The Bottom Five through Eight Teams and What They Might Want to Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Bottom Five through Eight Teams and What They Might Want to Trade

Another thread has players the bottom 4 teams by record may want to unload at the trade deadline. Here is what the the next worst 4 teams may want to trade this year. Some are salary dump type players and some are players that could bring back some good prospects for these teams to begin to build for the long term future. (Note: some of these teams may not be in rebuild mode and think they can win this year or in 2015.) I'll cover teams ranked number 19 to 22 on another thread.

26) Arizona 42-56 This team may not be looking to get prospects for their best or most expensive players, but instead may be looking to win in 2015 or 2016.

Aaron Hill- $12M in '15 and $12M in 2016. We don't need a 2Bman, especially one with a .646 OPS.

Martin Prado- $11M in '15 and '16 We do need a 3Bman, if we move Bogey back to SS or out to LF, but I'm not sure this guy would add that much to our future. If we knew he could hit like 2012 (.796 OPS) or from 2008 to 2010 (all over .809 OPS) maybe we'd try, but .750 and .687 the last 2 years is not a big boost to the Sox.

Miguel Montero- $12M, $16M, & 14M At 30 he's having a decent year (.767 OPS). Having a left batting  catcher is nice. His 800+ OPS in 2011 & 2012 and 2009 makes him a top hitting catcher in MLB, but I doubt we are looking to go big at this position with Vazquez and Swihart looking so good right now.

B. Arroyo- $9.5M in '15 with club option for '16 at $11M ($4.5M buyout)

Cody Ross- $8.5M with club option $9.5M ($1M buyout) Cody is Jonny Gomes at twice the cost. No thanks.

T Cahill- $12M with club option $13M ($300K buyout) for '16 and $13.5M ($500K buyout for '17. Has been off for a couple of seasons now, but could be part of a package that helps the Diamondbacks gain budget space.

Gerardo Parra- 1 arb year left (made $4.85M this year) Parra has only one team controlled year left and he's not that much better than what we have now in the OF.

Mark Trumbo- 2 arb years left (made $4.8M this year) Mark has been mentioned by some posters here as a target for trade, but I'm not a big fan of Trumbo. He's decline for 2 straight years (808>747>692) and has been hurt this year. Sure, 102 HRs in 1817 ABs is nice (34 per 600 PAs), but he reminds me too much of Middy, so I'd pass on him.

Paul Goldschmidt- $3M, $5.75M, $8.75M, $11M, and a $14.5M club option for '19 ($2M buyout). Arizone is certainly not looking to trade this guy. He's great and he is very very cheap. I listed him here only because he is the type of player the Sox need, and I feel every player in MLb is available for a certain price.

Chris Owings (Pre arb) or Didi Gregorius (Pre arb) two SSs may mean they trade one. I'm not sure these guys would be much better than a rookie Marrero or a poor fielding Bogey at SS next year.

25) San Diego 42-55 The've already begun a sell-off, so I'm guessing some of these guys will be dealt over the next 11 days.

Chase Headley- Chase is a free agent after this year. He'd have to agree to be extended to be a Sox target, and I'm not overly impressed with him.

Seth Smith- $6M, $6.75M & $7M club option in '17 ($250K buyout). Seth is an interesting player/target. He's having a big year, so his stock might be higher than his future value.

Ian Kennedy- 1 arb year left and Boras as an agent: no thanks.

Carlos Quentin- $8M in '15 with mutual option for '16 ($10M) Injured this year, but has the potential to be something special.

Joaquin Bennet- $8M in '15 with club option for '16 $8M (1.5 buyout)- too costly.

Andrew Cashner- 2 arb years left and probably not someone Az is looking to trade.

Cameron Maybin- $7M, $8M, and $9M club option for '17 ($1M buyout) Too costly for his productivity.

24) Philadelphia 43-55 All kinds of trade rumors with this team. Lots of overpaid players and a few players asking to be dealt. Utley & Rollins have said they will block any trades, so I won't list them. Ruiz has a concussion and Marlon Byrd can block a trader to 4 teams.

Cole Hamels- $22.5M x 4 with $20M club optin in '19 ($6M buyout) Could be a nice replacement for Lester, but at this cost, I'd rather just pay Lester close to the same amount. Maybe we could keep Lester and get this guy.

Cliff Lee- $25M with 2016 club option at $27.5M ($12.5M buyout), so basically $37.5M/1 or $52.5M/2. On 60 day DL and too old for my liking.

