The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve?

Does anyone think Lackey is going to stay?  This dump of salary makes simply releasing Lackey more financially attractive to me.  I would love to see him go.  He is as much of a problem as Beckett without nearly the upside.  If you are cleaning house, and dismantling the Theo team, then Lackey has to go!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

with ounto, no deal! replace someone else for punto, maybe.... he's the foundation building block for everything!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve?:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone think Lackey is going to stay?  This dump of salary makes simply releasing Lackey more financially attractive to me.  I would love to see him go.  He is as much of a problem as Beckett without nearly the upside.  If you are cleaning house, and dismantling the Theo team, then Lackey has to go!
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

0% chance he gets released before ST, and less than 1% by opening day.

He's owed $31M for the next 3 years (including the injury clause year).

We could always trade Pedey to the Dodgers and make them take lackey with him... (just joking).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

No one can argue we are worse off with this trade talent wise. Just like no one can argue WITH those same players we were not getting it done. There was also no reason to believe that same team which we wouldve been stuck with for the next half decade would all of a sudden click and become a contender.

Now the sox get another try with that money, the sox have always spent, the problem has been they havent been spending smart lately. When we signed lackey, crawford u knew right away they were not smart deals. We have to avoid those type of deals in the future.  

I like the move and I feel there is more hope now for this team than I did yesterday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve? : 0% chance he gets released before ST, and less than 1% by opening day. He's owed $31M for the next 3 years (including the injury clause year). We could always trade Pedey to the Dodgers and make them take lackey with him... (just joking).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Not to the Dodgers  -- but it will be no great surprise if Pedey is traded within the next two years. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember someone suggesting throwing in a prospect or two to get someone to take CC, but I never expected "throwing in" AGon to dump 2 salaries (CC & Josh).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve?": [QUOTE]Let's see how the numbers break out on quick reactions. Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE] Approve 100%...The Sox now have a ton of financial flexibility (Can't believe they are only paying 11 million), they took a huge first step in cleaning up what was a dysfunctional clubhouse, they got rid of 3 players who clearly didn't want to be here and when healthy, they still have more core talent than some of the teams that will be in the playoffs this year. Even the biggest whiners on this board have to applaud this deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Speaking of Pedroia and his being traded, if the management was really behind Valentine then Pedroia would be next to go.

And for my money...the Sox could well win without him.  Ciriaco could take Pedey's place easily, IMO.  The lineup would lose power but not suffer much in terms of OBP (which has been getting worse each year for Pedroia as he seems impatient every time up) or excitement (Ciriaco seems more inclined to producing a clutch hit than Pedey has been for over two years now).  Time will tell if Ciriaco could play anywhere near the defense Pedey provides, but if Pedroia could bring me a real good #2 or #3 starter, I would do it, regardless of Valentine's status.  Then maybe Pedroia would understand how things are really done around here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve?:
    [QUOTE]Let's see how the numbers break out on quick reactions.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]  Yes, no doubt about it !!!!!!!   We have been LIBERATED !!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Have you ever seen a team trade it's best player just to get rid of another player?  It's the height of idiocy.  How would the Giants have fared in 2010 if they had traded Lincecum to get rid of Zito?  Or if the Yankees in 2009 traded Sabathia to get rid of A-Rod?  Every large-market team has bad contracts, but winners don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Here's the list of 2013 MLB Free Agents: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013-mlb-free-agents.html

Between Gonzalez, Beckett, Crawford, Punto, Papi and Youk, you have about $85M to work with.  Go ahead and play GM - do you see anything that remotely makes up for the loss of Gonzalez and Papi?  Note: before you pencil in Hamilton, remember that his contract will cost almost as much as we just shed, and he'd be a guy struggling with drug and alcohol addiction put under the brightest spotlight in professional sports.  

Anything there?  You think the excitement of a salary dump is going to keep you going for the next three years?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of Pedroia and his being traded, if the management was really behind Valentine then Pedroia would be next to go. And for my money...the Sox could well win without him.  Ciriaco could take Pedey's place easily, IMO.  The lineup would lose power but not suffer much in terms of OBP (which has been getting worse each year for Pedroia as he seems impatient every time up) or excitement (Ciriaco seems more inclined to producing a clutch hit than Pedey has been for over two years now).  Time will tell if Ciriaco could play anywhere near the defense Pedey provides, but if Pedroia could bring me a real good #2 or #3 starter, I would do it, regardless of Valentine's status.  Then maybe Pedroia would understand how things are really done around here.
    If the Sox even have an inkling to trade Pedroia, the time is now or soon. He's been hurt a lot and his production is dipping. Unless he does a big turnaround, his value figures to decline. 
    He has very good range to his left and on balls hit not too hard up the middle, on which he makes a signature play. But he does not have good range to his right on balls hit crisply. One might say that balls hit crisply go through anyway. But that is not true. 
    Overall, his defense is very good but not irreplaceable. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Have you ever seen a team trade it's best player just to get rid of another player?  It's the height of idiocy.  How would the Giants have fared in 2010 if they had traded Lincecum to get rid of Zito?  Or if the Yankees in 2009 traded Sabathia to get rid of A-Rod?  Every large-market team has bad contracts, but winners don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Here's the list of 2013 MLB Free Agents:  http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013-mlb-free-agents.html Between Gonzalez, Beckett, Crawford, Punto, Papi and Youk, you have about $85M to work with.  Go ahead and play GM - do you see anything that remotely makes up for the loss of Gonzalez and Papi?  Note: before you pencil in Hamilton, remember that his contract will cost almost as much as we just shed, and he'd be a guy struggling with drug and alcohol addiction put under the brightest spotlight in professional sports.   Here's the 2014 list:   http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/2014-mlb-free-agents.html Anything there?  You think the excitement of a salary dump is going to keep you going for the next three years?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]You are wrong BIG TIME  !!!  Have you ever seen a team destroyed by bad signings !!!  A lot like how they do business in GREECE !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of Pedroia and his being traded, if the management was really behind Valentine then Pedroia would be next to go. And for my money...the Sox could well win without him.  Ciriaco could take Pedey's place easily, IMO.  The lineup would lose power but not suffer much in terms of OBP (which has been getting worse each year for Pedroia as he seems impatient every time up) or excitement (Ciriaco seems more inclined to producing a clutch hit than Pedey has been for over two years now).  Time will tell if Ciriaco could play anywhere near the defense Pedey provides, but if Pedroia could bring me a real good #2 or #3 starter, I would do it, regardless of Valentine's status.  Then maybe Pedroia would understand how things are really done around here.

