The Big Middlebrooks Question!?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: The Big Middlebrooks Question!?!

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I've never been a WMB fan, never liked his minor league K/W, or now his MLB K/W, but as overrated as he used to be, he might now be underrated.

I definitely don't understand the "trade Middlebrooks" brigade.  Not sure why they would consider trading a guy when his stock is down.  My guess is he will be the starting 3rd baseman next year & he'll get a long look.  

I wanted him traded last season.  He had a .835, with a 5/1+ K/W.  It's hard to maintain that.

But now, with a .696, unless someone wants to trade off of maybe his career stats of .756, there's no point to trading him.

I thinks folks would be better off taking a step back.  If WMB was on another team, and had just finished his first full season, and finished with these stats-

615 ABs, 75 runs, 32 HRs, 103 RBIs, a 7/2 SB/CS, and a .254, the folks in here would be looking to dump JBJ and Cecchini for him, and that's about for certain.

numbers don't tell the whole story with will.  He gets to balls where others don't have a chance.  He never double clutches and seldom pulls the first baseman off the bag.

"gets to balls others don't"

Simply not true.

He has no first step.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

To me, it's more about 3B being Bogey's best landing spot than Middy's chances of improving his OBP or his defensive issues in 2013.

I'd like to have Napoli back, but I'd rather find a solid 5 slot hitter that does not play 1B, so we don't run into the same issues we had playing at NL parks having to sit Papi or Naps. 

I'm fine with giving 1B to the winner of the fight between Middy, Carp, Nava and Papi at NL parks, but only if we can greatly upgrade at some other position (OF seems the easiest to find and acquire). 

We may get that upgrade from Bogey at 3B as 3B was our weakest position last year, but I would not plan on him being our #5 hitter in 2013.

What defensive issues did Middy have in 2013?  For a few weeks before he was sent down, he was making nap stretch a bit, but he never pulled him off the bag. I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

How many plays did Boggie actually make in the post season?  Drew was expanding outside his area on both sides, especially to third.  When Boggie finally got to short he pulled Ortiz off the bag.  As soon as Middy comes in to third, one of the biggest plays of the series goes his way.

Right now I don't see Bogie at third unless Middy is traded and drew stays.

Middy had defensive issues all season long. Perhaps it was just concentration issues or a spill over from his offensive woes, but he was certainly not the same Middy as 2012 in the field.

UZR/150

2012: +2.4 (14th out of 31 3Bmen with 500+ innings at 3B)

2013: -8.3  (22nd our of 29 3Bmen with 500+ innings at 3B)

It's not just my own observations that tell me Middy was struggling in the field.

Yes, Bogaerts strglled at 3B too, but he was out of position, and it is my opinion that Bogey can become a plus fielding 3Bman in a very short time. I could be wrong.

(I am not imlying that Middy can't revert to the plus side either, but his issues concern me greatly.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Out of the 29 MLB 3Bmen with over 1,000 innings at 3B since 2012, Middy places 20th in UZR/150 at -3.1.

That's below Pablo Sandoval.

The only guys he is better than defensively are:

M Young, C Nelso, M Cabrera, T Plouffe, C Johnson, K Youkilis, D Freese, R Zimmerman, & P Alvarez.

I realize UZR/150 is not the be-all-end-all and that Middy was in a funk this year, but he certainly has not been a plus fielder in the majors, so far.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

I doubt the Red Sox (or many teams) would be satisfied with a firstbaseman who could be challenged to post an on-base percentage above .300 (although Mark Trumbo has steady employment with his career OBP of .299).

I think that assumes he is done improving and will simply flatline at his slump numbers from this season. The kid has to make some real adjustments to his approach, but his raw talent is undeniable. Add to that, he could probably play ++ first base given his athletic ability. 

I agree with the above poster. Get some insurance, but I'd love to see him get a real long tryout at first. 

If he could bring his OBP up to .350, he could be a Justin Morneau in his prime type first baseman, which in the AL is gold. 

I doubt WMB will ever be a 350OBP guy. His track record screams 270ish BA 320OBP and 500ish slg. with a ton of K's and 30 bombs. Thats Ok with me. Gotta have a couple free swingers on the team to keep the pitcher on his toes. I think they will give him every opportunity in 2014 to take a firm hold of the 3b job. After that, its anyone guess. WMB right now is about average defensively. He might make a couple nice plays, but hes going to kick a few too. His reaction time to some balls were a little concerning. Especially to his right. Either way, I believe he will be the 3b next year and Xander will, and should be at SS.