AJ Burnett- $15M mutual option for '15 ($1M buyout or $7.5M player option) He may not want to play for us, and he's not really a long term outlook type of guy.

Jonathan Papelbon- $13M with $13M 2016 option. No thans back then- no thanks now. I'd rather just pay Uehara at a fraction of Paps cost.

Carlos Ruiz- $8.5M, $8.5M with $4.5M club option in '17 ($500K buyout). I doubt we are looking for a FT cather, but at age 35, maybe we'd like a guy to help our kids slowly work into a FT role. He's pretty costly though.

Marlon Byrd- $8M with $8M club option for 2016 (Not trade blocked with Sox). .792 OPS this year with 18 HRs at age 36.

Ryan Howard- $25M, $25M with a $23M club option for '17 ($10M buyout) WOW! $60M for 2 years. Maybe the Philles would give up another good player, if a team agreed to take on some or most of his contract in a package deal. Then hope he regains his productivity. He does have 15 HRs this year

23) Minnesota 44-53 A team that always seems to be in rebuild mode, except for the Mauer extension and a few moderate signings here and there.

Mauer- $18M x 4 more years His .695 OPS this year is terrifying. I'm not sure the Twins are looking to trade him, and he doesn't seem like a good fit for the Sox, unless we deal Napoli. I'd say "NO!"

K Morales- $14M then a FA Nope

R Nolasco- $12M, $12M and $13M club option in '18 ($1M buyout)

P Hughes- $8M x 2 ...Ehhh... maybe...

Willingham- $7M then FA Nope

M Pelfrey $5.5M then FA Might be a throw in salary dump as a package to get a good player.

Glen Perkins- $4.7M, $6.3M, $6.5M & $6.5M club option in '18 ($700K buyout) Good closer, but I'd rather have Uehara.

Kurt Suzuki- $2.75M, then FA. Might be a nice tutor for Vazquez and Swihart, but we'd have to get him to agree to extend or we can just sign him this winter.

Some interesting names here, but other than Hamels or Goldschmidt, I don't see any big difference makers or good fits for the Sox here.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: The Bottom Five through Eight Teams and What They Might Want to Trade

Moon, Bronson Arroyo is slated for Tommy John. Forget about him. I do hope you don't include the Sox in your 19-22 thread. Anyway, thanks for your interesting post.  I still expect Ben to look for a deal to help us this year. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Moon, Bronson Arroyo is slated for Tommy John. Forget about him. I do hope you don't include the Sox in your 19-22 thread. Anyway, thanks for your interesting post.  I still expect Ben to look for a deal to help us this year. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

The Sox list would include anyone who will be a FA after this year plus Breslow, Naps, Vic and Buch, but no, I won't include them on my next thread.

I hope and think if Ben makes a deal that helps us this year, it will also help us for several years down the road. Of course, if we trade prospects for a good player under team control for several years, we won't know if the deal helped or hurt us until the prospects mature and show their value.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Another thread has players the bottom 4 teams by record may want to unload at the trade deadline. Here is what the the next worst 4 teams may want to trade this year. Some are salary dump type players and some are players that could bring back some good prospects for these teams to begin to build for the long term future. (Note: some of these teams may not be in rebuild mode and think they can win this year or in 2015.) I'll cover teams ranked number 19 to 22 on another thread.

26) Arizona 42-56 This team may not be looking to get prospects for their best or most expensive players, but instead may be looking to win in 2015 or 2016.

Aaron Hill- $12M in '15 and $12M in 2016. We don't need a 2Bman, especially one with a .646 OPS.

Martin Prado- $11M in '15 and '16 We do need a 3Bman, if we move Bogey back to SS or out to LF, but I'm not sure this guy would add that much to our future. If we knew he could hit like 2012 (.796 OPS) or from 2008 to 2010 (all over .809 OPS) maybe we'd try, but .750 and .687 the last 2 years is not a big boost to the Sox.

Miguel Montero- $12M, $16M, & 14M At 30 he's having a decent year (.767 OPS). Having a left batting  catcher is nice. His 800+ OPS in 2011 & 2012 and 2009 makes him a top hitting catcher in MLB, but I doubt we are looking to go big at this position with Vazquez and Swihart looking so good right now.

B. Arroyo- $9.5M in '15 with club option for '16 at $11M ($4.5M buyout)

Cody Ross- $8.5M with club option $9.5M ($1M buyout) Cody is Jonny Gomes at twice the cost. No thanks.

T Cahill- $12M with club option $13M ($300K buyout) for '16 and $13.5M ($500K buyout for '17. Has been off for a couple of seasons now, but could be part of a package that helps the Diamondbacks gain budget space.

