The Curse of Jonathan Papelbon Continues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGlory. Show BostonGlory's posts

The Curse of Jonathan Papelbon Continues

New season, still no reliable option at closer. At least Andrew Bailey only let up 1 run though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: The Curse of Jonathan Papelbon Continues

Wrong read.  Anyone can give up a single or even two.  I thought Bailey pitched really well with the game tied, a man on second, and nobody out agains the heart of the Rays lineup.  Plus I think Hanrahan will be fine if he can get past the hammie problem. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

who won again?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gee, I remember when everyone wanted Papelbon out of Boston, as he was blocking the rightful closer Daniel Bard...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It was hard for Boston to beat Philly's 4-year, $50 million offer to Papelbon.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Wrong read.  Anyone can give up a single or even two.  I thought Bailey pitched really well with the game tied, a man on second, and nobody out agains the heart of the Rays lineup.  Plus I think Hanrahan will be fine if he can get past the hammie problem. 

I thought Bailey pitched really well with the game tied,

I agree

I always felt that was paps biggest weakness

seemed like once he let them tie it

he never seemed to be able to regroup

and would end up getting the loss

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I thought Bailey did a great job today. The Rays have some clutch hitters and their manager is a tough competitor--One run wins are important for a team.

I'm very happy with our pen and I hope the Phillies are happy with Pap. I'm glad he got the money he did and we saved $50 M.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

miss papelbon, but nothing to do about it except let it go.  he hasn't exactly been lights out lately himself.. last i looked he was 2 and 2.  don't know if he regrets the hasty move to philly, but his bridges are burned in boston, i think, so moot point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Thrilled Papelbon is gone. Would have been happier if he'd been gone sooner. Hanrahan I have no confidence in. Hamstring or not he's always had spotty control. 

Bailey gave up a cheap run. Not the end of the world. Single, stolen base, single, no walks. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Papelbon was Hanrahan for the last two years he was in Boston. And he was almost a 100% certainty to be at his worst when it mattered most. 

I'll become worried about Bailey when he starts going to deep counts on every batter, walking people, and giving up bombs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

What a dumb azz post. Closers give up some runs it happens, Papelbon gave up plenty while here, Bailey did a good job of limiting the damage and the team won. Again the team won.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Gee, I remember when everyone wanted Papelbon out of Boston, as he was blocking the rightful closer Daniel Bard...

I still miss Bard and hope that he can sometime become an effective pitcher again.  Very sad what has happened to him. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

In many ways the blown save was encouraging. Rather than coming apart like Papelbon would have done Bailey shut down the threat. The run itself was pretty cheap, but that wouldn't have stopped Papelbon from going to pieces. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

In many ways the blown save was encouraging. Rather than coming apart like Papelbon would have done Bailey shut down the threat. The run itself was pretty cheap, but that wouldn't have stopped Papelbon from going to pieces. 

great point. I was thinking the same thing. A lot of times when the wheels start coming off for a closer, he totally loses it. Bailey kept his composure, didnt allow them to take the lead, and limited the damage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

A lot of times when the wheels start coming off for a closer, he totally loses it. Bailey kept his composure, didnt allow them to take the lead, and limited the damage.

Right, and there are several reasons. 

One is a simple loss of concentration/composure. The pitcher begins to overthrow, or becomes tenative.

Another reason is pitching is intensive and pitchers get tired. Think of a hockey player trying to play a four minute shift. Same thing with a pitcher. A pitcher will become tired over the course of a game, but a starting pitcher can become tired in one inning, and so can a reliver.  Like a hockey player a starting pitcher can be exhausted from a long shift, but a seat on the bench allows him to recover for the next inning/shift. It's very dangerous though when a pitcher gets over X amount of pitches in an inning. I don't know if Bill James has ever documented this, but I've sure observed it in a non-scientific way. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I thought that Bailey did a good job of limiting the damage after the blown save. No need to defend Bailey or Hanrahan by disparaging Papelbon. He was , and is , one of the best.  They all blow saves at times , but Pap blew fewer than most. Still does.  To say that he isn't missed is foolish.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Papelbon was Hanrahan for the last two years he was in Boston. And he was almost a 100% certainty to be at his worst when it mattered most. 

I'll become worried about Bailey when he starts going to deep counts on every batter, walking people, and giving up bombs. 

Please you have no idea how good Paps was the last two years and his whole time here. He was in the top 3 of Closers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

JHis 3 out of 4 saves and pitched the last two times hurt

WHINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Bailey gave up two singles and the second was almost caught by Bradley. With a runner at secondbase he then struck out two and then the next batter popped up. Great recovery. Were you watching the game or are you just trolling?

The great thing about Bailey limiting the damage on the blown save and keeping it tied--the Sox didn't see Fernando Rodney in the game or the entire series. Anytime teams can avoid facing the closer it's a good thing. Being tied or being ahead most opposing teams aren't inclined to waste a closer's outing--as we all know.

The way the Sox pen has been assembled we have Hanny, Bailey, Taz and Ue I would feel comfortable closing. The Rays have three tough closer type pitchers: Rodney, Peralta and McGhee.