The Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: The Draft

Nice Draft preview on ESPN this morning.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/27976/soxprospects-2013-mlb-draft-preview?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm bumping this up today for Draft day discussion

The anticipation, speculation and debate will soon be over.

And the Sox will have a good talent and a shiny new toy in the farm system. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

A lot more names in this article than i expected. I've listened & read a substantial amount on this years draft and all the pros are reluctant to talk about anything past the first round. For good reason mostly. Just nice to see a little more speculation. 

Tonight! 7pm Eastern time! MLBN

I'm just excited about the pick really ... HS, College, Pitcher, Hitter ... whatever. They say its not a deep a draft? As long as its 7 picks deep i dont care. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-4-0-the-final-countdown/

Baseball America comes out with their last mock draft.  This is what I'm hoping for: Clint Frazier, I know they will take Stewart if he falls.  If Frazier is gone at 5 or 6 then the Sox will likely pick from one of (Moran, Meadows & Shipley).  It is really looking like it's going to be one of those five:Frazier,Stewart,Moran,Meadows or Shipley.  If Grey, Appel or Bryant fall I think it's an automatic pick for the Sox but unless the entire baseball community is wrong that won't happen.

Oh I'm so giddy for tonight. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Baseball America comes out with their last mock draft.  This is what I'm hoping for: Clint Frazier, I know they will take Stewart if he falls.  If Frazier is gone at 5 or 6 then the Sox will likely pick from one of (Moran, Meadows & Shipley).  It is really looking like it's going to be one of those five:Frazier,Stewart,Moran,Meadows or Shipley.  If Grey, Appel or Bryant fall I think it's an automatic pick for the Sox but unless the entire baseball community is wrong that won't happen.

I think there's a pretty good chance that at least one, or both grey and Appel could slip to 7. They're gonna want full slot and teams are gonna be reluctant to do that. I could see Frazer or one of the hs pitchers going 1, like last yr when the stros struck a deal with correa too sign for 4 mil, and then took the balance and spread it around ( McCullers got 2.5 after slipping) . 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

I think there's a pretty good chance that at least one, or both grey and Appel could slip to 7. They're gonna want full slot and teams are gonna be reluctant to do that. I could see Frazer or one of the hs pitchers going 1, like last yr when the stros struck a deal with correa too sign for 4 mil, and then took the balance and spread it around ( McCullers got 2.5 after slipping) . 

I doubt one slips all the way to seven.  BUT! then again look at last year.  I think there is a VERY good chance at least one of them slips a few places.  It's been rumored Houston will pick Grey over Appel because he will be cheaper, but they could end up brokering a deal with someone else.  I think Chicago takes on of the other guys. 

My concern is if a guy like Appel falls to #7 he is looking at a 3.4 million dollar pay day instead of a 7 million.  We could go over our slot to sign him but it would blow up our entire draft; we would literally have to draft people we know we can't sign.

I wouldn't be totally angery if the Sox signed Appel if he fell and offered him slot.  If he takes it you get a guy good enough for #1 at #7 money and can draft other guys.  If Appel turns it down then we automatically get the #8 pick next year.  That pick with our other #1 pick combined will give us a larger bonus pool for what I presume is a stronger draft.  

Still it would be a bit of a dissapointment to not have that nice shiny toy in the system.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Also very excited about tonight's draft.

if both were available it would be a tough call between Meadows and Frazier, although I am leaning towards Meadows just based on size. 

I will be happy if we are able to take either one at number 7!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think there will be a few surprises.  Problem is even if a guy like Jim Calis predicts the top ten perfectly as teams are leaning right now; all it takes is ONE team to pick different to blow up the whole board.  I believe he predicted something like the first 15 picks dead on last year or the year before.  But even if he's that good, there is no way of knowing for sure.  I'm excited! whoever we get I'm excited. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Based on everything I have read I am not sure any of the pitchers past Appel and Gray are worth the gamble of this high a pick. 

I hope we bring a young bat into the system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

Based on everything I have read I am not sure any of the pitchers past Appel and Gray are worth the gamble of this high a pick. 

I hope we bring a young bat into the system.

Even if they'd take Slot?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I just a think hitters are more easily protectable that pitchers with the exception of the rare "can't misses" 

I would take hitters at the top of draft and take the best available arms as the draft goes on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I just a think hitters are more easily protectable that pitchers with the exception of the rare "can't misses" 

I would take hitters at the top of draft and take the best available arms as the draft goes on.

The top pitchers in the draft generally have a very very good tract record.  But Hitters do go bust less often than pitchers in the 1st round.  But remember we never pick this high.  Any player we draft hitter or pitcher is going to have a much higher probability of being a star than we are used too.

Most scouts feel Appel could pitch RIGHT NOW and be a #4/5 starter on a team....that's just crazy.  He's no Stephen Strasburg but he's got a high floor and ceiling.

If Appel/Grey/Stewart fall....you take them.  I don't like any of the other college pitchers at #7 and I don't think any of those 3 fall so I hope the Sox go with one of the big bats myself. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UWhuskiesAJM. Show UWhuskiesAJM's posts

The top pitchers in the draft generally have a very very good tract record.  But Hitters do go bust less often than pitchers in the 1st round.  But remember we never pick this high.  Any player we draft hitter or pitcher is going to have a much higher probability of being a star than we are used too.

