The Big Middlebrooks Question!?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

The Big Middlebrooks Question!?!

If you're BC & JF what do you do?

I think the big question is .....  Do you keep Middy as a 3rd baseman?  I say NO!  I don't see him ever becoming a guy who can adequately man 3rd base.  He simply doesn't have the goods to play the position like you need him to play it here in Boston.  He desperately needs to be turned into a 1st baseman.  I honestly think it's his only option with the Sox.  This of course begs the question as to what to do with Naps?  I re-sign the guy to another 1 year deal, & team him with Middy, after having Middy spend the entire off-season doing nothing else other than playing 1st somewhere?>  ANYWHERE if that's an option.  Can't remember what the contract is with Naps?  I think it was a simple 1 yr. contract?  Not sure if there was a team option to extend, but if so, I pick up the option.  If not, he's going to merit a decent 2 - 3 year contract with somebody making good money...  Do the Sox move on?  Perhaps?    Bogie moves to the full-time SS, & we let Drew walk.  As for 3rd base, I'm not sure.  I suppose we are going to need to pick up a legit 3rd baseman?  Middy becomes the long-term 1st base option after next year.  Not sure if there are any FA 3rd baseman out there?  What Middy really needs is a full season in the minors learning 1st, but I'm not sure if that is even an option?

What say you all?>.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: The Big Middlebrooks Question!?!

He will be "packaged"  !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He will be "packaged"  !!!!

[/QUOTE]

No way is Middy packaged!  The raw power of his bat is way to valuable to pizz away on a package deal.  You make the guy into a 1st baseman, then either use him or deal him for something big.  The Sox need to make the investment in working him at 1st. 

Anybody know if we have the option of giving him time somewhere to learn the position?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I doubt the Red Sox (or many teams) would be satisfied with a firstbaseman who could be challenged to post an on-base percentage above .300 (although Mark Trumbo has steady employment with his career OBP of .299).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt the Red Sox (or many teams) would be satisfied with a firstbaseman who could be challenged to post an on-base percentage above .300 (although Mark Trumbo has steady employment with his career OBP of .299).

[/QUOTE]

I think that assumes he is done improving and will simply flatline at his slump numbers from this season. The kid has to make some real adjustments to his approach, but his raw talent is undeniable. Add to that, he could probably play ++ first base given his athletic ability. 

I agree with the above poster. Get some insurance, but I'd love to see him get a real long tryout at first. 

If he could bring his OBP up to .350, he could be a Justin Morneau in his prime type first baseman, which in the AL is gold. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

if it was up to me...bogaerts would be our 3B and drew would be our SS...middlebrooks be on the bench or minors or part of trade...i'm not giving up on middlebrooks the guy has power and you never know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Looks over matched versus good pitching.  Bogey played the WS games for a reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I've never been a WMB fan, never liked his minor league K/W, or now his MLB K/W, but as overrated as he used to be, he might now be underrated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Middy is well worth salvaging if we move him to 1st.  He has shown a willingness to learn during the season.  With the right teacher, I think the kid can learn a good deal more with respect to plate discipline!  As for playing a good 3rd base, I'm affraid we don't have that type of time.  He's never going to become a good 3rd baseman!  I've said that from the very beginning.  It's time for the  Sox to get him playing 1st somewhere & see if that's an option.  If it's not looking good, then you showcase & deal him down the road.  I think the kid could be a very decent 1st baseman, with the kind of pop most teams would drool over.  He has plenty of room for improvement on the plate discipline, an he will certainly make big improvements with the right coaching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've never been a WMB fan, never liked his minor league K/W, or now his MLB K/W, but as overrated as he used to be, he might now be underrated.

[/QUOTE]

I definitely don't understand the "trade Middlebrooks" brigade.  Not sure why they would consider trading a guy when his stock is down.  My guess is he will be the starting 3rd baseman next year & he'll get a long look.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I definitely don't understand the "trade Middlebrooks" brigade.  Not sure why they would consider trading a guy when his stock is down.  My guess is he will be the starting 3rd baseman next year & he'll get a long look.  

[/QUOTE]

I wanted him traded last season.  He had a .835, with a 5/1+ K/W.  It's hard to maintain that.

But now, with a .696, unless someone wants to trade off of maybe his career stats of .756, there's no point to trading him.

