The bench -_-;;

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: The bench -_-;;

In Response to Re: The bench -_-;;:
    [QUOTE]I'm not concerned about the bench. If there's one thing that Theo has been very good at is looking during the first half of the season, see what the team needs then in July or early August, make a move to fill the need, whether it's trading for a guy (Doug M., Cabrera, Gonzalez, V-Mart) or bringing up a guy who helps (Lowrie, Ellsbury).
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Dave Roberts, Doug Mientkiewicz, Ellsbury (2007), Bobby Kielty, and Mark Kotsay were all late season acquisitions or callups that became bench players that contributed to either late season runs or postseason success.  None of them, with the exception of Ellsbury, were on RSN fan radar midseason.  Heck, the 2004 Red Sox were still messin with Cesar Crespo in June.  The point taken is that it's not a static situation and it's still early. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford's .275 OBP has been really missed. The problem isn't the bench, it's how the bench is used. Cameron and Mac don't play enough, and they don't belong in the 5 spot when they do play.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]I don't agree with you often, but I agree with that. Especially concerning Cam. DMac, I think, is basically a AAAA ballplayer, but I think Cam is having a hard time adjusting to being a platoon player. Then again, maybe he's done, but he still looks like a physically fit baseball player to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The bench -_-;; : I don't agree with you often, but I agree with that. Especially concerning Cam. DMac, I think, is basically a AAAA ballplayer, but I think Cam is having a hard time adjusting to being a platoon player. Then again, maybe he's done, but he still looks like a physically fit baseball player to me.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Hall is very athletic and physically fit. He's also looking for a job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The bench -_-;; : Hall is very athletic and physically fit. He's also looking for a job.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]He might look pretty good in Sutton's spot. There is no breaking point. We are the Boston Red Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

When Lowrie returns, Hall would again be out of a job. He's through.
    Navarro should be the one to replace Sutton. And I'll bet he might just replace Scut in 2012.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Hall is very athletic and physically fit. He's also looking for a job.

Hall is on the active roster of the defending world champion Giants. Lowrie is not fit and is making excuses why he has another tingle. Harness won't look for a job because he votes for Obama's promise of continued redistribution funded entitlements.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]When Lowrie returns, Hall would again be out of a job. He's through. Navarro should be the one to replace Sutton. And I'll bet he might just replace Scut in 2012.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]I really like Navarro. He looked great in ST this year. But if Hall has no job, why not bring him back for a week or two?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Hall is very athletic and physically fit. He's also looking for a job. Hall is on the active roster of the defending world champion Giants. Lowrie is not fit and is making excuses why he has another tingle. Harness won't look for a job because he votes for Obama's promise of continued redistribution funded entitlements.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]If you could leave the politics out of it, people might take you more seriously about baseball. JMT.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

If MLB left politics out of the game, people might take MLB more seriously.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Here's why Carnie: Hall in 2011:

167 AB  2 HR  .222 BA  .268 OBP  .603 OPS  lead glove
    Oh, I forgot the all important slugging: .335

Sutton: .297 BA  .316 OBP .802 OPS  .486 SLG  in 37 AB

You think Hall is an upgrade?

I didn't know the Giants took him off the scrap heap. Good for him. He's proving his worth, hitting .200 over 6 games with a whopping .538 OPS.
    Oh, and he's slugging .300. But, like the M's last year, the Astros are picking up the freight cost...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Hall's OBP is .268, which puts him in the class with the great Carl Crawbust.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

3 months into a 7-year deal and you already label CC a bust. Shows UR aptitude.
    He had a rough first month - not unexpected considering the transition and the contractual pressure. Since then, he's been fine. He's produced 52 runs over the last month and a half. Several game winners. OPS appx.790 since the beginning of May. Hardly a "bust".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

He's had more than a rough first month. 20 million into a 142 million deal, a high mileage guy with less than impressive career averages is a bust. Since the beginning of May, 2009, excluding Saturdays with a full moon, Crawford has an OPS of over 1.0.

This board is dominated by the same people who take snipets and ignore career averages, when it suits players they like.

Crawford is what his career averages say he is, and his 2011 performance is what his numbers say it is. Returning near his career averages makes him bust, at 142 M. Theo is an idiot, regardless of whether this team is albe to budget blast a championship.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Career averages are just that: averages. In his case, they include early years where he would have learned his trade in the minors for most other franchises.
    The RedSox bought into his prime, not his early years. Is he the same player now that he was 10 years ago?

He brings intangibles that you are blind to. He creates a tandem with your buddy Jake - and this tandem allows the team another dimension, past the station-to-station slugging that looks great on paper in blowout games, hammering mediocre/crappy pitching.

CRAWBURY impacts close games. And they have dictated team success/failure so far this season.
    April.
    May.
    June.
    The team is now 2-4 since they have been split up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

Harness:
    How do you know if Crawford feels pressure from his contract? ( Unless you know what CC has for breakfast in the morning )

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]The thing is, the bench is never the guys you want to have to count on. Sox fans scream and cry for a presentable lineup on the bench that mirrors their fantasy team, but there is no reality in that.  Players good enough to start find places where they will start....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

We have had good benches in the past; guys like Hinske, Cora , Casey, Olerud, Green, Kotchman, Kotsay, etc.
    We need some veteran bench players who can contribute. Cameron ain't gettin it done!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/2011-red-sox-will-challenge-1927-yankees-for-title-of-greatest-team-in-major-league-history.html

"

Turn to the bench, and manager Terry Francona has plenty of options.

Mike Cameron, OF
    Darnell McDonald, OF
    Marco Scutaro/Jed Lowrie, INF
    Jason Varitek, C

Youth, experience and versatility will ride the pine like lions waiting to hunt. Depth won’t be a problem, especially with players like Ryan Kalish, Lars Anderson and Josh Reddick on the farm.

"