The Bunt!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Bunt!

Wow it took a real power hitter to lay a bunt down in a situation where moving a runner into scoring position could provide the Sox with the run they needed too win the game! Not the guy with the wheels like Jake Smellsbury or even a pinch hitter like Pedro Ciriaco or Shane Victorino. With a chance to move em up Will Middlebrooks pushes a bunt up the first base line and advances both Pedey and Ciriaco. Later on a sac fly by Gomes the Sox would score the run to win the game! Would someone tell the lazy, no home run hitting, and lately just plain no hitting Ellsbury, that the bunt has taken better players than him out of prolonged slumps maybe he should call up Lou Brock for some advice or Maury Wills... Or at least stop listening to Scott Boras about all the money you will be paid after you leave Boston! Because you are not putting yourself in a position to ask for anything more than a plug nickel with your stats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: The Bunt!

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Wow it took a real power hitter to lay a bunt down in a situation where moving a runner into scoring position could provide the Sox with the run they needed too win the game! Not the guy with the wheels like Jake Smellsbury or even a pinch hitter like Pedro Ciriaco or Shane Victorino. With a chance to move em up Will Middlebrooks pushes a bunt up the first base line and advances both Pedey and Ciriaco. Later on a sac fly by Gomes the Sox would score the run to win the game! Would someone tell the lazy, no home run hitting, and lately just plain no hitting Ellsbury, that the bunt has taken better players than him out of prolonged slumps maybe he should call up Lou Brock for some advice or Maury Wills... Or at least stop listening to Scott Boras about all the money you will be paid after you leave Boston! Because you are not putting yourself in a position to ask for anything more than a plug nickel with your stats.

If Ciriaco were up in that situation, the fielders would be looking for the bunt.  Part of the reason the bunt was effective was because the fielders weren't expecting it.  I'm not sure I'd have Middlebrooks do that again though in the same situation.  The other thing to consider with Middlebrooks is that he is more likely to strike out; thus creating an unproductive out that wouldn't have advanced the runner at second.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

If Ciriaco were up in that situation, the fielders would be looking for the bunt.  Part of the reason the bunt was effective was because the fielders weren't expecting it.  I'm not sure I'd have Middlebrooks do that again though in the same situation.  The other thing to consider with Middlebrooks is that he is more likely to strike out; thus creating an unproductive out that wouldn't have advanced the runner at second.  

Actually the Twins were playing in for the bunt but only on the third base side. In any case the sox failure to utilize the bunt as a tool to advance runners is embarrassing! Little leaguers even use the sacrafice bunt as a tool too move runners along. In Smellsbury's case he needs to start hitting and though he had a hit tonight it was a two glove deflection hit. He was truly an amazing guy to watch before his 32 HR season,not so much since then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Actually the Twins were playing in for the bunt but only on the third base side. In any case the sox failure to utilize the bunt as a tool to advance runners is embarrassing! Little leaguers even use the sacrafice bunt as a tool too move runners along. In Smellsbury's case he needs to start hitting and though he had a hit tonight it was a two glove deflection hit. He was truly an amazing guy to watch before his 32 HR season,not so much since then.

The bunt ended up leading to a run, but Gomes could have just as easily grounded into an inning-ending double play.  

Also, I wouldn't use what Little Leaguers do as an example for the pros.  That example, combined with the use of "Smellsbury", makes yours a Little League post.  And so what if it was a glove deflection hit?  It was hit hard and it got the job done.  It the shortstop picked it, it would have been a great play and bad break for the Sox.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The bunt ended up leading to a run, but Gomes could have just as easily grounded into an inning-ending double play.  

Also, I wouldn't use what Little Leaguers do as an example for the pros.  That example, combined with the use of "Smellsbury", makes yours a Little League post.  And so what if it was a glove deflection hit?  It was hit hard and it got the job done.  It the shortstop picked it, it would have been a great play and bad break for the Sox.  

Well if my usage of terminology like little leaguer and Smellsbury  upsets your sensative side don't read my posts. I'm not posting here to cause arguements. Simply stating facts. Smellsbury hasn't been the same player since he stopped utilizing his wheels. He's an average OF whose lone skill is the running game. He has a spaghetti arm and when he's gone he won't be missed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It surprised me when Ellsbury didn't beat out an infield hit that the SS bobbled.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Bozo you're better than this....Ellsbury's struggles date back to his injuring his shoulder...Boras has nothing to do with it. No need for you to stoop to soft laws level....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Smellsbury?

cute nickname

what are u?

10 years old?

I'm probably older than you ! However it's not important how old I am. You obviously are a prepubescent. If you don't like my nicknames tell the Ellsbury to play baseball like a Major leaguer in good standing. I'll call him Smellsbury until that time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BINGO !!!!  And this is just how we/Sox got off to a great start in APRIL by being "smart, agressive and playing in MOTION" instead of waiting around for the LONG BALL !!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Bozo you're better than this....Ellsbury's struggles date back to his injuring his shoulder...Boras has nothing to do with it. No need for you to stoop to soft laws level....

Beantowne I've been posting nicknames since I began posting on this site and they only reflect the status of a player at the time of the posting. Unfortunately we disagree,as I believe alot of Jake's problems do stem from the visions of dollar signs dancing in his head,and I'm pretty sure where those visions were conjured up! Scott Boras. I don't begrudge anyone hoping to make a dollar,I do however take umbridge to those who impersonate baseball players while attempting to extract a few measley pence more based on the dreams of scam artist.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Great bunt by Will. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

It surprised me when Ellsbury didn't beat out an infield hit that the SS bobbled.

