The Buchholz Situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Buchholz Situation

I don't know about the rest of you, but a couple of friends of mine and I are getting tired of the Buccholz thing.

First it was a situation where he wasn't DL'd for a week. Now it's going on 6 weeks. In today's paper Buchholz said if the team really needed him to pitch, he would pitch.

Pitch from the mound, do a simulated game, and then try a rehab start or two. See how you feel. If you come out the same, then pitch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: The Buchholz Situation

ADG's considerable expertise again comes to the fore.  As for me, I'm willing to let Farrell and Nieves figure it out.  Is it taking much longer than expected, especially given the announced cause?  It sure is.  But they are right to want him back healthy. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

ADG's considerable expertise again comes to the fore.  As for me, I'm willing to let Farrell and Nieves figure it out.  Is it taking much longer than expected, especially given the announced cause?  It sure is.  But they are right to want him back healthy. 

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it.

The are are in first and doing pretty well without Buchholz for the moment.

They can afford to let him fully heal, so why not do it?

Getting a healthy Buchholz back for the last two months would be pefect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

tHIS GETS MORE CONCERNING EVERY DAY.......  What, exactly is the medical problem & how did it happen ???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Everyone is writing about it, Wilbur, Abraham, Callaghan.

It's getting worse than 'Where's Waldo?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Buchholz is in a no-win situation. If he waits until he's 100 percent -- or close -- and that means he's out a bit longer, fans will be ripping him, if he comes back not quite being ready and struggles, fan will be ripping him. 

It's frustrating, but after that back injury he sustained in 2011, I can understand the caution.

And as Lackey can attest, it doesn't pay for a pitcher to pitch threw an injury, because if he's not 100 percent, fans will show no mercy. Then  you'll hear them say that if he's not able to pitch, he shouldn't pitch. 

Look at the fans who have ripped Pedroia for playing hurt and not being as effective. They call him arrogant and say his ego is too big, that he's thinking, "hey everone, look at me play hurt" and that if he's hurt, he should let someone else play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Everyone is writing about it, Wilbur, Abraham, Callaghan.

It's getting worse than 'Where's Waldo?"

Of course they are.

When hasn't the Boston media not wanted to stir the pot a little?

Do you really want him to pitch if he's not feeling right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

I don't know about the rest of you, but a couple of friends of mine and I are getting tired of the Buccholz thing.

First it was a situation where he wasn't DL'd for a week. Now it's going on 6 weeks. In today's paper Buchholz said if the team really needed him to pitch, he would pitch.

Pitch from the mound, do a simulated game, and then try a rehab start or two. See how you feel. If you come out the same, then pitch.

Tell baby Buch to go home and think it over. When your ready come see us. The i don't want to come back early and lose the whole season. Well ! it seems to me so far Buchs doing a heck of a job in not coming back this year. What a joke !!!  Lets go slow with baby Buch and hopefully we can get him healthy by end of October.Shut him down and move on. I'm also getting sick of this mama boy !! Easy to find in dugout, the one sucking his thumb !!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Tell baby Buch to go home and think it over. When your ready come see us. The i don't want to come back early and lose the whole season. Well ! it seems to me so far Buchs doing a heck of a job in not coming back this year. What a joke !!!  Lets go slow with baby Buch and hopefully we can get him healthy by end of October.Shut him down and move on. I'm also getting sick of this mama boy !! Easy to find in dugout, the one sucking his thumb !!!!!

A bit harsh, wouldn't you say? First, I don't want him back before he is feeling 100% -not this time of year-because pitching through injury will only make it more likely that he will suffer further injuries. Second, I have no doubt that he is really injured and is not faking it. And third, this MUST be taken into consideration the next time his contract comes up. He should be offered an incentive laden contract based on starts and innings pitched. A guy who is out there for just 60% of the season (if thats what it turns out to be) deserves maybe 70% of a full contract. I would not at all be surprised to see him miss another whole month.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Sox often seem to understate/ underestimate the severity and duration of injuries. Have no idea why. It makes no sense to do it deliberately. It just makes the management, medical staff and player look bad.

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

considering the fact that the team just released Aceves over his claim of being injured, this Clay situation sure is problematic....do we put him on waivers too? 

Clay says he doesnt want to pitch until he's 100% recovered....is he a doctor? I dont care if our medics were prescribing leeches as treatment - his timetable for returning should be out of his hands...and it is apparent he's calling the shots

As always - 100% correct!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

considering the fact that the team just released Aceves over his claim of being injured, this Clay situation sure is problematic....do we put him on waivers too? 

Clay says he doesnt want to pitch until he's 100% recovered....is he a doctor? I dont care if our medics were prescribing leeches as treatment - his timetable for returning should be out of his hands...and it is apparent he's calling the shots