IMHO, They should give Lavarnway a 1b mit right now, not Middy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

No way I let Middlebrooks get away in a package deal or even for most of the young talent in Major League baseball at least until he hits free agency unless he gets traded for a true number one type (and kind of younger) starting pitcher or a guy like Mike Trout of the Angels

This guy has much more power than most anyone on the entire Red Sox team including Napoli and probably even Ortiz.  We have all seen him hit rockets out of the park to all fields. His inconsistency is the problem.  His thought process needs to change when at the plate.

The problem with his walk to strike out ratio, his OBP and his average can be corrected if they can get him to begin to believe that a home run to RIGHT field is just as good as a home run to left field combined with getting him not to try to hit a home run on every swing. If he just would hit the ball hard every time up, he will hit plenty of home runs.

With that said, the solution is keeping his head still when he swings, and I am surprised that the Sox hitting coaches do not do a better job of teaching and preaching this skill. 

Many of the Sox hitters (and guys on other teams, too) have this problem and I refer you to Drew, Napoli and Saltalamacchia on the Sox as good examples along with Middlebrooks.

Saltalmacchia had it ("hit the ball in the middle of the field") for a time in the middle of the season, but eventually went back to trying to hit a HR on every swing and regressed considerably at the end of the year to the point that Ross replaced him for a few games in the World Series.

Ortiz, Ellsbury and Pedroia have much less trouble with this skill (begs to ask what are these three guys doing differently in their practice work?) and as a result hit for higher averages, walk more and strike out less.  Ortiz hits home runs, and of course, Ellsbury and Pedroia do not have as much power as Middlebrooks so they will never likely hit as many home runs, but their other stats are better because they "see the ball longer"

Watch any replay of any hitter at any level when he hits the ball hard (line drive single to a home run) and you will see that the head is still and the lead eye is watching the ball right onto the bat.  

I wish I was smart enough to have thought of this originally, but it is in Ted Williams book called "The Science of Hitting". Written in the 1960s I believe.

Maybe John Farrell should buy every player a copy?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I would be happier to have speed and defensive finess on the corners than just raw power. People that didn't strike out so often, that had an extra half-step in getting to balls, that could go deep into pitch counts like Peedy, that could use the entire field to generate hits and runs. If I could get more of this other stuff, I'd gladly trade 15-17 HR in vs the power only 25 HR production.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me, it's more about 3B being Bogey's best landing spot than Middy's chances of improving his OBP or his defensive issues in 2013.

I'd like to have Napoli back, but I'd rather find a solid 5 slot hitter that does not play 1B, so we don't run into the same issues we had playing at NL parks having to sit Papi or Naps. 

I'm fine with giving 1B to the winner of the fight between Middy, Carp, Nava and Papi at NL parks, but only if we can greatly upgrade at some other position (OF seems the easiest to find and acquire). 

We may get that upgrade from Bogey at 3B as 3B was our weakest position last year, but I would not plan on him being our #5 hitter in 2013.

What defensive issues did Middy have in 2013?  For a few weeks before he was sent down, he was making nap stretch a bit, but he never pulled him off the bag. I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

How many plays did Boggie actually make in the post season?  Drew was expanding outside his area on both sides, especially to third.  When Boggie finally got to short he pulled Ortiz off the bag.  As soon as Middy comes in to third, one of the biggest plays of the series goes his way.

Right now I don't see Bogie at third unless Middy is traded and drew stays.

Middy had defensive issues all season long. Perhaps it was just concentration issues or a spill over from his offensive woes, but he was certainly not the same Middy as 2012 in the field.

UZR/150

2012: +2.4 (14th out of 31 3Bmen with 500+ innings at 3B)

2013: -8.3  (22nd our of 29 3Bmen with 500+ innings at 3B)

It's not just my own observations that tell me Middy was struggling in the field.

Yes, Bogaerts strglled at 3B too, but he was out of position, and it is my opinion that Bogey can become a plus fielding 3Bman in a very short time. I could be wrong.

(I am not imlying that Middy can't revert to the plus side either, but his issues concern me greatly.)

I see you posted figures that work against by endorsement of MIddy.  If I were his agent I would break down every play.  I will give you that it appears sometimes that he lacks concentration.  He is not Youk with all the facial expressions, he is a calm collective player.  Boggie is a clam player as well, so hopefully people won't be saying he has concentration issues as well.

