The Boston Pirates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

The Boston Pirates

I live among Pirate fans and now realize how they have felt year after year. Obviously, I'm not that naive to realize we have extremely greater players on the rostar. But the inactivity during the offseason is similar to that of the sad Pirates. Why should Henry and the boys worry about money and the luxury tax and shared revenue and etc, when they make tons of money from the Sox franchise? You would think they would be active to improve this team that crapped and puked on themselves and were an embarassment to the franchise and the fans in April and September. Is this good PR to tell the fans that we just need a few tweeks under the hood after being 7-20 in September and laying an egg in April? Isn't it possible 
    that Buchholtz may be damaged goods next year and Lester and Beckett are beyond their best years. This team needs 2 starters, a right handed RF, and a closer and they are crying poverty while sitting on their hands. Did they ever think that bad PR and last years choke job and the lousy economy will significantly decrease NESN subscriptions and low ratings. Isn't that one of reasons why they signed Crawford last year? There is no way the current product will get into the playoffs with the current rostar and no improvement(unless they add a wild card for this season). They don't have to make a splash just make a ripple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: The Boston Pirates

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Of course you chose the cheap Pirates as your example, rather than the thrifty Rays who manage to compete in the AL East in spite of their low budget.   I wouldn't mind more acquisitions like Aceves rather than Lackey and Crawford, which were the transactions that put the Red Sox in this position to begin with. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

common man!  Are you kidding me?  A couple years ago maybe?  But this team has anawsome core of player's to build around and it costs John Henry and Co.  A tremndous amount of money to either obtain these player's or retain them.  We have an awsome core to build upon for the ne4 or 5 years.  Most teams would be trading many of these player's because they just could not afford them.  This is a good team all we need is a couple pieces not a major overhaul.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

GREAT OP

Inactive, inept GM       Check
    Cheap, Stingy FO        Check
    Crawford                    Check
    Sept. Collapse             Check
    April Bad start              Check
    Bucholz pessimism         Check
    NESN Ratings               Check

Concern Troll Talking Points All Covered

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Why the OP's post is moronic is because even if the Sox are spending more money next year to go considerably over the luxury tax, they're not slashing payroll and trading off high-priced vets. Right or wrong, they're bringing back Ortiz and Ellsbury will get a big boost. If the Sox were the Pirates, they would have dumped Ortiz and traded Ellsbury for prospects.

Yeah, they're not bringing back Papelbon, but has more to do with the length of the contract, rather than the individual dollar amound for next year.

And I love how some idiots on this board like -- the OP -- know exactly how much the Red Sox as a business make. Of course sitting in your mom's basement, you know exactly what the finances of the team are.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to The Boston Pirates:
    I live among Pirate fans and now realize how they have felt year after year. Obviously, I'm not that naive to realize we have extremely greater players on the rostar. But the inactivity during the offseason is similar to that of the sad Pirates. Why should Henry and the boys worry about money and the luxury tax and shared revenue and etc, when they make tons of money from the Sox franchise? You would think they would be active to improve this team that crapped and puked on themselves and were an embarassment to the franchise and the fans in April and September. Is this good PR to tell the fans that we just need a few tweeks under the hood after being 7-20 in September and laying an egg in April? Isn't it possible  that Buchholtz may be damaged goods next year and Lester and Beckett are beyond their best years. This team needs 2 starters, a right handed RF, and a closer and they are crying poverty while sitting on their hands. Did they ever think that bad PR and last years choke job and the lousy economy will significantly decrease NESN subscriptions and low ratings. Isn't that one of reasons why they signed Crawford last year? There is no way the current product will get into the playoffs with the current rostar and no improvement(unless they add a wild card for this season). They don't have to make a splash just make a ripple.  
    Posted by wvwc61

I think management is expecting to see the May-August team, rather than the April-September embarrassment. I don't agree with them and see the bull-pen, or lack their off being a big sink hole for '12.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: The Boston Pirates:
    In Response to The Boston Pirates : I think management is expecting to see the May-August team, rather than the April-September embarrassment. I don't agree with them and see the bull-pen, or lack their off being a big sink hole for '12.
    Posted by attic-dan

Personally, I'm waiting to see how things play out. I would have liked to have seen them sign Cuddyer(sp?) for RF and his versatility -- 3B if Youk gets hurt again -- and I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Oswalt for a year.