Gerardo Parra- 1 arb year left (made $4.85M this year) Parra has only one team controlled year left and he's not that much better than what we have now in the OF.

Mark Trumbo- 2 arb years left (made $4.8M this year) Mark has been mentioned by some posters here as a target for trade, but I'm not a big fan of Trumbo. He's decline for 2 straight years (808>747>692) and has been hurt this year. Sure, 102 HRs in 1817 ABs is nice (34 per 600 PAs), but he reminds me too much of Middy, so I'd pass on him.

Paul Goldschmidt- $3M, $5.75M, $8.75M, $11M, and a $14.5M club option for '19 ($2M buyout). Arizone is certainly not looking to trade this guy. He's great and he is very very cheap. I listed him here only because he is the type of player the Sox need, and I feel every player in MLb is available for a certain price.

Chris Owings (Pre arb) or Didi Gregorius (Pre arb) two SSs may mean they trade one. I'm not sure these guys would be much better than a rookie Marrero or a poor fielding Bogey at SS next year.

25) San Diego 42-55 The've already begun a sell-off, so I'm guessing some of these guys will be dealt over the next 11 days.

Chase Headley- Chase is a free agent after this year. He'd have to agree to be extended to be a Sox target, and I'm not overly impressed with him.

Seth Smith- $6M, $6.75M & $7M club option in '17 ($250K buyout). Seth is an interesting player/target. He's having a big year, so his stock might be higher than his future value.

Ian Kennedy- 1 arb year left and Boras as an agent: no thanks.

Carlos Quentin- $8M in '15 with mutual option for '16 ($10M) Injured this year, but has the potential to be something special.

Joaquin Bennet- $8M in '15 with club option for '16 $8M (1.5 buyout)- too costly.

Andrew Cashner- 2 arb years left and probably not someone Az is looking to trade.

Cameron Maybin- $7M, $8M, and $9M club option for '17 ($1M buyout) Too costly for his productivity.

24) Philadelphia 43-55 All kinds of trade rumors with this team. Lots of overpaid players and a few players asking to be dealt. Utley & Rollins have said they will block any trades, so I won't list them. Ruiz has a concussion and Marlon Byrd can block a trader to 4 teams.

Cole Hamels- $22.5M x 4 with $20M club optin in '19 ($6M buyout) Could be a nice replacement for Lester, but at this cost, I'd rather just pay Lester close to the same amount. Maybe we could keep Lester and get this guy.

Cliff Lee- $25M with 2016 club option at $27.5M ($12.5M buyout), so basically $37.5M/1 or $52.5M/2. On 60 day DL and too old for my liking.

AJ Burnett- $15M mutual option for '15 ($1M buyout or $7.5M player option) He may not want to play for us, and he's not really a long term outlook type of guy.

Jonathan Papelbon- $13M with $13M 2016 option. No thans back then- no thanks now. I'd rather just pay Uehara at a fraction of Paps cost.

Carlos Ruiz- $8.5M, $8.5M with $4.5M club option in '17 ($500K buyout). I doubt we are looking for a FT cather, but at age 35, maybe we'd like a guy to help our kids slowly work into a FT role. He's pretty costly though.

Marlon Byrd- $8M with $8M club option for 2016 (Not trade blocked with Sox). .792 OPS this year with 18 HRs at age 36.

Ryan Howard- $25M, $25M with a $23M club option for '17 ($10M buyout) WOW! $60M for 2 years. Maybe the Philles would give up another good player, if a team agreed to take on some or most of his contract in a package deal. Then hope he regains his productivity. He does have 15 HRs this year

23) Minnesota 44-53 A team that always seems to be in rebuild mode, except for the Mauer extension and a few moderate signings here and there.

Mauer- $18M x 4 more years His .695 OPS this year is terrifying. I'm not sure the Twins are looking to trade him, and he doesn't seem like a good fit for the Sox, unless we deal Napoli. I'd say "NO!"

K Morales- $14M then a FA Nope

R Nolasco- $12M, $12M and $13M club option in '18 ($1M buyout)

P Hughes- $8M x 2 ...Ehhh... maybe...

Willingham- $7M then FA Nope

M Pelfrey $5.5M then FA Might be a throw in salary dump as a package to get a good player.

Glen Perkins- $4.7M, $6.3M, $6.5M & $6.5M club option in '18 ($700K buyout) Good closer, but I'd rather have Uehara.

