seems to be mainly about his defense. I, for one, would gladly take a Mark Belanger clone at Short.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I didn't see any Belanger in IGGY in his short stay. And his bat looks pathetic at this point.

Last I heard, Navarro is playing again and trying to pick up where he left off.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I didn't see any Belanger in IGGY in his short stay. And his bat looks pathetic at this point. Last I heard, Navarro is playing again and trying to pick up where he left off.
    Posted by harness
    He's at Lowell or Greenville isn't he?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Navarro is at Pawtucket. His current numbers:

.270 BA  .382 OBP  .895 OPS

He was hitting even better before his injury. He's a LT .280 hitter in 6 minor league seasons. Has good range, is versatile and has a great arm.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Might be time to bring him up and send DMac down.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Being Navaro is a short stop by trade, I'd think Drew Sutton is the likely demotion. With Cam/Drew aging out and CC on the DL, I don't the team would want to lose another outfielder.

Reddick should have hit 5th tonight. Drew is Tito's loyalty personified. He is blocking Reddick and this will become a real issue once CC returns.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Crawford's .275 OBP has been really missed.

The problem isn't the bench, it's how the bench is used. Cameron and Mac don't play enough, and they don't belong in the 5 spot when they do play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Being Navaro is a short stop by trade, I'd think Drew Sutton is the likely demotion. With Cam/Drew aging out and CC on the DL, I don't the team would want to lose another outfielder. Reddick should have hit 5th tonight. Drew is Tito's loyalty personified. He is blocking Reddick and this will become a real issue once CC returns.
    Posted by harness
    I thought Navarro had been playing some outfield as well. With his arm, it seems like a natural position for him.

Sections
Shortcuts