My assessment had nothing to do with facial expressions.

I used my own observations, the data given, the obvious dissatisfation from John & Ben, and his own statements.

Middy has not been a plus fielder so far in the bigs.

I don't see his fielding at 3B as a reason not to move Bogey to 3B.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Will Middlebrooks jumped 3 times in the Minors in 1 year. A to AA to AAA.
    Combined that year 23 HRS 94 RBI's batted .285. Thats not easy to do.
    Major Leagues, he'll figure it out. Keep the faith.
    Saw him play Double AA, ball off the bat sounds like a rifle shot. Unique.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Middlebrooks and Carp would probably hit 35 home runs between them in a platoon. I would like Naps back but only if it is at a hometown discount.  I agree though that if that is the situation then there should be an upgrade in the outfield.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

Power is not cheap, and no one is gonna give it away. From What ive seen, Will is the best power hitting prospect in the system, when hes going good hes outstanding, but when hes bad hes awful, but I believe he will bridge the gap a little between the good and bad times. Lets keep in mind a few things,

First off he was coming off a wrist injury

Second, he spent a large chunk of the year hitting down in the order without much protection for his power and Ifeel like that hurt his iimprovement at the plate at least a little. He also was not completely healthy during the course of the season, but for a guy to struggle the way he did, play less then 100 games coming off a broken wrist in just his second big league season and still smack 17 HR is something to consider, theres a reason the sox traded away a perennial gold glove SS but held on to this guy, he needs at least one more good look after a healthy offseason and spring training, his good stretches where awesome, and I think he still has the potential and desire to be a 35 hr franchise player, if we bail on him now, we very well may be very sorry that we did, and trading him coming off a down year is just stupid, hes going to get better, he might get great.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

If you're BC & JF what do you do?

I think the big question is .....  Do you keep Middy as a 3rd baseman?  I say NO!  I don't see him ever becoming a guy who can adequately man 3rd base.  He simply doesn't have the goods to play the position like you need him to play it here in Boston.  He desperately needs to be turned into a 1st baseman.  I honestly think it's his only option with the Sox.  This of course begs the question as to what to do with Naps?  I re-sign the guy to another 1 year deal, & team him with Middy, after having Middy spend the entire off-season doing nothing else other than playing 1st somewhere?>  ANYWHERE if that's an option.  Can't remember what the contract is with Naps?  I think it was a simple 1 yr. contract?  Not sure if there was a team option to extend, but if so, I pick up the option.  If not, he's going to merit a decent 2 - 3 year contract with somebody making good money...  Do the Sox move on?  Perhaps?    Bogie moves to the full-time SS, & we let Drew walk.  As for 3rd base, I'm not sure.  I suppose we are going to need to pick up a legit 3rd baseman?  Middy becomes the long-term 1st base option after next year.  Not sure if there are any FA 3rd baseman out there?  What Middy really needs is a full season in the minors learning 1st, but I'm not sure if that is even an option?

What say you all?>.....

The problem with Boston over the years is that when they do have an above average SS, they let him walk. I'd prefer that the SOX re-sign Drew and allow Bogey to play 3rd. Moving WMB to 1st is doable and a good idea. SOX should shop around for a starting catcher and let Salty go. No. 1 priority is to re-sign Ells. No one in the SOX farm sysytem is close to replacing him and Ells will still give the SOX 5-6 good years. No Ells, no Chance TO REPEAT.

Wrong. Gomes, Vic, Nava, or Nava/Gomes, JBJ, Victorino. Or Nava/Gomes, Victorino, Beltran. You are way over estimating Ellsbury. Yeah, he's good. And yeah I'd lime to have him on the team. But boy, way, way overrating. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

He should be in the minors at 1b to start the season.  If he puts up good numbers and adjusts well to the position he could be insurance at the position (though Naps stayed healthy this season) and/or increase his trade value.  I've never been that high on Middy because of his track record and what I've seen.  We don't need another high K guy either, we have plenty already.  Give me Drew and Bogaerts on the left side and re-sign Naps for a year or two.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Heck If I were a 3B postion player I would want to do my best to learn how to play 1st.  As it turns out Middy will have to do this out of necessity. 3B goes to Xander I wager.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nobody wants to give Middy away for nothing. We realize he has great potential and that potential has great value- perhaps more to a team that can afford to play him everyday at the ML level, until he works out the kinks (if ever).

