The Chicken Littles are out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

The Chicken Littles are out

As usual the Chicken Little's amongst Red Sox Nation are now out in full force because the Yankees made a couple of moves yesterday, trading for Pineda (good trade for both teams) and signing Hiroki Kuroda.

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!

Ben C, you must respond to this and SPEND, SPEND, SPEND!!

Go out there and OVERPAY for Edwin Jackson on a multi-year deal - we need a 4th or 5th starter afterall. Sign Roy Oswalt too, pay him more than what Kuroda got, who cares, can't you see the SKY IS FALLING!!!

Sell the farm for Jair Jurrjens - THE SKY IS FALLING!!

What if Beckett/Lester/Buccholz can't pitch 200 innings each...THE SKY IS FALLING!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: The Chicken Littles are out

In fairness, the chances of having 3 starters all pitch 200 innings is pretty slim.  (That goes for every team)  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out:
    [QUOTE]In fairness, the chances of having 3 starters all pitch 200 innings is pretty slim.  (That goes for every team)  
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I agree JB, today's game does not sponsor pitchers getting 200 innings, unless they can keep their pitch counts down in the early innings...something Halladay, Verlander and pitchers of that ilk do often. Teams now try to build bullpens from the 6th inning on, just as our Red Sox are doing.

As expected the Chicken Littles are staying clear of this discussion...preferring to keep the ones referring to the Yankee acquistions flourishing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : I agree JB, today's game does not sponsor pitchers getting 200 innings, unless they can keep their pitch counts down in the early innings...something Halladay, Verlander and pitchers of that ilk do often. Teams now try to build bullpens from the 6th inning on, just as our Red Sox are doing. As expected the Chicken Littles are staying clear of this discussion...preferring to keep the ones referring to the Yankee acquistions flourishing.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

if you are lucky, maybe some of the chicken littles will take a leap from the Tobin Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : I agree JB, today's game does not sponsor pitchers getting 200 innings, unless they can keep their pitch counts down in the early innings...something Halladay, Verlander and pitchers of that ilk do often. Teams now try to build bullpens from the 6th inning on, just as our Red Sox are doing. As expected the Chicken Littles are staying clear of this discussion...preferring to keep the ones referring to the Yankee acquistions flourishing.

Yep, it's important to keep in mind that the Sox are in a similar situation to the 2011 Yankees heading into the season.  Good offense, with an injury prone 3B.  With questions at the 4 and 5 spot in the rotation (Nova and Colon), and dumpster dive players for rotation depth ahead of the "killer B's" (including the one who worked out in Garcia).  Only real difference is that the Yanks had outfielders for all 3 spots at this point, but it's too early to worry about the offense.  Especially considering the lack of production from RF last season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

THANK YOU!!!!

It is unbelievable how entitled some fans are or have become.  If a team other than the Red Sox, and lord knows when it is the Yankees, the Red Sox are immediately at fault for not making the same move first.  BUT then when we end up with Dice-k, Lackey, Crawford, Jenks, etc....  The Red Sox are idiots for being reactionary and over spending. 

How dare other teams have the nerve to make a trade w/out including the Red Sox. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : if you are lucky, maybe some of the chicken littles will take a leap from the Tobin
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

jessey, were you happy about the Yankee acquisitions, I think Pineda will be a beast...Kuroda is something like 70 so who knows what you'll get from him...but I think he'd be a very good 4th or 4th starter in the Yank rotation.

I still see the Sox acquiring at least one major league level pitcher before spring training...then the fun can begin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : jessey, were you happy about the Yankee acquisitions, I think Pineda will be a beast...Kuroda is something like 70 so who knows what you'll get from him...but I think he'd be a very good 4th or 4th starter in the Yank rotation. I still see the Sox acquiring at least one major league level pitcher before spring training...then the fun can begin.

I am definitely good with the Kuroda move. 10 mil for one year. It is a shot and hoping he can pitch to an ERA of 4.00 and it gives the kids one more year to progress in AAA while keep NY competitive for the Division. I think NY learned a valuable lesson in 2008 when they tried Joba, Hughes and Kennedy in the rotation to start the year and we know that failed.

As for the trade, to be honest, I just don't know. Scouting reports say this, that and the other thing about all players involved; but when it comes to kids, it is a crap shoot. I knew Montero was not long for the NY world. R. Martin went a long way to secure the catchers position and Romine is the catcher of the future (2015 - ). The DH spot is needed to rest A-Rod and Jeter. But I did like Montero's confidence when he was called up in Sept. I think this kid is going to be as good with the bat as the scouts says he will. I am hoping the same for Pineda.

in the end, we just won't  know for sure how this ultimately plays out for a couple of years. Right now, I am calling it a win - win for both teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : Yep, it's important to keep in mind that the Sox are in a similar situation to the 2011 Yankees heading into the season.  Good offense, with an injury prone 3B.  With questions at the 4 and 5 spot in the rotation (Nova and Colon), and dumpster dive players for rotation depth ahead of the "killer B's" (including the one who worked out in Garcia).  Only real difference is that the Yanks had outfielders for all 3 spots at this point, but it's too early to worry about the offense.  Especially considering the lack of production from RF last season.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

The Yanks also had the best BP in MLB to go with those lousy starting pitchers...which proved a major difference all year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : The Yanks also had the best BP in MLB to go with those lousy starting pitchers...which proved a major difference all year.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

True, but it wasn't because of the players that everyone thought it would be.  Soriano was supposed to be a shut down 8th inning man for the Yanks, how did that work out?  The Sox pen is still going to be solid this year, with Bailey/Melancon/Aceves at the back of it (assuming Bard is in the rotation).  Difference making bullpen arms come from any number of places, the Yankees struck gold with Robinson last year, the Sox looked to have their own ace in Hill before he went down with TJ, and of course Aceves emerged as well.  This year for Boston it could come from Bowden or Doubront early on, or possibly Alex Wilson by mid season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I was disappointed to see Paps walk but hope Bailey will be as good a closer and hopefully without the dramatics that Paps put us through...although Paps was lights out all year up until the end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dicorpo. Show dicorpo's posts

And the reason to not get frustrated is what? 