Am I the only guy here who sees that Jake has stopped running everything out? Wow if thats the case you folks are teetering on becoming pink hats without hope. He has become Papi when running out ground balls. No offense to either of them,I just call them as I see them. Papi at least has an excuse Achiles tendons are a real pain to deal with,but in Jakes case it emplifies a true lack of his usual hustle which is why he became a fan favorite with no apparent excuse for it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There are no pink hats on this forum.  The pink hats were bandwagon Sox fans with money.  The pink hats have deserted the Sox by now.  That's why the sellout streak is over. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The bunt was brilliant by Farrell. Middy bunts and moves the runners over, he knows they will IBB Drew (LHH) to load the bases for a guy with power in Gomes. He just needs to hit one deep enough to score. Perfect text book of how to manufacture a run when theyve been hard to come by all night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

BINGO !!!!  And this is just how we/Sox got off to a great start in APRIL by being "smart, agressive and playing in MOTION" instead of waiting around for the LONG BALL !!!

That is why u maoned and whined about Ortiz then right Bozo?

Hey MR. Leno I have never gotten on Papi. I had questions as to whether he was going to be healthy enough too play again and he's answered them. As a fan of the Boston Red Sox  I have the right to question any players health and the good of the team. Unlike you I've been rooting for this team since 1960, I've seen good players and bad and if they were either shining or bringing the team down I still root for their success. I have had concern for every Red Sox player for over 50 years. I'm glad most of my friends know more about the game than you obviously don't. Call up Dewey or Carlton or even The Duke and they'll all laugh at your misconceptions of my knowledge level. the truth is you fair weather fans with your pink hats can't handle the truth,Jake has abandoned the one aspect of baseball that he excelled at,the running game!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Actually the Twins were playing in for the bunt but only on the third base side. In any case the sox failure to utilize the bunt as a tool to advance runners is embarrassing!

Sacrifice bunts are usually bad plays.  Last night's situation was actually the perfect situation.

But that's not the important part, since that was the more obvious and straightforward call.

How did you feel about the preceding AB?  What you are glossing over is the fact that Pedroia was only in scoring position because Farrell didn't call for the bunt.

Do you feel Farrell made a bad call not having Papi sacrifice, or do you feel strongly both ways?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sportsbozo, you obviously don't understand what a pink hat is-or was, actually.  You're confusing pink hat with pollyanna.  A pollyanna is a true fan who always looks on the bright side even if there is none.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Am I the only guy here who sees that Jake has stopped running everything out? Wow if thats the case you folks are teetering on becoming pink hats without hope. He has become Papi when running out ground balls. No offense to either of them,I just call them as I see them. Papi at least has an excuse Achiles tendons are a real pain to deal with,but in Jakes case it emplifies a true lack of his usual hustle which is why he became a fan favorite with no apparent excuse for it.

I watched the play and it looked like he was running full out.  The SS only bobbled it for a second, and he was only out by a split second.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

That is why u maoned and whined about Ortiz then right Bozo?

Hey MR. Leno I have never gotten on Papi. I had questions as to whether he was going to be healthy enough too play again and he's answered them. As a fan of the Boston Red Sox  I have the right to question any players health and the good of the team. Unlike you I've been rooting for this team since 1960, I've seen good players and bad and if they were either shining or bringing the team down I still root for their success. I have had concern for every Red Sox player for over 50 years. I'm glad most of my friends know more about the game than you obviously don't. Call up Dewey or Carlton or even The Duke and they'll all laugh at your misconceptions of my knowledge level. the truth is you fair weather fans with your pink hats can't handle the truth,Jake has abandoned the one aspect of baseball that he excelled at,the running game!!!!

U do not even know what a pink hat is.

again u have earned your screen name.

whatever Leno,letterman or is it Kimmel.. All of you who think that pink hat means you show up to sing Sweet Caroline raise your hand. Or maybe you think fenway is a social event. A pink hat in my eyes is a completely different type of person. Have a good day.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

whatever Leno,letterman or is it Kimmel.. All of you who think that pink hat means you show up to sing Sweet Caroline raise your hand. Or maybe you think fenway is a social event. A pink hat in my eyes is a completely different type of person. Have a good day.

OK, bozo, here's your chance to clear it up.  What's your definition of pink hat?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Sportsbozo, you obviously don't understand what a pink hat is-or was, actually.  You're confusing pink hat with pollyanna.  A pollyanna is a true fan who always looks on the bright side even if there is none.

I'm a realist. I don't watch baseball to sing songs or to be a rah rah type! The purist in me is why I applaud the bunt by Middlebrooks, and whether he did it on his own or via a bunt sign is of little or no consequence to me. If the Sox or any team for that fact used every aspect of the game in the proper context they would excel. The little things are what define the ability of a player (s). The refusel to adhere the the rudiments is what seperates the good from the great,the great ballplayers excel in all aspects of the game! Whether it's on offense or defense, throwing the ball to the proper base for an outfielder on anything hit to them, to making a turn at first in an attempt to draw a throw which might go errant by an offensive player these are the tiny nuggets which make my eyes dance with joy. Watching the towering HR is nice,but watching an outfielder deke a runner into trying to extend a single into a double just for the purpose of throwing him out is just as picturesque to me.

Sections
Shortcuts