Most scouts feel Appel could pitch RIGHT NOW and be a #4/5 starter on a team....that's just crazy.  He's no Stephen Strasburg but he's got a high floor and ceiling.

If Appel/Grey/Stewart fall....you take them.  I don't like any of the other college pitchers at #7 and I don't think any of those 3 fall so I hope the Sox go with one of the big bats myself. 

I absolutely agree with this.  I am not a Moran guy (Too low a ceiling for the top 10 in my opinion) so put me firmly in the Bryant, Frazier, Meadows camp (In that order after the Big 3 pitchers).

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

i'm guessing the SOX will make the 7th pick a right-handed power-hitting OF. meadows sounds like the guy.

If not Frazier, Meadows could be the guy....I would love to be in that War Room.  I bet theres a split in Sox land right now between who they would pick if both Frazier and Meadows were on the board at #7.  What I would do to hear that conversation. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

i'm guessing the SOX will make the 7th pick a right-handed power-hitting OF. meadows sounds like the guy.

Meadows is a lefty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Final top 15 players for me....

1-Gray
    2-Appel
    3-Bryant
    4-Moran
    5-Meadows
    6-Shipley
    7-McGuire
    8-Smith
    9-Stewart
    10-Frasier
    11-Ball
    12-Bickford
    13-Peterson
    14-Renfroe
    15-Ervin

Stewart and Frasier have too many question marks for me.

As for McGuire and Dominic Smith, they are 7 tool players[add plate discipline and makeup]. The only question for them is simply their positional value.

I would be content with any of the top 10 players. Hope we don't pay over slot for anybody other then the top 3. Stewart for 4+ million is my realistic nightmare scenerio. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I doubt one slips all the way to seven.  BUT! then again look at last year.  I think there is a VERY good chance at least one of them slips a few places.  It's been rumored Houston will pick Grey over Appel because he will be cheaper, but they could end up brokering a deal with someone else.  I think Chicago takes on of the other guys. 

My concern is if a guy like Appel falls to #7 he is looking at a 3.4 million dollar pay day instead of a 7 million.  We could go over our slot to sign him but it would blow up our entire draft; we would literally have to draft people we know we can't sign.

I wouldn't be totally angery if the Sox signed Appel if he fell and offered him slot.  If he takes it you get a guy good enough for #1 at #7 money and can draft other guys.  If Appel turns it down then we automatically get the #8 pick next year.  That pick with our other #1 pick combined will give us a larger bonus pool for what I presume is a stronger draft.  

Still it would be a bit of a dissapointment to not have that nice shiny toy in the system.

Boy...that's a tough one if it happens. If the front office and scouts truly believe that he's a future number 1 guy in a couple of years I think they would grab him in a heartbeat, AND...pay him over slot with no problem. Maybe 4.5 m. They could give him the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round money and just draft coll seniors. That's IF....they rate him that high

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is my Top ten in the order I believe they will go in tonight

1. Jonathaon Gray - Houston (may be better than Appel and cheaper)

2. Mark Appel        - Chicago (probably the best pitcher in the draft, almost MLB ready)

3. Kris Bryant        - Colorado (takes BPA, would love Bryants bat at coors)

4. Khol Stewart      - Minnesota (wants high talent player and Stewart is easily the best HS pitcher)

5. Colin Moran        -  Cleveland (One of the top college hitters and probably has the highest floor in the top 10 )

6. Austin Meadows - FLorida(wants to save money but they need to draft the high ceiling player. Many believe Frazier is the best high school hitter, but some think Meadows may turn out the better player.)

7. Clint Frazier          - BOSTON (Boston almost never picks this high and presumably won't for a very long time, if they hit big it can help them become good for a long time with their stacked farm system they take the highest ceiling player and that is Frazier with ELITE plus plus bat speed, good arm strength and may be able to stick in center.

8. Braden Shipley  -    Kansas City (No secrete they want pitching and Shipley is the 3rd best pitcher in college) 

9. Reese Mcguire       - Pittsburgh (The Pirates take the BPA and that is considered to be the first of what is considered a strength in this years draft class; Reese is the best high school catcher)

10. Trey Ball.           - Toronto ( Toronto has depleted their system and they will go after high ceiling talent, and that is who may be the second best high school pitcher in the draft in Trey Ball) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Boy...that's a tough one if it happens. If the front office and scouts truly believe that he's a future number 1 guy in a couple of years I think they would grab him in a heartbeat, AND...pay him over slot with no problem. Maybe 4.5 m. They could give him the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round money and just draft coll seniors. That's IF....they rate him that high

I think they might of been scared away from last years strategy with going all college senior....BUT if one of the top three fall to them I think they will do what they have to do to move some money around.  Personally I hope they take Kris Bryant...he's pretty much the Clint Frazier talent but closer to the majors and more of a sure thing. (nothing is a sure thing but I'd take the best college bat over the best high school bat any day)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Keith Law is tweeting Appel to Houston, well know for sure in a sec.

If Chicago goes Bryant at #2 things might get interesting. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What channell is the draft on?

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

What channell is the draft on?

Sox4ever

MLB NETWORK

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Keith Law is tweeting Appel to Houston, well know for sure in a sec.

If Chicago goes Bryant at #2 things might get interesting. 

There you go.

Sections
Shortcuts