The Draft

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: The Draft

Between all of the mock drafts and scouting reports I've read the consensus top 6 talent seems to be:

Appel 

Gray

Frazier

Bryant

Stewart

Moran.

It is very likely that one of the teams in front of us and possibly a couple will reach for a player so they can save money and spend it elsewhere.  So one of those 6 guys is sure to be available, but if they are all gone I think Trey Ball or Branden Shipley are very solid picks as well.  Shipley has been described as the best LHP in the draft and a more athletic Henry Owens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sorry that is Trey ball I was referring too, not Shipley 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Here is a name ive seen thrown around for the red sox second pick.  Ryan  could fall to us at 45.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/1/12/3859632/2013-mlb-draft-profile-ryan-boldt-of-red-wing-mn-hs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Saw some videos of Frazier. Kids got lightning bat speed and a big arm in the OF. Hes raw, but looks good for a High Schooler. We do need OF'ers in the system although he wouldnt be in Boston anytime soon 2016-17 maybe, and thats pushing it. Unless he adjusts unusually fast.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Saw some videos of Frazier. Kids got lightning bat speed and a big arm in the OF. Hes raw, but looks good for a High Schooler. We do need OF'ers in the system although he wouldnt be in Boston anytime soon 2016-17 maybe, and thats pushing it. Unless he adjusts unusually fast.

Outfield depth in the minors I think is a bit of a weakeness too.  Sure Brentz is ok and I think JBJ has a chance to be a star but I don't think Brentz reaches that level and there is no one after that.  There is Manuel Margot but he is too far off to project in the majors.   Keep in mind that the Sox do ultimately move a lot of there infield prospects to the outfield.  They have a reputation of drafting mostly infielders and up the middle players and moving them off position when they grow into their bodys.

I think there is a good chance that Xander Bogaerts ends up in left field, and I think Clint Frazier has the arm for right.  I know it's kinda ridiculous to project a future outfield with prospects + draft prospects but the prospect of (pun totally intended) a Xander/JBJ/Frazier outfield is very exciting. 

I hope the Sox go with highschool talent with higher upside this time around.  I know there is more risk with that strategy but look at what last year brought?

I know you can't close the book on last years draft (especially with Buttrey and Callahan yet to throw a pitch) but the class of Marrero, Light, and Johnson has been very underwhelming. 

Another kid I like for the second pick is another highschool outfielder just like Clint Frazier and Ryan Boldt is Josh Hart. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

The biggest thing I want from this draft is somebody we can actually sign.  The top 2 players mentioned with the 7 pick (Frazier and Stewart) may not even sign.  Frazier is leaning towards going to Georgia and Stewart is enamored with being a QB.  If we can get some kind of commitment from either player then I'd be happy with either one..... 

I really like Bryant though......wishful thinking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

The biggest thing I want from this draft is somebody we can actually sign.  The top 2 players mentioned with the 7 pick (Frazier and Stewart) may not even sign.  Frazier is leaning towards going to Georgia and Stewart is enamored with being a QB.  If we can get some kind of commitment from either player then I'd be happy with either one..... 

I really like Bryant though......wishful thinking.

I've heard Stewart is the harder sign of the two, I heard Frazier was willing to sign.  At 7 I think he will take slot.  But I'm sure the Sox have had a lot of communication with a handful of guys they think will be there for them.  THEY know if they can sign them and about how much it would take.

Worst case scenario we don't sign someone with the 7th pick which in turn leads to the #8th pick next year in what is supposedly a stronger draft. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd take Bryant in a heartbeat.  No way he falls to us unless Houston cuts a deal with the first pick in which case Appel and Grey go #2 #3 a few teams might like Frazier and Stewart better (Doubt it but who knows) it would then only take 1 or 2 teams to reach with the pick and make a deal so they can spread around their money.

If that did happen and Bryant fell, I see no way that Florida doesn't sign him at 6 so that's a pipe dream.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I'd take Bryant in a heartbeat.  No way he falls to us unless Houston cuts a deal with the first pick in which case Appel and Grey go #2 #3 a few teams might like Frazier and Stewart better (Doubt it but who knows) it would then only take 1 or 2 teams to reach with the pick and make a deal so they can spread around their money.