There was so much more going on with Aceves though come one!!! It had been wildely speculated that the Sox had a deal to advertise Aceves as a starter and trade him to a team that would let him start if he would peacefully go down.  Now that may or may not be true....but every team passed on him on waivers and he's had an orginization give up on him before.   Something was going on with Aceves, He's obvious a problem and the Orginization has pretty much no use for him now.  Buccholz, while dis-heartening is not in that position right now. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, fans are assuming too many things on what is wrong or not wrong with Bucholtz.  I strongly think that Ben made a mistake for not putting him on DL so he can find someone else to take his spot instead Farrell is stuck using 24 players for every game instead of 25 players.  I think he should have been on 45 days DL at the same time I think his injury is more serious than it is a minor.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have never been one to complain about Injured players.....we only know what is reported in the papers and not how the player is feeling, but I am frustrated with the Buch situation. Either a) we have the most incompetent Medical staff in Sports, b) Managment is outright lying about the severity of the injury or c) Buchholz has really low pain tolerance and is the slowest healer in memory. Remember this was supposed to have been a strain/inflammation caused by his toddler sleeping on his shoulder/chest....I buy that....we all have slept the wrong way and woke up with a stiff neck or shoulder and we do not have to have the finely tuned shoulder muscles a pitcher does.....but 6 weeks for a strain to heal?...with Medical treatment...some broken bones heal in 6 weeks....Since I do not doubt Buch when he says he is feeling discomfort when pitching out of the full delivery....I have to question the diagnosis or the treatment....I am not a doctor, so if any of the posters are, I would be curious to hear a medical opinion other than what the team releases.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

There was so much more going on with Aceves though come one!!! It had been wildely speculated that the Sox had a deal to advertise Aceves as a starter and trade him to a team that would let him start if he would peacefully go down.  Now that may or may not be true....but every team passed on him on waivers and he's had an orginization give up on him before.   Something was going on with Aceves, He's obvious a problem and the Orginization has pretty much no use for him now.  Buccholz, while dis-heartening is not in that position right now. 

You sound like youre spinning Hugh...either he's milking the injury or the sox medical team/Gm are incompetent...there's really no middle ground...but it is safe to say that Aceves was dealt with harshly for similar attitude about his "injuries"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You sound like youre spinning Hugh...either he's milking the injury or the sox medical team/Gm are incompetent...there's really no middle ground...but it is safe to say that Aceves was dealt with harshly for similar attitude about his "injuries"

Yes but Clay Buccholz has never been a problem to this team before, yes he has had health issue before but Aceves has been a consistent behavioral problem.  To reiterate my point from before but from a different angle....do you think anyone would have claimed Buccholz off of waivers???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Would there be any reason Buch is "mad" at the Sox?........looking for more $$$?.......some reason to delay returning?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Would there be any reason Buch is "mad" at the Sox?........looking for more $$$?.......some reason to delay returning?

Doesn't Buccholz get injured every year? He's never had a 200 IP year.  I wonder if anyone else here ponders that the Sox just look for an excuse to shut him down for a while just start him back up again and hope to have him all the way through Ocotober.

Of course this is all just pure speculation.....then again so is pretty much the rest of the banter in here. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I have never been one to complain about Injured players.....we only know what is reported in the papers and not how the player is feeling, but I am frustrated with the Buch situation. Either a) we have the most incompetent Medical staff in Sports, b) Managment is outright lying about the severity of the injury or c) Buchholz has really low pain tolerance and is the slowest healer in memory. Remember this was supposed to have been a strain/inflammation caused by his toddler sleeping on his shoulder/chest....I buy that....we all have slept the wrong way and woke up with a stiff neck or shoulder and we do not have to have the finely tuned shoulder muscles a pitcher does.....but 6 weeks for a strain to heal?...with Medical treatment...some broken bones heal in 6 weeks....Since I do not doubt Buch when he says he is feeling discomfort when pitching out of the full delivery....I have to question the diagnosis or the treatment....I am not a doctor, so if any of the posters are, I would be curious to hear a medical opinion other than what the team releases.

I am a doctor, but its impossible to form a reasonable opinion on what is wrong without examining him, reviewing his records, looking at his MRI etc. I will say that I have little faith in our medical staff and that they are not telling us the whole truth-nor should they.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Third possibility: the medical team knows whats wrong, is competent (and I am not so sure of this), and is not telling us the truth about the nature of his injury, which is their prerogative.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Ehh..Farrell isn't paid to ease my frustrations about individual players, their injury status or anything else.  He is paid to manage the team.  While it is frustrating for the fans to be kept wondering about players - Farrell answers to the Front Office, not the fans.   The question of whether Buch is deliberately not preparing to pitch or whether he is or isn't 100% is something only he knows but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be playing head games. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Ehh..Farrell isn't paid to ease my frustrations about individual players, their injury status or anything else.  He is paid to manage the team.  While it is frustrating for the fans to be kept wondering about players - Farrell answers to the Front Office, not the fans.   The question of whether Buch is deliberately not preparing to pitch or whether he is or isn't 100% is something only he knows but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be playing head games. 

no one cares about your frustration, but how about his teammates? you dont think they are affected?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:

I am a doctor, but its impossible to form a reasonable opinion on what is wrong without examining him, reviewing his records, looking at his MRI etc. I will say that I have little faith in our medical staff and that they are not telling us the whole truth-nor should they.

Thanks Pumpsie....I guess hwat I was asking, is if it is unusual for inflammation in the Bursa Sac area(which was what was reported occurred  when he started throwing bullpens, coming back from his injury to take over 4 weeks to treat....is the issue that they should have shut him down completely for longer perios, rather than continuing a build up program of 90 feet, 120, feet etc, to only experience the soreness and inflammation again when he throws his bullpens again.....my point being, are they screwing up his treatment and never letting him completey heal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

It increasingly looks like the examples of malingering by J.D. Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury have rubbed off on poor Clay.  If he says he can pitch if they need him to, I would say "we need you to" and see what happens.  He is hamstringing the front office with his "me first" attitude.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I see no reason to think Buchholz isn't just doing what he thinks is right for his health and therefore right for the team.  We've seen what happens when players come back too soon, like Pedroia in 2010.

Sections
Shortcuts