Kurt Suzuki- $2.75M, then FA. Might be a nice tutor for Vazquez and Swihart, but we'd have to get him to agree to extend or we can just sign him this winter.

Some interesting names here, but other than Hamels or Goldschmidt, I don't see any big difference makers or good fits for the Sox here.

Sox4ever

Very good post and informative as to your opinions. I enjoyed it thank you. The Red Sox FO is not going to deal off their top prospects for a rental. They would have to have anyone big particularly a hitter sign an extension.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Very good post and informative as to your opinions. I enjoyed it thank you. The Red Sox FO is not going to deal off their top prospects for a rental. They would have to have anyone big particularly a hitter sign an extension.

I agree, but some of these names are signed for several years and are not rentals. Othe salary dump type players could be included in packages so as to lessen the amount of prospects needed to get the guy we want, such as the Marlins forcing us to take Lowell to get Beckett and us forcing the Dodgers to take Crawford in order to get AGon.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Hamels is the guy who we could very well see in a red sox uniform come july 31st. I think the sox don’t view hamels as a replacement for lester as trading top prospects for hamels and then letting lester walk doesn’t make us better at all and makes no sense. I think they are looking at hamels as a 1A/1B guy for the top of the rotation with lester. With peavy likely getting dealt before the deadline, hamels would take his spot in the rotation givings us a rotation of

Lester

Hamels

Lackey

Buchholz

De la rosa

In terms of playoffs (assuming we somehow get there) we would have a big 3 in Lester/Hamels/Lackey and depending on how buchholz is pitching, a potential big 4. I think Ben c and co have been assessing their trade options and have likely found that no big bats are available besides someone like kemp who they may not feel comfortable trading for, so they turned their attention to pitching upgrades. With samardzija already finding a new home, the top 2 starters on the market are price and hamels. Tampa would likely not want to trade price within the division, and the cost for an AL east team to acquire him would be incredibly high, so hamels ultimately makes the most sense for a number of reasons. I’m sure the phillies would prefer to trade him to an AL team, and they want young pitching for him. We have plenty of young pitchers and other prospects as well. We have major league ready guys in doubront, workman and de la rosa as well as quality prospects in owens, barnes, ranuado, webster, johnson, ball and diaz. If we can’t get a big bat like stanton or tulo, then I think hamels is the way to go. If we can get him and then deal peavy to the cards for craig, I think we would be in good shape. Our line up post craig:

Holt (3B)

Craig (LF)

Pedroia (2B)

Ortiz (DH)

Napoli (1B)

Bogaerts (SS)

Victorino (RF)

Vasquez (C)

Bradley jr (CF)

Paired with the rotation above, I would feel good about our chances down the stretch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

Hamels is the guy who we could very well see in a red sox uniform come july 31st. I think the sox don’t view hamels as a replacement for lester as trading top prospects for hamels and then letting lester walk doesn’t make us better at all and makes no sense. I think they are looking at hamels as a 1A/1B guy for the top of the rotation with lester. With peavy likely getting dealt before the deadline, hamels would take his spot in the rotation givings us a rotation of

Lester

Hamels

Lackey

Buchholz

De la rosa

In terms of playoffs (assuming we somehow get there) we would have a big 3 in Lester/Hamels/Lackey and depending on how buchholz is pitching, a potential big 4. I think Ben c and co have been assessing their trade options and have likely found that no big bats are available besides someone like kemp who they may not feel comfortable trading for, so they turned their attention to pitching upgrades. With samardzija already finding a new home, the top 2 starters on the market are price and hamels. Tampa would likely not want to trade price within the division, and the cost for an AL east team to acquire him would be incredibly high, so hamels ultimately makes the most sense for a number of reasons. I’m sure the phillies would prefer to trade him to an AL team, and they want young pitching for him. We have plenty of young pitchers and other prospects as well. We have major league ready guys in doubront, workman and de la rosa as well as quality prospects in owens, barnes, ranuado, webster, johnson, ball and diaz. If we can’t get a big bat like stanton or tulo, then I think hamels is the way to go. If we can get him and then deal peavy to the cards for craig, I think we would be in good shape. Our line up post craig:

Holt (3B)

Craig (LF)

Pedroia (2B)

Ortiz (DH)

Napoli (1B)

Bogaerts (SS)

Victorino (RF)

Vasquez (C)

Bradley jr (CF)

Paired with the rotation above, I would feel good about our chances down the stretch.

That is a nice team, but extending Lester and paying Hamels would be about 25 to 30% of our entire player payroll budget for 2015 and beyond. I don't see us keeping both.

Sections
Shortcuts