The Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: The Draft

Trey Ball is extremely old for a high school player. Will turn 19 in 3 weeks. He is more then a year older then Bickford. Dislike it. But the dude has a lot going for him. Hopefully they saved some cash under slot. Otherwise don't like it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I kinda like this one.  It's a pitcher first.  LHP second.  Third, he's an upside guy, which means probably at least 3 years to develop if succesful, about the time when questions, issues, FA, anything can open a hole.  If he doesn't seem like the guy the sox want, then, just by virtue of his being a LHP, he is good trade bait if he shows any skill.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Trey Ball didn't come out of nowhere. i've heard some talk of them taking Ball. he was definitely one of the players they liked & some thought they'd take. But not w/ meadows on the board. Then again, KC skipped by Meadows too so... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Welp......who knows.  Let's all be realistic... NONE of us have really seen the kid pitch...or probbaly most of these players play on a regular basis....if at all.  You got to figure that the Sox have been scouting these kids for a long time....the same Sox team that has one of the best farm ststems in the majors right now.  One has to figure that they know what they're doing. 

While I wanted Frazier, Meadows or especially Bryant....I admittedly NEVER saw any of them play and was going by what I read from 'experts'.....the same experts that said the Sox would be last this year and win the world series 2 years ago......  So why don't we let this one play out?  The kid's 6'6"...is only 18 YO and can hit 93 on the gun with a slender frame.....  Could be worse....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Welp......who knows.  Let's all be realistic... NONE of us have really seen the kid pitch...or probbaly most of these players play on a regular basis....if at all.  You got to figure that the Sox have been scouting these kids for a long time....the same Sox team that has one of the best farm ststems in the majors right now.  One has to figure that they know what they're doing. 

While I wanted Frazier, Meadows or especially Bryant....I admittedly NEVER saw any of them play and was going by what I read from 'experts'.....the same experts that said the Sox would be last this year and win the world series 2 years ago......  So why don't we let this one play out?  The kid's 6'6"...is only 18 YO and can hit 93 on the gun with a slender frame.....  Could be worse....

Could be some draft stategy also ( $ ).

No, I'm fine w/ it really. Can't go wrong w/ pitching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Trey Ball is from a basketball high school that produced current UCLA coach Steve Alford and Kent Benson, the MVP of the 1976 Final Four and the No. 1 pick in the 1976 NBA draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Trey Ball is extremely old for a high school player. Will turn 19 in 3 weeks. He is more then a year older then Bickford. Dislike it. But the dude has a lot going for him. Hopefully they saved some cash under slot. Otherwise don't like it.

Extremely old? He's 18. Everyone graduates HS around 18 give or take a few months. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

[QUOTE]

Extremely old? He's 18. Everyone graduates HS around 18 give or take a few months. 

[/QUOTE]

Extremely is relative. He is extremely old compared to the other players drafted high from high school. How bout the oldest high school player that will be drafted in the first 4 rounds?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Extremely is relative. He is extremely old compared to the other players drafted high from high school. How bout the oldest high school player that will be drafted in the first 4 rounds?

[/QUOTE]

So... If he was one of those kids that aged just in time to start school, and was 17 now, would that make him a great catch?  Sorry, I just don't see why this makes it more of an issue.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So... If he was one of those kids that aged just in time to start school, and was 17 now, would that make him a great catch?  Sorry, I just don't see why this makes it more of an issue.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. If he was a year younger I would be thrilled and would have rated him 4th. Like I said. Lots too like. But this one thing bothers me. Makes me wonder if he will ever "fill out". Also, makes me believe he will not add as much velocity. Makes me less impressed by his sats. Less impressed by his command. Its a major flaw to me. One reason I was not high on many of the guys others were{Frasier-Stewart]. Studies have shown this is a huge issue. Here is a list of this years ages.....

