The Boy Blunder should have traded "Deer in the Headlights" Buchholz for Johan Santana

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

The Boy Blunder should have traded "Deer in the Headlights" Buchholz for Johan Santana

Can I gan "Army Strong" on that..?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: The Boy Blunder should have traded "Deer in the Headlights" Buchholz for Johan Santana

It was Jon Lester that was in that package, there wasn't interest in Buchholz who while he had a non hitter in MLB on his resume, was AA pitcher still. The package was Lester, Masterson, Lowrie and Crisp. When the Twins wanted Crisp replaced with Ellsbury the RS walked. That was the reports any way.

Great trade never made just the same, in fact probably better considering it was Lester and not Clay.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: The Boy Blunder should have traded "Deer in the Headlights" Buchholz for Johan Santana

I believe Clay was also involved. It was believed to be a this guy or that exchange.
    That's when Law went ballistic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll admit I was on laws's side on that one, and my "No Manny-No Rings" drew his praises, short-lived as they were.

I wanted Buch, Jacoby and Jed to be traded for JS.

I was sooooooo wrong!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Since the Johan Santana trade, the Mets lefthander has been valued at 11.0 WAR* while earning $82.5 million (through this season). Over the same period Clay Buchholz has been valued at 7.4 WAR while earning less than $2 million.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=755&position=P
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3543&position=P

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: The Boy Blunder should have traded "Deer in the Headlights" Buchholz for Johan Santana:
    I'll admit I was on laws's side on that one, and my "No Manny-No Rings" drew his praises, short-lived as they were. I wanted Buch, Jacoby and Jed to be traded for JS. I was sooooooo wrong!
    Posted by moonslav59

That's the difference between you and Law.
    You have the character to admit it.

He's bumping threads...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I was thinking about this just tonight.  Moon is a cool guy for admitting that he was wrong.  I was fighting the Clay for Santana deal (Law argued with me for months on that pointing to JS Cy Young awards.  I was also fighting the Clay for Salty deal that many wanted also, unless I am misremembering.  Maybe someone else remembers better.  My thought was never to trade a pitcher with electric stuff for an unproven position player.  I like how it worked out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I fully expected Santana to have 5 great years. I didn't factor in the huge contract cost with the fact that all 3 kids turned out to be helpful and then some.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I remember in a three day period Law went from bashing Theo for missing out on Werth and Gonzalez to disappearing completely when Crawford and Gonzalez were brought in. Haven't heard from him since.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Manny roid thing hurt too.
    Buch, Ells and Lowrie doing well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

AGONE is the clean Manny...and then some!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ells- AGon -Papi

I haven't looked, but does any team have 3 guys as hot as these three?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Papi is such a pleasant surprise. Great players have the uncanny ability to re-invent themselves. He's gonna have huge leverage over Theo this winter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Imagine if he does his normal routine...

and gets better this summer!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: The Boy Blunder should have traded "Deer in the Headlights" Buchholz for Johan Santana:
    I fully expected Santana to have 5 great years. I didn't factor in the huge contract cost with the fact that all 3 kids turned out to be helpful and then some.
    Posted by moonslav59

I was all for dealing Ellsbury, Lowrie and Masterson for Santana.

I figured they might turn into marginal players at best, and Santana was only like 29 at the time.

But I never called for firing the GM for not making the trade...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"We offered this for that"....of all the internet bs this is the best example of the worst "thinking".

If one assumes the Sox offered some package 2 years ago for Santana, how many members of the Sox' organisation knew their true, final offer?  1? 2?  4?  Even 6?  How many of that tiny number post here?  0?

The most fun is when posters cite their source as something they read in a newspaper article.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

In a sea of Santana mania, I said that Santana was a high mileage pitcher with a hyper-stess delivery motion and would seriously break down early in his next contract. I said not only should Santana not be traded for and extended, he would end up with the Mets. I said he would end up with the Mets right after Gammons reported that he thought the Santana deal to the Red Sox would get done.

The influence of popularity impairs judgment. This board is dominated by two or three posters who don't have any idea what they are talking about. The Board only improves when each poster ignores popularity as a substitute for judgment. 

A poster, supra, who was for dealing for Santana was also for offering the market rate for John Lackey (he will claim "quality starts" validates the offer. It does not, of course).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

PLEASE SPARE ME/US  !!!!  HOWS SANTANA DOING NOW ??  SANTANA WHO ???????????

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

In a sea of Santana mania, I said that Santana was a high mileage pitcher with a hyper-stess delivery motion and would seriously break down early in his next contract. I said not only should Santana not be traded for and extended, he would end up with the Mets. I said he would end up with the Mets right after Gammons reported that he thought the Santana deal to the Red Sox would get done. The influence of popularity impairs judgment. This board is dominated by two or three posters who don't have any idea what they are talking about. The Board only improves when each poster ignores popularity as a substitute for judgment.  A poster, supra, who was for dealing for Santana was also for offering the market rate for John Lackey (he will claim "quality starts" validates the offer. It does not, of course).      
    Posted by betterredthandead

...what a crock of unsubstantiated B.S.!! Lies, Lies, Lies Yeah!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Anyone remember the Andruw Jones offer in 2006? It was at the deadline, the Sox were falling fast, and I think Atlanta asked for Lester....I was furious this didn't happen. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In a sea of Santana mania, I said that Santana was a high mileage pitcher with a hyper-stess delivery motion and would seriously break down early in his next contract. I said not only should Santana not be traded for and extended, he would end up with the Mets. I said he would end up with the Mets right after Gammons reported that he thought the Santana deal to the Red Sox would get done. The influence of popularity impairs judgment. This board is dominated by two or three posters who don't have any idea what they are talking about. The Board only improves when each poster ignores popularity as a substitute for judgment.  A poster, supra, who was for dealing for Santana was also for offering the market rate for John Lackey (he will claim "quality starts" validates the offer. It does not, of course).      
    Posted by betterredthandead

Sure you did...Right!  And wheelchair contract, too i'll bet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Whatever happened to the IRRATIONAL ONE???

Does anyone even miss him or his so-called Army??

Me thinks he swallowed Manny's jock once too many times and choked on it...and who is this Santana guy that the Sox almost acquired...WOW talk about the best trades are the ones you don't make - YIKES!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: The Boy Blunder should have traded "Deer in the Headlights" Buchholz for Johan Santana : ...what a crock of unsubstantiated B.S.!! Lies, Lies, Lies Yeah!
    Posted by playball01
    Actually, he's right on this one. I remember softy being against both the Santana and Lackey deals. Credit where due and all that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

How is this thread considered "Front Burner"?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

yeah, right! I was thinking this exact same thing last night watching Buch totally dazzle the J's...............the OP is right. we should fire theo immediately, if not sooner and tito too......why I am so angry that we didn't get santana that I am never going to play my violin ever again........

once again, let me add this thread to my list of the most dumbest and most rediculous threads ever posted in the red sox forum.

my only question is as this team hopfully continues to streak on and on, how many more fk'd up threads are going to appear complaining or b!tching about something from the psycho's in here that hate theo and tito????

wow!

Sections
Shortcuts