The Danger

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Danger

Several weeks ago, the same title about the then upcoming 9 game road trip to three NL parks--Pirates, Phillies, and Astros.  The concern was that without Ortiz or Crawford, the Sox lineup wasn't going to be that great, plus the Phillies in particular had/have an excellent staff.  I said the Sox could go 3-6 by losing 2 at Pittsburgh, all 3 at Philly, and 1 at Houston--and that I'd be very happy with 4 or 5 wins.  The Sox went 5-4 by winning 1 at Pittsburgh, 1 at Philly, and all 3 at Houston.  Plus Francona twice played AGon in RF and Ortiz at 1B, which didn't help much because Ortiz went hitless (I think) on that road trip. 

Right now the Sox hitting is pretty darn good and certainly the best in MLB.  The fab five--Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, Youk, and Ortiz--are all reasonably healthy and hitting well.  These guys can score runs. 

The danger now is primarily the starting pitching.  After Beckett and Lester, both of whom can be beat (and in fact both lost to KC), there is a significant dropoff.  Lackey looks as good as he ever has with the Sox, but he also looks scary, but not nearly as scary as Miller or Wakefield. 

Plus the Sox are playing 20 in a row (tonight is game 8, I believe), which, if the starters continue to go 6 or 5 or fewer innings at a pop, can wear down what has been a pretty good bullpen.  I mean, Aceves can't cover for everybody. 

Plus the Royals two wins at Fenway show that our lineup doesn't always hammer opposing pitchers.  Monday saw 1 run in 14 innings and Thursday 3 in 9 innings.    It does not take great pitching to shut down a good offense.  It only takes decent pitching that is on target on a given night.  Beckett pitched pretty well Thursday, but had that one terrible inning that yielded all of KC's four runs. 

The Sox still have the best record in the AL and the second best in MLB and the best offense anywhere.  They have the best road record in MLB.  If you assume the Yankees will win the AL East (and I don't), the Sox still have like an 8 or 9 game lead over the next team (the Angels, not the Rays) in the wild card standings. 

But true Sox fans are worriers.  Too many teams have gone into August with big leads and finished out of the money. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: The Danger

Can't see Sox missing out of post-season, too much hitting, for mediocre pitching of rivals, to overcome. Moves that are made must be done with an eye for play-offs. Buchholtz injury couldn't have come at a worse time, if he can get back for Sept. Sox biggest need is reliable LH out of pen, but if out for year 3rd starter is needed unless Lackey reverts to '07 form. So do they trade for SP, because once deadline passes getting a quality arm threw waivers will be remote at best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: The Danger:
       Can't see Sox missing out of post-season, too much hitting, for mediocre pitching of rivals, to overcome. Moves that are made must be done with an eye for play-offs. Buchholtz injury couldn't have come at a worse time, if he can get back for Sept. Sox biggest need is reliable LH out of pen, but if out for year 3rd starter is needed unless Lackey reverts to '07 form. So do they trade for SP, because once deadline passes getting a quality arm threw waivers will be remote at best.
    Posted by attic-dan

I think at this point you cover your back by trading for another SP.  Hoping Lackey can be productive at #3 is very scary.  By grabbing that extra arm you don't have that worry in the PS unless another injury occurs.  When Clay gets back you have four quality starters and can only hope Lackey gets better, otherwise he will need to be our very expensive #5. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Max, we are all aware of the situation and the schedule, thanks.
    That's why the talk about Beddard, etc. has escalated.

I see you stopped short of another 3-6 projection this time...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The offense is top-heavy. The team does not even miss Drew not did it truly miss Crawford. Obviously we need Crawford to perform but we still can make it without him hitting well.  

Pitching has become a glaring issue. Paul Byrd cannot help Boston this time, we need a solid winner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

What's wrong with Wakefield continuing to pitch in the rotation? Is that ok, or do we need the Sox to desperately put him back in the bullpen to mop up?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Max , we are all aware of the situation and the schedule, thanks. That's why the talk about Beddard, etc. has escalated. I see you stopped short of another 3-6 projection this time...
    Posted by harness

You're darn right I didn't make another prediction.  For awhile on the first one, which held true for the first five games, I was terrified I was going to be right, and I sure didn't want that to happen.  No one was happier when the Sox took the 3d game in Philly and all three in Houston. 

No, this OP is born of  large capacity for worrying.  Tonight's game in which Wake actually pitched well, giving up 3 runs in 7 innings, shows why it's not wrong to worry.  Just like that, Pedroia and Ellsbury shut down.  Hitters one through six went hitless.  The Sox got the Salty dinger and the scratch single.  Oh, and Youk came up with the bases loaded and struck out. 

Another game tomorrow, and the Sox still have the best road record in MLB. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Different venue tonight, Max. Different dimensions. Different crowd.
    Don't be fooled by the BA's of the fab 5. Away from Fenway, in a pitcher's park, those numbers don't translate nearly as well. They are a .308 hitting team at home. Just .253 on the road. Different brand of baseball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Well there was no MVP in the lineup either--AGON, but I guess not having the MLB leader in RBI in a close game doesn't mean a thing. It's all about Chicago's ballpark.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Well there was no MVP in the lineup either--AGON, but I guess not having the MLB leader in RBI in a close game doesn't mean a thing. It's all about Chicago's ballpark.
    Posted by dannycater

AGon missing was no doubt a factor, but AGon played a week ago when the Sox got 1 run in 14 innings and hitter friendly Fenway. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And Pedroia didn't get a hit after 25 straight games of hits, that's not a factor?

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts