The Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: The Draft

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Be great if Appel fell to us...  but,  that won't happen. 

Frazier sounds good except he is H.S. and quite a few years away from helping out the Big Club.  By the time he gets here,  if he gets here...  Papi & Pedey will be gone.

Glad they now televise the draft on MLBNetwork...  It's always been a big deal with the other 3 major sports and should be with baseball also.

MLB could do so much more.  There is no excuse for not allowing the trading of picks up and down, and trading lower round picks for other players.  It would be a heck of lot more exciting if Houston, for example, could trade a few of their mediocre players for a 5th rounder or something.

Competitive balance picks can be traded......it's a start

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Be great if Appel fell to us...  but,  that won't happen. 

Frazier sounds good except he is H.S. and quite a few years away from helping out the Big Club.  By the time he gets here,  if he gets here...  Papi & Pedey will be gone.

Glad they now televise the draft on MLBNetwork...  It's always been a big deal with the other 3 major sports and should be with baseball also.

MLB could do so much more.  There is no excuse for not allowing the trading of picks up and down, and trading lower round picks for other players.  It would be a heck of lot more exciting if Houston, for example, could trade a few of their mediocre players for a 5th rounder or something.

I'd also question the venue.  Who wants to go to Secaucus, NJ to watch the draft?  They should set this up as a prime time event at Radio City Music Hall.  Or, if they wanted, hold it at Yankee Stadium.  The more this is seem as a prime time event, the more important the feeder shows, like the shows analyzing the top-100 players, will become.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Well if the game gets postponed, I'll watch the MLB draft preview tonight on MLB network tonight and maybe learn about some of these guys.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://audio.weei.com/device/mobile/a/75659173/minor-details-ep-52-red-sox-draft-preview-with-jim-callis-of-baseball-america.htm

Good podcast on the draft. With weei's Spier and Callis fom BA.

THe guys over at soxprospects.com I believe are coming out with a podcast on the draft ealy this week, maybe tomorrow.  If you don't listen to the podcasts over there....you really should, especially if you love prospects.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Speaking of which, would you trade Workman for the Marlins balance pick? What about Britton? To me, this kind of a deal makes sense for both teams. Marlins save money. Even more then just the signing bonus since its costs money to train and pay players after drafted. The Marlins could also use immediate help, especially in the starting staff. They probably have a lot more room on the 40 man then the Sox. The sox loose a player that may never get a chance to start for us. Make room on the 40. And get a player who might be slightly better, but would have more upside potential. Seems like a no brainer for both teams to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Speaking of which, would you trade Workman for the Marlins balance pick? What about Britton? To me, this kind of a deal makes sense fof both teams. Marlins save money. Even more then just the signing bonus since its costs money to train and pay players after drafted. The Marlins could also use ammediate help, especially in the starting staff. They probably have a lot more room on the 40 man then the Sox. The sox loose a player that may never get a chance to start for us. Make room on the 40. And get a player who might be slightly better, but would have more upside potential. Seems like a no brainer for both teams to me.

Ithink Britton should stay here.  His fastball is REALLY electric.  I don't think his stuff can develop much more now though so he is destined for the pen.  But he can be a set up man or a closer there.  Workman I'd be more open to trading, but I'd want more for him.  Workman was a second round pick several years ago.  The rate of players that don't make it o the majors is very high, workman is looking like he will make it at this point.  He may be destined or the bullpen (I think he can start for at least a few years).  But his talent level is what you'd expect at that point in the draft.  You trade a MLB star for several prospects....I think the same holds true here but down to another level.

What I wouldn't mind....is the money that comes with the pick.  The sox can always draft a college senior for below slot with the pick and reach for a harder sign with their 2nd.  Or vis a versa

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There will be a 40 man crunch this year though.  Trades should be expected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I think I would definately do Britton. Workman would probably depend on who is available. Don't really think the pick money is a factor. I would be happy paying slot to the 35th pick. I would use the 35 pick money on the 35 pick. What I learned last year is that the under slot game wasn't all that effective.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think he talent level will continue with what we saw last year with this year and maybe one more.  He talent level in he draft has dropped off as money has been squeezed out of the process.  Yes they've taken that leverage away fom high market teams and put downward pressure on bonus money but I think that has taken a lot of high schoolers out of the draft.  

Some of those talents may end up in other sports but all things considered I think it will make the college prospects stronger down the road....I'm not sure that is this year.

