The bullpen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The bullpen

I know there's a lot of angst about the Red Sox bullpen right now, but IMO there's no need to blow the whole thing up. It seems to me we have some guys out there who have pitched pretty effectively. Namely Padilla, Morales, Aceves, Atchison and Albers. On the other hand Melancon and Thomas have looked horrible. Melancon's in Pawtucket now, hopefully getting straightened out, and Thomas is only holding down a place until Rich Hill is ready I think. So maybe the picture isn't really as bleak as Mazz and CHB would have us believe in the wake of a stinging 18 - 3 defeat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: The bullpen

thomas is so-so. haven't seen him pitch enough to make a decision really. you can't fault him for last nights outing. the rangers hitters were HOT

after we see a few more outings from him we'll know more obviously but as it stands now i'm with you, he's a placeholder

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yeah, Thomas has to just be a place-holder for Hill.  Melancon has been a bust thus far, but, I think it has to be mostly mental or an injury.  He can't be this bad.

For the rest of the pen, I feel good about them.  Obviously i would rather see Aceves in a different role, but I think he is already settling into being a solid closer.  And Padilla and Morales were just the step-ups this group needed.  Padilla can eat innings, thus making Aceve's closer move much more acceptable.  

I don't trust that Albers will stay consistent.  But, still a decent guy to have around.  When Hill comes back, thats a pretty solid pen.  

Not worried really about the bullpen.  Pens are almost always a work in progress.  The 09 Yankees started the year with a joke of a pen and then guys stepped up and they ended with a dominant pen.  Its like a box o' chocolates.  And, what Mazz et al have not noticed while they are tripping over themselves to rile up the hoi polloi, is that this pen is actually turning into something solid, even without Bailey.  The pen is not the problem right now.  The starting pitching is.  And, ironically, it ain't the 4-5 that everyone was so worried about going into the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: The bullpen:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, Thomas has to just be a place-holder for Hill.  Melancon has been a bust thus far, but, I think it has to be mostly mental or an injury.  He can't be this bad. For the rest of the pen, I feel good about them.  Obviously i would rather see Aceves in a different role, but I think he is already settling into being a solid closer.  And Padilla and Morales were just the step-ups this group needed.  Padilla can eat innings, thus making Aceve's closer move much more acceptable.   I don't trust that Albers will stay consistent.  But, still a decent guy to have around.  When Hill comes back, thats a pretty solid pen.   Not worried really about the bullpen.  Pens are almost always a work in progress.  The 09 Yankees started the year with a joke of a pen and then guys stepped up and they ended with a dominant pen.  Its like a box o' chocolates.  And, what Mazz et al have not noticed while they are tripping over themselves to rile up the hoi polloi, is that this pen is actually turning into something solid, even without Bailey.  The pen is not the problem right now.  The starting pitching is.  And, ironically, it ain't the 4-5 that everyone was so worried about going into the season.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]That's pretty much my take on it too space. I'll go a little further and say that Ace may find out he really likes closing. If that happens Bailey could have a real fight on his hands when he comes off the DL. The more I think about it the more I like Ace as the closer. He's got what, something like 5 pitches? And if he is only coming in for one inning he seems to be throwing his heater at 95 or 96. Papelbon's problem always was that he threw too many fast balls. If you've got a guy out there who can really mix it up, and has a nice fastball, he could really be tough to deal with in the 9th inning. As far as the rotation goes. I'd feel a lot better about it if we saw a string of quality starts out of those guys.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

also to those who are new to this forum calzone65 = Pike = annoying troll = the boy who cried closet yankee fan = forum police = turd

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Babe had the Mef429 moniker tuned up and ready-to-go before being banned two days ago. Add Met429 to the other 200+ Babe monikers o your ignore list. J-Bay claims that he told Dottie to ban Babe after his debacle on the game thread the other night but it was all orchestrated since J-Bay is the outsourced moderator and they both realized that the TBINFL act was getting stale and had ran its course. The decision was approved by Examiner.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]I think you need some meds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

oh! so now i'm the new babe????

100% of the time babe sh!ts on the red sox and talks about how "awesome" the yankees are. I tend to do the opposite.

you remind me of Abbey from "The Crucible" you get into a pickle and don't know what to do so you cry WITCH WITCH!!

your nothing but a punk pike

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

LOL you are more and more entertaining with each post!

prove it. lets see some examples oh so wise master pike

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

so why are you the only one who thinks so?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Babe had the Mef429 moniker tuned up and ready-to-go before being banned two days ago. Add Met429 to the other 200+ Babe monikers o your ignore list. J-Bay claims that he told Dottie to ban Babe after his debacle on the game thread the other night but it was all orchestrated since J-Bay is the outsourced moderator and they both realized that the TBINFL act was getting stale and had ran its course. The decision was approved by Examiner.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that Babe planned this on 10 September 2006?  Because that's when mef first posted, genious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The bullpen : So you're saying that Babe planned this on 10 September 2006?  Because that's when mef first posted, genious.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Chili, I love you and would normally never bust yer balls over spelling, but the irony was too much here.

