The Buck Stops Here!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

The Buck Stops Here!

So sayth Harry Truman as the "you know what" was hitting the fan. Is there a H.T. Baseball-type around who could be conned into taking control of this team?

Example: Would Vazqez be playing as much had Ross not been injured. No way. His plate discipline has been astonishing, and had there been a talent-spotter somewhere in the organization, he would hve been the lead catcher all year (or, at least, after AJ was dropped.)

Mookie Betts comes up (with a minor overall average in the .330s and manages to get in a game now and then (and help win one or two), then sits while a .220 hitter goes 0 for 25 (26, whatever) with half of those at bats being strikeouts. Doesn't the manage know by now who the better player is? If he doesn't he's blind.

I can't argue about Bogaarts. He can't hit, either, but to bench him for Middlebrooks would do nothing but make it worse. Put Holt at SS or 3B (I here we have other outfielders, now), and leave him there before he forgets to bring the right glove onto the field!

Put Buchholz on the shelf before he throws his arm out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: The Buck Stops Here!

Not sure you can make a convincing argument the Sox FO has ignored the rookies.  Before the fire sale they had 4 lineup rookies--Holt, Bogaerts, Vazquez, and Betts--and routinely played 3 of the 4 in the starting lineup.  Plus assorted rookie pitchers.  As for Vazquez, my very strong impression is the primary reason for letting Salty go was to make way for Vazquez even though he is a catcher with not much AAA experience.  And don't forget Swihart, now at AA, and other assorted catchers.  As for Betts, he has barely played AA and AAA and is much younger than his cohorts at AAA and MLB level.  If anything, one could make an argument the Sox have overcommitted to the rookies although I personally am happy with that commitment. 

I think the fix on Bogaerts is to fire the hitting coach, who also hasn't helped Middlebrooks and assorted others. 

I also disagree that the Sox need a single baseball mind making all the decisions.  For starters, who plays should be a combination of Farrell and Cherington, who I am sure must talk daily.  As for the overall strategy of committing to rookies, I suspect that was a join decision reached last winter.  The same goes for the decision to dump all those pitchers on August 1--Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Miller--only that decision was probably reached collectively very recently when it became clear the Sox were/are out of it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure you can make a convincing argument the Sox FO has ignored the rookies.  Before the fire sale they had 4 lineup rookies--Holt, Bogaerts, Vazquez, and Betts--and routinely played 3 of the 4 in the starting lineup.  Plus assorted rookie pitchers.  As for Vazquez, my very strong impression is the primary reason for letting Salty go was to make way for Vazquez even though he is a catcher with not much AAA experience.  And don't forget Swihart, now at AA, and other assorted catchers.  As for Betts, he has barely played AA and AAA and is much younger than his cohorts at AAA and MLB level.  If anything, one could make an argument the Sox have overcommitted to the rookies although I personally am happy with that commitment. 

I think the fix on Bogaerts is to fire the hitting coach, who also hasn't helped Middlebrooks and assorted others. 

I also disagree that the Sox need a single baseball mind making all the decisions.  For starters, who plays should be a combination of Farrell and Cherington, who I am sure must talk daily.  As for the overall strategy of committing to rookies, I suspect that was a join decision reached last winter.  The same goes for the decision to dump all those pitchers on August 1--Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Miller--only that decision was probably reached collectively very recently when it became clear the Sox were/are out of it. 

[/QUOTE]

Farrell and Ben. One's a pathetic manager and the other makes a great cup of coffee.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How many games, playing full time, in AA and AAA does it take to evaluate a rookie? And how many major league rookies are riding the bench after 137 games like Mookie has had? Few if any, Is his small size confusing you? I'm sure it has done so for many. This kid is special, and if you (and Farrell) just don't see it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Last year Betts was in A+. 

This year he did 54 games at AA and 34 at AAA, and somewhere in there he switched from 2B to the outfield.  I'd say that's a pretty steep learning curve. 

On top of that he is another righty bat on a team that could use some good lefty bats.  I am not at all against Betts playing for Boston right now, but am saying it's silly to accuse the FO of not knowing their players just because Betts isn't starting in LF, RF, or CF right now. 

Betts is almost exactly the same age as Bogaerts, who if anything was more highly touted.  The evidence right now is maybe the Sox moved Bogaerts a little too fast. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]

Last year Betts was in A+. 

This year he did 54 games at AA and 34 at AAA, and somewhere in there he switched from 2B to the outfield.  I'd say that's a pretty steep learning curve. 

On top of that he is another righty bat on a team that could use some good lefty bats.  I am not at all against Betts playing for Boston right now, but am saying it's silly to accuse the FO of not knowing their players just because Betts isn't starting in LF, RF, or CF right now. 

Betts is almost exactly the same age as Bogaerts, who if anything was more highly touted.  The evidence right now is maybe the Sox moved Bogaerts a little too fast. 

[/QUOTE]

It's NOT who is highly touted; it's who is performing. Wanna compare; go look at Mike Trout's progression. Very similar to Betts'. And Bogaerts? He hit .297 at PORTLAND, then came up to the Red Sox. Betts hit about 40 points higher than that at Portland. Bogaerts can't hit; Betts can. End of story.