I thinks folks would be better off taking a step back.  If WMB was on another team, and had just finished his first full season, and finished with these stats-

615 ABs, 75 runs, 32 HRs, 103 RBIs, a 7/2 SB/CS, and a .254, the folks in here would be looking to dump JBJ and Cecchini for him, and that's about for certain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

As calculated by BR, the 162-game stats for-

Player A-615 ABs, 75 runs, 32 HRs, 103 RBIs, a 7/2 SB/CS, and a .254

Player B- 579 ABs, 86 Runs, 39 HRs, 97 RBIs, 6/3 SB/CS, and a .265

No doubt B is better, but most folks in here would give up our top 3 prospects for player B.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wanted him traded last season.  He had a .835, with a 5/1+ K/W.  It's hard to maintain that.

But now, with a .696, unless someone wants to trade off of maybe his career stats of .756, there's no point to trading him.

I thinks folks would be better off taking a step back.  If WMB was on another team, and had just finished his first full season, and finished with these stats-

615 ABs, 75 runs, 32 HRs, 103 RBIs, a 7/2 SB/CS, and a .254, the folks in here would be looking to dump JBJ and Cecchini for him, and that's about for certain.

[/QUOTE]

Very true, Joe.  The Sox told anyone who asked that he wasn't available at the deadline & I seriously doubt anything has changed.  I think Drew is going to get at least a 4/40 deal & I think the Sox will let him walk and let Bogaerts play SS.  I'd be very surprised if Napoli isn't back, which means Middlebrooks will be at 3rd.  Obviously anything can happen, and I think Drew is a good fit, but I think the Sox organization would be comfortable with Bogaerts at short. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me, it's more about 3B being Bogey's best landing spot than Middy's chances of improving his OBP or his defensive issues in 2013.

I'd like to have Napoli back, but I'd rather find a solid 5 slot hitter that does not play 1B, so we don't run into the same issues we had playing at NL parks having to sit Papi or Naps. 

I'm fine with giving 1B to the winner of the fight between Middy, Carp, Nava and Papi at NL parks, but only if we can greatly upgrade at some other position (OF seems the easiest to find and acquire). 

We may get that upgrade from Bogey at 3B as 3B was our weakest position last year, but I would not plan on him being our #5 hitter in 2013.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Middy is well worth salvaging if we move him to 1st.  He has shown a willingness to learn during the season.  With the right teacher, I think the kid can learn a good deal more with respect to plate discipline!  As for playing a good 3rd base, I'm affraid we don't have that type of time.  He's never going to become a good 3rd baseman!  I've said that from the very beginning.  It's time for the  Sox to get him playing 1st somewhere & see if that's an option.  If it's not looking good, then you showcase & deal him down the road.  I think the kid could be a very decent 1st baseman, with the kind of pop most teams would drool over.  He has plenty of room for improvement on the plate discipline, an he will certainly make big improvements with the right coaching.

[/QUOTE]

No, he isn't.

The league is full of 1B who hit as well as or better than Middlebrooks, some of whom are not even starting.  The right-handed power is nice, but he does bring almost nothing else to the table offensively.

The problem with saying "he can work on" plate dsiciplne is that it is much easier said than done.  You either know how to recognize a strike or you don't.  Too often when hitters try to learn plate discipline, the end result is they just take more pitches.   Ad this means they either swing at more balls or let more strikes go by, or both.

Rather than squeeze Middlebrooks in at 1B, the smarter movemight be to trade him for a 1B. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

If he could bring his OBP up to .350, he could be a Justin Morneau in his prime type first baseman, which in the AL is gold. 

If Will Middlebrooks could bring his on-base percentage up to a lofty .350, the 25-year-old thirdbaseman would be an outlier of historical propotions based on his on-base percentage from six previous professional seasons.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I say he is going to average 25/80 over the next 5 to 7 seasons. That's all. Nothing wrong with that. A bold prediction on my part. I'd show some stats to demonstrate how I came to this but I don't have any.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that assumes he is done improving and will simply flatline at his slump numbers from this season. The kid has to make some real adjustments to his approach, but his raw talent is undeniable. Add to that, he could probably play ++ first base given his athletic ability. 

I agree with the above poster. Get some insurance, but I'd love to see him get a real long tryout at first. 

If he could bring his OBP up to .350, he could be a Justin Morneau in his prime type first baseman, which in the AL is gold

[/QUOTE]

If he could bring it up to .500 and homer devery other at-bat, he could be the best player ever.  But neither solution appears very likely, and the use of in-scale numbers does not make your hypothesis any more attainable...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

O well, it will all be played out in spring training.  I doubt Middy gets traded or packaged.  he is still the same guy who replaced a very popular youk at third.  His bat needs to be more active but he still logged 15 homers in a season where he saw a few months in the minor league.

Despite what people think about Middy, he is still a very good third baseman.

[/QUOTE]

"very good third baseman"

Not even close.

Sections
Shortcuts