The Danger

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: The Danger

In Response to Re: The Danger:
    [QUOTE]Not having CC hurts. Losing Crawford's .275 OBP and 8 steals vs. 4 caught stealing has really hurt. Hard to find that kind of production in the OF. The offense hasn't been the same since the .275 OBP went on the DL.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

You can't limit CC to OBP. His May/June numbers are solid. How has the team performed once CRAWBURY was split up? Is AGONE'S bat helping them win games since?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Danger : I was at the game; agreed. Based on 1 game, IMO Cam can't hit OR field (amazing, since he was among the best defensively just a few yrs ago), and now has a rainbow arm.  DMac is a black hole. Also, Youk is obviously hurting, and FWIW; Albers has great stuff; he threw a 94 MPH pitch that had 11 inches of break, at least according to the readings posted on the scoreboard. Gonzo has the sweetest swing I can recall; it may even be better than Mantle's. I was surrounded by RS fans; I admitted I was a NYA fan; the more I talked up the RS team and down the NYA team; the more they did the opposite. I guess you call this schmoozing.  We had a heck of a time talking Yankee-RS stuff, going back to the 60s. Remember the Bill Rohr game? Carbo (WS/Drugs) & Lynn (Rookie Yr/Injuries) were also discussed 
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you had fun, Steve.  How long will you be in Pittsburgh?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

False. Slugging has been weak in the losses.

After Crawbust hit the DL

Win v. Brewers  12-3  AGon 2-5 with a triple
                                  Youk Homered
                                   Ortiz 1-3 RBI and 2 walks

Win v. Padres  14-5   AGon 3-5 with a double
                                  Youk 2-4 with a double
                                  Ortiz 2-4 with a double

Ellsbury 1-4 with 2 walks scores once 

Loss v. Padres 4-5     Agon 1-5 with no extra base hits
                                  Youk 4-5 with a double
                                   Ortiz 0-5

Ellsbury 2-5

Loss v. Padres 1-5    Agon 4-4 with no extra base hits
                                 Youk 2-4 with no extra base hits
                                  Ortiz 0-3

Loss v. Pirates 1-3    AGon 2-4 with no extra base hits
                                 Youk 0-2
                                  Ortiz 0-1

Big slugging in the 2 wins, one extra base hit from the slugging trio in 3 straight losses with Ortiz going 0 for 9. 

Unless this team gets slugging in the middle, the offense is going to be impotent almost every game. It doesn't matter what Crawbust is doing or if he and his .275 OBP is on the DL. 

This team surged when the sluggers started slugging. 

Crawbust is nothing but a sale. He has been caught stealing 4 times and has stunk up the first half of the season. Bellsbury continues to put up a career high in OBP, over the first half (he's getting caught stealing a lot, too), but when the sluggers don't slug the offense is going to be impotent almost every game that happens. Ellsbury got on base and scored to open things tonight. It left an impotent offense because there was no slugging.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Why debate this on two threads? You'll only lose in stereo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Sox were red hot      and then cooled  got red hot 14-2 from Oakland June 3rd to San Diego June 20th..

It should be expected  that they would cool off a bit, every team does..

You brought up Reddick to replace CC   Play Reddick ..  Don't bring him up and make him watch  older  now inferior players.. 

If Cameron can't  cut it - - cut him .. Are we playing him to increase his trade value ?

Darnell was a FA and chose to come back to the Sox, probably  because 31 other teams  saw him a journeyman  minor leaguer..

Batting them   5th nd  6th    put a big hole in the line up last night..and with the men LOB   might have cost them the game and Lester his 10th win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Danger : Sounds like you had fun, Steve .  How long will you be in Pittsburgh?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

2 Months, long story; I can tell you offline, perhaps. Made double digit temp friends last night. The funniest: I was in a restaurant outside PNC before the game, and spoke to a young couple; the wife was a huge Michael Vick fan, who tried to defend him by saying "At least he didn't do it on the field". Whereas I responded "Neither did OJ".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, that was a good response. Fit like a glove...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I agree that the sluggers slugging makes a difference.  I would also submit that Ortiz, despite his 1.000 OPS to date, has underperformed slightly because he bats 5th and the Sox have yet to find a good hitter to back him up at the #6 slot.  For awhile, Lowrie wasn't too bad, but he tailed off.  Crawford had it after his hitting turned around (his OPS for May was over .800), but that didn't work that well and then he went on the DL.  And so on.

The three Sox leaders in total bases are AGon, of course, then Ortiz, and then Ellsbury, who is ahead of the cleanup hitter, Youk.  Jake only has 8 dingers, but is near the top of the AL in doubles. 

On this road trip there not only isn't a good #6 hitter, there isn't a good #5, and that's why he is tempted to put Ortiz at 1B and AGon in RF. 

What made things even worse last was that the Pirates started a decent lefty, and Francona went with two righty outfielders, neither of whom has done spit this year.  Plus of course Lester got to hit at least twice.  Remember, the Pirates have the 6th best ERA in the NL and have beaten teams (by this I mean winning a series, not just a game) like the Cardinals and Phillies. 

All of the above is why I made that cassandra-like prediction in the OP.  I still hope I'm wrong, but can't help worrying. 