Betran for a year might have been OK, although his knees make me leary and maybe Cody Ross remains a possibility, but I can live with Reddick and or Kalish in RF -- production should be the same as what the Sox got from that position this past season -- and I'll wait to see how things shake out with the starting pitching and the bullpen. There's still players available and time to solidify things.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I bet Pirate fans wish they had 9 players, 6 position players and 3 starting pitchers, that have been All-Stars in either 2010, 2011 or both.  That is 36% of their 25 man roster.

Ortiz, Gonzalez, Pedroia, Youkilis, Crawford, Ellsbury, Beckett, Lester, Buchholz.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Why the OP's post is moronic is because even if the Sox are spending more money next year to go considerably over the luxury tax, they're not slashing payroll and trading off high-priced vets. Right or wrong, they're bringing back Ortiz and Ellsbury will get a big boost. If the Sox were the Pirates, they would have dumped Ortiz and traded Ellsbury for prospects. Yeah, they're not bringing back Papelbon, but has more to do with the length of the contract, rather than the individual dollar amound for next year. And I love how some idiots on this board like -- the OP -- know exactly how much the Red Sox as a business make. Of course sitting in your mom's basement, you know exactly what the finances of the team are.
    Posted by royf19

At least I graduated to my mom's attic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm sure the Pirate fans have plenty of empathy for the Red Sox fans

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Unlike Pike I won't pass judgement on the poster because he hates the message but, really, the Pirates? CC alone should shatter that thought. Agon?? Beckett extention....hopefully Ells long term contract will be another in the coming year...we have a very good core of players...and now a manager who will be more demanding...I really believe that is all we need. I love the idea of not signing paps and having Aceves replace him -  and I'm coming sround Bard as a starter. Dice & Clay have to contribute more than did than last year...and CC will rebound....

we are not the pIRATES

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The author of the OP tested out the forum to see if they would be troll-responsive. Unfortunately many took him seriously.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

I live among Pirate fans and now realize how they have felt year after year. Obviously, I'm not that naive to realize we have extremely greater players on the rostar. But the inactivity during the offseason is similar to that of the sad Pirates. Why should Henry and the boys worry about money and the luxury tax and shared revenue and etc, when they make tons of money from the Sox franchise? You would think they would be active to improve this team that crapped and puked on themselves and were an embarassment to the franchise and the fans in April and September. Is this good PR to tell the fans that we just need a few tweeks under the hood after being 7-20 in September and laying an egg in April? Isn't it possible  that Buchholtz may be damaged goods next year and Lester and Beckett are beyond their best years. This team needs 2 starters, a right handed RF, and a closer and they are crying poverty while sitting on their hands. Did they ever think that bad PR and last years choke job and the lousy economy will significantly decrease NESN subscriptions and low ratings. Isn't that one of reasons why they signed Crawford last year? There is no way the current product will get into the playoffs with the current rostar and no improvement(unless they add a wild card for this season). They don't have to make a splash just make a ripple.  
    Posted by wvwc61

They made a 300mil splash on two players last year.Is that not your ripple???? Get lost splash and ripple boy!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

With just a little more than one week to go, it was good of the OP to squeak in his "Dumbest Post of the Year" nominee barely under the wire...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

Why the OP's post is moronic is because even if the Sox are spending more money next year to go considerably over the luxury tax, they're not slashing payroll and trading off high-priced vets. Right or wrong, they're bringing back Ortiz and Ellsbury will get a big boost. If the Sox were the Pirates, they would have dumped Ortiz and traded Ellsbury for prospects. Yeah, they're not bringing back Papelbon, but has more to do with the length of the contract, rather than the individual dollar amound for next year. And I love how some idiots on this board like -- the OP -- know exactly how much the Red Sox as a business make. Of course sitting in your mom's basement, you know exactly what the finances of the team are.
    Posted by royf19

You are the real moron because you believed the post. You ain't bright enough to catch on to tongue in cheek sarcasm. You deserve the award for the worst response to the worst post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: The Boston Pirates : You are the real moron because you believed the post. You ain't bright enough to catch on to tongue in cheek sarcasm. You deserve the award for the worst response to the worst post.
    Posted by wvwc61

I think most people missed the sarcasm in your original post.  Mostly because there wasn't any, at least none that was obviously apparent.

That leaves two options - a very poor attempt to save face on your part by claiming it was all an obvious joke,  blah blah blah.  No one ever buys that excuse. 

Or the second option that you are just an extremely poor writer and incapable of making the necessary exaggerations and humor to display the very sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek references you think you are conveying.

As only a fool worries about saving face in an anonymous forum, we'll all go with the latter and simply assume that while you intended humor and satire, however the typed message was simply unclear about this due to poor construction and we can all move on....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

Posted by wvwc61

i am willing to bet if they don't make any more changes you will still follow the sox.it is in your soul not a feeling.so quit whining and hope that the changes we have made help to get them back to the playoffs.otherwise follow those said pirates.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Most trolls use tongue-in-cheek all of the time. That is why Granny caught it in the second post of the thread. Those who get their daily dose of entertainment with such pretending / baiting should be considered to be trolls to the astute.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I am glad the Red Sox are actually spending wisely instead of throwing cash around to inept free agent players.  The smarter they are the better the team will be in the future.  We have a great core of players and they may even have a little room to add a player at the trading deadline to help the team for the stretch run this year.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I congratulate you, OP author, for finding a new way to whine.

Is there some new drug that you are taking and are not yet used to the after effects?

One sits here, shaking one's head, wondering how we can have such a sad outlook ....

The Pirates ...  really?

If we are talking about the '70s, maybe .....

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.

Piece of coal for the author .... sad

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to; Re: The Boston Pirates:
    I congratulate you, OP author, for finding a new way to whine. Is there some new drug that you are taking and are not yet used to the after effects? One sits here, shaking one's head, wondering how we can have such a sad outlook ....    The Pirates ...  really?    If we are talking about the '70s, maybe ..... MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.     Piece of coal for the author .... sad
    Posted by SinceYaz

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Georom:
    Unlike Pike I won't pass judgement on the poster because he hates the message but,

wvwc61:
    You are the real moron because you believed the post. You ain't bright enough to catch on to tongue in cheek sarcasm. You deserve the award for the worst response to the worst post.

What does this then say about Georom?

When the messenger acts like a troll, why not identify before he identifies himself like wvwc61 did?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

In Response to Re: The Boston Pirates : I think most people missed the sarcasm in your original post.  Mostly because there wasn't any, at least none that was obviously apparent. That leaves two options - a very poor attempt to save face on your part by claiming it was all an obvious joke,  blah blah blah.  No one ever buys that excuse.  Or the second option that you are just an extremely poor writer and incapable of making the necessary exaggerations and humor to display the very sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek references you think you are conveying. As only a fool worries about saving face in an anonymous forum, we'll all go with the latter and simply assume that while you intended humor and satire, however the typed message was simply unclear about this due to poor construction and we can all move on....
    Posted by notin

Comparing Sox to Pirates is not sarcasm? What planet do you live on. If I compared Sox to TB that's not sarcasm but reality. Check out UticaClub. He seemed to get the point. This forum has fallen asleep and needs some anger!!!
    At least your response has some vinegar to it and that's good. Incidentally, do you think it's good that Boston is relatively quiet this offseason?

Sections
Shortcuts