I think you mean ... genius ...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The bullpen : Chili, I love you and would normally never bust yer balls over spelling, but the irony was too much here. I think you mean ... genius ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

hahaha.  That's the moral high ground lost!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to The bullpen:
    [QUOTE]I know there's a lot of angst about the Red Sox bullpen right now, but IMO there's no need to blow the whole thing up. It seems to me we have some guys out there who have pitched pretty effectively. Namely Padilla, Morales, Aceves, Atchison and Albers. On the other hand Melancon and Thomas have looked horrible. Melancon's in Pawtucket now, hopefully getting straightened out, and Thomas is only holding down a place until Rich Hill is ready I think. So maybe the picture isn't really as bleak as Mazz and CHB would have us believe in the wake of a stinging 18 - 3 defeat.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I had to read your opening post twice, because I couldn't believe what I was reading. You do realize that the above bullpen pitchers have been around quite a while and have really haven't shown any success with the obvious exception being Aceves, but the school is still out him being a closer. Albers career ERA of 5.01, Morales 4.63, and Atchinson 3.99 which is better than I thought. You want to trust this group to protect a one or two run lead entering the 7th. IMO the bull-pen is a disaster area. If Ben C doesn't go outside the organization to fix it, but only bringing Pawtucket callups, it will have the same effect of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The starters and bullpen have all had good moments this year, but the bottom line is that collectively and cumulatively they are right now the absolutely worst pitching staff in MLB. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

This is all wishful thinking... if Thomas is any good, if Bailey comes back healthy, if Melancon gets straightened out. Might as well add if Buch turns it around, if Bard and Dubront don't run out of gas in August, if Crawford comes back healthy, if Ellsbury comes back healthy, if Salty starts hitting over .100, if Youk gets on the juice, if we can get anything out of.... please. Way too many "ifs." Sox have one hope... the stretch between April 23-May 15th (give or take) they play beatable teams. If they look up after that stretch and they are .500 or better then let's play the "if" games. If the team was smart the older productive players such as Ortiz, Aceves, and maybe even Youk would be on the trading block. Rebuild. Period.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The bullpen sucks and the starting staff isn't any better. Maybe we should think about luring away the GM from TB who seems to be able to field a contender every year on a shoe string.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The bullpen :    I had to read your opening post twice, because I couldn't believe what I was reading. You do realize that the above bullpen pitchers have been around quite a while and have really haven't shown any success with the obvious exception being Aceves, but the school is still out him being a closer. Albers career ERA of 5.01, Morales 4.63, and Atchinson 3.99 which is better than I thought. You want to trust this group to protect a one or two run lead entering the 7th. IMO the bull-pen is a disaster area. If Ben C doesn't go outside the organization to fix it, but only bringing Pawtucket callups, it will have the same effect of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]Then we have a difference of opinion, I have no problem with that. As long as you don't call me a moron for my opinion we have no issues. To me Albers looked pretty good last year until he broke down from overuse. Morales' problem has always been his control, and he seems to be putting the ball over the plate more since maybe last September, and he has good stuff if he's throwing strikes. Atchison has always thrown strikes which is why Tito loved him. Will he ever be the best reliever in the AL? Almost certainly not but he's a nice middle inning guy that will come in and throw strikes if your starter doesn't go deep. Padilla has pitched pretty well every time I have seen him. I think Aceves has the potential to be a great closer. Not only does he have the stuff, I think he might have the right mindset for it. I'm not saying it's a lock, but I think it'll be interesting to watch. And anyway there's only one closer in baseball right now I'd call great, I won't mention his name so as not to anger pike, but I think you know who I mean. If Aceves doesn't work closers can be found. I don't think the Cards had a regular closer last year until well into the summer. And frankly I'm not counting on Bailey or Melancon at all. It's not like the Red Sox gave up all that much to get either of them. The bullpen era has really been inflated by some horrific outings from Melancon, and some pretty bad ones from Justin Thomas I think. Thomas will probably be in Pawtucket in a couple of weeks once Beyeler and Valentine are confident that Rich Hill is healthy, but they're being a little careful with him because he's coming back way early from Tommy John surgery.
    I think the biggest problems the Sox have pitching are in the starting rotation. One is that they effectively are breaking in 3 new guys in the rotation. I know Clay isn't new, but he hasn't pitched in a major league in almost 9 months after a pretty major injury. Bard hasn't started since 2007 and Doubront is a rookie. I've liked what I've seen from all 3 of those guys, but they're having some growing pains right now IMO. The other thing with this staff, and I noticed this when Jim Kaat was talking about it the other night, is that they're not claiming the inside corner, they're not knocking anyone off the plate. Hitters are just digging in against them and just letting it rip. I'm pretty confident that BV or McClure has seen the same thing and the situation will be soon rectified.
    The other thing about the pitching staff is that some more moves are going to have be made pretty soon. Aaron Cook has been pitching very effectively and has a May 1 opt out in his contract I think. Unless someone gets hurt someone is likely out of the rotation then, unless the rotation looks a lot better in a week than it does now. My guess for who that someone would be Bard unless he learns a changeup in the next week. As always, just my opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I'm sorry if I offended you, I really did read the opening post twice, and have agreed with you on many occasions. I've been consistent on the matter of the bull-pen, calling it the weak spot of the team even when Bard and Papelbon were pitching. This is an instance, where to me, their is no question of the problem and I wonder what other people are seeing, that I'm not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]   I'm sorry if I offended you, I really did read the opening post twice, and have agreed with you on many occasions. I've been consistent on the matter of the bull-pen, calling it the weak spot of the team even when Bard and Papelbon were pitching. This is an instance, where to me, their is no question of the problem and I wonder what other people are seeing, that I'm not.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]No offense taken. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I might have been feeling a little over sensitive after an encounter with hank/softlaw. However I honestly think that Aceves may well turn out to be a better closer than Pap, since he doesn't come throwing fastball after fastball as Pap was so wont to do. And when he's only throwing one inning or so he seems to be throwing his fastball nearly as hard as Pap. As for Bard, the Sox are going to have to make a move with Cook pretty soon, and when they do I reckon Bard goes back to the bullpen unless he can learn how to throw an effective changeup very quickly. You can't succeed as a starter with only two pitches.