Believe me, there are several GMs out there that see the same value as many of us do here. They will offer a lot in return for a young corner IF'er who has already shown a  30+ HR/100+ RBI skillset.

We are coming up to a rule 5 crunch, and we will probably lose some decent talent, unless we can make a 2 or 3 for one deal. I'm not sure if Middy is high on the Marlins list, but perhaps Middy could be packaged with Barnes, Webster and Betts to get Stanton.

Maybe this could be our 25 man roster for 2014:

C:  Salty/Ross

DH: Ortiz

1B: Napoli/Carp

2B: Pedroia

3B: Bogaerts

SS: Drew/Ryan

LF: Nava/Gomes

CF: Victorino/JBJ

RF: Stanton

SP: Lester/Buch/Lackey/Doub/Peavy/Demp

RP: Uehara/Breslow/Mujica/Tazawa/Miller/Morales/Workman

1) Victorino

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Stanton

5) Napoli

6) Nava vs RHPs/Gomes vs LHPs

7) Bogaerts

8) Salty vs RHPs/Drew vs LHPs

9) Drew vs RHPs/Ross Vs LHPs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what they're worth, here are minor league stats for four thirdbasemen* -- Will Middlebrooks, Jedd Gyorko, Mike Moustakas and Mike Olt -- born during a 40-day period in 1988:

WM 1902 PA, .275/.332/.455/.788, 144 BB (7.6%), 487 K (25.6%)

JG 1510 PA, .321/.386/.530/.916, 143 BB (9.5%), 267 K (17.7%)

MM 1910 PA, .282/.337/.503/.840, 132 BB (6.9%), 295 K (15.4%)

MO 1469 PA, .258/.365/.479/.844, 205 BB (14.0%), 385 K (26.2%)

Baseball America's preseason Top 100 prospect lists has Middlebrooks No. 51 in 2012; Gyorko No. 98 in 2012 and No. 71 in 2013; Moustakas No. 18 in 2008, No. 13 in 2009, No. 80 in 2010 and No. 9 in 2011; and Olt No. 43 in 2012 and No. 22 in 2013.

Here are their MLB lines:

WM 660 PA, .254/.294/.462/.756, 33 BB (5.0%), 168 K (25.5%), OPS+ 102

JG 525 PA, .249/.301/.444/.745, 33 BB (6.3%), 123 K (23.4%), OPS+ 113

MM 1493 PA, .244/.296/.385/.681, 93 BB (6.2%), 258 K (17.3%), OPS+ 85

MO 40 PA, .152/.250/.182/.432, 5 BB (12.5%), 13 K (32.5%), OPS+ 18

* Jedd Gyorko came up through the minors as a thirdbaseman but this year played second base in his rookie season with San Diego because Chase Headley had a secure hold on third base. I mercifully omitted thirdbaseman Alex Liddi, who was also born during that 40-day window in 1988.Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The MLB stats for Will Middlebrooks in two seasons with the Red Sox and the MLB stats for Wily Mo Pena in two seasons with the Red Sox at a similar age:

WM 660 PA, .254/.294/.462/.756, 33 BB (5.0%), 168 K (25.5%), OPS+ 102

WMP 476 PA, .271/.328/.451/.779, 34 BB (7.1%), 148 K (31.1%), OPS+ 97

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dissatisfaction fom john and ben?  Are you having coffee with them? 

He got demoted twice in one season.  Both times needed a change of position by his replacement (Iggy then Bogey).

What would you call it?

(I thought "dissatisfaction" was pretty tame.)

Yea, Boggie ended up playing more in the ws, but he did not exactly solidify his future at third.  if I remember he had a flub at ss.

I do not see Bogey as a plus fielding SS. I project him to become a plus fielding 3Bman, but it is speculation. I could easily be wrong.

My position is based on a bias towards having a plus fielding SS, so that is my main reason for wanting to push Bogey to 3B. If Middy was a great fielding 3Bman, I'd be arguing to move Bogey to 1B or maybe LF, but that is not the case.

This is more about Bogey than Middy to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I've never been a WMB fan, never liked his minor league K/W, or now his MLB K/W, but as overrated as he used to be, he might now be underrated.

I definitely don't understand the "trade Middlebrooks" brigade.  Not sure why they would consider trading a guy when his stock is down.  My guess is he will be the starting 3rd baseman next year & he'll get a long look.  