Tonight the Pirates start a righty, so I'm guessing Reddick will get that #5 slot and will be followed by Salty, Drew, Scutaro, and Wakefield.  Francona or a reporter said he doesn't want to play AGon in RF when Wake is pitching because he gives up a lot of fly balls. 

One final point.  I have written ad nauseum about why playing AGon in RF could help, but I also understand the arguments about why that could be dangerous.  My point is that on this 9 game road trip the lineup is a lot weaker and the opposition pitching--at least in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia--is definitely above average.  This is all Ortiz's fault for being the best DH in the world this year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

AGONE should stay at first base. Too much is lost defensively otherwise.
    Besides, the risk of injury to both AGONE & Papi is not worth it.
    If the team doesn't have adequate depth to beat these N.L. teams without Papi starting, they deserve what they get.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Max

Not trying to irritate.

And understand the sense of foreboding.

But hasn't the team earned a little more optimistic prognosis after rocketing back to the top of the league?

Every team is due a rough patch, but after opening of the season that caused many of the "faithful" to jump from the Tobin ...

these guys have given us a clear picture that they can overcome  significant issues ....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Max   Not trying to irritate.   And understand the sense of foreboding.   But hasn't the team earned a little more optimistic prognosis after rocketing back to the top of the league?   Every team is due a rough patch, but after opening of the season that caused many of the "faithful" to jump from the Tobin ...      these guys have given us a clear picture that they can overcome  significant issues ....
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Such wisdom...from one who makes holy donuts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Danger : Such wisdom...from one who makes holy donuts.

:o)

The value of the holes is all the bad stuff falls out ....

Three losses and the world is coming to an end.

For the love of Mike.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Harness, what does "deserve" have to do with anything?  Francona's job is to put the best possible lineup out there, and I'm just arguing that, because Ortiz is a DH and Lowrie and Crawford are on the DL and Drew/McDonald/Cameron are worthless, the cupboard is a little bare.  Thus is he tempted to get Ortiz some more at bats. 

SinceYaz, the Sox have been terrific so far and are still in first place.  I am in fact being pessimistic.  I admit it.  But the reason why I keep feeding this thread is that I think my pessimism is grounded in current realities.  The great Sox hitting machine that leads MLB in runs scored is not so great when you take out Ortiz, insert the pitchers, have Crawford and Lowrie on the DL, and go against some pretty good pitching. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I thought the holes were the result of Mike the terminator.
    Do you not recall NEWMAN and the great muffin debacle?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, that was a good response. Fit like a glove...

Courtroom scene when Jackie Chiles says "Like a glove" could not be found. Perhaps this would suffice:

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Good stuff. That first one is a classic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yeah thats great stuff, one guy has dogs kill each other and the other slaughters two people in cold blood... great comparison NHSteve... 

and then you two silly kids manage to find a way to make humor out of it all with youtube.com - you silly little kids.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah thats great stuff, one guy has dogs kill each other and the other slaughters two people in cold blood... great comparison NHSteve...  and then you two silly kids manage to find a way to make humor out of it all with youtube.com - you silly little kids.  
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

How you linked together a passing comment, admittedly morbid, I had with a person at a ballgame to the youtube videos, which was a different topic altogether based on how the dialogue continued and evolved, is beyond me. Unless you just like to complain for complaining sake. You've spiraled a long way downward since your classic repentance thread. IGNORE time for you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ignore? Really? Or are you just saying it but not really doing it? You trickster you.... oh you and that jessey. Silly willy's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Here is the final thought:

Would Francona roll out that same lienup he had against the Pirates, given the players he has to choose from, if last night's game were against the Rays or Yankees?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Here is the final thought: Would Francona roll out that same lienup he had against the Pirates, given the players he has to choose from, if last night's game were against the Rays or Yankees?
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Well of course Ortiz would be in the lineup.  But the last game against the Rays when they had Price on the mound, yes, Cameron and McDonald were both in the lineup.  We won that game so, shockingly enough, there was no outcry about it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Ortiz wasn't a position player available, what I am getting at is a soft lineup for a soft team is costing us games.  McD and Cam were not batting 5th and 6th in that Rays game.   Putting them there, with their .100+ averages, was the reason we lost ... regardless of Ortiz not being in the game.    Tito's lineup card  was a huge gamble, and one I don't think he would ever go with against a "top" team. 

*Els might try a bunt here and there against lefties, instead of swinging for the fences all the time.  A bunt won't help Boris get him more money, but it might get him on base and lead to a big inning.  Especially with Gonzo batting ~ .360

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury isn't swinging for the fences.  If he were doing that, he wouldn't be hitting over .300.  He does have a lot of doubles and an OPS over .800 and an OBP over .370.  How can that be bad?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Els is an excellent player ...

But I think a leadoff hitter has to do anythung to get on, including bunt, so that the guy batting .360 with 15 HRs can do his job.   To win the close ones you rely on that.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Danger : How you linked together a passing comment, admittedly morbid, I had with a person at a ballgame to the youtube videos, which was a different topic altogether based on how the dialogue continued and evolved, is beyond me. Unless you just like to complain for complaining sake. You've spiraled a long way downward since your classic repentance thread. IGNORE time for you.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

That's Burrito's style: To mis-represent and end up making a fool of himself.
    Stems from poor comprehension, inadequate research, and posting with his head up his azz.
    Be careful, he may start a thread about you and link you to Moses...