par, Pedey's OBP is not in steady decline:

380>376>371>367>387>337

He had his highest career OBP last year. He's been playing hurt recently, and that is a big concern going forward, but his OBP does not concern me over a 3/4 year decline.

Ciriaco shows a lot of promise, but he only has 170 career PAs with only 5 walks. In 3,500 minor league PAs, his OBP was .299. I love this kid and think is fielding is very good, but I'm hardly ready to say we would not drop off by replacing Pedey with Pedro.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

The sox should be very active in the trade market this winter as well as bargain shopping in free agency, with a bit of a big signing thrown in. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]As constructed, we fleeced them.  Nothing against the players we gave up, but for the $58M those guys earn, we shouldn't have gotten anything back.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

exactly! ben has got to have incriminating pics of Dodger bigwigs.....I cant believe they took those three salary anchors....and only one of those guys is worth having..the other guy is a medical case out until next season and...well, the other is a meathead....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonrcal. Show bostonrcal's posts

BC is a magician...a tremendous deal!  Red Sox do not have to give LA much $ and BC is now free to build his team.  We will be back and quickly!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve? : par, Pedey's OBP is not in steady decline: 380 />376>371>367> 387 >337 He had his highest career OBP last year. He's been playing hurt recently, and that is a big concern going forward, but his OBP does not concern me over a 3/4 year decline. Ciriaco shows a lot of promise, but he only has 170 career PAs with only 5 walks. In 3,500 minor league PAs, his OBP was .299. I love this kid and think is fielding is very good, but I'm hardly ready to say we would not drop off by replacing Pedey with Pedro.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I agree that it's premature to award Ciriaco a job. But the issue is larger than Pedey/Ciriaco. Would Ciriaco ( or someone else ) be satisfactory if Pedey could bring a top-three starter in trade? 
    You've been saying all along that mostly the Sox need to improve the rotation, and I ( among many others ) have agreed with you. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Truly sorry to see Gonzo go, but he just never did fit in on this team for whatever reason. I wish them all the best, as long as they don't bother the Reds! The worst part about this is the serious curtailment (no pun intended) there will be to my Fat Cat jokes and pictorials.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve? : You are wrong BIG TIME  !!!  Have you ever seen a team destroyed by bad signings !!!  A lot like how they do business in GREECE !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

2012 salaries, 2012 fangraphs value in parentheses

A-Rod = $30M ($8.2)
    Teixeira = $23M ($12.8)
    Suzuki = $18M ($7.7)
    Rivera = $15M ($1.2)
    Burnett = $16.5 - paid to play for Pittsburgh

If bad contracts could destroy a team, the Yankees would be in the cellar.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve? : So you think they are going to lower ticket prices and the price of dogs and beer?  Or, is it you think they are going to go out and spend all that money on big FA contracts again?  Neither is in the cards I am afraid, and if that means I am a doubting Thomas, so be it.  Realist is my term for it.

No they're not going to lower prices, but there's no reason to think they're not going to spend it on acquiring players.

Your view isn't realist, it's pessimist, because you have nothing to base it on except your own gut feelings.  Recent history says otherwise.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

It's funny, some of the fans from LA hate the trade too. They figure they gave up to much.  http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-dodgers&tid=126594

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve? : 2012 salaries, 2012 fangraphs value in parentheses A-Rod = $30M ($8.2) Teixeira = $23M ($12.8) Suzuki = $18M ($7.7) Rivera = $15M ($1.2) Burnett = $16.5 - paid to play for Pittsburgh If bad contracts could destroy a team, the Yankees would be in the cellar.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Cashman mitigated the effect of those underachievers by making two great trades for Swisher and Granderson plus great signings of Kuroda and Sabathia and decent drafts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve? : Cashman mitigated the effect of those underachievers by making two great trades for Swisher and Granderson plus great signings of Kuroda and Sabathia and decent drafts.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

That's right - they have in Sabathia what we had in Gonzalez - a highly paid player living up to his contract.  They didn't try to package Sabathia with A-Rod and Burnett to another team to get out from under their collective salaries.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Sloman goes on every thread to spread his gloom and doom.
    Yawn!
    I think Sabathia is 1,000 times more important to the Yankees, than Agon was to the Red Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]Sloman goes on every thread to spread his gloom and doom. Yawn! I think Sabathia is 1,000 times more important to the Yankees, than Agon was to the Red Sox.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

Slomag is struggling to see the big picture.  He also doesn't realize that Agon didn't want to be here.  If he hadn't asked for a trade already (there are rumors that he did), then he most certainly would have this off season. Every MLB Executive who has commented on this deal is scratching their head wondering why the Dodgers would do this.  The deal is a no brainer for the Sox.