If that did happen and Bryant fell, I see no way that Florida doesn't sign him at 6 so that's a pipe dream.

Hey Hugh...just wondering but can teams trade for picks?  I admittedly am VERY naive to how the MLB draft works.  I love following the prospects for the draft....I just have ZERO clue about any 'rules' of how the thing goes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hey Hugh...just wondering but can teams trade for picks?  I admittedly am VERY naive to how the MLB draft works.  I love following the prospects for the draft....I just have ZERO clue about any 'rules' of how the thing goes.

No they can not.  So much has changed the last few years that I would not be surprised if teams can in several year.   That could make things very interesting. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

No they can not.  So much has changed the last few years that I would not be surprised if teams can in several year.   That could make things very interesting. 

Ok. thanks.  With so many different 'leagues' minors have to go through before they actually get to the majors it makes sense for now.  Only sport I can think of that has such a well developed minor league system. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ok. thanks.  With so many different 'leagues' minors have to go through before they actually get to the majors it makes sense for now.  Only sport I can think of that has such a well developed minor league system. 

THe pipeline to the pros in baseball is much longer than any other sport.

in descending order you have.

Triple A

Double A

High A

Low A

Short season

Gulf coast league

Dominican summer league. 

Of course a lot of guys drafted usually start off in High or Low A, sometimes getting a few innings or at bats in the GCL or short season Lowell during their draft year. 

It makes sense, seeing how the draft is much larger in baseball and you are taking talent from high school and college, and of course we can't forget about the international market as well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Jay Butler..Chicago Bears

Chris Dudley...ex-Portland Trailblazer

Both have type-1 diabetes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Jay Butler..Chicago Bears

Chris Dudley...ex-Portland Trailblazer

Both have type-1 diabetes.

I'm not scared of the Diabetes thing.  I know a few people with diabetes and some of them are the most health conscious people I know in attempt to manage it.  If the same can be said for Stewart then I'm sure he will be eating better, and working out better than most other players in the MLB.

He might be doing because of his diabetes but the spill over benefits towards his overall health, performance, and ability to stay healthy may pay divedends. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Correction; The competitive lottery picks can be traded.  We don't have any.  At the end of the first round

heres an explanation of the changes:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120716&content_id=35035642&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/mlb_coverage/2013/06/sox_payoff_for_2012_comes_thursday

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Correction; The competitive lottery picks can be traded.  We don't have any.  At the end of the first round

heres an explanation of the changes:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120716&content_id=35035642&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Interesting. And it has to be an in season trade. Its like adding a comensation pick thats attached to a would be FA in the offseason. definitely adds value to any trade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Good article raider...Thanks for sharing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I don't think Appel or Grey fall.  They probably go #1,2.  I think appel goes #2 to the cubs.  So if more of the bats go inbetween us I could see a Kohl Stewart falling to us at #7.

Otherwise I think Tray Ball, Branden Shipley or Ryan Stanek will be there.  I still think Austin Meadows is a sleeper pick.  But it looks like the Sox at least expect there to be a good Chance that Frazier is there for them.

Houston will prob take Frazier or one of the HS pitchers at no. One. They WILL NOT pay Appel or gray the full slot ( something like 7mil right? ) . They will narrow it down to 2 or 3 guys and tell them we ll take you no 1, but for 3.5 or 4 mil. Just like last yr with correa. They then gave 2.5 mil to thier supp pick lance McCullers. Who was a top 10 pick projection but slipped. Sort of a 2 for one deal. Miami at 6 will do the same. There are so many variables. For example...the sox might think that the hs talent is extra deep and talented ( which I personally don't think it is) so they could draft a coll senior at 7, pay him 200k, and use the rest of the 3 plus mil to spread around to 5 or 6 hs kids. That way you're spreading your risk a bit. My pick, as you know, is Manaea. Big strong polished hard throwing lefty who is close to MLB ready. Will be right with Barnes, Ranaudo, and the rest in 15 just when Lester, lackey, Dempster and those guys will be heading out the door. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