The reason that fans are getting rather irritated at the front office is that it is appearing more and more that the American League has just got alot harder with the transition of Pujols to the American League and now potentially Fielder going to Texas. Boston does not beat these teams. Until yesterday, it appeared that they were going to have to worry only about the Rays, which is advantage Boston come mid-season time as they can turn up the spending for a mid-year acquisition.

With the Yankees going out and dramatically improving their rotation, will the Sox even be in it? One prolonged injury to the top 3, and these guys are out of it. And as it stands, the wildcard is going to be much more competitive. The premise that this is a 90 win team only needing tweaks is one only in a vacuum. They lose a few more to NY now and also to the Angels.  Now that's an 85 win season and yet another 3rd place finish.

Why not be frustrated?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

I'm glad that you have an moniker that is easy to remember. So many other posters come up with these unwarranted long, complex names. Great choice. Welcome to the forum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : True, but it wasn't because of the players that everyone thought it would be.  Soriano was supposed to be a shut down 8th inning man for the Yanks, how did that work out?  The Sox pen is still going to be solid this year, with Bailey/Melancon/Aceves at the back of it (assuming Bard is in the rotation).  Difference making bullpen arms come from any number of places, the Yankees struck gold with Robinson last year, the Sox looked to have their own ace in Hill before he went down with TJ, and of course Aceves emerged as well.  This year for Boston it could come from Bowden or Doubront early on, or possibly Alex Wilson by mid season.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I don't know why Robertson was considered a find last year considering the numbers he put up in 2010.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : The Yanks also had the best BP in MLB to go with those lousy starting pitchers...which proved a major difference all year.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Don't you have the wrong avatar?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukebusy. Show lukebusy's posts

After last September, there is no more sky to fall.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Yanks also had the best BP in MLB to go with those lousy starting pitchers...which proved a major difference all year.

2011 Bullpens:
               BOS   NYY
    WHIP  1.20*  1.30
    K/BB   2.63   2.32
    tERA   3.80   4.11 
    SIERA 3.31   3.43
    ERA    3.67   3.12
    xFIP    3.80  3.83
    WAR    7.7*    7.0
    * Led MLB
    (Sox pen pitched 38.1 more IP.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : I don't know why Robertson was considered a find last year considering the numbers he put up in 2010.

He went from a good pen arm, to lights out.  An ERA of 3.82 and a 1.50 WHIP in 2010 compared to 1.08 and 1.13 WHIP in 2011.  I don't know how you can say that isn't a huge unexpected contribution.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : He went from a good pen arm, to lights out.  An ERA of 3.82 and a 1.50 WHIP in 2010 compared to 1.08 and 1.13 WHIP in 2011.  I don't know how you can say that isn't a huge unexpected contribution.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Look at his k - ratio in 2009. I am not sure what the metric title of the category is. Sorry that I gave you the wrong year for that number in my earlier comment. Anyway, no one in NY, at least the Yankee fans I know were all that shocked by Robertson's numbers. We were expecting it which is why we all lost our minds when they gave Soriano that ridiculous contract. Robertson is the best set-up man in the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : Look at his k - ratio in 2009. I am not sure what the metric title of the category is. Sorry that I gave you the wrong year for that number in my earlier comment. Anyway, no one in NY, at least the Yankee fans I know were all that shocked by Robertson's numbers. We were expecting it which is why we all lost our minds when they gave Soriano that ridiculous contract. Robertson is the best set-up man in the game.

I don't care how much you like a pen arm.  You don't expect a 1.08 ERA.  I'm not saying that he can't sustain his K rate (which is ridiculously high), but he also walks almost 5 per 9 innings.  The big difference between '09/'10 and 2011 is that when batters put the ball in the air, it stayed in the infield about 1/3 of the time.  His groundball rate has shown steady progress during his MLB career, but last year was a big jump up to ~46%.  I don't see him maintaining his outrageous HR rate of 0.14 per 9 innings and 2.8% HR/FB.  Those were such incredibly different rates than he had shown at any point in his MLB career, you can't say that a 1.08 ERA was to be expected, especially following a year where he posted a 1.50 WHIP.

No disagreement (even at the time) that the Soriano deal was a gross overpay.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Chicken Littles are out : if you are lucky, maybe some of the chicken littles will take a leap from the Tobin

there are worn spots at certain places ... favorite places to jump .... Marker One - FO inactive, Marker Two -NYYs got better,  Marker Three - NYYs got hopelessly better, Marker Four - our player of choice su cks, Marker Five - the player we should have gotten (sorta like Marker One), Marker Six - the beer vendors are on strike at Fenway (did that ever happen?) ... various other smudges and nicks along the way for less well articulated fears ... just the surity that juping is called for

Sections
Shortcuts