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/26/4013322/2013-mlb-draft-draft-age-of-high-school-prospects

I am not alone in thinking this is a huge negative. Still had him rated 11th though, so I don't hate the pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes. If he was a year younger I would be thrilled and would have rated him 4th. Like I said. Lots too like. But this one thing bothers me. Makes me wonder if he will ever "fill out". Also, makes me believe he will not add as much velocity. Makes me less impressed by his sats. Less impressed by his command. Its a major flaw to me. One reason I was not high on many of the guys others were{Frasier-Stewart]. Studies have shown this is a huge issue. Here is a list of this years ages.....

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/26/4013322/2013-mlb-draft-draft-age-of-high-school-prospects

I am not alone in thinking this is a huge negative. Still had him rated 11th though, so I don't hate the pick.

[/QUOTE]

Cheer up. His name is Trey Ball, he never throws that fourth one. ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Trey Ball isn't the sexiet pick....but he's a better Henry Owens.  So if he progresses he might be a #2.  I'm hoping someone falls to us at #45....I'm hoping one of the better college pitchers who are still on the board fall.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I don't think Appel or Grey fall.  They probably go #1,2.  I think appel goes #2 to the cubs.  So if more of the bats go inbetween us I could see a Kohl Stewart falling to us at #7.

Otherwise I think Tray Ball, Branden Shipley or Ryan Stanek will be there.  I still think Austin Meadows is a sleeper pick.  But it looks like the Sox at least expect there to be a good Chance that Frazier is there for them.

Kudos on being the first to mention Trey Ball.

I enjoy your stuff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Trey Ball isn't the sexiet pick....but he's a better Henry Owens.  So if he progresses he might be a #2.  I'm hoping someone falls to us at #45....I'm hoping one of the better college pitchers who are still on the board fall.

I don't think there's any doubt he's an under slot pick. Prob 2 mil. They'll have some extra money to throw to some high upside hs kids. Robert kaminski, another lefty pitcher out of NJ would be a good choice at 45 IMO...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's a good hope for the 45th pick?

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We've apparently done pretty well with our recent picks around #45:

2010 (36) Brentz, (39) Ranaudo & (57) Workman

2011 (36) Owens & (40) JBJ

2012 (37) Light

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/06/red-sox-select-trey-ball-with-7th.html?m=1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The rumor is the sox would go college pitcher at 45 if they took a highschooler...but I'd love to see highschool outfielders Ryan doldt or Josh Hart

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Gotta say....the more I read about Trey the more I like the pick.  He may not have been the popular pick but in EVERY mock draft I have seen he was not slotted any lower than 14 and many had him top 10.  I hardly think he was a reach as many have stated.  6'6", lefty kid that can throw mid 90's is not a bad thing people!

BTW......no idea who any of these players being drafted are...

Another 'BTW'.....  gota love Papi!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

#45: Stankiewicz, Teddy

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

6'04" 200lbs DOB: 11/25/93 | Scouting videoStankiewicz was a solid prospect coming out of the Texas high school ranks, taken in the second round of the 2012 Draft by the New York Mets. He didn't sign, but instead of heading to the University of Arkansas, he switched to Seminole State College, a junior college in Oklahoma, so he could be eligible for this year's Draft. It could end up being a good move, as the lanky and projectable right-hander has thrown well in the JUCO ranks. Stankiewicz has always had a good fastball, one that could be plus when all is said and done. His secondary stuff isn't nearly as good, but there's the chance his breaking ball and changeup could be Major League average in the future. He has good pitchability, command the ball well and mixing his pitches smartly. If he can tighten up the secondary stuff, he has the chance to be a solid middle-of-the-rotation type starter down the line.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

Just great. I look forward to the years and years of BDC posters mis-spelling his name. Trey Ball was simple. But no, they just had to change it up and make things complicated... 

Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Just great. I look forward to the years and years of BDC posters mis-spelling his name. Trey Ball was simple. But no, they just had to change it up and make things complicated... 

Laughing

[/QUOTE]

I promise I will mispell his name regularly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Stanky might be a good nickname for him...when he's pitching good we can say he's throwing that stanky stuff. 

Sections
Shortcuts