The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve?

In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve?:
    " This is a really bad day for me, and it feels much worse seeing so many self-proclaimed Red Sox fans celebrating the dollars in John Henry's pockets.  " Interesting - I'm really happy so the reaction varies. My only objection to your reaction is your implication that if you're happy about today's events you're not a true fan.  This was a chance for the team to re-invent. It was easy to see that it wasn't working.  You may have liked the players but those were all bad contracts. The only question was how bad.  Where you are correct is that there will be challenges ahead, and the Sox will have to spend money to win, it can't all be young guys and prospects. Will they spend it well? Will the bigger contracts be good ones?  For me I have felt bad about this team for about a year now and I feel great.  I wish the guys luck for their service to the team and they all seem very happy about the trade as well.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

I keep hearing how this team is going to re-invent itself, but I have seen the FA lists of the next two years, and I don't see the path to improvement.  If you don't go the FA route, and you trade instead to improve or at least get back to the talent level you had 24 hours ago, then you have to factor whatever you give up to get there into the equation, aka the cost of this trade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve? : Looks like a steady decline with one abberation, an injury shortened year at that (hence the smaller sample size).  OR, it is a drastic and sudden decline.  Regardless, Pedroia has looked impatient at bat all year, and much of last.  And he hits a lot of ground balls to short trying to hit pitches that he should have let go by.  If Gonzalez can be replaced with Mauro Gomez and James Loney, Pedroia can be replaced with Ciriaco.  Not saying it should be done, but am saying that if Pedey could bring a good starter that would make dealing him very attractive to me.  I believe his best years are behind him, and his ego has gotten too big for his britches.
    Posted by parhunter55
    I would trade Pedey ( maybe others with him ) in the blink of an eye for the right pitcher. 
    If the FO and fans haven't learned by now that the rotation is where you live or die, the future will be even bleaker than some posters are predicting. 
    Right now, it's Buchholz and Lester ( if he comes back strong ) and fingers crossed. Morales has never been a consistently good pitcher. Doubront has had his moments -- both kinds. Promise? Yes, but AAA is full of pitchers who once showed promise. And....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like a steady decline with one abberation, an injury shortened year at that (hence the smaller sample size).  OR, it is a drastic and sudden decline. 

You are really making the point that going down .004, .005, and then .004 followed by a jump of .020 is a "steady decline"? Until this year, he has been one of the most consistent hitters in the league.

5 straight years between .867 and .887.

I'm really getting tired of so many fans writing off players for having a bad few weeks, months or a full season. Pedey is still young. He may be starting a decline, but he has just as good of a chance of going back to .867-.887 next year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Looks like a steady decline with one abberation, an injury shortened year at that (hence the smaller sample size).  OR, it is a drastic and sudden decline.  You are really making the point that going down .004, .005, and then .004 followed by a jump of .020 is a "steady decline"? Until this year, he has been one of the most consistent hitters in the league. 5 straight years between .867 and .887. I'm really getting tired of so many fans writing off players for having a bad few weeks, months or a full season. Pedey is still young. He may be starting a decline, but he has just as good of a chance of going back to .867-.887 next year. 
    Posted by moonslav59
    He has a chance of going back to .867-.887. But I'd guess that the chances are better that he doesn't. Who knows? He has been hurt this year and, I think, a distraction to himself. And others? IMO, he did not adjust to the change in managers from Day One. That's on him, not on BV. 
    I'd still trade him for the right pitcher. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: The Blockbuster: Approve or Not Approve? : Uh, I reckon you're delusional if you think winning championships are done with abosulely no relation to money............
    Posted by andrewmitch

Ike stopped paying attention in 1974 before the Reserve Clause was overturned.  He is unable to understand that salary is now intertwined with talent.  Seperately, he is unable to understand the concept of a budget.  Pretty sad, in truth, but he's happy to rage against the dying of the light so I mostly let him.

Sections
Shortcuts