I wanted him traded last season.  He had a .835, with a 5/1+ K/W.  It's hard to maintain that.

But now, with a .696, unless someone wants to trade off of maybe his career stats of .756, there's no point to trading him.

I thinks folks would be better off taking a step back.  If WMB was on another team, and had just finished his first full season, and finished with these stats-

615 ABs, 75 runs, 32 HRs, 103 RBIs, a 7/2 SB/CS, and a .254, the folks in here would be looking to dump JBJ and Cecchini for him, and that's about for certain.

numbers don't tell the whole story with will.  He gets to balls where others don't have a chance.  He never double clutches and seldom pulls the first baseman off the bag.

"gets to balls others don't"

Simply not true.

He has no first step.

First of all, we all do not know what is really wrong with Middlebrook this season.  Is it his mentally or his wrist keep giving him some problem at the plate.  Wait in one to two weeks to find out if he decided to say something about himself and what went wrong with him like Ellsbury hid his injury for the last five weeks, and finally mentioned after the world series that his wrist was bothering him.   Or who know he want to keep his mouth shut where he didnt want Ben C to know, and hope that he stay with the organization instead being trade to a new team. 

Well, Middlebrook is a better defender than Bogaerts at 3b, but Bogaerts is a better hitter than him and Drew.   And Drew is a better defender at SS.  I am sure that Farrell have a long good meeting with Ben C in the last three days to tell him which guy he prerfer to play at SS, 3b and 1b.  Of course, who get to play in CF and C next year.

I think the first move is to see any of three F/a's accept the QO's, and if all turn the deal down, Ben first move is work with Ellsbury.  Once he find out if he is staying or leave, then Ben can start building the team around.  We all know that Ellsbury is the better all around CF than anyone I can see in the free agency nor in Boston farm system.  JBJ is not going to make me to forget him. 

Do I want to keep Middlebrook, I would say yes cuz he still hit better than anyone in the AAA team right now.  Lavarnway is not even any better than him.  I would try to keep him and see where to put him if Sox resign Drew and Napoli.  Nothing wrong to have one extra player for the infield.

If Boston ever want to trade Middlebrook, Ben C better get a talent player in return such as to get a talent good CF who can lead off or talent 1b or like that.!! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I think we know what wmb is.  currently a 254/300 hitter with good pop and average defense.  I personally think he becomes a 270/330 hitter with 30 hr power and will be streaky with alot of strikeouts.  That is fine.  He is what he is.  Is that good enough?

The answer is not that easy.  If drew wants 4 and 40 then he should not be signed.  Too much talent in the high minors he would block.  If he wants 4 and 40 Bogarts plays SS.  I think the sox do one of these four choices: 1) sign drew and not Naps, WMB to 1st and bogarts to third 2) Sox sign naps but not drew, bogarts to SS and wmb to third. 3) sign neither drew or napoli, but rather put wmb at third, bogarts at ss, and either fill 1st base internally or sign another FA. 4) trade middlebrooks towards a Stud OF, or 3B, and fill the other holes either internally or through FA. 

FA I like alot: choo and beltran(both similar to Jake to my eyes for different reasons) in the OF, suzuki and McCann at C(like both over Salty), Morales or Morneau for first(like them about same as naps), or Drew or Peralta for SS(I like drew same as bogarts, but peralta less).

My perefered plan would be McCann and Choo signed, trade for a studd corner outfielder(WMB, Lavarnway, ML OF and Pitcher +/-) and sign drew for 2-3 years. or trade for 3b and sign Naps.

Option A                                   option B

1B Carp/Nava/ortiz                        Napoli

2B pedroia                                     pedroia

SS drew                                         bogarts

3B bogarts                                     new guy

C  McCann                                   McCann

LF New Guy                                 Gomes/Nava

CF Choo                                        Choo

RF Victorino                                 Victorino                        

DH Papi                                         Papi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I think you bring him back. The fair weather fans keep forgetting he's coming off of a broken wrist.  I know everyone likes the shiny new toy in Boegarts..but he is too young and I agree with other posters who, like me, saw weaknesses in his fielding. 
    Middlebrooks is also a power type hitter where Boegarts is not. I think you see a vast improvement in Middlebrooks next season on all counts..and I am betting the Sox front office feels the same way.

Sections
Shortcuts