"Outfield depth in the minors I think is a bit of a weakeness too.  Sure Brentz is ok and I think JBJ has a chance to be a star but I don't think Brentz reaches that level and there is no one after that. "

I'd like to see Kalish bounce back once and for all. He's only 25. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This is the first real shot at an instant winner the Sox have had since Trot Nixon. If they get lucky they will get what they are looking for and that player won't languish in the minors for the next 7 years. When you draft in the first 10 picks you should be able to draft a player who is a projectable early MLB entry, meaning 3-4 years tops in the minors! Narrowing down those players is easier than you think, just find the ones that have early entry possibilities and who want more money than the teams drafting before the Sox can afford. Appel,Grey,Frazier,Manaea,Moran and Shipley then subtract at least one due to cost. The one no team can afford is the one the Sox wind up with and the unfortunate part is that if it is either Appel or Grey who drops Theo will spend as it is his methodology too overspend on youth. As for Kalish he was a pipe dream of Theo's! The best player in the Sox organization was Westmoreland and that was just a sad ending. Watch them take a LHP or if the Baseball Gods are smiling on them Colin Moran falls into their laps and he is the most MLB ready player in this draft not named Appel.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Good thread....I'm shocked more people aren't discussing it.  I would really like to see Kris Bryant fall to the Sox but that's highly unlikely....I'm sure Colorado will take them with the 3rd pick.  Gray and Appel I'm sure will be the first 2...after that there could be some people changing around.  I too would LOVE to see the Sox get Frazier but I his stock has been sky rocketing so i doubt he'll be around.  I think we'll wind up getting Stewart or Stanek.  I prefer Stewart but he may decide to play QB I heard.

That's my hope as well.  I'm just hoping a couple of other teams pass because of redudancy in their system, and maybe a few pass on signing concerns.  Really doubtful, but....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

I don't think Appel or Grey fall.  They probably go #1,2.  I think appel goes #2 to the cubs.  So if more of the bats go inbetween us I could see a Kohl Stewart falling to us at #7.

Otherwise I think Tray Ball, Branden Shipley or Ryan Stanek will be there.  I still think Austin Meadows is a sleeper pick.  But it looks like the Sox at least expect there to be a good Chance that Frazier is there for them.

Houston will prob take Frazier or one of the HS pitchers at no. One. They WILL NOT pay Appel or gray the full slot ( something like 7mil right? ) . They will narrow it down to 2 or 3 guys and tell them we ll take you no 1, but for 3.5 or 4 mil. Just like last yr with correa. They then gave 2.5 mil to thier supp pick lance McCullers. Who was a top 10 pick projection but slipped. Sort of a 2 for one deal. Miami at 6 will do the same. There are so many variables. For example...the sox might think that the hs talent is extra deep and talented ( which I personally don't think it is) so they could draft a coll senior at 7, pay him 200k, and use the rest of the 3 plus mil to spread around to 5 or 6 hs kids. That way you're spreading your risk a bit. My pick, as you know, is Manaea. Big strong polished hard throwing lefty who is close to MLB ready. Will be right with Barnes, Ranaudo, and the rest in 15 just when Lester, lackey, Dempster and those guys will be heading out the door. 

I heard Fraziers name as a possible #1 as well. The Astros might reach to spread their money around.  It's also been speculated that they would take Meadows, Moran, and others.  I don't think they go Frazier! Supposedly Meadows has put himself right up there with Frazier.  

I 100% agree that they pass on Appel, but I'm not sold they pass on Grey.  I think there is a very good chance they take him.

If Houston passes on Grey and Appel.....the draft may get very interesting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Be great if Appel fell to us...  but,  that won't happen. 

Frazier sounds good except he is H.S. and quite a few years away from helping out the Big Club.  By the time he gets here,  if he gets here...  Papi & Pedey will be gone.

Glad they now televise the draft on MLBNetwork...  It's always been a big deal with the other 3 major sports and should be with baseball also.

MLB could do so much more.  There is no excuse for not allowing the trading of picks up and down, and trading lower round picks for other players.  It would be a heck of lot more exciting if Houston, for example, could trade a few of their mediocre players for a 5th rounder or something.