Everything I've heard about this draft is how after the initial cut off of top talent at the top that the talent is pretty weak.  Why trade two guys who are looking like they have MLB careers in front of them for another crapshoot?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Maybe I'm still sour on the college picks we got last year, getting talent in the system is increasingly becoming more competitive.  I hope the The Sox throw insane money around in the international market this year before the institute a draft

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/06/2013draftpreview1.html

Must read draft stuff!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I agree about the '12 draft class.  I do think that Pat Light could be a pretty good pick though.  VERY dissapointed in Marrero.  I was prety excited about that pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

People tend to over estimate how valuable draft picks are to begin with.  Most 2nd round players either never make it to the big leagues, or they become bench players at that level.  It really is more of a crap shoot than any other sport.  But if you follow the top ten over the past 10 years....you can see that there is a HUGE cut off of talent with the top ten picks and the rest of the draft.  We can get a really big stud here, which is why I'm all about ceiling.  I know the risks....but I like the reward.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=20803#.UazVylP138U.twitter

another good link.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I agree about the '12 draft class.  I do think that Pat Light could be a pretty good pick though.  VERY dissapointed in Marrero.  I was prety excited about that pick.

I think it's way to early to write off the 12 draft, BUT I've been pretty unimpressed myself.  If Marrero ends up a utility guy and one of Johnson light ends up a reliever and one of Callahan and Buttrey end up a middle of the rotation starter....I'll consider it a success. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

One name I would like to add to the draft discussion is Mike Yastrzemski. Yaz's grandson is the starting CF at Vanderbilt. He was drafted out of HS by the BoSox in the 36th round and last year Seattle drafted him in the 30th round. 

This year he is projected to go within the first 15 rounds. 

According to an NY Times article about him "Yastrzemski had outstanding makeup but would probably have to overachieve to reach the majors."

I would to love to see Boston take a shot and add Yaz,Jr to the organization with maybe an 11th or 12th round pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Mike Yastremski isn't Carl's son but is his grandson. The Sox would take him but not in the first 4-7 rounds. He probably wouldn't sign until he's a senior anyways. A guy you might watch for is Farrell's son.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Mike Yastremski isn't Carl's son but is his grandson. The Sox would take him but not in the first 4-7 rounds. He probably wouldn't sign until he's a senior anyways. A guy you might watch for is Farrell's son.

Mike Yastrzemski actually is a Senior this year. He ew as drafted last year as a Junior eligible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

They might draft him.  No way they take him before the 5th round.  I can see him being one of those guys they draft and sign for 5,000 dollars and then use the saved $95,000 towards a bonus baby

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

VERY dissapointed in Marrero.  I was prety excited about that pick.

What is sad is that so far I would rate Marrero by far the best player we drafted. I have actually been satisfied by his performance. Maybe even pleased.

First, atleast he is in A+. Can't say that about the two pitchers drafted in the first round. Second, he is excellent on defense and his raw data defensive stats are very good. Thirdly, he has shown two skills that were not expected so far in his minor league career. Steals and plate discipline. Both have been better then advertised. Finally, he got off to an excellent OPS start this year[over .800] then got injured. When he came back he started slow and dropped to 650. But has started to get going again and is back over 700 and he does easily lead that A+ team in 2b's per at bat.

Don't give up on Merrero. He is doing well.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Breaking News!

Oklahoma pitcher Jonathan Gray has positive test for Adderall

This might shake the top of the draft up.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/03/oklahoma-jonathan-gray-has-positive-test-for-adderall/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

So the question is If Jonathan Gray falls to #7 because of this (spoiler; he won't) do we draft him?

Ummm yeah. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

[QUOTE]

VERY dissapointed in Marrero.  I was prety excited about that pick.

What is sad is that so far I would rate Marrero by far the best player we drafted. I have actually been satisfied by his performance. Maybe even pleased.

First, atleast he is in A+. Can't say that about the two pitchers drafted in the first round. Second, he is excellent on defense and his raw data defensive stats are very good. Thirdly, he has shown two skills that were not expected so far in his minor league career. Steals and plate discipline. Both have been better then advertised. Finally, he got off to an excellent OPS start this year[over .800] then got injured. When he came back he started slow and dropped to 650. But has started to get going again and is back over 700 and he does easily lead that A+ team in 2b's per at bat.

Don't give up on Merrero. He is doing well.

[/QUOTE]

Also, hes been finishing up his credits to graduate college the past year. That might have taken something away from his game, not always thinking about baseball and having to cram schoolwork in at odd times. Im with you, dont give up on Merrero just yet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/06/2013draftpreview2.html

Sections
Shortcuts